PDA

View Full Version : Male braids

Arfed
January 21st, 2015, 08:11 PM
There used to be a good post in the old articles section, listing loads of different braid types - and I think some listing braids suited to men - but I can't find this on the web archive site.

Lately I'm wearing a normal (I assume 'English'?) braid a lot, and while it's grand, it doesn't contain all of my hair well since, it's starting at the nape; what other good braid styles are there, which go from the top of the head down, which are more masculine? (e.g. I sometimes do a French braid, but think that's maybe a bit too feminine) Especially as well, sometimes I do rock climbing, and would also want to have my hair well-contained for that too.

While I'd prefer more simple braid types, might even be willing to try more elaborate braids, if they will look better - so am also interested in braid styles (even ones starting only at nape), which people think look particularly better on men too.

So I guess that's two things: Masculine braids that 1: Contain hair well, and/or (don't have to meet both conditions) 2: Look particularly better on men or are more masculine in general.

Daylilly
January 21st, 2015, 08:21 PM
try a man bun, they are very popular right now and contain all of your hair very nicely.

Robot Ninja
January 21st, 2015, 09:13 PM
Ponytail with a hair-friendly elastic, then braid the ponytail. Assuming all your hair is long enough to go into the ponytail. An English braid or a rope braid would both look good that way. A lattice braid would also work, and would look manly if you did it with some kind of cord (leather, suede, or the braided kind you find at fabric stores) instead of ribbon. Or a caterpillar "braid;" if you have some hair that isn't long enough for a ponytail you could do a "French" caterpillar braid to contain them.

truepeacenik
January 21st, 2015, 09:18 PM
Calling Gumball to the thread. Please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Gumball
January 21st, 2015, 09:28 PM

:rollin: You rang? :brains: (The closest smiley I could get to Lurch, anyway!)

The best masculine braids are really just the braids a man wears, right? I think that about sums it up. If you're comfortable with it and confident to wear it, then you own it and it's yours. My typical braided style is a braided cinnabun held with a steel stick, but that's just because it's the easiest and quickest and ultimately laziest braid style for me (the bun keeps it from fluffing up too much). I've worn french braids out though, and dutch braids, and braided buns, and multiple buns, etc. Do what you feel comfortable doing and you'll enjoy it. :)

Although I haven't had much braiding done to me in a more varied way than "a braid or two" in quite a while. I'm all thumbs on my own head with anything much outside of a regular 3-strand braid. My hair likes to be... uncooperative sometimes. :lol:

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2015, 11:15 PM

The best masculine braids are really just the braids a man wears, right? I think that about sums it up. If you're comfortable with it and confident to wear it, then you own it and it's yours. My typical braided style is a braided cinnabun held with a steel stick, but that's just because it's the easiest and quickest and ultimately laziest braid style for me (the bun keeps it from fluffing up too much). I've worn french braids out though, and dutch braids, and braided buns, and multiple buns, etc. Do what you feel comfortable doing and you'll enjoy it. :)

Although I haven't had much braiding done to me in a more varied way than "a braid or two" in quite a while. I'm all thumbs on my own head with anything much outside of a regular 3-strand braid. My hair likes to be... uncooperative sometimes. :lol:

I quite agree with everything said above. Braids to me are one of those haistyles that are pretty unisex or neutral. Again this has to be with attitude and how confident ur are.

When my hair was hip lenght I usually put it in two twin braids or a side simple braid with a plain masculine bandana around my forehead for pretty much 3 years and nowbody ever messed with my hair and always asked me who had done it for me. It kept all hair out and was the only thing that held my silky slippery hair wihtout killin the tender scalp
The ocaccional braided bun and also experimented fishtail braids, 4 and 5 strand braids but that was when I had the time.

My avatar shows the last time I was half able to put in a decent side braid and it looks okay and not that showy at all . My hair is bit shorter and much thicker now, a simple braid does not longer hold at all, so I have to be creative and finally master my french-dutch braid skills whenever I want my hair braided and long lasting.

A french tucked in braid is a certain style that comes to my mind that looks particulay neat, nice and up, I also make two dutch braid that meet together in the back as single braid or two braids down or a in a bun... my hair is prety dark so those details dont show that much and sometimes make me feel-look that I have short hair again

.... so yeah there are some ideas from a guy that learned the difficult way . :cool:

Sharysa
January 22nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
Seconding the fact that braids are pretty neutral. A lot of long-haired guys in the Bay Area wear single braids, and Native American men are fond of what we'd technically call pigtails on a girl/woman.

Fishtails especially tend to be seen as masculine because they're really thick and bold-looking, but you need a LOT of time to make them look good.

bte
January 22nd, 2015, 02:16 PM
I agree with what the others have said. A "manbraid" is just a braid worn by a man, as worn by Jared Leto. Similarly "manbun". I am personally not a fan of buns, as they disguise the length of the hair. Also, I don't have enough hair higher up on my head to make one possible.

My own experience of braids is limited, as until my extra growth last year, I didn't really have enough hair to make a worthwhile braid. I first experimented with one 25 years ago, and occasionally over the last 10 years wore a sleep braid, but after the publicity for Jared and knowing that my hair had got a couple of inches longer, I have tried out a braid a few times recently. The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive - looks nice, suits you, and it has been good to chat to others, all women with longish hair, comparing notes on the difficulty of braiding one's own hair. I am sure that nowadays, where most people have become used to men with long hair, both ponytails and braids are accepted as appropriate styles for anyone with enough hair to do them, irrespective of gender.

Men and women comparing notes on braids is a powerful and very wecome symbol of true equality!

Anje
January 22nd, 2015, 02:32 PM
I agree that braids are pretty neutral, and you can always tell anyone who says otherwise to go take it up with Legolas. :D

Dutch braids are something I see less than French braids in the wild, though, and I think they're visually a bit bolder. Might make a good alternative while containing your hair a little more?

lapushka
January 22nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Yes, beats me why a French braid shouldn't be okay on a man! Not that I prefer long hair on men, but that doesn't make that braid less okay. ;) It's just my personal preference.

Arfed
January 22nd, 2015, 05:13 PM
Great replies all, thanks :) I guess I might try French braids again so - I like the look of Dutch braids as well (going right to top of head), so may give that a try too.

Doreen
January 22nd, 2015, 05:21 PM
A quick solution to always have your hair off your nape would be to start your braid with a ponytail! From there it would be easier to experiment with different braid types, like rope and fishtail, without worrying about how they are going to lie against your neck. I also think that this method gives the braided style a different look -- I don't think it's more masculine or feminine, per se, but it's definitely a good way to change it up from the classic braid without too much extra effort. It's considerably more secure than the usual braid and is unlikely to come undone or fall out of place.

swords & roses
January 22nd, 2015, 05:54 PM
Any style can be masculine or feminine. Maybe just stay away from the bedazzled ficcares, though. :lol:

I recently asked DH if he'd like me to braid his hair one day. Hi step-mom saw us later and quickly commented on how nice it looked! Sleek & tidy and well-groomed, rather than his usual rat's nest of a tangled ponytail. Gotta say, I much prefer it braided, too! It's kind of like beards: a well-kept beard can be swoon-worthy, whereas an unkempt one, not so much.

One of these days, I will progress DH into trying a bun. He passed the last time I asked, preferring to stick to the braid. But I'll get him to try it one of these days!

ETA: I've done basic English braids as well as French braids on DH's hair. He likes them both, and both have gotten great reviews from others. :)

Arfed
March 18th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Been trying dutch braids for a bit - how do you keep these centered, if you can't see what you're doing? Does it matter all that much, if they are off-center?

Fericera
March 18th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Rope braids could be masculine, and it's possible to do a "french" rope to contain hair on top of the head. You just do the usual adding sections except twisting them into a rope braid. Hawser or cable braids are pretty neutral (although they eat up lots of hair). I also second what everyone else said. I think braids in general can be masculine or feminine, depending mostly on who wears them and what accessories are used.

DreamSheep
March 18th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Braids are pretty neutral - but I personally love the look of Hawser braids - they look different and I don't think they look girly necessarily :p

Arctic
March 18th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Been trying dutch braids for a bit - how do you keep these centered, if you can't see what you're doing? Does it matter all that much, if they are off-center?

My hairstyles -buns and braid alike - are ALWAYS a little bit to the left. I can't help it, no matter how hard I try to make them in the center, they always go leftwards :D No-one has ever commented on it though, so I'm not even sure if others see it.

And many times a making the braid off-center or diagonal or zigzaggy on purpose is what makes a traditional style more modern.

I haven't read all the answer in this thread, but thought about what makes braids masculine. I rarely if see men wearing braids here where I live, but would like to see more. Many longhaired men here are from metal subculture and wear their hair down all the time, or ponytailed.

I tend to agree with those who said that any hairstyle is manly if it's worn by man who feels good in that style.

I maybe would add, that a bit more messy styles might be perceived as masculine. And if something is in fashion for girls/women at the moment, maybe stay away from that. An example would be the side braid that has been very popular in the recent years. Accent braids and partially braided style (like braided bangs on otherwise loose hair) might be perceived as more girly.

You could try starting your basic english braid like Dianyla does (google Dianyla braid), it's not a french braid but it starts the braid a little bit higher so it's not against the neck. I can see both french, dutch and french rope braids been worn by men. Fish tail braid and french fishtail braid too. For quick and messy braid, a fake fishtail braid might work, it doesn't even need an elastic at least on my hair (but it might not be as hair friendly as many LHCers would wish their braids to be).

I probably would try to pull the finished braids a little bit to slightly deconstruct their pattern and give them some lived in active, masculine feel.

Let me know if you want some links to any of the things I mentioned here, I am lazy and won't find links for you unless you need/want them :D

Timea
March 18th, 2015, 11:51 AM
If they end up a bit to the left, try making it a bit to the right next time, maybe it'll end up being in the centre if you aim a little to the right.

edited to add that i don't think it looks bad even if it is off centre a bit. and if it's way off centre it'll look like it's on purpose anyway

Calypso
March 18th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Just gonna jump in here to say that Jonny Depp with a french braid in Chocolat is damn sexy. This is the only picture I could find that shows it - http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/4700000/Johnny-in-Chocolat-johnny-depp-4778768-1024-580.jpg
Basically, guys can rock any braid!

brickworld13
March 18th, 2015, 04:07 PM

I'm not very good with keeping braids centered, but it does help to keep the hair under some tension while you are making the braid and compensate as you go. Mine are pretty straight until I get near the bottom and then they always slant towards the shoulder that I pulled the hair over to finish the braid. Alternatively, you could increase the slant intentionally and have the braid go diagonal across your head.

elvenelk
March 18th, 2015, 04:44 PM
http://i.xomf.com/yfzzc.jpg (http://xomf.com/yfzzc)
french braid

hennalonghair
March 18th, 2015, 06:14 PM

THIS is awesome :D

yahirwaO.o
March 18th, 2015, 08:11 PM
http://i.xomf.com/yfzzc.jpg (http://xomf.com/yfzzc)
french braid

Awesome braid man...... I wish I could braid neatly like that, but with super slipery hair is nearly impossible!!!

Arfed
March 19th, 2015, 02:48 AM
Ya looking at rope braids, they are quite interesting, may try them sometime :)

My hairstyles -buns and braid alike - are ALWAYS a little bit to the left. I can't help it, no matter how hard I try to make them in the center, they always go leftwards :D No-one has ever commented on it though, so I'm not even sure if others see it.

And many times a making the braid off-center or diagonal or zigzaggy on purpose is what makes a traditional style more modern.

I haven't read all the answer in this thread, but thought about what makes braids masculine. I rarely if see men wearing braids here where I live, but would like to see more. Many longhaired men here are from metal subculture and wear their hair down all the time, or ponytailed.

I tend to agree with those who said that any hairstyle is manly if it's worn by man who feels good in that style.

I maybe would add, that a bit more messy styles might be perceived as masculine. And if something is in fashion for girls/women at the moment, maybe stay away from that. An example would be the side braid that has been very popular in the recent years. Accent braids and partially braided style (like braided bangs on otherwise loose hair) might be perceived as more girly.

You could try starting your basic english braid like Dianyla does (google Dianyla braid), it's not a french braid but it starts the braid a little bit higher so it's not against the neck. I can see both french, dutch and french rope braids been worn by men. Fish tail braid and french fishtail braid too. For quick and messy braid, a fake fishtail braid might work, it doesn't even need an elastic at least on my hair (but it might not be as hair friendly as many LHCers would wish their braids to be).

I probably would try to pull the finished braids a little bit to slightly deconstruct their pattern and give them some lived in active, masculine feel.

Let me know if you want some links to any of the things I mentioned here, I am lazy and won't find links for you unless you need/want them :D
Ya good - good to know off-center is normal/ok :) Was on a hike last night, and wanted the dutch braid for containing my hair (that plus wearing a head-torch, seemed to do so quite well ;)), but was a little unsure of it having finished it pretty far off center.

Yea 'messy' describes a lot of my hairstyles well to be honest, ha ;) I've got fairly fine easy-flyaway hair, so it tends to be all over the place; still haven't found a good way to settle that.

Arfed
March 19th, 2015, 02:49 AM
[/url]
french braid
Ya did french braids for a bit before; they work well, but I like the dutch braids more lately :)

brickworld13
March 19th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Awesome braid man...... I wish I could braid neatly like that, but with super slipery hair is nearly impossible!!!

Try it while your hair is damp or with some sort of silicone in it. My hair is also very slippery and there are some days where I don't succeed. Damp usually works and the coney leave in works for most of the rest.

Entangled
March 19th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I guess it goes either way. My observation is this: braids being suggested are "messy", or side braids, or rope braids, or fishtail braids. Whoever's wearing it really defines the look. I've heard of rope braids as feminine and soft, or edgy and masculine. Messy braids are seductive and sexy or strong and again, masculine. Side braids are trendy for women, but have also been suggested as masculine. Fishtail braids are considered feminine (by many; they've always seemed a more masculine braid to me and aren't my favorite on me), or masculine.
Case in point.

Alun
March 19th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I usually wear my hair loose, but I have been braiding it a long time now, and it gets no reaction whatsoever from anyone when I go places with braided hair. Mind you, I think sometimes when my hair is tied back people just ignore my long hair completely, because they expect to see men with short hair. Sometimes I tie it back and then braid it, as someone suggested, mainly depending on how many hairbands I have! Can't be bothered to learn anything but the simplest style of braid.

JadedByEntropy
March 19th, 2015, 09:50 PM
braids to me are like fancy knot tying, so the more intricate-the more powerful.(such as royalty with crazy crown braids) The only braid i have issue with is a ladder braid, which aren't as much braids as they are hair-nets of hair. So braid all you want.
Theres a man at my work with a long single braid thats TBL. Manliest man there.

ghost
March 20th, 2015, 01:17 AM
The French braid looks really good!

Also I wanted to say that I agree with a bunch of the other people here: "masculine" braids are simply any style of braid worn by a dude :)

cjk
August 7th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Necro-post! Sorry. But I can't be the only one searching for this sort of information.

My own opinion on men's hairstyles of any length is that the length is immaterial. Functionality is key.

You'll notice many have said braids contain their hair, and so forth. That's a statement about their utility. And doing it in a flattering way is a bonus.

But always in ways that function well and look simple.

Nothing looks worse on a guy than a hairstyle that LOOKS like he's trying too hard. Regardless of the reality, it needs to give the impression that it was effortless.

To that end, simple styles with simple braids or twists are always my favorite.

Kae612
August 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Uhm, I don't think "looking like he's trying too hard" is a thing? Intricate styles are pretty in right now, even with men's styles? Like, shaved patterns and accent braids seem to be a big thing atm. And they look both uber tough and pretty at the same time! I'd really recommend the upside-down french braided underside if you want to keep hair off your neck, I keep seeing it as an alternative to shaving the sides or underside, and it looks pretty awesome with a ponytail/braided ponytail or bun or buns. Also searching "viking inspired" styles look very masculine. And I think it's all down to just wearing what you want. I see lots of men wearing headbands, some pretty decorative, with basketball shorts and very masc. attire. They don't seem bothered, so no one else is.

pili
August 11th, 2017, 10:13 AM
My 11yo son wears his MBL hair in a low ponytail with several bands every couple of inches containing it. It's almost like a braid, keeps the hair out of the way, shows off his length, and keeps it tangle-free.

Zesty
August 11th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I second that confidence can make nearly any hairstyle seem manly. Unfortunately I'm still trying to sell DH on a single English braid, which seems like the least offensive and most masculine braid imaginable.

LinzDigital
August 17th, 2017, 02:41 AM
This is probably not what you're looking for but the title made e think of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvuhQSUwto

It still makes me giggle and it actually helped my braid game bit since I'm such a braid newb.