PDA

View Full Version : How to wear ones hair to a formal event?

diggem
January 21st, 2015, 02:15 PM
Hi All,

I wonder if various participants can answer the following set of questions (the first set determines the demographics and the last one is about formal events [Note: a formal event is one where you'd wear either a gown or tux]):

Are you male or female?
Please categorize your hair (length, waviness, color).
Do you generally wear your hair up, braided, loose, or some other way?
For a formal event, how would you wear your hair, and why?

Thanks,

diggem

longNred
January 21st, 2015, 02:38 PM
1. female
2. tb+, straight, auburn
3. generally throw it up in a bun for day, loose braid for sleep
4. depends on what type of event it is, and what I'm wearing. the last formal event I went to was a wedding, I wore a halter style floor length gown w/ a ruffle down the back, I did sock bun curls and left it down - to continue the "ruffle" from head to toe in the back.

Madora
January 21st, 2015, 03:18 PM
1 female
2 scraping knee, slightly wavy, dark brown with sparklies
3 always up and braided
4 Formal event hairstyle...my most elaborate multi braided hairstyle. Why? Because it's like nothing you've ever seen, it's original and it's beautiful, if I say so myself. I've never seen it replicated anywhere.

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2015, 03:39 PM
Are you male or female? Male
Please categorize your hair (length, waviness, color). Between arm pit and chest lenght, always cut back to arm pit every month, almost stick straight very dark colour
Do you generally wear your hair up, braided, loose, or some other way? Nowadays nealy always down, in the past I was slave to braids and buns when hair was longer
For a formal event, how would you wear your hair, and why? In the past I used to put it in a side deep parted low bun or some type of two duth braided updo. Now I would straigten it just because it looks stighly bit more put together even my hair is already as straight hair can be and Im a fan of wearing it down. I remember long time ago, put loose curls with a straightner in my hair but now Im not that glam LOL

swearnsue
January 21st, 2015, 03:48 PM
1 female
2 scraping knee, slightly wavy, dark brown with sparklies
3 always up and braided
4 Formal event hairstyle...my most elaborate multi braided hairstyle. Why? Because it's like nothing you've ever seen, it's original and it's beautiful, if I say so myself. I've never seen it replicated anywhere.

LOL! You go girl! You are my hair AND attitude hero!

darklyndsea
January 21st, 2015, 03:50 PM
1. female
2. thigh length, wurly, blonette
3. up and braided
4. up and braided, probably something that takes more time than my usual styles. I'm not a big fan of wearing my hair down even when it's only a bit past shoulder length because it goes everywhere.

Seeshami
January 21st, 2015, 03:59 PM
Female fingertip devil hair monster

A bun of some kind or another with a stick or fork.

A heavily accented braided bun or half up fancy bun with sparkles and other random pins

velorutionista
January 21st, 2015, 04:09 PM
Female.
WL, straight to wavyish (will hold curls under duress), henna red.
Equal parts down & loose or up in a bun of some sort;
Not during hot weather: half up held with something sparkly--all the benefits of it being down, but slightly contained at the same time. Hot weather: all up held with either invisible pins, or something sparkly.

Avis
January 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM
Are you male or female?
- Female
- About 28", 2c, black (possibly really dark brown? I'm pretty sure it's black though..)
- LWB during the day, braided at night.
- If it's a formal event where I'll be performing or moving around a lot, I'd probably go with a braided bun and something unnecessary but pretty for added fun. If I'll be fairly inactive, I'd probably go with a half up. I'd do accent braids more often but you can't really see them.

Savvyhorsez
January 21st, 2015, 06:14 PM
Female.
Lower calf length, stick straight, dark brown.
I wear it up in a lazy wrap bun usually.
I mix it up with a flexi-8 and try to make different updos, perhaps a braided ribbon updo with side chain braids.

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2015, 09:50 PM
Female.
bsl, black afro curlyhair.
usually worn in a bun.
I usually wear it loose to formal events, because I go with hubby and he likes the attention to my hair. Curls get attention, buns not so much. But my hair is shorter. I am sure that either knee length loose hair or one of Madoras beautiful styles would be much more striking. Actually, my own honest opinion would be that formal means up, except for the bride at a wedding.

Nadine <3
January 21st, 2015, 10:54 PM
Are you male or female?
Female.
APL, wavey, Light brown/Blonette
Up in some way or another. Spin pins and braids!
I would probably either style my hair wavey and wear it down, or I would dry my hair in sponge rollers. It's cute, but springs up to shoulder length lol If it's humid my hair is going up. It will look crazy either way but if it's up it's not sticking to me so...

CurlyCap
January 21st, 2015, 10:55 PM
Female
BCL, tight ringlets 3b/3c
Usually worn in a random, bunlike thing, secured with whatevers handy
Formal for me means breaking out real hair pins and adding intentional architecture to a modified bun/updo, as well as a more laborious "set" to my hair so that every curl is perfect (and so adds to the texture of the updo).

lunalocks
January 21st, 2015, 11:49 PM
female. One inch above classic. Wavy. In the past few formal events, I have curled it and worn it down or in a half up.

Majorane
January 22nd, 2015, 12:07 AM
-Female here too!
-BSL fine straight hair, ii thickness (with long bangs)
-Normal daily wear: LWB, or a LWB (or Nautilus or something) with an accent french braid or french fishtail or rope braid at the front. Or with side combs. When I want to look snazzy, a half-up of some sorts with a flexi, or with lots of tiny braids with beads in it for Elven look.

-Seriously Formal Wear: Sort of a Gibson log roll thing, where I have all my hair curled upon itself in my neck, fastened with spinpins and a vintage comb in it for extra class! Or a Reall Well Done sidebraid (...hardly ever works) and a big fluffed out bun with a stick in it that matches my outfit. Usually I add flower clips here and there. Might not be officially formal, but it makes me look more put together and that is what counts. Having said that, whenever there is a formal occasion I go to, i'm not ever ever ever the underdressed one (not that there is something wrong with that) because I LOVE to doll up. If ever I get a car and can drive myself to formal occasions, I'll start wearing hats. Now they just fly off my head when I bike to the event.

maborosi
January 22nd, 2015, 12:09 AM
1. Female
2. Past waist, 1b, copper red
3. Usually either in a braid or a bun. Rarely down
4. A flexi-8 and a braided bun with accents. Braided buns can look really elegant and I love to do them. Adding in accents looks really formal and cool.

YvetteVarie
January 22nd, 2015, 04:23 AM
1. Female
2. grazing APL, tightly curly and high shrinkage, black with some dark brown mixed in
3. Buns, or a braid+bun variation
4. straightened and loose. Or a braid in the front, and the hair fluffed into an afro in the back. To show off. :rolling:

swords & roses
January 22nd, 2015, 05:16 AM
1. Female
2. Waist length, slight waves on wash day, mostly straight after that. Brunette.
3. Loose any chance I can get. Ponytail if that gets too hot. Lazy Wrap Bun with a stick or clip when I'm at work so my hair doesn't get in the way.
4. Depends on the occasion, the outfit, and my mood. I'm always a fan of loose, if I can get away with it (and because I'm usually running late!). Sometimes I'll do a half-up, though the loose half gets pretty pathetically wispy. I'll do a bun if I want to make sure it's out of the way, or if I'm wearing my sleek black floor length formal dress that I reserve for Black Tie events, as a sleek bun suits that dress best. I'm also planning to wear a bun when I'm a bridesmaid in a couple months, because I don't want to be fiddling with my hair during the ceremony (can be distracting when all eyes should be on the bride & groom), and because the bride has been growing out her hair for the wedding, but mine is still a lot longer. I will rock my Puny Bun and let the bride get all the hair attention! :) Though I will probably still wear a glitzy flexi-8 because I can. :p I wish I could wear a sideswept braid at formal events, but my braids always fuzz out with spriggles all over & look awful in relatively short time.

diggem
January 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Wow, awesome answer. I was going to reply to individual responses, but then I'd be here for days.

So far, it seems "some sort of updo" is the predominant style. I love some of the "special" dos (gibson, elaborate braids, and the like) that some of you suggest. I'm kind of surprised how many do not put their hair primarily down. One of the ones I'd love to see, but never have, is with the hair down, a wrapped pony tail with braids or ribbons. My high school sweetheart used ribbons in her waist length hair all the time, and all here ribbons were much longer than she was tall. I always thought that was fun.

diggem

Achlys
January 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
1. Woman
2. Hip+, straight, dark henna red
3. Up or braided-and-up, usually cinnabun with a clip
4. Probably in a bun adorned with sparkly pins or other accessories. If down, then with some volume adding texture like (rope) braid waves done with a scarf or paranda.

Doreen
January 22nd, 2015, 05:39 PM
Are you male or female?

1. Female
2. Around fingertip-length, completely straight, black
3. Braided or in a bun; it's about 50/50
4. For warm-weather events I like to do a deep side part and then a french or lace braid that I then pin up into a bun. Might add a flower clip or other decorations where the bun meets the braided part, depending on what the event is. When it's colder, I usually do a half-up with waves in the part that's down. I think that half-ups look the best on me out of any type of style, but where I live it just gets too hot/humid/windy for them most of the time.

TwilightShadow
January 23rd, 2015, 02:38 AM
1. Female
2. Hip length, slightly wavy (2a), the color right now is a sort of strawberry blonde
3. Usually braided.
4. For a formal event, I usually do a more elaborate half-up or updo (for example, at my brother's wedding, I wore Eowyn's hairstyle from Theodred's funeral - LOTR) or I just let it down and add some flower clip or butterfly clips.

Juanita
January 23rd, 2015, 04:38 AM
Female
Hip length ii silver/ grey
Usually up with a hair stick or fork or claw clip
Side braid or bun with a vintage comb or sparkly clip.

Stiria
January 23rd, 2015, 04:43 AM
Female
Past tailbone, but not yet classic (grow, grow..) straight, dark blondette
Mostly up. If it is down it is braided, never loose.
I would wear a braided updo for a formal event. Perhaps a ladder bun with accent braids. And some pretty hair pins. I agree with chen bao jun, formal means up to me too.

Alex Lou
January 23rd, 2015, 05:00 AM
female
Waist length, wavy, light auburn red.
Either up in a bun, pony, or down and loose when it's clean.
I wear it loose to formal events. Because it's beautiful and I'm proud of it!

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2015, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

I wonder if various participants can answer the following set of questions (the first set determines the demographics and the last one is about formal events [Note: a formal event is one where you'd wear either a gown or tux]):

Are you male or female?

Thanks,

diggem

One female
Two straight with braid waves and blonde light brown
Three down and braided on the weekends my braid is covered.
Four for a formal advent I'd probably wear my hair in a braided bun.

midnight_blue
January 23rd, 2015, 12:48 PM
1. Female
2. Just past shoulder, very slight wave, dirty blonde
3. Usually up or braided, I need it out of my face day to day
4. Either down or in a fancy updo depending on how well it's behaving, because I'm showing off at a formal event.

spirals
January 23rd, 2015, 01:19 PM
Are you male or female? f
Please categorize your hair (length, waviness, color). waist, 2c/3a, brown sugar
Do you generally wear your hair up, braided, loose, or some other way? brushed into 2b waves and loose, usually
For a formal event, how would you wear your hair, and why? I don't know why, but a truly formal event (floor-length gown or tuxedo) calls for an updo. I think it has to do with not having hair compete with the gown. I think a sparkly or feather accessory or a single flower is nice, but I feel the 'do itself should be fairly smooth and simple, like a french twist or low chignon. I like, for me personally, a deep side part; it adds drama. I'm not against adding a wispy curl or two, but overall I like it close to the head and any bun to be at the nape.

RapunzelKat
January 23rd, 2015, 09:06 PM
Are you male or female?

Female

FTL, pin straight, dark blonde or light golden brown depending on the light. So, blonnette I guess? :rolling:
From about BSL down it's lighter due to pre-LHC Sun-In

Mostly up, LWB is my go-to. I'll do something nicer, like a coronet braid or rose bun, for stuff like family dinners or concerts at church.

Some sort of updo, chosen to go with what I'm wearing. A fully rolled sock bun with sparkle pins/comb or the lace crown braid I learned from Madora would probably be my top choices. If I was the guest of honor I might wear it down, but otherwise I'd want it up to avoid having too much attention on my hair.

This is a really interesting thread, diggem! :popcorn:

bonbon58
January 23rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
Are you male or female?
F
see avatar!
in a bun, since work requires it and its neater that way :p i take it down immediately after i get home though
down or half up? i just think having hair that frames my face looks better on me. the so agrees too :o

FairHairedDane
January 23rd, 2015, 10:54 PM
1. Female.
2. 43 inches, which on me is classic, straigth, golden blonde.
3. I use buns and braids on a daily basis.
4. For formal events I chosse between two styles, let it hang loose, or a big sockbun. If is is loose I can vary it with a half-up of some sort.

jasper
January 24th, 2015, 05:59 AM
1. female.
2. Classic, not-straight but not-all-wavy, fine.
3. up or braided.
4. For a formal event, I usually do a rose bun. That is, a pony tail in a rope braid, wound up into a bun. I go with this style because it is super easy and secure, looks elegant, and appears complicated to the uninitiated.

chen bao jun
January 24th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Thread jack, sorry. Fair haired dane, I love your avatar and that crown braid is elegant enough on you to wear any where.

FairHairedDane
January 24th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Thread jack, sorry. Fair haired dane, I love your avatar and that crown braid is elegant enough on you to wear any where.

Thank you Chen bao jun :D

I also love making it, but my hair lengt is getting to long to make it the way I used to.
A ponytail split in two english braids then wraped around the head in opposite directions. My ends a 3 inches too long.

flemeister
January 25th, 2015, 03:22 AM
Are you male or female?

1. Male :)
2. MBL, 2b, dark brown
3. Loose or ponytailed around the house, english braid or lazy wrap bun [with flexi-8] for work
4. Probably play it safe with an english or french braid, or maybe a half-up with a flexi-8 (aiming for something like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732&page=4&p=2393473&viewfull=1#post2393473)), just because I like how it looks. :cool: