PDA

View Full Version : For all the curls wurls kinks and spirals

petcrazy18
January 20th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Hey LCH, I wanted to share this video this all you men and women who don't have straight hair. Growing up I know I never really liked my curls but now I love and appreciate them for what they are because at the end of the day they make me stand out :)! Let's all appreciate the hair we were born with, don't let society change you or the media tell you any different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou7CyPtkpng

:blossom:

FallingDarkness
January 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Although my hair isn't curly I loved this video.
It even made me feel better about my hair just seeing them swoosh their curls around. :)

CousinItt
January 20th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I like this ad too. I feel for these kids. I still struggle to accept my wurls when they are less princess and more '80s hair band. The amount of times I've been told my hair looks messy because of the wurls, or better still, to brush it tidy *sigh* There should be a curly hair party every week to change people's perceptions.

chelsea89ms
January 20th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Awww! I totally started tearing up because the little girls didn't like their pretty curls, especially the girl who said she sometimes wishes she could just rip it out :wail: That's so sweet how it ended though! :heartbeat

lapushka
January 20th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Of course it's just an ad, but you'd think their moms had taught them to love their curls by now, right? :rolleyes:

petcrazy18
January 20th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Lapushka you actually make a really good point now that I think about it, their parents and general both mommy and daddy should of been teaching them that from a very early age. Confidence is just so important now-a-days.
Falling Darkness I'm the same way! My hair is really weird kinda curly wurly so I didn't completely relate hair wise to any of the girls (maybe Aisha: ps: anybody know her hair type?) but I felt like a million bucks after watching this.
CousinItt I understand all too well what you mean <:(. I still struggle all the time, but when I have my good days I feel so full of confidence, like I have that extra X factor :)
chelsea89ms I teared up to! It was so sad to hear little girls dislike a part of what makes them, them. But that ending is one they are never going to forget <3

LongCurlyTress
January 20th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I loved that video! Thanks for sharing! ;):joy: Carol King was always my heroine growing up. ;)

Seeshami
January 20th, 2015, 09:47 PM
Dove has been doing wonderful with their real beauty campaign they are by far the most positive beauty image advocates in mass marketing.

NJoy
January 20th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Beautiful! I love it!!

Avis
January 20th, 2015, 10:31 PM
That was so sweet. I really hope those girls teach their daughters, sons, nieces, nephews etc. to love their curls after this experience. Thanks for sharing. :o

LongHairLesbian
January 20th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Of course it's just an ad, but you'd think their moms had taught them to love their curls by now, right? :rolleyes:

I guess a lot of parents have hang ups about their own hair texture (kid usually gets their texture from mum or dad), or they don't know how to care for wavy/curly hair. It's really unfortunate, because parents will always be a child's #1 influence. Children, for the most part, internalize their parent's values. If mum always keeps her hair straight, or mum only complains about her wavy/curly hair and hates the fact that her hair isn't straight, the kid isn't going to like their wavy/curly hair either. My cousin is the only type 3 in our immediate family (so far), and I know she feels left out. I compliment her hair whenever I can, because I want her to feel good about herself. I think I will show her this vid next chance I get, because it has such a great message.

Wildcat Diva
January 20th, 2015, 11:02 PM
My son was just gripin about wanting his hair straighter and I made him watch the video. He was like "oh wow!" But not as convinced because he is not a little girl haha. Well I will keep working on him. Us wavies have a hard time sometimes with identity crisis. What are we, in the middle? Gotta try to figure it out what to do. Comb, not comb?

purplevickie
January 21st, 2015, 01:06 AM
Much as the cynical part of me knows it's an ad for some haircare product, I do like the sentiment behind it. I've always had straight hair and wanted curls, so I can't understand not loving them, but my partner has very curly (3a/b ringlets) hair which he wears long and he's always hated being curly.

I reckon there's a good chance our kids will have curly hair, so while I'm on here figuring out the best for my hair, I also look at the curly threads so I have a good idea of how to care for curly hair in the future.

Quixii
January 21st, 2015, 02:02 AM
Aww, the first part made me so sad. The end was cute, though. <3

I've always loved/wanted curls. There were just a few times growing up someone would suggest straightening my hair, and I had zero interest. I'm glad I never had to fall into that trap.

StellaKatherine
January 21st, 2015, 02:24 AM
This is the thing, that we learn a lot especially from our mom's and women around us. We keep on hearing how specific hair colour, texture is somehow more beautiful. How long legs and small waist is something to wish for. But all skintones, hair textures, colours, shapes and hights - they all are beautiful in it's own!

My sister has very curly hair and she kept on ironing it her whole teenager age. Only now at 18 she starting to wear it little more often natural... still ironing too often though. I hope she will love her curls with time!

Knifegill
January 21st, 2015, 02:39 AM
Sometimes I seriously can't even.

This is great, those girls will be proud of their hair forever.

As a kid, I always thought my hair was just bad at being straight. Now I find out it's good at being wurly! Perspective is so much.

mindwiped
January 21st, 2015, 05:39 AM
I have to admit, Dove really does try to help people accept themselves for what they are. Thin, curvy, short, tall, curly, straight. I know they're commercials, but I like the message they're trying to share.

As for wavy/curly love and care from your parents, sadly I got my Aunt/both grandmother's wavy hair. Mom had stick straight hair until menopause, she had trouble getting it to take a PERM. Dad, had 1960s very short boy hair, until it all fell out, so he had no clues about curly hair needs. I had fine hair, that because I was daily shampooing, and brushing without any type of leave in, was constantly velcro ends. I had an elementary teacher tell my mom she thought I was coming to school without brushing my hair because it had collected fuzzies (lint, pills off clothes, random junk that will catch in velcro ended curly hair, sometimes fuzzys from my hairbrush), which mortified my mother. Now that I've gotten taught proper curly techniques, it doesn't pick up nearly so many fuzzies, and even though I shampoo and brush it much less, it looks neat and styled. Thank goodness for here and a hippie bath goodie store I worked at for a few years, or I'd still have horrific hair.

lapushka
January 21st, 2015, 05:51 AM
I guess a lot of parents have hang ups about their own hair texture (kid usually gets their texture from mum or dad), or they don't know how to care for wavy/curly hair. It's really unfortunate, because parents will always be a child's #1 influence. Children, for the most part, internalize their parent's values. If mum always keeps her hair straight, or mum only complains about her wavy/curly hair and hates the fact that her hair isn't straight, the kid isn't going to like their wavy/curly hair either. My cousin is the only type 3 in our immediate family (so far), and I know she feels left out. I compliment her hair whenever I can, because I want her to feel good about herself. I think I will show her this vid next chance I get, because it has such a great message.

Very true, this! My parents are different in texture, mom's barely wavy (1c) and dad is wavy (2b) but has it cut so short it's hardly noticeable anymore. You learn from your parents, and if they have no clue, you have no clue. I had *no* clue when my hair suddenly went wavy during puberty.

Aleahcim
January 21st, 2015, 05:54 AM
I loved that video, and agree Dove has been putting out some really great ads with even better messages. My mother is a curly with lots of curls that gives her huge waist length stunning mane. My little sister has beautiful perfect ringlets which she insists on brushing out everyday and flat iron it if she wants to look "good".Her hair is closing up on tailbone and makes me crying inside every time I see her rip a brush through it.

My hair is wavy with one or two curls around my face. Being left in the middle and having hair unlike my mother and sister left me wishing for those bouncy curls.
Although I'm starstarting to get more comfortable with my hair texture, my hair is much more shorter than theirs so I'm still a little envious, but I know I will have it eventually. For now I just keep myself happy with braiding their long manes (neither of them can do anything but an English so whenever I visit they always ask my to braid their hair in whatever different way I want )