PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was interesting...

Loribelle
January 18th, 2015, 04:58 PM
http://www.livescience.com/47834-egyptian-hairstyles-photos.html?adbid=986358198058882&adbpl=fb&adbpr=123862014308509&cmpid=514629_20150117_38418277

Mod note: Link goes to pictures of old skulls with hair still on them. Don't click if that sort of thing bothers you.

Nadine <3
January 18th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Oh! This was very interesting, That's so cool, I like that you can still see the braiding.

rusika1
January 19th, 2015, 06:13 AM
Very interesting indeed! I want to know more now. All the 'common knowledge' stuff about ancient Egyptians says that they shaved their heads and wore wigs made of sheep's wool. Obviously this isn't true since these people had their own hair plus human hair extensions. Maybe it was just the upper classes, or just during certain eras.

Also...henna to cover the gray!

MeowScat
January 19th, 2015, 07:38 AM
It always fascinates me how delicate hair can be, yet it can last hundreds, even thousands of years.

darklyndsea
January 19th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Very interesting indeed! I want to know more now. All the 'common knowledge' stuff about ancient Egyptians says that they shaved their heads and wore wigs made of sheep's wool. Obviously this isn't true since these people had their own hair plus human hair extensions. Maybe it was just the upper classes, or just during certain eras.

Also...henna to cover the gray!

Um, I would not take anything from Amarna as a general statement about ancient Egyptians. The changes were so extreme that after Akhenaten died his existence was literally erased--they removed him from all of the lists of pharaohs, busted up all the statues and hid their parts, and so on. IIRC, archaeologists only learned of it because a pillar was broken and on the inside there was something from the Amarna period.