PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

sjlaurence
January 18th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I have convinced a friend of mine to grow his hair long (yay!)
His goal length is basically long enough to put into a man bun, but right now it is at this really awkward length. He is going to be the bestman at his friend's wedding in April and has asked me to help him style it. The problem is I am clueless: Men and women of The Long Hair Community I beseech thee, come to his aid! (dramatically falls to knees hands clasped in supplication)
He has curly hair that reaches his lips when stretched down. We have managed to make a ponytail at the base of his head but most of his hair is not long enough to reach and poofs out making his head look strangely large.
What suggestions do you brilliant, long-hair geniuses have?

missblueeyes
January 18th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I'd suggest a low ponytail with the rest of the hair held back by either hairgel or a headband that's the same length as his hair. Maybe you could also go for a side part and french braid the side with less hair? A bit like this (http://www.geldik.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/very-cool-man-hairstyle.jpg) just without the spikes?

Aleahcim
January 18th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Would a braided half do work? Braid the bulk of his canopy so it will stay in place. The YouTube channel silvousplaits has several option's you could play with.

Seeshami
January 18th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I would try to slick it back tight and high pony tail it. When my hair was just barely long enough to pony tail I would put it as high as needed to get most on my hair then surround it with snap clips to hold the escapees

Angels+Eyeliner
January 18th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Ask the bride! Seriously, before you decide on anything, ask the bride (and, to a lesser extent, the groom) just in case they have thoughts on it. They might want to put the best man in a top hat or something, and so you don't want to pick anything that would make it difficult. I'm not saying that the bride is a bridezilla who needs everything perfect, but she might have something in mind that she hasn't mentioned yet (because there are more important things

Also, it doesn't seem that long. If you can only just put it in a ponytail, why not just focus on neatening the curls? If it is in good condition, curly hair can be a bit long without looking too messy. Plus it's very popular right now, lots of men trying to look like Jon Snow.

lapushka
January 18th, 2015, 11:26 AM
If it's too short for a ponytail and it's curly? Slicked down in the front and rest of the curls scrunched by wet gel, that's my best bet.

Panth
January 18th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Headband (one of the narrow ones, not a sport-style one) or a half-up.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 18th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I had a friend who had that sort of length an texture. He needed his back for sports and had me french braid it. Maybe do a loose french until halfway and have the curls neat and tidy. That way its off the face for a classy occasion but still contained and down at the same time.

AmandaPanda
January 18th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I was going to say a half-up ponytail, but I like the idea of asking the bride first! Always ask the bride first ;)

Anje
January 18th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I'm thinking a half-up, too. Think "Legolas".

truepeacenik
January 18th, 2015, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking of two men with curls who like keeping it out of their faces. One, a violinist, one, a software sales guy.
Oddly, both from Asia, one Hong Kong, one South Korea.

Both are fans of the half back.
One liked braiding his, the other, simply a ponytail. Both used the very small silicone bands.

sjlaurence
January 26th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Firstly I just want to say thank you for all the great ideas. My friend was really impressed with your friendliness and now can't wait to try it all out.

I'd suggest a low ponytail with the rest of the hair held back by either hairgel or a headband that's the same length as his hair. Maybe you could also go for a side part and french braid the side with less hair? A bit like this (http://www.geldik.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/very-cool-man-hairstyle.jpg) just without the spikes?
We tried the picture idea but I am going to have to practice a little more and I think he may need to gain more length on top.

Would a braided half do work? Braid the bulk of his canopy so it will stay in place. The YouTube channel silvousplaits has several option's you could play with.
I can almost make it work but not quite :)

I would try to slick it back tight and high pony tail it. When my hair was just barely long enough to pony tail I would put it as high as needed to get most on my hair then surround it with snap clips to hold the escapees
He actually wore a pony to work the other day. His fringe escaped and I had to give him half of my hair pin stash but it worked.

Ask the bride! Seriously, before you decide on anything, ask the bride (and, to a lesser extent, the groom) just in case they have thoughts on it. They might want to put the best man in a top hat or something, and so you don't want to pick anything that would make it difficult. I'm not saying that the bride is a bridezilla who needs everything perfect, but she might have something in mind that she hasn't mentioned yet (because there are more important things
Also, it doesn't seem that long. If you can only just put it in a ponytail, why not just focus on neatening the curls? If it is in good condition, curly hair can be a bit long without looking too messy. Plus it's very popular right now, lots of men trying to look like Jon Snow.
I will make sure he asks the bride ;)
We are trying to master his curls and he has started Co washes every second wash. He is actually crazy about Jon Snow's hair!

If it's too short for a ponytail and it's curly? Slicked down in the front and rest of the curls scrunched by wet gel, that's my best bet.
He has also started wearing his hair like this and says it doesn't look as bad as he expected. I think he just needs to get used to it.

Headband (one of the narrow ones, not a sport-style one) or a half-up.
I have given him some headbands that were too big for me, thanks for the tip.

I had a friend who had that sort of length an texture. He needed his back for sports and had me french braid it. Maybe do a loose french until halfway and have the curls neat and tidy. That way its off the face for a classy occasion but still contained and down at the same time.
I will have to practise my braiding for this, luckily he does not mind.

I'm thinking a half-up, too. Think "Legolas".
Shhh... Don't give him ideas (looks around nervously wringer in her untrained hands)

I'm thinking of two men with curls who like keeping it out of their faces. One, a violinist, one, a software sales guy.
Oddly, both from Asia, one Hong Kong, one South Korea.

Both are fans of the half back.
One liked braiding his, the other, simply a ponytail. Both used the very small silicone bands.
I didn't think of using silicone bands because the ones I have snap trying to hold my fine hair back. I'll have to see if I can find stronger ones somewhere.

Majorane
January 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Think "Legolas".

Yeah I do that every once in a while, you know. :smirk: for hairspiration, of course

Seriously though, what's wrong with cool shaggy curls being loose and all whoosh loose styled? Where the curls are nice and un-frizzy and loose and manly ploink? Does it have to be up?

heidi w.
January 26th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I'd recomend the same as others.
heidi w.

sjlaurence
January 27th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Seriously though, what's wrong with cool shaggy curls being loose and all whoosh loose styled? Where the curls are nice and un-frizzy and loose and manly ploink? Does it have to be up?
It does not have to be up, but you can't believe how much trouble he has gotten about his curly hair. For instance at an old job they made him straighten it because they said he didn't look professional. Luckily he now works for someone with a much more open mind, but he feels that it is necessary to appear neat for his friend's wedding day according to the standards of society (which is usually not a growing mane of curls on a man). We will see how long his hair is by the wedding date but for now his plan is to wear it loose with the curls as defined as possible :)