PDA

View Full Version : Your hair always looks awful these days!

Alun
January 20th, 2015, 05:43 PM
That's what my wife said the other day. That was apparently the consensus of a conversation between DW and DD (but apparently not DS, who was not mentionned). We all have long hair except DD, who has shoulder length hair, but including DW and DS.

So, DD has decided she doesn't like long hair, and DW honestly was never into ME having long hair, so no real surprise. However, DW also said that my hair looks 'really thin'. Well, I had just washed it and it was still wet, so naturally it looks a bit thinner around the crown when wet. There are no bald patches though. I can't see the back of my own head too easily, but if I put my hand on the back of my head I encounter hair, not skin.

Maybe it is a bit thin around the back, but what does anyone expect at my age, and who spends all their time looking at the back of my head? She also said I should 'do something about it' and I said I wouldn't get it cut short, which was followed by dire predictions re the projected downward trajectory of my career. I have been applying to other jobs, and getting zero interviews, although my age and the state of the economy seem likely to have more to do with it.

The firm where I work is apparently 80% owned by one guy, and he is already around retirement age, and at least a decade older than me. Adding those facts together, it seems likely he will retire when I have at least a decade left in the workforce, and that his partners may not be able to afford to buy him out, which may well lead to him selling the firm (or the majority share of it, which amounts to the same thing) to someone else who does have the money. Getting out before that happens might be wise? A shorter haircut would still be just as thin around the crown, anyway, so how would that solve the perceived problem? Not going to do it, anyway.

PS: The bosses wife, who is considerably younger than him, already retired early. She also owned her own firm, and wound it up rather than selling it off. However, she was in catering, not law, and retired upon selling a recipe to a store for apparently a large sum. He has no special recipe for patent law, LOL!

Angela_Rose
January 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM
What a bummer! At least they were honest with you, though, rather than beating around the bush.

As a person who has spent entirely too much time unemployed or searching for new employment, I wish you the best of luck in your career!

Alun
January 20th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Maybe I should replace my LinkedIn photo with one where my hair is tied in a ponytail? Perception over reality!

EdG
January 20th, 2015, 06:26 PM
That wasn't a nice thing to say.

Men in their fifties are not expected to have great hair. You are likely in the top 1% of that group, a hair one-percenter. ;)

I don't have recent experience in job hunting, but I think the ponytail may appear more professional than hair worn loose. I wish you the best in your search! :)
Ed

Angela_Rose
January 20th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Maybe I should replace my LinkedIn photo with one where my hair is tied in a ponytail? Perception over reality!

"Long haired freaky people need not apply," isn't that how the song goes?

DaveDecker
January 21st, 2015, 04:42 AM
"Long haired freaky people need not apply," isn't that how the song goes?

Signs -- Five Man Electrical Band (http://youtu.be/uYsBDmqJfjQ)

Oh, and Alun - no need to cut your hair. Employers will want you for your skills, experience, and positive go-get-'em attitude. Nothing else matters. (And if any potential employer places any detrimental value on your appearance, you would not have wanted to work for them anyway.)

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2015, 07:04 AM
You should keep your hair. Like someone else said, you are a one percenter, men in their 50 s don't have hair.
My friend dyed her hair because she lost her job, it's falling out and she didn't get a new job anyway with dyed hair. She's back in school, though.

If you cut it it's the end of long hair for you forever and you lose your unique you.

I pray you soon get a job.

Anje
January 21st, 2015, 08:38 AM
Corporate ponytail?

Honestly, I think it's likely age and economy. My dad's a couple years older than you, bald but for a few stubborn hangers-on, and facing similar problems. His engineering firm has done layoffs, there's not much work in his field in the area right now, and ageism is surely taking its toll. It's sad, too, because he's the sort who will work (and do good work) for at least another 10-15 years if given the chance. He can't hold still long enough to retire.

spidermom
January 21st, 2015, 08:58 AM
I think a hair pulled back photo might be a good idea, but it's your hair. Keep it how you like it.

I hate my husband's super-short hair, but I only mentioned once that I'd like to see him grow it longer. He said he doesn't want it longer unless I agree to do all hair care for him. That was the end of that. I'm married to the person, not the hair.

swearnsue
January 21st, 2015, 10:43 AM
If you haven't had any interviews, then it's not how you look. Right? If there is a photo of you that employers can see, just for an experiment, post a new photo with hair tied back and hidden and see if you get any interviews. People can be really narrow minded so you can't go wrong by trying an experiment.

Good luck!

Agnes Hannah
January 21st, 2015, 10:50 AM
I'd go with the ponytail option rather than cutting it. It is your hair after all, and surely the fact that it is well cared for and looked after should mean something about the person you are? Good luck with the jobhunting, it is a nightmare out there at present, but surely has to get better soon. Hugs

Robot Ninja
January 21st, 2015, 11:18 AM
I think you should definitely tie your hair back for job searching. It seems to be the expectation for long-haired guys who want to look professional. Most employers aren't LHC members; they see a dude with long hair and a beard and probably think you're some kind of hippie or biker or some other stereotype. It's unfair, but people are dumb, and at least you'll still have hair to wear as you like outside of work.

Good luck with your job search.

Undomiel
January 21st, 2015, 11:24 AM
You have really nice hair from what I can see from your avatar. Looks thick and healthy to me. I tried to convince my fiance to grow his out but he doesn't want to deal with it lol. He tried to grow it out once when he was younger for the Robert Plant look, but his hair sort of grew out in every direction (his curls) and he got discouraged and said hell with it.

That's great you're on LinkedIn! It is such a great resource. I've gotten quite a few interviews offered to me on there from project managers at different companies. Seems they all are out to find talent on their own these days and get rid of the middle-man (recruiter). Good luck with everything :)

share801
January 21st, 2015, 11:27 AM
In some conservative jobs, women feel the need to have hair neatly back or up at work to be taken seriously. Seems the same would apply when you are job hunting. After all, they don't know anyting about your skills yet!

Colochita
January 21st, 2015, 11:32 AM
I believe it does depend on what sector you're looking for a job in. As someone who has had to deal with the whole "Kinky hair is not professional, so 'groom' it." issue, I understand not wanting to alter your appearance for a potential employer. However, people can be very narrow minded and it might be worth putting your hair up and away in professional photos (or interviews) just for the foot in the door.

blue_eyes
January 21st, 2015, 11:33 AM
I got my degree in human resources and, unfortunately, couldn't believe how big of a role appearance plays in the workplace. Even as a girl I've always pulled my hair back or into a ponytail for an interview (I'm not good with buns, but a bun would be great too).

When job hunting it's best to play it safe and go for the "neat and tidy professional" look, doesn't matter whether you're male or female. Sadly, employers are judging everyone on their appearances. Long hair seems to be one of those things that everyone needs to have an opinion about. :( It's best to play it safe in such a competitive job market.

But if you love your long hair, then definitely don't cut it to appease someone else. Good luck job hunting! :)

Alun
January 21st, 2015, 11:59 PM
Law is very conservative, but it's not like I haven't got into this field already, and the last time I had short hair I was a teenager. I've never not had long hair in the workplace, because it has been long ever since I ever had a job, so why change at my age? If anything, attitudes about male long hair used to be worse. I only know one male lawyer with 'long' hair, and his is only shoulder length, but he used to wear Hawaiian shirts at work! That was his concession when he moved firms, not wearing Hawaiian shirts! DW says she would like me to have a shoulder length haircut, but DD has hair that length and seems to have got to her. DW has long hair, but of course that's regarded as not relevant! Why shorter hair would do a damn*d thing to reduce signs of aging, I have no idea. I am convinced it would not. AFAIK I would just look like the same old fart with shorter hair!

(Comment removed) My paychecks are now a bit smaller because some terms and conditions were switched on me unilaterally, and affect my take-home pay (comment removed), but I am still currently employed.

yahirwaO.o
January 21st, 2015, 11:59 PM
Whenever I want to make a nice tidy impression to narrow mind people the low deep side parted bun is a winner.

Now this is not really a hair problem itself. your a 50 year old man with healthy hair and some thin ends.... that happens to me even I m almost a child compared to you.

The problem is ageism and how bad people are educated to be mean hunters to other people. In spite of this, whenever someone is about to loose the job is always a good opotunity to be creative and do somethig else.

For instance, I am young man with no degrees whatsoever living in a poor country.... and still Im able to do what I like to do in artistic jobs and get something for it. I have my own business that fortunately woks like a charm and had never really aplied to a job.

So there are many good alternatives instead of the old way to go and apply for a job... and of course not to tie that beautiful hair if u dont want to.

Best wishes..... :o

browneyedsusan
January 22nd, 2015, 07:40 AM
FWIW: I think you should wear your hair how you like it. It sounds like DW is scared. The future is looking grim, and she's trying her best to shore it up. She's imagining her golden years with you are not going to be what she'd hoped for, and she's scared. She's reaching for anything to get some sense of security. If you cut your hair, she can know in her heart that your hair wasn't the reason you didn't get xyz job. I don't think it's your hair, I think it's the uncertainty of your job that's bothering her.

I don't follow: Even if your company is sold, why wouldn't the new owner value your talent and expertise, and retain you? Ya, you'll probably get a salary cut, but finding a new job at your current pay is tough too. You can always bind up your hair, and start looking for work during your "off" hours. If you give a decent interview, I'd think the hair would be a non-issue, even here in the Midwest.

Good luck in your job search. I hope a fabulous one falls in your lap!