PDA

View Full Version : Did you get it from your momma? Or Poppa?

curiouskitty
January 16th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Or a grandparent? Or a distant ancestor?

Where did you 'get' your hair type/color from? Are there others in your family (extended or not) that you share the same hair texture/color with?

I'll start. My hair is for the most part from my French father's side. He has fine 2b brown hair. The only hair feature I didn't get from him was fineness - and my thicker hair is thanks to my Japanese momma (who has thick, dark, straight hair). Females on my French side all had coppery hair - so I, as a result have dark brown 2b hair (type i/ii) with tinges of copper in it.

My younger brother has straight, thick, black Japanese hair, like my mother.

Give me a little bit of your hair's genetic history! :cool:

Breanna
January 16th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I think I'd have to say that mine is mainly from my dad, since my mom has a wurly texture, and also my siblings (who have a different father than me, so half siblings) are all blonde, and though my mom has brunette hair now I've seen pictures of her as a kid with blonde hair, and mine has always been darker so it must be all dad! :)

GlassWidow
January 16th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Fun topic!

My hair color came from my dad's side, but I'm not sure if his was the same shade as mine. We've always said "when he had hair, it was red." I've never known him with hair, though. His mother was allegedly a redhead, too, but I never knew her. That's the side of the family with Scots ancestry, though, so I guess it makes sense.

My waves must have come from my father's side, too, since my mother has very straight hair that won't hold a curl - even a perm. Her natural color is mousy brown, which she passed on to my brother. I think she passed on the hair thinness gene, though. My great-grandmother, grandmother, and now my mother began to show scalp in their 70's. My mom's father, however, had a full head of glossy dark hair until he died in his late 70's. I guess the women in my family trade hair for longevity, whereas the men trade longevity for hair (nan was 99 when she died, and gram was 92. Mom's in her mid-70's and still going strong).

longNred
January 16th, 2015, 02:46 PM
My color (auburn) from my dad, my texture from my mom.

Stray_mind
January 16th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I got my hair from my mom. It's allmost identical in every aspect.

schnibbles
January 16th, 2015, 02:52 PM
My mom and I are hair twins. Length, color, texture... my hair is like a clone of her's.

curiouskitty
I wish I had inherited more of my French grandmother's genes (I would have been able to flaunt red locks too!). Balding is unfortunately something that's been passed down through both of my extended families (my French uncle's head looks just like Larry David's, and my Japanese aunt is already starting to lose hair at the back of her head at the age of 50), so I'm, definitely planning to keep up with my hot oil scalp massages!

arelrios
all my dad and dad's family side (to my excitement! *sarcasm*) ... I would have loved to have my mom's hair: black, beautiful defined big (not tight) curls/waves.... My sister has hair similar to me... my brother has my grandma's (dad side) and my little brother has my uncle's (dad side) color and type....
I think we can assume my dad genes are very strong lol....

gwenalyn
January 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Like almost everything else, I got my hair from my dad. The only difference is that it's a moderately darker brown, since my mom's hair is black.

Quixii
January 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Both my parents were blonde as kids, which darkened to brown by adulthood. So I guess I got my colour from both/either.

My dad's hair is probably 3b, and my mom's is maybe 1c. So I'm not quite as curly as my dad, but probably got it more from him.

Madora
January 16th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I'd say most of it came from my father's side of the family. His aunts had braids down to their knees. I did inherit a tinge of red from my mother's side of the family...but not enough to suit me!

Enrapture
January 16th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Definitely dad! Everyone from my mothers side is northern european with the typical straight and also coarse hair. My dad, on the other side , who comes from eastern Europe, has wurly hair. However, my brother has straight hair. I think it had some wave when he grew it to his shoulders, but he definitely has hair that is similar to my mom's. As for the colour, I don't know. I think it is a mix. Dad has dark brown/black hair, while my mother has dark blonde, light brunette(she doesn't remember herself! :D) And I have an ashy brown colour. (the same colour for my brother)

gthlvrmx
January 16th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I was born with hair that turned really light colored (almost blonde) like my father when he was young. He had light colored hair when he was little but it darkened up after a while. Mine darkened up to look more like my moms dark hair and it was straight like hers. Puberty hit in elementary school and then my hair changed to curly like my fathers! Since my mom has straight hair and my dad has really curly hair, my hair balanced itself out in between those two hair types. So i have 3a curls unlike my father who has 3c hair i think. My hair was thick like my mom's hair and when I cut my braid off, it looked like my mother's hair! I got a good mix of my dad and mom's hair.

curiouskitty
January 16th, 2015, 03:01 PM
It's fascinating how our genetics work to create a middle ground between two completely different hair types. My friend from college has a Caribbean father with dark 3b hair and a Russian mother with blonde, 1a hair - her hair is smack bang in the middle of both hair types, it's incredible! She has light brown/blondish 3a hair. It's quite rare and beautiful to see.

georgia_peach
January 16th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Cool thread!

Coloring from my father (ash toned). Any warm golden that can be seen in my photos is left over color/highlights. I also have some of his fine texture. But I share hair characteristics from my mother's mother as well. My grandmother had thick, fine hair with waves on the canopy and a tendency to kink up at the nape.

Nadine <3
January 16th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I have my dads hair. Fine, wavey, and thin. My brother got my moms hair. Thick and course and curly, and dark dark brown.

RapunzelKat
January 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Nooobody knooows shudder: :lol:
Seriously, nobody in my family has hair like mine. The color is similar to my dad's, but that's pretty much it. I have one little cousin who also inherited the Mystery Thin Fine Silky Hair, but she's on my mom's side. When I was still getting my hair cut by the stylist who did our whole family, she was always like, what the heck, where did this come from? My dad has commented that I'm the only one from that side of the family who ever managed to grow really long hair.
I'm a mix - lots of German, a fair bit of Norwegian, and a smattering of other European countries.

Kina
January 16th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Mine is completely in between my parents. My mom's hair is in the 4's, black and fine but masses of it. My dad was probably 1a, at most, 1b, blonde also fine. Mine is dark brown that get's auburn highlights in the sun (but lot's and lot's of it) 2c/3a, fine as well.

DreamSheep
January 16th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I've never seen my Dad's natural hair colour as he went gray, then white and kinda bald quite early on. But the hair that remains is very fine, but very dense.
My mother has thicker strands and also very thick hair.

My hair is thicker than both my parents (but when they were younger they were likely thicker, so maybe the same?), a fineness closer to my father's, and a haircolour that I believe is intermediate to my parents, closer to my Dad as a kid. My mother's hair is a very dark brown, and my father's apparently was a sort of auburny blondette, but I've never seen it.
He did have a lot of hair though - I saw a photo (B&W) and didn't recognise him. :p

curiouskitty
January 16th, 2015, 03:41 PM
RapunzelKat, your hair is heavenly! Maybe your hair is from a super distant relative? I get excited when I think of the possibility that my hair is a reincarnation of a super distant historical figure in my family :heartbeat: Hehe. Dormant genes can really rise up out of nowhere!

erizabesu
January 16th, 2015, 04:14 PM
My color is definitely from dad. His hair is a similar sort of dark blond, and my mom's hair (before she went mostly grey) was very dark, almost black. As for texture, I guess it came from either side. When my mom grows her hair out, it's rather wavy maybe even wurly. My dad's hair is wavy, and his siblings' hair ranges from wavy to curly.

luvlonghair75
January 16th, 2015, 04:22 PM
I think I get a bit from both parents. Both have fine and thin hair. Both are balding in their early 60s except dad started alot earlier. I sure hope I don't get premature balding!! This is why I started coming here to this site, so I can learn how to better take care of my hair and keep it good and healthy right til the end of my days! lol My goal is to beat genetics!

Puffer Fish
January 16th, 2015, 04:29 PM
In general I'm a weirdly perfect mix of my parents. My hair is no different!
I have my mom's hair thickness/coarseness, an inbetween of my dad's 1b hair and my mom's 2b (depending on the day/wash), but my dad's medium-dark brown color. My eyebrows are my mom's hair color (black), and the same thickness/etc. that runs in her side of the family.

Five of Five
January 16th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I got the blonde colour from my Scottish maternal Grandmother, and the ii/iii thickness from my mother.

Most people in my family have beautiful wavy hair, but mine is 1b. I'm guessing that is from my Dad's English/German side.

Angela_Rose
January 16th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Mine seems to be a mix of my parents' hair. Dad had black, coarse, almost curly hair before chemo changed it dramatically; Mom is a dark redhead whose hair is sort of coarse but definitely used to be curly/wurly (weather depending!) when she kept it long. They both have thick hair (well, Dads was, before chemo. When it grew back, it was wispy and thin, stick straight, and charcoal grey. Now he's balding with age.)
I have Dads darkness with some of Mom's red thrown in for good measure, my hair is a good balance of their coarseness and thickness, and I am a curly/wurly just like Mom. I am also greying at a much earlier age than my mother ever did, but in the same pattern- heavy at the temples with a smattering of silver throughout. She now colors her hair, though!

Hele
January 16th, 2015, 05:04 PM
my hair is 100% my dad's, however the hair color is a bit of a mystery...my dad is Native American so it's all black hair on his side and on my mom's side it's all dark brown hair. In my baby pictures i'm rather dark looking with a full head of black hair, but for whatever reason i lightened as i grew! When i was a little kid living with my paternal grandparents all the guys in the family had thick coarse hair they kept in braids that went down to their butts, as did my dad until the day last year when he randomly up and shaved his head without a word of warning to anyone. But yeah, i totally have his hair...very coarse, heavy shedding, gets everywhere hair. Our shedding hair was the bane of my mom's existence when i was growing up!

yogagirl
January 16th, 2015, 05:17 PM
My skin tone and hair is definitely like my dad's, so is my hair type and color. My mom's hair has always been fine and i (as far as I know), medium brown. I used to be a super thick iii, now I'm ii, but not too far off from iii.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 16th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I get my skin and hair colour from my mother. Both my parents had thick hair and I think I inherited my wave from my father's mother. She had the most gorgeous classic length hair :)

chen bao jun
January 16th, 2015, 06:14 PM
Dad. I'm pretty much a clone of my dad, no physical resemblance to my mom whatsoever.

Most everybody in my dad's family has coarse strong hair very high density hair which ranges from 1b to 3c, but those of us in the 3's are the majority. My dad was 3c and I've got several 3c aunts and cousins. Most of us have midnight black hair but there are a few who have brown and several as children were light brown/dark blonde. My dad's mother had the longest hair, which she could 'sit on' (I don't know if this meant classic, it might mean she could sit on a few strands at tailbone, but remember, it was curly hair that was not stretched) but all the women have at least BSL hair, ranging to waist (again, I mean while curly), unless they cut it off (or recently, fry it off, they've discovered chemical processing in the country where I'm from).

My mom's family on the other hand all have very very fine hair, very tightly curled, some may be 4b but most are fine, fragile 4c. Nobody has long hair. With the exception of my grandmother, my mother's mother who had very fine hair, but was either a 3b or 3c, and whose hair was always at least to her bra strap. No other women on this side of my family had hair even as long as their ears, so my sister and I were quite resented by this set of cousins, fit right in with the other side so much that when we'd go around, people would think we were siblings, not cousins.

lindsayhv
January 16th, 2015, 06:29 PM
Color, thickness and texture from my dad. My mom has very thin fine straight blonde hair and my dad has thick, wavy blondette hair. My bro and sis got moms hair. I was lucky to get dads!

prettyinpink
January 16th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I got my curls from my mom, and I have no idea where the red comes from. I'm mostly german. I'm not irish at all. Weird huh?

RapunzelKat
January 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM
RapunzelKat, your hair is heavenly! Maybe your hair is from a super distant relative? I get excited when I think of the possibility that my hair is a reincarnation of a super distant historical figure in my family :heartbeat: Hehe. Dormant genes can really rise up out of nowhere!

Aww, thank you curiouskitty! :flower: Yes, I expect my hair did come from someone several generations back, who we don't have pictures of. :) Pretty cool to think about, really.

dancingrain91
January 16th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I have my paternal grandmother's hair. Thickness, color, type everything. She's from Finland. I am also the same height with her body type , metabolism, hands, feet and coloration. My mother sighs that she had nothing to do with my genetics at all. I do have her eye color and almond shaped eyes... and crooked teeth. Lol. Poor mom. I even act like my grandma. She birthed a clone.

Rushli
January 16th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I get it all from my mom's side. My sister, mom, grandpa and various relatives either had or have red hair. I have auburn. My mom has 2b, maybe 2c or 3a if she did somethings different. I have 2b/c. Though I dont know if my dad's side has any curl to it. All the men have short hair hair and my grandma has worn wigs all my life.... cousin girls might have 1b but I dont know if they straighten or get it from their mom's side.

I got my curls from my mom, and I have no idea where the red comes from. I'm mostly german. I'm not irish at all. Weird huh?
My FIL is 100% Irish with 9 bothers and sisters. None of them, their kids or grandkids have a hint of red. (that includes my kids, phooey.) My grandpa was only 25% Irish, but withe the other 25% Irish from my grandma, they passed it and the red down to me and one sister.

ShDiHa
January 16th, 2015, 10:34 PM
I'm German and Irish. I have my mom's natural color, dark brown, and my dad's wurls, 2b. My sister's hair is a little lighter and curlier, but she has a different father. Everyone on my father's side has black hair, except one of my cousins.

Avis
January 16th, 2015, 10:45 PM
This is a very interesting topic! Both my parents have thick, wavy black hair so I get it from both of them. Almost everyone on my dad's side has black/dark brown hair and I only have two cousins out of 10 with medium brown hair. But my mom's side has a red/auburn gene in it from an unknown ancestor. My aunt has reddish brown hair and all three of her kids have the same dark brown/red hair. My brother has a theory that this came from a Spaniard somewhere in our family tree. It's funny because of the two of us, he got straight hair and hazel eyes and I got wavy hair and brown eyes like both my parents. It's interesting to think about where our physical traits come from.

Sparklylady82
January 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Fun thread! I have wavy blonnette hair (was blonde as a child) which I get from my dad. My mom has dark brown 1c silky hair but it is strong, more coarse in texture. I think I got my dads color and waves and my moms coarseness! Both my parents have very strong hair and my dad is 60 and has a full head of hair.

Genetic are fun! Another tidbit is that my hubby is a 1a with dark brown hair and out of our 3 children two have brown hair and one has blonde. They all have straight hair but varying coarseness or lack there of.

Aurum
January 17th, 2015, 12:21 AM
My mom must have strong genes, because I get most of my hair characteristics from her. We both have fluffy but fine blonette hair. I'm 2a and I'd say she's 2b. Granted, she has a highlighted mom haircut, so I don't know what it would look like virgin at my length.
My dad, on the other hand, has dark brown/black hair that is around 1b. I think his only contribution was to make my hair slightly straighter than my mom's.

I hope I got some of my maternal side's length genes too, because my mother's grandmother apparently had thick ~TBL hair. I also have a picture of an early 1900s aunt with, from what I can tell, classic+ hair!

tigereye
January 17th, 2015, 12:38 AM
My dad in terms of texture - my mum has coarse hair and is closer to a 3a while I have my dad's straighter, less coarse hair. However, my hair is closer in colour to how my mums was at my age, only a little lighter. I hope when I start greying, it goes like my mums - hers turned snow white, and the idea of long white hair somewhat appeals to me.

squirrrel
January 17th, 2015, 12:45 AM
Interesting... I was talking this a little with family last week...

Seems my hair came from Mum (same with my brother's). She was some kind of blonnette (hard to say, it's usually highlighted at the very least, to cover up the silvers), and fine hair. Dad's hair is either dark brown or black, and I'm told that when he grew it in his younger years, it went out rather than down, so some level of curly. Would never have realised he keeps it that short though - would probably have said wavy if I'd thought about it though.

Mum says she got her hair from her Dad. I can't comment on that, never felt his hair to know the texture, and it was grey when I knew him. Seems her Mum had coarse hair though and we're definitely finey's. She did admit that her Mum's Mum had long fine hair though. No idea of colour (though it went white when she was taken into a care home type place and they chopped it from classic+ to short as she couldn't look after it anymore...).

Marika
January 17th, 2015, 02:24 AM
My hair type (fine) comes from both of my parents. I think most of the Finns have fine hair. My hair color (dark blonde) is from my dad. My mom has almost dark brown hair.

ummyahya
January 17th, 2015, 02:49 AM
No idea! Both my parents have dark, fine black hair. I have medium, blondish hair. Must have been a long hidden recessive gene!

Haybop
January 17th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Hair type - my dad's (both parents have thick hair but my mum's is curly). Colour wise I have no clue - both parents had hair so dark brown it could almost be called black and my grandparents are no help as they were all grey when I knew them and the only pictures I see are either black & white for one set of grandparents or just show my blond grandad and dyed hair grandma :P

But me and my 2 sisters have almost exactly the same hair colour.

Nique1202
January 17th, 2015, 04:33 AM
My hair almost all comes from my mom. Her side of the family has several recent native ancestors, and everyone has thick, wavy, coarse, dark brown hair with lots of red undertones from a Scottish ancestor. Mine is a shade lighter with a few more natural golden-reddish highlights, and the individual strands are finer and softer, but it's just as thick and wavy.

Mellenoire
January 17th, 2015, 04:56 AM
My hair comes from my mother's father's side of the family, I think. Unfortunately I don't have my father's family history but on my mother's father's side, my ancestors were well known for having very dark, thick, frizzy hair. The dark hair and features were reflected in my ancestors surnames which can be translated to dark wolf (dark worm was used in a colloquial context as wolf and worm are homonyms in the mother tongue) and dark people. They lived near the Caucasus region and I think they may have had "Circassian hair" but of course, that could be vanity speaking!

On my mother's mothers side, much to my chagrin, the women have impossibly straight, black, beautiful hair. But no, I didn't inherit that, did I!

Jennah
January 17th, 2015, 05:27 AM
What an interesting thread, never thought of that, but I got my hair 100% from my father. Black and curly. I also got my father´s eye color also black.

My mother´s hair is light brown, 1a type, and has light brown eyes. My brother instead got my mother´s hair and eye color. He also looks like her and I look like my father. :)

missblueeyes
January 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM
I'm not really sure since my mom used to henna her hair when I was younger until she went for a really short chop. Both of my parents have blue eyes and ash-blonde hair which darkened over the years. I do think that my hair is from my mother's German side of the family, though, because my grandmother and my aunt have really similar hair. My grandparent's hair on my father's side is quite curly and a lot darker. :)

swords & roses
January 17th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Color: I'm not quite sure, really! Both my parents started off blonde as kids, and gradually darkened to brunette. My sister & I were both born brunettes & stayed that way. No one ever discussed my mom's parents' original hair colors, and I only remember my grandpa as bald & my grandma as either dyed black or natural gray. My dad's dad was a red head. And no one remembers my dad's mom's original color, because she always dyed it black.

Thickness: I got that more from my mom. My dad, though bald up top now, still has very thick hair in the areas that remain. He once said he had a braid in high school that was roughly 2 or 3 inches in diameter! My sister got thick hair, though not to that degree. I got thin hair, but thankfully not to the degree of my mom and two of her sisters. Their ponytails are less than an inch wide at the hair tie.

Texture: Who knows! I never saw pictures of my dad with his hair grown out, and he's never mentioned what his texture was when it was anything longer than 1 inch. Mom's hair is straight & limp, but she uses blow dryers & curling irons & combs it wet, so there's no telling what her true type is. Mine is just a hint wavy, less-so if I detangle when it's wet.

Fun fact: My cousin on my dad's side made a fun hair discovery when she had kids. She shares my red-head grandpa. She's brunette. Pretty sure her mom/my aunt is brunette or blonnette naturally, but who knows with all those decades of dye! My cousin's dad is brunette. My cousin's husband is brunette, as are both of his parents, and all of his grandparents save one: a red head. My cousin's two kids? Both flaming red heads! My cousin ended up dying hers red to match them! Seems the gene likes to skip a couple generations around here. Which means if I ever have kids, there's a possibility for red heads! That'd be cool! My only niece at the moment ended up with blonde hair even though my sister & her husband are brunette, but that may be from my parents, & will probably darken up over time.

Fun fact #2: My mom's brother and his son are brunette, but have flaming red beards! (No relation to my red head grandpa.)

Fun fact #3: My aunt is the only one of 5 kids in that generation with pale blonde curly hair that refuses to grow longer than ear length. All her siblings have straightish lanky hair with no trouble growing much longer, and that's much darker in the blonnette/brunette spectrum.

Fun fact #4: I have a full-blown albino cousin, so that gene is somewhere in the mix for my future generations! He's got super tight curls, and learned that he needs to keep it at a buzz cut. If he let's it get too long, the poor guy looks like a poodle!

Genetics are fun. :)

RainbowBowser
January 17th, 2015, 06:32 AM
My mostly-straight hair texture is likely from my mother's side, as her hair is slightly wavy.
My mother's texture is pretty much 1c/2a/F/ii/iii (4" circumference pretty sure). My father's texture before accepting baldness was curly red hair(yay! Its in the gene pool!) strand thickness and ponytail cirumference a mystery.
I likely inherited my mother's early greys too. However, when lice struck my family, it barely affected me in comparison to the fineys (my sister (2c/3a/F/ii/iii) and mother). So my strands are a bit thicker, and my hair was always thinner than theirs.
Texture isnt too confusing but strand thickness might stem further back in my genetic possibilities.

Olavi
January 17th, 2015, 06:44 AM
I'm pretty sure it's mostly from my dad. For a very long time I thought I got my hair from my mom, but the more age I get, the more it resembles what my dad had when he was younger (he even had longish hair when he was 20). My mom have similar colour when my hair is sun bleached, but if her hair was longer she would have more curls/waves than I do. I have more hair than either of my parent's, so I think there's some "jump gene" going on too.

minaa
January 17th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I probably got this from my dad's side of the family, specifically my grandmother. Both of my parents are half Norwegian, so I have a very standard hair color for that region.

My grandma has told me her frustrations with thickness and getting her hair to curl, so, I'm betting it's the same.

Éowyn_GreyEyes
January 17th, 2015, 08:48 AM
hmmmm... I think often about this actually...

I think I have mostly my dads colour, but the reddish side to it is definitely from my mom's side. The texture used to be my dads (wurly and curly all at once) but it all fell out when I was a couple years old and grew back bone straight like my moms with the exception of all my cowlicks. I have lots of hair like my dad but its very thin/fine like my moms...

But according to my grams on my dads side I look like a complete clone to my third or fourth (can't remember which) great grandmother (and thats including body shape and face). All the photo's (only a handful) I've ever seen of her are in black and white obviously but her hair does indeed look very similar to mine in the shade and texture.

lapushka
January 17th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure. My parents both have (had) black hair. Since my mom turned gray, she dyes it blonde about 3 to 4 times a year. I have a dark ashy blonde/brown tint to my hair. In the summer and natural light it gets really light, but in the winter it gets really dark.

Gertrude
January 17th, 2015, 12:03 PM
I don't resemble either of my parents. I am a clone in more than the hair department of my paternal grandfather. I am a female version of him. He had many brothers, my great uncles looking the same. Distinctive build, same joints, same blonde hair and grey eyes. We all have hypermobile joints. When I was little I would love to put my little hand next to his big hand which looked like mine. The Science museum in London had an exhibition that included looking in a mirror computer that then reflected what you would have been like as the opposite gender. Bit of a shock. Stone me, I'm his clone.

Fine slippery hair, dark golden blonde , doesn't grey very much at all , he had no male pattern baldness.....in that sense a great hair clone. My mother had thick, coarse light brown hair like her mum, my father had dark ash blonde hair and went bald on top and grey early. I was very much the odd duck in my childhood as people would remark on my lack of resemblance to either father or mother.

My daughter is the spitting image as in very, very like her father and has his thick , slightly wavy, brunette hair. Barrettes stay in place, ribbons stay in place, I can French or Dutch braid it........it's wonderful. And she she is seven so still lets mummy do her hair (-;

Saldana
January 17th, 2015, 01:46 PM
What an interesting thread! I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories so much that I got to the end of the thread and thought 'whoops, guess it's my turn'.

My father was of German descent, with steel blue eyes, and clear fair skin which tanned easily. He started to grey and bald early, but before he did, his hair was dark brown, with some waves.

My mother is half Irish, half Cherokee, with cornflower blue eyes, and pale freckled skin which does not tan. She has enormous quantities of fine, mostly straight hair. She did not start to grey at all under she was well into her late 60s. Before then, her hair was a tawny reddish dark blonde/light brunette color. (She and her sister took after their Irish dad, all but four of their five brothers look more like my Cherokee grandmother, who had blue eyes and black straight hair).

OK.

There are three of us kids (me, the oldest, then my two brothers).

My middle brother took almost completely after my mom - pale, freckley skin which does not tan, thick sandy blonde/brown hair.
My little brother took almost completely after my dad - clear fair skin, brown wavy hair (also starting to recede and grey, in his early 40s)

Me, I'm a blend. My skin is very pale, but clear, and it will tan easily if I let it. My hair is a blend as well - mostly straight, thick, but neither fine nor coarse. It was quite blonde when I was little, but got darker and darker until it is basically dark brown. It started to grey in my 40s, and has always had lots of reddish and gold tones in it. So I'd say early greying from my Dad, the reddish tones from the Irish side of my mom's family (maternal grandfather) and the color, straightness, texture, and possibly color from the Cherokee side of my mom's family (maternal grandmother).

Bonus fact: Although my eyes are technically blue (rather than brown, green, or hazel) they are so dark and opaque that people are frequently surprised that they are, in fact, blue.

FallingDarkness
January 17th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Well I come from an entire family of blondes it seems. Everyone on my dad's side has naturally blonde hair, and my mom and her mother both have blonde hair.
However, my thick hair comes from my dad, and my waves seem to be a combination of my dad's once curly hair and my mom's straight hair. *shrug*

If we're sharing other weird features: My eyes are blue, and I have no idea why they are blue because my mom, my sister, and my little brother have gray eyes, and my dad and my other little brother have green eyes.
Why don't I have green eyes? I love green eyes. <3

curiouskitty
January 17th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I love love love reading all of your responses!! Our hair can tell so many stories about us.

My pale skin tone and brown eyes are definitely from my French grandma's side as well. My father showed me pictures of her at age 20 today, and apart from the hair texture, we looked identical! My Japanese friends always touch my hair and play with it, gushing over how soft and curly it is (I never understood their fascination, since I've always wanted straight and thick hair since I was very little - the grass is always greener, right?). The only real Japanese trait I have are my almond eyes, shaped exactly like my mother's. Like my father's hair, my 'European' hair can look gold-ish or reddish depending on the lighting. Upon further inspection of old family photos, my French grandfather seems to have the same goldish coppery brown tone to his hair (though his hair was stick straight, unlike me and my father).

Lately, I'm starting to finally really love my European genes, because I've discovered a new love for soft curls and fairytale ends, as seen in renaissance paintings. :o

lapushka
January 17th, 2015, 03:46 PM
I talked about hair color, but forgot texture. My mom has 1c'ish hair, my dad has 2b'ish hair, but he keeps it so short in the last few years it doesn't show (about an inch long). I have 2b, maybe 2b/2c in the best of circumstances. Both my parents have F hair. I have F hair as well. My mom and dad both had thick (ii/iii) hair when they were young. I had thin hair as a child, and was 1c'ish, but when puberty hit I went to a iii thickness and full on wavy hair, more like my dad. It's odd, isn't it. The only thing I don't have in common is the hair color. Both parents had black hair. I'm a dark ash blonde/brown.

Seeshami
January 17th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Grandmother for thickness

Mother for color

Father for growth rate

Same texture. Oldest sister got the magic wft happened here curls

quendelyn
January 17th, 2015, 07:41 PM
My red hair color from my Daddy, (though technically from both parents, as it is a recessive gene that must be on both sides of the family) my hair texture from my Mama.

Noula
January 18th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Colour and texture could probably be from either side since there's a mix of hairtypes on both sides. My mother had F/M, 1B/1C dark ash blond mixed with light ash brown that tended to look darkish unless you looked at it up close to see it just a trick of the light now mixed with grey and my father a warmer darker brown that's all gone salt and peppar, C and maybe 2B. All of their kids except one have lighter hair than either of them, mostly ash or neutral as well well as mostly F or M, although the sister with darker hair I don't know what her adult hair colour is like since she's kept her hair dyed for over 15 years.

Genetics are fun. Myself and one of my brothers look almost exactly like our maternal grandfather and uncle with maybe some features from my mother (who looks almost exactly like her mother) or from my father's side of the family (I have a different jawline and my brother and I have differently shaped eyes) while one of my sisters looks very much like our mother from some angles but with some clear features from my father's side as well and my other sister looks a lot like my father and his side of the family but we have the same cheek and maybe cheekbones as well, while my youngest brother seems fairly blended. I've never met my grandfather but strangely enough I share a lot of body language with my uncle despite only seeing him rarely.

pittsburgpam
January 18th, 2015, 08:36 AM
I think mainly from my father. He had blonde as a child that turned darker, just as mine did. My mother had dark brown hair. His was a little curly, my mother's was straight. His grandmother had red hair, I was strawberry blonde and now have a tinge of red (when it's not henna'd). Another aspect is that women on my father's side had very long hair. They are Pentecostal but still genetically it means that they can grow it long.

Scarlet_Heart
January 18th, 2015, 08:52 AM
I got my ash brown hair color from my mom, but the thickness, texture, wave from my dad. Mom's is thin and stick-straight.

ooglipoo
January 18th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Can't tell!

Both my parents have dark hair and dark eyes. I had light blonde hair as a child and dark blonde hair as an adult. Blue eyes. Each parent has a parent with red hair, one with blue eyes, one with green.

I look like a mix of all four of my grandparents, in a way. A feature here and there, all stuck together. Hair is a combo of both sides, I guess.

The dominant nationalities in play would be Irish, Scottish, English, German, and Spanish.

My hair texture has changed from 2b as a child to 3a as a long-haired adult. I bet if I didn't have the length weighing me down, I'd be a 3b at shoulder length. None of the family appears to have had hair this curly, so ?

I can even look at photographs of great-grandparents for comparison! Both of my maternal great-grandmothers had long hair, which they wrapped around their head using hair pins.

My Mother is 70 and has a thick head of 2c, dark brown hair. I've never seen her hair at least colored a little, like highlights. She keeps it cut in a shag at shoulder length. It's always in her face or in her way; thick bangs, too. She has so much hair that her bee-hives were amazing, a la pics from the 60's.

Hair heritage is fun!

Angela_Rose
January 18th, 2015, 09:08 AM
So I find myself wondering about the way we inherit certain traits from our parents, because I am one of four kids and none of us has hair anything like the others. I have thick, almost coarse, curly/wurly, dark brown hair with natural red tones, but my sister is a Shirley Temple curly definite redhead. My brothers are completely different- one is blond and kind of fine,and the other has almost black hair that is so coarse we tell him we could scrub pots clean on his head. What the heck, genetics?

Sammy-Catherine
January 18th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Both my parents have blonde hair but my mother says I have red on the back of my head like her mother.

hanne jensen
January 18th, 2015, 09:25 AM
My hair is identical to my Icelandic Great Grandmother. My maternal Garndfather's mother. She had hair to her ankles and chopped back to lower calf every year with newly sharpened sheep shearing shears.

AspenSong
January 18th, 2015, 09:35 AM
I think I've mostly got my Dad's hair. I'd say for color, I'm sort of a middle ground between both parents. My mother had ash blonde hair (my brother straight up got the Swedish genes on her side and has very blonde hair, almost white blonde at times) and my Dad had nearly black hair with some reddish tints (Gma on that side had red hair when younger and that side is Irish in heritage, Gpa's was German/Welsh). My hair is ashy in tone naturally, but darker than my mothers and darkened up a lot as I got older. It's nowhere near my Dad's color, which I always hoped and wished for, but not really like mothers or anyone else in the family either.
For type I think it's more my Dad's, though I know if I got either parents hair I was destined to have fine and thin hair. My mothers side all had fine and thinner hair, my mother herself had a very small amount of hair. Knowing hair typing now, I'd have put her at a 1a/f/i - but a small i, I doubt she had much over an inch of circumference, if that. My Dad had very fine hair also, but more of it. I imagine if grown out and measured it would have been a bit more than I have. So definitely think I'm closer to Dad on hair overall.
Figures I couldn't get the Irish genetics from Dad's mothers side - thick, naturally wavy, red or black hair. =P
Going off getting more of my Dad's traits, I just think I got more physical in general - I also 100% have his thin fingernails (mother had crazy growing, thick as could be nails that looked like a gel manicure with little effort), oily skin, and I definitely got no height genes from my mother either because she was almost 5'11"...my brother got them and is 6'4", I stayed stuck at 5'3". lol.

mermaid lullaby
January 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I got my hair from my dad

Achlys
January 18th, 2015, 10:20 AM
I have my dad's dark blonde thin and fine slightly wavy hair (mine has straightened after henna, though). Sometimes I feel like that's unfortunate, because my mom had 1a/C/iii auburn hair when she was younger. Now it's medium brown with a fair amount of gray and somewhat finer strands, but it's still very damage resistant.

StellaKatherine
January 18th, 2015, 10:25 AM
I have situation similar to ooglipoo. My mother have very dark, almost black 3a/3b hair. It is super thick, definitely a iii. But her hair never grows lower than BSL and dark brown eyes and warm skin tone even at winter time. My dad had really dark brown hair as well, wavy and brown eyes. I do not have much of information about my dad's side because of the devorce when I was a little girl. But what I know is , that my dad's mother had a blue eyes and blond hair and my mom's dad has dark blond curly hair and blue eyes. I got silvergrey eyes which mom says she never seen before and this weird haircolour that no one seems to know how to call. Have asked few times at hairdresser and they just don't know how to call it. My skin is very light with red undertone. I am physically 100% looking like my dad except that I inherited my grandmom's from mom's side jewish nouse ( I am very proud of it hehe ) and hair that grows long, as granny had at least classic lenght hair when she was young. My wild guess that the thickness of my hair comes from dad's side, but can't be sure about it.

GlassWidow
January 19th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I have no Irish, either but people always assume, particularly because I live near Boston, that with my freckles and red hair, I must be Irish. I like to tell people that my family's village must have been attacked by Vikings at some point in the distant past. It always gives them pause.

cathair
January 19th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I have hair somewhere between my Dad and his Sister. They both have very dark hair. It's hard to say if it was the same type, because my Dad has never grown it past his ears. His was very curly when he was younger and wavy now it is white. My Aunt's hair was wavy, but maybe not quite as much as mine, which curls at the ends. Both of them went pure white relatively young. My Dad is very proud of being 70 and not being bald!

My Mum on the other hand has light brown/mid brown hair. It's probably 1b and had a circumference that was three times what I have quite literally! She has lost half her hair and her circumference still dwarves mine!

Ideally I would have liked my Mum's hair density and my Dad's colour. But we don't get to pick and choose do we? :D

GlassWidow
January 19th, 2015, 09:16 AM
I'm having so much fun reading this thread! It seems like a lot of women are reporting getting their hair from their dad's side. I find that really interesting, though there's probably no significance to it in a larger sample.

My husband's brother is a redhead, so hubby and I have been interested to see what color my boys end up being. Both were both very blond when they were babies, spent some time as strawberry blonds in their toddler years, and now have matured to a very deep auburn that most people assume is brown, until they are in direct sunlight. I think they're going to end up brown, but I bet I have redheaded grandbabies in a few decades!

Begemot
January 30th, 2015, 02:09 PM
My mum was golden blonde child but now refers to her hair as mousy, to me her roots look pretty dark brown (although you really can't tell since she bleaches it). My dad has medium ash brown hair. Then there's me. I'm sort of blonette colored: light brown/dark blonde with golden and coppery tones. If I remember correctly my dads mum was a red head so maybe I got some of my warm tones from her. Relatives often say that I look like her (I never met her and there's very few photos of her around so it's hard to say).
About texture. Mum has very thick, coarse and loosely wavy hair. Dad has fine and mildly wavy hair. I'm average thickness and my hair is straight and has always been but I do have sometimes mild wavyness in my nape hair (and I secretly wish that some day all of my hair gets naturally really wavy...). My hair is a mixture of coarse and fine strands so 50/50 from both momma and poppa.

Snivellus
January 30th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I definitely got it from my mom. Even the long hair mentality. She had knee length hair when she was in highschool.

Ambrielle
January 30th, 2015, 03:10 PM
i got my hair from my grandmother (mother's side), my father was blonde with straight hair and my mother has medium to pale brown hair/straight. As far i know no one else from either side of the family has this texture, colour and density except my nan. I am 1/3 part cherokee so i don't doubt others in our family line had similar hair type.

MINAKO
January 30th, 2015, 03:38 PM
i replied to this and my answer got lost so i keep it short this time, i have equal parts european, asian and black characteristics to my hair, yet there is no other person in the family with exactly the same hair as mine.

battles
January 30th, 2015, 03:50 PM
My family is of French/Acadian descent. I got mine from my mother. She has the same 2a/2b F/M hair, though mine is a slightly cooler/lighter color. I was blonde as a child and blonette now, and my mom was closer to light brown as a child and only darkened very slightly.

Mom had hip length hair in her late teen's, so I have some hope. :)

Larki
January 30th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Neither? Haha my grandmother was blonde all her life, until she went white. Neither of my parents stayed blonde long (my mom's went away when she was like seven, my dad's turned brown in his early 20s)

AZDesertRose
January 30th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I pretty much have my mom's hair in both texture and color. Mine tends to be a little more flyaway than hers, which may be an inheritance from my father, who had thin, fine hair. My hair is fairly fine, but not as fine as his was. Mom's hair is not as thick as mine but it was when she was my age, so I guess I get to look forward to thinning hair in my 50s or 60s or so. (Well, maybe not; she had problems with alopecia when she was around my age and I have had no such trouble.)

Scelesta
January 30th, 2015, 11:03 PM
I dont know where i got it! my dads a blonde like myself but my grandparents on his side are deep brown curly haired, on my moms side its all dark near black thin straight hair. I have ash blonde curly thick hair. Also got blue eyes and boobs also an extreme rarity in my family. Must be from a way distant family member

spirals
January 30th, 2015, 11:16 PM
My paternal grandfather gave his curl pattern to his kids and me. Well, maybe. My mom's dad had curly hair, too. As far as color, I think that's my mom's side. I have medium golden brown and the brunettes on Dad's side have darker hair.

Helix
January 31st, 2015, 01:15 AM
I've heard you inherit you hair traits from your mother's father, but I'm not sure if that only applies to males, (male pattern baldness).

horribleatnames
January 31st, 2015, 01:51 AM
Got my mom's hair colour, but the rest I don't know of. I've never really looked, touched or otherwise examined their hair XD

Oh! I've got double whirls in my neck like dad. At least that's what mom keeps telling me when she shaves my head.

Tussi
January 31st, 2015, 06:03 AM
My hair is exactly the same colour and texture as my aunts hair, mom's younger sister. It's kind of fun to see what it'll be like in 30 years from now.

Auntie and I are tawny, dad and his sisters are dark, dark brown, and mom is very light naturally blond.

Daylilly
January 31st, 2015, 07:46 AM
It is a mystery! Mom= dark brown + Dad=light brown
sis 1= blonde 1a/F/ii
bro = light brown 1b/M/iii
sis 2= red 3a/M/iii
me = blondette

How did we get so many hair colors and textures out of brown?

YvetteVarie
February 3rd, 2015, 03:49 AM
Mine is from my mums side. My mum says my hair is exactly like my aunt's (her older sister). I sometimes tease her by saying I wasn't meant to be her daughter as I look more like my aunt than like her

schweedie
February 3rd, 2015, 05:37 AM
I think mine mostly comes more from my dad's side of the family - my dad himself has brown hair, but my grandma, my aunt and my cousin were/are all blonde-ish. My mother had the same hair as me until she hit puberty and suddenly went from fine, straight blonde hair to coarse, brown 2c-ish (which is what the rest of the family on that side have). I used to worry when I was younger that my hair would suddenly do the same thing, but I don't seem to have had inherited that particular quirk! I've got her cowlicks, though. *g*

hannabiss
February 3rd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Not sure. My hair color is unlike my mom or dad who both have nearly black brown hair. I have medium light brown. Also my mom and dad both have very wavey curly textured hair. My maternal grandma had copper penny colored hair and very straight and thin. I think i have her texture. But not her color.

PinkyCat
February 3rd, 2015, 10:31 AM
My black, curly hair is totally my dad's (Puerto Rican). But my pale skin is my mom's (Polish). She was so pale she looked blue in her wedding photos.
I'm the perfect Goth-O'Rican. Goth coloring with Latina features. :rockerdud

atlantaz3
February 3rd, 2015, 01:04 PM
The Postman was always the joke in my family. Dad and brother have black hair, mother had auburn, but went gray before I was born! People would stop and rudely ask my mother "how you get blonde child" (English not a native language in our area at that time!). But the blonde came from northern Germany roots on my mother's side.

TurtleWexler
February 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Definitely got my hair from my dad. Same shade of dark brown, same curl pattern. So much so that when I first started growing out my pixie cut, there was an unfortunate stage when we had the same hairstyle!

jupiterinleo
February 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
I have my maternal grandmother's hair. She was English/American Indian. It's dark blonde/light ashy red-brown, so it's definitely from the English side.
My hair is a little wavier than my mom's, though. I could've inherited the wave from my dad. I wonder if that's possible; hair genetics are pretty complex.

TaterTot
February 3rd, 2015, 08:13 PM
I have my dad's hair for sure, stick straight thick mousey brown. He went grey at 27. I'm 23 and I am just hoping for the same luck!

mamaherrera
February 4th, 2015, 01:34 AM
My waves are from my mom, who is curlier. My hair color is after my mom, with signs of German descent from my dad with a mix of colors, dark brown, to orangey-red strands. My biggest worry is alopecia since my mom and dad have it. I just can't figure out though, who I get my "C's" from, the "receding" inverted "C's" on both sides of my forehead, as my mom doesn't have those, neither does my sister. I'm getting earlier whites than I think both my parents, but in the same places as my mom and sister, temples and now starting to flare out throughout.

iYaap
February 4th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Interesting question because my parents have both dark hair.

lapushka
February 4th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I've heard you inherit you hair traits from your mother's father, but I'm not sure if that only applies to males, (male pattern baldness).

He was partly bald (on top). So... that can't be it. ;)

TrapperCreekD
February 4th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Very interesting thread! My heritage (hairitage?) is German/Danish/English?/Slavic, and I would say I'm smack dab in the middle of my parents' color and texture.

Dad: So-dark-brown-it-looks-black 3a/3b, C?, i, probably ii/iii before thinning.
Mom: dark brown with auburn tones and blonde sun streaks 1c/2a (could easily be coaxed into solid 2a/2b with better care), M, ii, probably ~iii before thinning.
Me: dk brown, a slightly warmer shade, with auburn and blonde sun streaks, 2c/3a, M, ii/iii.

NoRush
February 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I've no idea actually... the only person with hair kinda sorta like mine in my family was my maternal great grandmother... and even that is a bit of a stretch, both my parents have relly thick coarse black straight hair, one grandmother had fine but thick blonde wavy/curly hair and another had fine and thin brownish straight hair... the grandads I'm not sure though, who knows? :P I hope I go gray in the same pattern as all the women in my mom's family have, white on the top/crown, gray in the middle and dark brown/black at the nape, my mom gets the most natural blonde "highlights" on her hair just applying an all-over colour ;D

I'm a caucasian mix btw, I've got a random italian/mediterranian mix, some austrian and possibly some turkish thrown in and no one in my family really has hair like mine, medium strands, thick, slightly wavy dark brown with a tendency to go blonde in the sun... Maybe I got it from my mom's dad's side of the family whom I've never met.

yahirwaO.o
February 4th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Another one who has no idea..... One aunt and me are the only ones in our big family tree who happens to have bone straight hair.... The rest members go from 2b big waves to 3b ringlets and very thick coarse....

My naturals mom hair is 3a3b georgeous ringlets (nowadays its so damage its just a huge poof of something) My dad's hair was probably a 2c and very thick-coarse into his 60's

My hair is borderline 1a, fine, silky and soft, my aunt has straight but more thickish hair.... so that basically leaves me with no more options... my grandparents and all my cousins had-have wurly hair too in both sides..... Nobody else in my family to look at... no one......

So yeah my family always teases me what I did to get my hair this way, smooth etc and they had joked about the fact that im probably adopted.... LOL

The only thing we have in common is we all have very dark to almost black hair. ;)

ChocolateWaves
February 4th, 2015, 11:42 PM
My mom has VERY curly fine hair. She wears it very short, lots of cute little ringlets all over her heads. She is naturally dark brown but she has dyed it red since I can remember, as her hair was red as a little girl.
My dad has very dark, almost black fine hair which he has always kept short but appears to have a slight wave pattern.

Mine was a pretty red brown as a little girl and very curly with mom's ringlets, which as I got older darkened to just an ash brown (no red) and straightened to fine 2b waves. Sooo I feel like I sort of have a mix of both of their hair ? :) which I feel very blessed with, as I am very close to both of my parents and I love their heads of hair :P

ghost
February 5th, 2015, 01:22 AM
Natural color (blonette), medium density and overall fine texture are from my dad, but my wave pattern is from my mom. No one on my dad's side has wave pattern even a little bit more than 1b, but I got 2b/2c waves from his 1b and my mom's 3c.

prankdemon
February 5th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure. I think I have my dad's colour (my mum's a real blonette, I think I am too but still I'm a lot darker than she is). I do have my mum's structure (1aF), but if there were categories of fine hair, mine would be on the thicker side of fine, and hers Fine+, if you get what I mean. My brother is the odd one out with his beautiful blonette curls.

ositarosita
February 5th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Both my parents are Dutch both are blondes my Dad a blonette and my Mother a strawberry blonde. So between the two of them I was born blonde when i was younger platinum (at the hospital they had to put a blue background so you could see my hair, it was so blonde it was like glass) but now i have my Dad's side's colour ( a natural silver/ grey tone with platinum highlights and chestnut low lights)... however i have my mother's hair texture which is 3 a/b as my Father's side of the family is all in the 1 category ...

I think that's one reason i love it so much .. its equal parts

ClassicAim
February 6th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I got it all from my dad's side of the family. I'm told I have identical hair to my grandma on his side she had 4a hair like me which my mum said went down to hair elbows braided. I and that side of the family seem to have no problem growing hair while my mums side of the family have 4c hair that requires a lot more care to grow. Both my parents have jet black hair and as do I. I'm (to my knowledge)West African with a tiny bit of European from my mum's side but tracing my family tree is very difficult.

lillithnight
February 6th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I get my thickness, and how coarse individual strands are from my Jewish grandmother. My dad's side gave me my curl pattern, and an almost burgandy highlight in the sun. My paternal grandad had very red hair for someone who is Black, and that's where I get the tint.

tokugawa.miyako
February 6th, 2015, 07:41 PM
In terms of natural color and general appearance, my hair looks just like my moms: dark brown with red highlights. I think my mom's hair might be straighter than mine, judging from pictures I've seen of her as a teenager with longer hair. I'm not sure where the waves come from; all of the women in my family have short hair so I'll never know what it would look like grown out. :(

kitana97
February 7th, 2015, 12:57 AM
I'm the only auburn head in the family. My mom is blonde and my father has black/brown hair so I'm not sure where I got my reddish-brown locks. I think one of my grandmothers *may* have had some red tinge in their hair before graying - or so I've been told - but it's a bit hard to see in black and white photos so the confirmation is unclear. As far as texture I there aren't any curlies in my family - I think we are all mostly straight or at the most slightly wavy.

cheystar
February 7th, 2015, 02:06 AM
definitely my mom and grandma. dark brown, curly, super frizzy, and fast growing! :p i'm not quite sure what my dad's looks like, but i think it made my hair not as curly as my mom's.

FairHairedDane
February 7th, 2015, 09:45 AM
I think that I have it all from my mother or her side of the family. She had straight, blonde hair until her late teen years, then it turned to an ash-brown colour. I have however still my straight blonde locks. My brother got my father's lovely ringlet curls and his light ash-brown colour.

And I am the only one, as far as I know, who have been able to grow long hair long hair past shoulder length.

trolleypup
February 7th, 2015, 10:45 AM
From my mom, coarse, straightish, black, probably long terminal length; from dad, medium fine, curly, red brown. Greying early from dad, late from mom. So I'm pretty much in the middle. Oh, and missed the MPB from my dad who had a professorial fringe by his mid 30s. Baldness is rare in his family, and absent in my mom's. <3

animetor7
February 7th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Probably my great grandmother. I'm the only one in my family who shows any of the redhead genes in my family from past generations. I have auburn hair that gets brighter in the Summer and can't make up it's mind between brown and auburn in the Winter, and I am very pasty and get freckles. My texture isn't really either of my parents, probably closer to my mom, but I have more wave than she does (She has none, I have a few waves around my face). My family is mostly Austrian and Romanian with a smattering of Scottish and Irish thrown in. My grandmother has a really cool book with historical pictures of our family from Austria and Romania, and pictures of people they knew, and my hair is very similar to that side of the family, and their friends, as are most of my other features, (eyes, body-type, etc.).

3 Cat Night
February 7th, 2015, 02:21 PM
My hair is almost exactly like my maternal grandmother's in color and texture. Just like everything else about me. My face looks like hers. My attitude is like hers. It's almost as if I am her daughter, not her granddaughter.

DweamGoiL
February 7th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Maternal grandmother, also. She had long hair into her 90's although it was rather thin, but very long.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2015, 03:02 AM
My mom and dad on the blonde color turning brown in adult hood. My texture is my dad's I have straight hair. My moms is curly and thick. I have straight thick hair that's fine my moms is course.

martyna_22
February 8th, 2015, 04:08 AM
Mom. Hers is blondette-ish/light brown, whilst mine natural is blondette, and hers is straighter than mine - but not much. Now that I think about it, I might be more towards 1c, while hers is about 1b. Mine is slightly thicker, though, but also less silky.

Nettyx
February 8th, 2015, 06:37 AM
My hair is really similar to my mum's. Blonette, straight and fine (although she says hers was a bit darker). I was red when I was a child which is from my maternal grandmother. My dad has gorgeous dark brown thick curls which my sister has inherited (and ruins with bleach).

Alex Lou
February 11th, 2015, 01:56 AM
I suppose it's more accurate to say that I got the red from both sides genetically, but my mom and I both have visible red hair and my dad does not. But like my dad, I started life with platinum blonde hair. Mine just darkened to orange, then to auburn, while his darkened to brown. My mom's hair was super red, and my hair is now in between red and brown, but not as brown as most of the ladies over in the auburn thread. I suspect that I got some of the very kinky strands from my great grandfather. I've only seen one photo of him, and it makes me laugh because he essentially had a fro which he'd tried to part in the middle fairly unsuccessfully. My brother has that same hair texture and has grown a fro before. If I remember correctly, the great grandfather was Polish. I get the thickness from my dad. He's over 70 now and still has a full head of hair.

jpitt
February 11th, 2015, 10:20 AM
My hair is definitely my mom's: light brown/dirty blonde and thick with a little waviness. My dad's hair is on the straighter and red side of things and my sister's hair looks more like his I think. I am kind of glad my mom's hair is on the short side presently so I don't have the exact same hair as her. I don't really think I could take a mom and son hairstyle.

Larki
February 16th, 2015, 07:03 PM
To elaborate on my earlier post: my heritage is mostly Danish and Native American - basically opposites on the hair color spectrum - so I'm nervous to find out whether my blonde hair actually lasts. I know most people who are naturally blonde find that their hair gets darker as they age, so I hope mine is currently as dark as it will go, since it's already darkened dramatically from childhood. But who knows? I mean, most of my body hair is actually oddly two-toned (blonde at the half closest to the root, dark blonde/light brown at the half closest to the tip) so....I'm clearly some sort of weird mutt. :p I hope my hair has darkened as much as it's going to, though.

Nivine
February 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
both my parents have black hair, so it's pretty much expected to have black hair also. But hair type and texture is from my aunt (my mother's sister)
[EDIT]
By black, I mean the color, not afro

Hairkay
February 20th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Both parents contributed. They both have black hair. My mother has thick 4c hair that grows to her collar bone unstretched before it begins to break off. Father's hair was in the 2-3 range. I ended up with thick 3c-4a curly kinky spirals. My sisters all have BSL hair before one of them (4c) cut hers shorter and permed it straight. My younger sis (3c-4b) decided to have locs and her locs are WL. People say I'm leaning a bit more to my father's side with the hair because mine tends to be shiny where as my sisters aren't.

Creagan
February 21st, 2015, 12:45 AM
Both my parents have dark brown hair. My dad's hair is actually so dark it looks black.

Mine is the exact same shade and texture as my paternal grandmother.

vega
February 21st, 2015, 12:54 AM
I don't know where I got my tight curls from if I knew I would like to thank them :o

sapphire-o
February 21st, 2015, 01:10 AM
My paternal grandma -> my dad -> me -> my second son all have the same hair. It seems hair genes don't dilute or mix much. We all have glossy, slippery, wavy hair that's dark brown. They're very shiny and strong and don't tangle much. The only sucky part is short terminal length. I never managed more than TBL.

M.McDonough
February 27th, 2015, 01:37 AM
I've got 5 sisters and I'm the only boy. Compared to me, they all have fairly longer straight hair like 1b or 1c ''not sure''. But none of them has wavy hair like me I'm 2a/2b :/ I wonder why.. Does gender have anything to do with this? I hope not..

Kherome
February 27th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Neither, my Ma has curly blond hair that darkened somewhat with age, my father has jet black stick straight hair. I have lightly wavy red hair. Milkman? Who knows.

Shibe
February 27th, 2015, 05:19 AM
My mom is a dark skinned/eyed/haired hispanic, and my dad is a light skinned/eyed/haired german.

While I have my moms face, I have my dads skin and hair. My brother has my moms skin, hair, and my dads eyes and nose.

My brother has the thick hispanic lion mane, and I have the baby fine thin hair.

MagicalMystery
February 27th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I got my hair from my dad.:) Funnily enough, his mother committed herself to red hair all her life too. I would have liked to know her.

hinabelle
February 27th, 2015, 08:07 AM
It's so interesting to see all the hair genes at work in this thread! Genetic inheritance is such an interesting subject :)
My naturally kinky-curly hair comes from my father, and it is a bit frizzy from my mother's curls as well...
But my auburn color comes from my mother! She once had long, huge medium-auburn curls just past her waist when I was younger.
That's probably where part of my desire for long hair comes from... hers was so beautiful! :o