PDA

View Full Version : Pretty sure I just made a huge mistake

Amahaitz
January 16th, 2015, 11:31 AM
I cut bangs. This was not an impulse cut. For months and months I have kept looking at my face in the mirror and disliking how huge/high and lined my forehead my forehead is and thinking I should get bangs again (I had them pretty much my whole life). I have waited two weeks many many times now, and the only reason I kept waiting was reluctance to go to a salon and fear that I would screw it up if I did it myself. So I did it, and now I feel sick. I don't know how to cut hair in the first place. Should I go to a salon and get it fixed? Should I just leave it alone? Does it look as weird as I think it does? I think I might like it more if I put lighter streaks in the bangs.

Amahaitz
January 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry about the gigantic pic! It's even more horrifying that way.

Nadine <3
January 16th, 2015, 11:34 AM
They look good to me! What about them makes you think they look weird? I like them!

DreamSheep
January 16th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I actually think it looks alright - but if it isn't the fringe style you were after, you could visit a hairdresser and state that you only want a fringe and for the rest of your length to stay the same (before surprise layers appear).

Do you know what sort of fringe style particularly you want?

Johannah
January 16th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I like them on you, actually.

Stormynights
January 16th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I don't think they look like a mistake. Looks good to me.

Stiria
January 16th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Looks good to me too :)

Amahaitz
January 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Thank you everyone! What I was trying to do was blunt bangs that weren't too thick. Maybe it just looks weird to me because I haven't had them for so long. And last time I did, they were not grey.

embee
January 16th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I think they look ok. (I also have a huge forehead and have often had bangs.)

I would *not* go to a salon - heaven knows what they'd do "to help". :(

I would wait a good while before I did anything else, like lightening them. Just leave it be for a bit... a few weeks!

If you continue to be sad with them, then grow them back out.

Good points: They're long.
They're sideswept.
They're not thick and blunt all the way accross like mine always were.

You're going to have one very short layer for a good while. Eventually you'll be able to get it into an updo and it will begin to disappear. :)

Scissors are dangerous.

chen bao jun
January 16th, 2015, 12:18 PM
It looks very nice. You probably just are not used to the change. They look long enough to pin back, anyway.

RapunzelKat
January 16th, 2015, 12:21 PM
They look just fine to me, I think they suite your face nicely. :) However, if you're unhappy with the way they're laying, maybe try blow-drying them with a round brush? That's how I styled mine when I had them - the curled shape gives them some lift so they sit higher.

Loribelle
January 16th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Ok, first off, Amahaitz, I like the bangs on you. Second, I think they could be a TAD shorter. They look like they're in your eyes a little ;) I wouldn't lighten them. That's just my opinion, but I think it might end up too light. Here's how I do my bangs, and it works really well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkWlCUtJhs
I vote that you keep 'em. They look good on you! :)

GoblinTart
January 16th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Ok, first off, Amahaitz, I like the bangs on you. Second, I think they could be a TAD shorter. They look like they're in your eyes a little ;) I wouldn't lighten them. That's just my opinion, but I think it might end up too light. Here's how I do my bangs, and it works really well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkWlCUtJhs
I vote that you keep 'em. They look good on you! :)

I love Sam Rossi! I used his videos to give myself bangs and I'm happy with the result!

Back to OP, Try different ways of styling your bangs and see if it makes any difference first. I like them on you!

arelrios
January 16th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Personally, I love how they look on you... wait a bit and get used to the look... if you are still unhappy, try different way of styling, cutting a little more, etc.

Bill D.
January 16th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I think they look great as they are! They could go a little shorter for the sake of convenience (that is, out of the eyes) but that's really a matter of personal preference. The ends of the bangs are very nicely cut, producing a pleasing effect.

Bill D.

Stiria
January 16th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Not Sam!!:scared:

Someone posted a link to one of his videos a while back. The things he was doing to that poor girls hair... Terrible, terrible tings! Once seen it can't be unseen. My hair had nightmares for weeks! He must have used an entire can of hairspray and a bazillion bobby pins, but thats not the worst.. It's so terrible I have to whisper... He backcombed her hair with a texture iron... And then he said, and I kid you not, "all I'm doing is going agaist the cuticle"
:couch:

The bangs video looks good though. It looks like it's really easy to do. Now I want to experiment..

lapushka
January 16th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Well, at least they're thin enough so you can easily pin them back and grow them back out - if you're not happy with them. They don't look particularly bad to me. :shrug:

GoblinTart
January 16th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Not Sam!!:scared:

Someone posted a link to one of his videos a while back. The things he was doing to that poor girls hair... Terrible, terrible tings! Once seen it can't be unseen. My hair had nightmares for weeks! He must have used an entire can of hairspray and a bazillion bobby pins, but thats not the worst.. It's so terrible I have to whisper... He backcombed her hair with a texture iron... And then he said, and I kid you not, "all I'm doing is going agaist the cuticle"
:couch:

The bangs video looks good though. It looks like it's really easy to do. Now I want to experiment..

Oh, I will admit some of his tutorials are cringey for us longhairs! But his basic haircutting vids are great. Except one bangs tutorial with i think it's a student of his? Ugh, no. His basic stuff is great. But he is a stylist for models and whatnot, so he has to keep up with all the crazy fads and teaches how to do all the trendy stuff as well as the basics.

Robot Ninja
January 16th, 2015, 01:14 PM
They look good. They probably look weird to you because you're not used to seeing yourself with bangs. What would you have a salon fix? If the ends are uneven (can't tell with the way you have them styled) you could still trim them 1/4" or so and they would still be past your eyebrows. I think the color looks fine the way it is, no need for lighter streaks.

curiouskitty
January 16th, 2015, 01:26 PM
I'm not even saying this just to make you feel better: you look beautiful with bangs. it really draws the attention to your sparkly blue eyes! I love it! :inlove:

Undomiel
January 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I think you look great with your bangs. Side swept bangs are probably my favourite. They look cute and flirty. :)

longNred
January 16th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I did this recently too! but I had a friend do it (who is an actual stylist). and even SHE was nervous about it! and we were both a little unsure afterwards. we agreed on a long side fringe, that can still be tucked behind my ear. I can blend it in if I want, get it into a braid or leave it out, and it's long enough to twist and tuck behind my ear, which gives it a nice gentle curl, no styling needed.

I like the ones you did, and they'll grow in no time! I wouldn't try to "fix" anything. I don't think there's anything to "fix". I bet they'll look super cute pinned too!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 16th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I think they look great on you and I'm unsure what you don't like about them. Is it that they are grey? They enhance your eye colour beautifully. I really like them. :)

squirrrel
January 16th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Looks lovely to me too. :)

I'm guessing it's mostly just the shock and not being used to it.. Maybe it will grow on you - if not, you will be able to grow it out before too long... Sorry!

mrs_coffee
January 16th, 2015, 01:51 PM
They look nice, and if you decide you don't like them, they grow out. I've hacked into my own hair to cut bangs and layers and what-have-you too many times to count. That's one thing I love about hair - it grows back. :)

ooglipoo
January 16th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I like them! :flower:

arr
January 16th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I think you look great with the bangs. I too would cut them a little shorter so they aren't in your eyes. I like to keep my bangs between my eyebrows and eyelashes. I think you are just in shock-it's amazing how much bangs can change how you look. Oh and also, don't go to the salon, they will undoubtedly cut them too short. Do it yourself, take off a tiny bit and check them, then keep taking off a tiny bit until you are satisfied. Err on the side of too long.

georgia_peach
January 16th, 2015, 02:51 PM
They look just fine. I'm quoting embee at this point because I think she gave excellent advice. *Fixing* what doesn't need fixing could lead to a disaster.
I think they look ok. (I also have a huge forehead and have often had bangs.)

I would *not* go to a salon - heaven knows what they'd do "to help". :(

I would wait a good while before I did anything else, like lightening them. Just leave it be for a bit... a few weeks!

If you continue to be sad with them, then grow them back out.

Good points: They're long.
They're sideswept.
They're not thick and blunt all the way accross like mine always were.

You're going to have one very short layer for a good while. Eventually you'll be able to get it into an updo and it will begin to disappear. :)

Scissors are dangerous.

Stray_mind
January 16th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I also think they look good. :) Makes your face somehow softer looking. Don't do anything to them.

Belle Paix
January 16th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I think they look cute!!

Five of Five
January 16th, 2015, 04:41 PM
They really draw attention to your beautiful eyes!

I think you suit the bangs you have now, but I think you could cut more in if you like. It's really nice having bangs as a longhair, as you can change them up as much as you like guilt-free - they grow out quickly!

maborosi
January 16th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Huh? I think they look really really cute- I mean that 100%. I think that they work well for you and compliment your face.

But I know how you feel. I cut in blunt bangs for the first time in a while and the shock made me feel like I meade a terrible mistake- but I really like them after letting them...grow on me. (haha)

Kitten1030
January 16th, 2015, 05:11 PM
I really like them on you but I feel your pain every time I cut bangs I regret it. I always think I'm gonna look like Zooey Deshanel, (whatever her last name is) but I always look like a frumpy soccer mom. No offense to soccer moms! I sit squarely on the fence now with chin length bangs. They blend in when my hair is down, which is never but I have the option, or I can pull them back into my updos. Try growing them out a little. In the mean time I love those teeny tiny claw clips to hold my bangs back. They make clear ones so you would barely see them in your hair. Anyway I think they look great you might just have to live in them a little.

yogagirl
January 16th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Just adding another voice to the choir: I think you did great!

I hope you will grow to like it. Sometimes it just takes a couple of days... If you don't end up liking it, at least it won't take a long time to grow it out, because kept it on the longer side.

yogagirl
January 16th, 2015, 05:15 PM
I really like them on you but I feel your pain every time I cut bangs I regret it. I always think I'm gonna look like Zooey Deshanel, (whatever her last name is) but I always look like a frumpy soccer mom. No offense to soccer moms! I sit squarely on the fence now with chin length bangs. They blend in when my hair is down, which is never but I have the option, or I can pull them back into my updos. Try growing them out a little. In the mean time I love those teeny tiny claw clips to hold my bangs back. They make clear ones so you would barely see them in your hair. Anyway I think they look great you might just have to live in them a little.
Aw man, this hit home :D I also think it will turn me into Zooey.... I WISH! is all I'm gonna say... Totally have a girl crush on her :)

Elly May
January 16th, 2015, 05:40 PM
I like your bangs! I would give them a chance and maybe play around with them/tweak them a little with the help of some good tutorials IF you decide they are not exactly what you want after having them for a couple of weeks. I think they suit you nicely--you have lovely eyes!

I have bangs. I am 47 and cut them about 18 months ago. I figured it was either going to have to be Botox or Bang-tox to hide my wrinkly forehead (actually a five-head because it is so big....) When I first cut them it was a few days of panic--WHAT have I done?????!!!!!--but then I loved them. I hope you will be happy with yours, but if not, just start growing again. Keep us posted.

Blessings! :)

Atira
January 16th, 2015, 08:12 PM
They look lovely and the color is gorgeous, don't touch it! It looks great with your skin tone. And honestly, I think you have one of the prettiest faces I've seen on LHC.

Kome
January 16th, 2015, 08:34 PM
I think it looks fine. You can use www.youtube.com to look up pretty much anything, including how to cut your bangs. Watch a bunch of videos before you try it IF you're going to do it yourself. Otherwise a salon might be better for you. I just don't trust salons personally.

spidermom
January 16th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Looks pretty cute to me. If I want bangs trimmed and nothing else, I separate out the bangs and braid the rest of my hair securely.

dancingrain91
January 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Torrin has a video for cutting bangs that could help.

Majorane
January 16th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Clicked the thread. Saw the photo. Looked for something off. Saw a smiling pretty person. Read the thread. Checked the photo again. Couldn't see anything weird, strange or odd about your bangs? They look really nice on you? Seriously, what could be wrong about them? They suit you.... well only if you want them to, but you look perfecty nice in bangs :flower:

Angela_Rose
January 17th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Horrifying, schmorrifying. One, you're wicked pretty; two, I love the bangs!!

vega
January 17th, 2015, 03:07 AM
If you don't like em you could to to Salon to correct, looks ok though

BrightEyes
January 17th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Your bangs look great!! They compliment your face very well. Personally, I like to blow dry mine with a round brush to turn them under a bit and give them movement. I've found that styling my bangs this way (only my bangs) really makes a big difference in my overall look.

pixldust
January 17th, 2015, 09:23 AM
They look good, I really can't see anything 'off' about them. When I read the thread title I was expecting some House of Horrors wonky botch job but they're not. Obviously, if you've changed your mind about having a fringe, that's different. But if your concerns are about how you've cut them, you really have nothing to worry about.

Amahaitz
January 19th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I hope you can see the picture! This is today.

Here are my thoughts about the bangs after three days with them...

Now that I'm more used to them, they don't look foreign anymore--in fact I look more like "me" to myself than I did without bangs. I guess all those years of having them had an impact.

I really like that they cover some of my forehead. I feel like they make my face look more proportionate. My first thought looking in the mirror is no longer "Good God I have got to cut bangs to cover this vast expanse of horror." So that's nice. :)

I don't like that I will definitely have to wash my hair, or at least the bangs, every day. They looked really greasy and wonky on Saturday when I didn't.

I am still not sure about the length/how I cut them. Yesterday when I didn't blow them dry, the wave in my hair made them (I thought) a bit too short. But blown dry, I think they're a bit too long. I'm also not sure I cut them right. At the very least I need to not use kitchen scissors next time. :) I don't think they will look right if I part my hair any other way than on the left.

Overall, I am glad I cut them and think I will keep them. I think I got very lucky that they didn't turn out freaky. More than anything I'm glad I finally did something instead of just continuing to agonize about it!

cat11
January 19th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I think they look fine!! I would cut them a little shorter so they arent in your eyes though. They look too long to me :)

Also, when I had bangs they would get greasy quickly, like you said. I would just lean over and wash them seperate in the sink and use a soft t shirt to dry them real quick.

I think you sound like you are very hard on yourself. What "huge expanse of forehead" are you talking about? Your face looks fine and not un-porportionate at all.

Robot Ninja
January 19th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I am still not sure about the length/how I cut them. Yesterday when I didn't blow them dry, the wave in my hair made them (I thought) a bit too short. But blown dry, I think they're a bit too long. I'm also not sure I cut them right. At the very least I need to not use kitchen scissors next time. :) I don't think they will look right if I part my hair any other way than on the left.

They look to be a good length in that picture. Yeah, you really shouldn't use kitchen scissors. That will be very bad if you decide to grow them out.

Do you have a cowlick at your part? I have one, which made my bangs really wonky when I had them. It doesn't matter which way you part the rest of your hair though, you can still style the bangs swept to the right.

You have a gorgeous smile, by the way.

summergreen
January 19th, 2015, 03:23 PM
They look fine :) when I trim my face framing bits, about 1 in every 3 times I think I've messed up but a few days later they look ok - I think it takes time for fringes etc to settle into a shape after cutting. Hopefully you'll feel even happier with them in a couple of weeks!