PDA

View Full Version : how do you make your hair vibrant and shiny?

mermaid lullaby
January 17th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking of getting a shine spray.

My dark brown hair, just looks dull looking. Color and shine.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Try stroking 2 drops of mineral oil (baby oil) through your damp hair, and after your hair is dry and detangled, gentle brushing with a boar bristle brush. It gives a wonderful shine!

Madora
January 17th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Brushing daily with a pure boar bristle brush does it for me.

FallingDarkness
January 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Where do you find mineral/baby oil?

Madora
January 17th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Where do you find mineral/baby oil?Look in the baby section of Target or other drug stores. Johnson and Johnson makes a great mineral oil (baby oil). Look for the pink cap. Be sure your J and J contains only the MO plus a fragrance. J and J makes another baby oil but it contains additives, which you don't want. Use it very sparingly..one or two drops, on your hands, never directly out of the bottle on to your hair.

hypersensitive
January 17th, 2015, 05:08 PM
A bit of coconut oil down the length for a quick fix. Good diet and a healthy lifestyle for longterm. :)

Loribelle
January 17th, 2015, 05:10 PM
I agree with the BBB, And like Sarahlabrynth said, I use a couple of drops of oil on my wet, fresh out of the shower hair. I warm a few drops up in my hands, and pull it through my hair. As far as the oil type goes, I think I've used everything!! Lol! I switch out between coconut, monongo (Ouidad) mananoi, argan...etc. You can experiment and find what makes your hair the shiniest, but don't over-do it. I have hair past BSL, and two drops is enough for me. Some people wait till their hair is dry and put a small amount of oil in then. Every time I've tried it, I did it with argan or monongo and it worked well. Again...just a small amount. and then run the BBB though it. SUPER-SHINY.

ashke50
January 17th, 2015, 05:15 PM
A vinegar rinse might help too, makes my hair very shiny when I do it.

mermaid lullaby
January 17th, 2015, 05:21 PM
When you BBB, how often do you do that?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2015, 05:23 PM
When you BBB, how often do you do that?

Every morning:)

mermaid lullaby
January 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Oh! ok :o
Thank you

jacqueline101
January 17th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I use truly natural with 24 hour shine and argan oil by Pantene. I use it every other day. It's $5.00 at dollar general so it's not too pricy and a little goes along ways.

petitepraline
January 17th, 2015, 07:22 PM
i second the vinegar rinse. It gives me an intense shine !

neko_kawaii
January 17th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Damp braid, let it dry, take it out = shine.

gwenalyn
January 17th, 2015, 10:45 PM

This made me laugh, because that is the opposite of what I would do! Just goes to show how everyone's hair is different. To get my hair shiny, I wash, condition with cones, and let air dry. I don't brush, don't braid, don't manipulate. I guess YMMV!

Adiro
January 17th, 2015, 11:57 PM
For me, the vinegar rinse after washing and conditioning works wonders... It also help with de tangling, but I have hard water. The most shiny hair I have when I use a few drops of Tamanu oil on damp hair, but it's not cheap

Adiro
January 17th, 2015, 11:58 PM
For me, the vinegar rinse after washing and conditioning works wonders... It also help with de tangling, but I have hard water. The most shiny hair I have when I use a few drops of Tamanu oil on damp hair, but it's not cheap.i also brush daily with bbb

swearnsue
January 18th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Use henna then stand in the sun for photo!

meteor
January 18th, 2015, 07:17 PM
A couple drops of oil, preferably the light and sealing kind: like mineral or grapeseed oil.
Alternatively, shine serums with silicones give a tremendous shine.

If the dullness is due to mineral build-up, then chelating, using distilled water or an acidic rinse will work well.
If the dullness is due to damage, then penetrating oils and hydrolyzed proteins can really help with strength and shine.

MadPirateBippy
January 18th, 2015, 08:16 PM
If I need to have megawatt shiny hair, I'll pre treat the night before with coconut or coconut/shea oil 50/50 in my hair, a CWC wash with Kiwi Lime, and a vinegar or citric acid rinse afterwards. My hair has no body so I have to go with shine as my thing, while I envy curly girls.

Oh, coffee rinses also leave my hair shiny and smelling good, and might make my hair grow faster, so I love them. Just pour it over your hair- works great for us brunettes.

longNred
January 18th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I swear by the ACV rinse! I do it following a wash, which is 2x/wk for me.

mermaid lullaby
January 19th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Um, can you tell me more about this? ACV?

MINAKO
January 19th, 2015, 10:21 AM
my hair is not really shiny, has more of a diffused sheen to it, but i think what helps to smooth the surface the most in my routine is any butter that contains lanolin and a bit of a coney serum.

catasa
January 19th, 2015, 11:12 AM
My hair is most shiny when I skip conditioner completely and just use a few drops of mineral oil as leave-in. Conditioner is good for my hair sometimes and in moderate amounts, but it does in general make it duller/less shiny. Also clarifying/chelating usually makes at least my hair more shiny.

And of course my (plant-based, semi-permanent) hair colouring adds shine (Santé).

I hope that you find something that works for you!

yogagirl
January 19th, 2015, 01:08 PM
If you have hard water where you live, definitely try a acv rinse or rinse with distilled water or "miracle water" (search for this to find the thread with the recipe).

Our hair types seem to be similar. What works for me is coney conditioner. Have you tried Joico Moisture Recovery for dry hair? It's magic, even though I don't think I have dry hair, just coarse and I have hard water. After the the shower I damp bun for 2 hrs or so, then apply a leave-in and let it air dry. Though frankly I don't have to do the damp bunning and leave-in if I've used the Joico conditioner I mentioned above.

Best of luck! Hope you fnd something that works.

longNred
January 19th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Um, can you tell me more about this? ACV?

sorry, Apple cider vinegar rinse. I put about 1/2 c in a 16 oz cup of cool water. use as a final rinse whenever I wash my hair, which for me, is about 2-3x per week.

no smell when dry. I have dark auburn color, be mindful it can add a reddish tint to your hair. makes my hair unbelievably shiny.

browneyedsusan
January 19th, 2015, 05:16 PM
henna. --extra characters--

Khristopher
January 19th, 2015, 05:21 PM
I vote for ACV too! It leaves my hair shiny and smooth, when I seal it with a few drops of grapeseed oil it's crazy shine. Cones also give a glossy finish but I don't like using them that much to be honest.

Olympias7
January 19th, 2015, 05:40 PM
Another vote for the ACV rinse over here. Also, things that "texturize" my hair, like waves, curls, etc., tend to make my hair less shiny. The straighter it is, the more potential shine - for me, at least (and I have straight hair to begin with). Good luck!

mermaid lullaby
January 19th, 2015, 07:06 PM
sorry, Apple cider vinegar rinse. I put about 1/2 c in a 16 oz cup of cool water. use as a final rinse whenever I wash my hair, which for me, is about 2-3x per week.

no smell when dry. I have dark auburn color, be mindful it can add a reddish tint to your hair. makes my hair unbelievably shiny.

Thank you
I will have to give that a try :)

Also, thank you everyone.
You are all a big help!

I would like to try all your suggestions. Of course, not all at once, but I would like to experiment had been posted.

LongHairLesbian
January 19th, 2015, 08:39 PM

Yes!!! This makes my hair so unbelievably shiny. My wash routine is usually oil, wash, condition, condition, leave-in spray, detangle, damp braid. Taking it out the next day results in knock-me-down-with-a-feather levels of shine. And I'm a natural blonde, a dark haired person would probably get way more shine than me. :) What is your conditioning routine like, mermaid lullaby? Could you incorporate a light pre or post wash oiling, or leave your conditioner in for longer when you shower?

Seeshami
January 19th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I wash it in the tears of people I snarked and comb it with the bones of their broken dreams. :rollin: (this is what AspenSong says I do to keep mess healthy long and purdy, she's probably right)

I do have a water purifier and I do leave conditioner now too.

chelsea89ms
January 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM
I wash it in the tears of people I snarked and comb it with the bones of their broken dreams. :rollin: (this is what AspenSong says I do to keep mess healthy long and purdy, she's probably right)

:spitting: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! Now I will need some tears and bones of broken dreams :patrol:

Acv rinse and a couple drops of mineral oil in damp hair does wonders for me.

kganihanova
January 19th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Cones :) always guaranteed shine!

curlylocks85
January 20th, 2015, 10:29 AM
I don't know if this will be of help to you, but I recently tried Suave Moroccan Oil and my hair is more shiny and feels a lot softer.

Panth
January 20th, 2015, 11:57 AM
It's more about what I don't do. Namely: no bleach, no dye, no heat styling, no chemical perms/straightening/Brazilian blowouts/etc., no damaging styling, no wearing it loose daily.

What I do? Use 'cones (though I like mine water soluble with my current routine).

JellyBene
January 20th, 2015, 04:47 PM
For me henna has made my hair incredibly shiny. On it's own its rather dull naturally