PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for yoga

Apriori
January 18th, 2015, 04:41 AM
For the last half year or so I have become really fond of yoga, and practice it almost everyday.
Unfortunately I have run into a problem with regards to my hair, because it just always gets in my way. I can't do a bun on the back of my heads because it gets in my way in poses where I lie down, I can't do a bun on the top of my head because it gets in my way in poses like headstand and double buns on the sides of my head are not very practical either because I lie with my cheeks to the floor sometimes too.
Braids have been the option I have chosen most of the time, but it has a tendency to catch on my ear piercings when the braid falls forward in a lot of poses, and it's just long enough that I need to move it out of the way often, so that I don't place my hands on it.
The only option I have found that never gets in my way is a crown braid, but I don't want to have to do a crown braid every single time I want to do yoga.
Any suggestions?

Angels+Eyeliner
January 18th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Take your piercings out for yoga? If that's what putting you off braids, that's the best solution I can think of. You're probably not doing yoga for very long, so it shouldn't be an issue taking your jewellery out. And then loop the end of the braid up and use a spin pin or couple of bobby pins to keep it from touching the floor or getting under your hands.

Lippytoes
January 18th, 2015, 05:10 AM
If your hair is long enough for them, interlaced braids are one of the best hairstyles for exercise where you need to lie down as well. Loepsie has a tutorial here: http://youtu.be/lG4MTltnX7M. Torrin Paige also has a version for thicker, longer hair: http://youtu.be/5zA37CREatY

Milkmaid braids or such might also be an option.

yogagirl
January 18th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I have the same problem, but I don't have a good solution for you. I'm only at BSL, so until now it worked for me to do a loose peacock twist fixed with a claw clip. It is loose so when I lay on my back, I can push it up toward the top of my head without undoing it. And the other way around when I have the top of my head on the ground. Unfortunately my hair is getting too long for this now, so it probably won't work for you at all -- going by your profile pic you're around WL or hip...?

I was thinking I will start doing braids soon. My problem with braids will be that they don't like to stay because of my layers. Also, I would prefer not to have any hair hanging on my body when I'm sweaty, cause it's sticky and annoying. Sigh... Sorry, no solutions here :(

Ambrielle
January 18th, 2015, 08:02 AM
same issue here, i wear mine in one or two braids and pin them around my head (think milkmaid hair braid style) with bobby pins. They don't seem to move around but i use a lot of bobby pins :)

swords & roses
January 18th, 2015, 09:23 AM
When I do yoga, I put my hair up into a Lazy Wrap Bun at the back of my head, with a hair stick. Then when I get to the poses where I lay flat on my back (always at the end of the class, where I go), I just remove the stick & let my hair fall loose.

mrs_coffee
January 18th, 2015, 10:21 AM
When it's long enough, I braid it. When it isn't long enough to braid (like now) I just deal with hair in my face.

velorutionista
January 18th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I do double dutch braids and then wrap them around a stick placed horizontally at the nape of my neck in a chinese bun...the braids compact my hair enough that it's low profile enough that it isn't in the way when I'm laying on my back, and I don't have loose braids flopping around bopping me on the nose in inverted poses (so undignified!).

Seeshami
January 18th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I braid the naughty mess and wrap him around my neck and pin him when a bun won't work. But my hair is classic. (Everyone else will say fingertip but I am not admitting it yet)

meteor
January 18th, 2015, 11:50 AM
1) Braided LWB or braided cinnabun - when I need to lie down, I take down the bun, keeping the braid, and then pin it up when I'm up again. Luckily, this takes just a few seconds.

2) Milkmaid braids or braided coronet(s) (depending on your length).

lapushka
January 18th, 2015, 12:29 PM
A side braid? Or make a braid at the back and pull it up into a folded peacock twist.

yogagirl
January 18th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Oh I really like the suggestions involving a braided bun! I usually do floor postures toward the end, so then I could take the bun down and leave the braid. I think in the floor postures a braid won't be too bad in terms of being in the way!

ooglipoo
January 18th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I do two english braids, then tie them in a double knot at the nape of my neck. No pins needed and it's easy to break down.

cathair
January 18th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I've been doing a side braid, but having it tucked inside my top. It doesn't normally bother me, because I am usually wearing two tops because it's cold.

starlamelissa
January 18th, 2015, 03:40 PM
i do a super loose braid with a soft scrunchie as the tail.

JustPam
January 19th, 2015, 03:49 AM
I put my bun right on my crown so it makes a "corner" on my head, I also make it as flat as I can. I suppose this is dependent on your head shape and how much curve you have vs flat top/back.

DreamSheep
January 19th, 2015, 04:35 AM
I usually do a banded ponytail which I claw clip onto my head. If I then need to lie down on my head, I just remove the clawclips and stuff the ponytail down my top.
:)

I suspect crownbraids would work nicely too - if you don't want to go through the whole rigmarole, you could do a rope crown braid where you just use two strands - those are done quite quickly!