PDA

View Full Version : Four Strand Rope Braid- Pic

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I was fooling around with rope braids yesterday and I did this:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/Arylkin/4strandropebraid-1.jpg

I'm really pleased with how it turned out (although it needs a few more pins because you can see the hair band of one of the rope braids in one part). I really like this updo because by having the four rope braids flat on the back of my head it really makes me look like I have much more hair than I actually do (my hair is pretty thin).

It's four 2 strand rope braids (not an actual four strand rope braid).

Anyway- I thought I'd share! :D

Haith
September 29th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Ooooh! This is simply lovely. The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "I don't have nearly enough hair to do this, she is so lucky to have such an incredibly thick mass of hair growing out of her head!"

Wow! What a beautiful style, and your hair does look thick and healthy here. You have inspired me to try it for myself!

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Ooooh! This is simply lovely. The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "I don't have nearly enough hair to do this, she is so lucky to have such an incredibly thick mass of hair growing out of her head!"

Wow! What a beautiful style, and your hair does look thick and healthy here. You have inspired me to try it for myself!

Thanks! It should look even better on you since your hair is a bit longer than mine. :)

heidihug
September 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Oh, yes, I love this trick of making it look like you have more hair than you do. I've used it for regular braids, but not rope braids yet. Am putting it on my must-try list.

Ohio Sky
September 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Very beautiful. :)

Did you actually use a 4 strand braid or just 2- 2 strands? It looks like you only used 2 strands.

Gumball
September 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
That's a pretty spiffy and large bun, arylkin! It turned out really well. Whoohoo!

Vitalai
September 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
That's really beautiful! :) Your hair looks really shiny and healthy, too! I'm trying this as soon as my hair gets longer.

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Very beautiful. :)

Did you actually use a 4 strand braid or just 2- 2 strands? It looks like you only used 2 strands.

Ah! I misspoke (mistyped?)- it's actually 4 2 strand rope braids.

Vitalai
September 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Oh! Maybe I can attempt this then... :D Did you divide the hair from top to bottom and from ear to ear, and then coil them around each other?

Bronwyn Grace
September 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Woahhh. That is stunning. I really want to try that now! Amazing job.

embee
September 29th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Oooof! I cannot imagine having the coordination to get 4 rope braids (or 2 rope braids) to do anything! I have made a plain rope braid a few times, and it is a challenge for me!

Your updo is lovely! :)

Shanarana
September 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
That looks great, what a nice job you did. I'd like to be able to just do a darn rope braid, but my hands get all confuzzled.

Ohio Sky
September 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ah! I misspoke (mistyped?)- it's actually 4 2 strand rope braids.

Ah, that's what I thought. :)

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Oh! Maybe I can attempt this then... :D Did you divide the hair from top to bottom and from ear to ear, and then coil them around each other?

No, I did it even easier. I made a ponytail and secured it with an elastic, then divided it in half, putting half of my hair on either side of my shoulders, then divided the half in half and made a rope braid (and then rope braided the other sections). It's actually easier than I'm making it sound.

Once I finished making the 4 rope braids I just tried to wind them around the ponytail cinnabun style (trying to keep each flat against my head).

julya
September 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'm with you Shanarana, I can't manage a rope braid either. It is such a pretty style, maybe practice will help me.

arylkin
September 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm with you Shanarana, I can't manage a rope braid either. It is such a pretty style, maybe practice will help me.

I learned from watching you tube videos...lol. This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw)explains how to do a rope braid really well. :)

Vitalai
September 29th, 2008, 02:49 PM
No, I did it even easier. I made a ponytail and secured it with an elastic, then divided it in half, putting half of my hair on either side of my shoulders, then divided the half in half and made a rope braid (and then rope braided the other sections). It's actually easier than I'm making it sound.

Once I finished making the 4 rope braids I just tried to wind them around the ponytail cinnabun style (trying to keep each flat against my head).

Oh, wow! I'll definitely be giving this a whirl later. Thank you for your explanation. :flower:

Elphie
September 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Oh, the youtube video was a big help, thank you! Your bun looks wonderful!

cuddledumplin
September 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
That's gorgeous!

xrosiex
September 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Thats a really pretty bun. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing.:):):)

FrannyG
September 29th, 2008, 03:51 PM
That's just lovely. :)

cindy58
September 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Very pretty! Those rope braids really seem to highlight the shine too.

GlassEyes
September 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
That looks really nice! : D and shiny too.

Slug Yoga
September 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Haha, your hair does look enormous in that. I looked at the picture and then couldn't believe you were at 29 inches and i/ii! It looks very pretty.

Weirdly, if I'm doing pigtails, I find rope braiding way easier than english braiding. My hands get confused by the sideways configuration.

WritingPrincess
September 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Wow. That is very pretty, and it makes it look like you have quite thick hair.

Aicha
September 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
It looks so complicated, but the way you described it makes it sound like something I could accomplish! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the link to the tutorial on youtube, that definitely helps! :flower:

AprilElf
September 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Lovely arylkin! :flower:
I adore rope braids. They always make gorgeous updos. ;)

Chrissy
September 30th, 2008, 04:27 AM
When my hair was long I tried a rope braid once and got frustrated. My hair is very slippery and when I would do the twisting it would come out unless I held it very tight. I never thought to hold it in my teeth at one point. I shouldn't have given up so easily I suppose. Well it will be a few years before mine grows back to that length. I will have to try it again. I also was an avid pony tailer which I loved but got tired of.

Angelica
September 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have to say that this is the loveliest style I have seen in a long while. I have seen something like it somewhere else, but unsure where. I doubt if I could manage to do anything as lovely as that in my hair, but I am going to give it a go.

arylkin
September 30th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I have to say that this is the loveliest style I have seen in a long while. I have seen something like it somewhere else, but unsure where. I doubt if I could manage to do anything as lovely as that in my hair, but I am going to give it a go.

Thank you! It's a lot easier that it seems- good luck!! :)

Ylliria
October 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM
What a gorgeous bun, I have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing.