PDA

View Full Version : Unvevenly damaged hair rant/confusion

maybeinthemtns
January 20th, 2015, 08:24 PM
:mad: My hair has quite a lot of damage - but most of it it on the right side! It's so weird. I think it's probably from heat-styling, but I heat-styled all my hair, not just one side, so I don't really know. It is a huge, noticeable difference when my hair is all down. The right side is smooth for about eight inches, and then it is frizzes and becomes split end city! I would say more hairs than not, on the right side, are damaged in some way. The left side is much smoother and the little bit of damage there is starts a few inches lower, and there is very little damage as a whole, especially when compared to the right side.

This is mostly just a rant, because it's just bugging me, but I am also wondering if anyone else has this? It's so stupid! I don't really know what I did. I plan on growing out all the damage anyway, but it looks quite strange to me when it's down. I have about four or five years of growing until it's all gone - yowza. I must have just curled the right side more? Am I right that heat-styling caused this? Why is it so uneven if that is the case? :confused: What the heck is going on here?

cathair
January 20th, 2015, 08:27 PM
Perhaps you touch one side more without noticing? Are you right handed? The front parts of my hair were more rough than the rest of it, because I would be constantly touching it or putting it behind my ears without really thinking about it. Got better when I put it up most of the time.

darklyndsea
January 20th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Other possible culprits: bag straps, sleeping on your right side, playing with the hair on your right more...

prettyinpink
January 20th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Do you use bobby pins? I have pieces of hair on my left side that are about 7 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. Hair actually broke off from using a bobby pin in the same spot everyday

mz_butterfly
January 20th, 2015, 09:40 PM
It could also be that you are using the heat longer on that side without realizing it. Or maybe you sleep on that side more?

maybeinthemtns
January 20th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Perhaps you touch one side more without noticing? Are you right handed? The front parts of my hair were more rough than the rest of it, because I would be constantly touching it or putting it behind my ears without really thinking about it. Got better when I put it up most of the time.

I am right-handed, and I do fiddle with my hair. That could definitely be a factor. Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

maybeinthemtns
January 20th, 2015, 09:58 PM
Other possible culprits: bag straps, sleeping on your right side, playing with the hair on your right more...

I don't think it's bag straps although they are becoming more and more of a problem, lol. But I usually manage to get my hair out of the way. I really don't know what side I sleep on. I'll try to pay more attention. Thanks!

maybeinthemtns
January 20th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Do you use bobby pins? I have pieces of hair on my left side that are about 7 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. Hair actually broke off from using a bobby pin in the same spot everyday

I don't use bobby pins, they slip out of my hair. Wow, seven inches shorter?:eek: That's crazy! I didn't realize bobby pins could be so damaging. I do have a chunk on my problem (right) side that is much shorter than the other. I will have to pay attention to what I am doing to it when I put my hair up. Thanks!

Robot Ninja
January 20th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Passenger side seatbelt, maybe? If you don't drive much you would get more damage on that side.

maybeinthemtns
January 20th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Passenger side seatbelt, maybe? If you don't drive much you would get more damage on that side.

Oh, that's a great idea! I used to have a car, but it got totalled in October. :wail: However, that wouldn't even show up, probably. So that could definitely be a factor as well. Thank you!

Wosie
January 21st, 2015, 01:29 AM
I have this problem with frizzier hair on one side of the head as well, but on the left side... My theory has always been that I must sleep more on that side, and it makes perfect sense for my left under-eye-wrinkle is more pronounced than the right one as well. ;|

Try to take extra care of that hair (e.g. leave in conditioner on the area after a hair wash [if you don't already] and oil afterwards), try to keep it contained for a while and see if that helps (twin French- or Dutch braids, buns) and pay attention to what you do with it. =)

lapushka
January 21st, 2015, 06:17 AM
It could also be that you are using the heat longer on that side without realizing it. Or maybe you sleep on that side more?

Exactly this. It might have been more heat-exposed than the other side. There really is little else explanation for it.

Daylilly
January 21st, 2015, 07:20 AM
I have the same problem. I was doing a search and destroy yesterday and noticed all the splits are on the right side. I think I sleep on that side more so today I am going to get a silk pillowcase.

Flowerness
January 21st, 2015, 01:54 PM
In looking at some hair progress pics, I noticed this too! But as I see it is growing out, I've wondered if it is from the heat styling. I used to (feel free to cringe here!) blow dry my hair, with a brush. I used to literally touch the blow dryer (on hot, mind you!) to the side of my hair brush to make sure that it was straightening out. And I would get broken hairs for some reason! I figure it is sort of more awkward to heat style/brush on the side that you are dominant, so I must have been doing it harder/longer without realizing. Now, every broken strand makes me cringe because I am so close to my goal! I am hoping to use more leave-in conditioner and brush more carefully in the future! That, and deep conditioner is a blessing! (Makes me wonder why I don't just put honey and olive oil and other pantry staples directly in the shower...

Good luck to you!

Nightshade
January 22nd, 2015, 07:20 AM
I knew someone once with similar because she was right-handed and always pulled out her ponytail the same way in the same direction. Also, if you brush too harshly and always hang your hair the same way that'd do it, too.

Achlys
January 22nd, 2015, 09:11 AM
I have much more taper on my right side. I think it's because I always wore my hair pulled in front of my left shoulder before I started keeping it up. And that was quite a long time...

Also yes, maybe using heat appliances on your right side is less comfortable and takes longer?