PDA

View Full Version : How damaging are styling products?

stachelbeere
January 15th, 2015, 12:13 PM
My hair is naturally straight, sleek and silky and doesn't hold curls at all :/

So I did some no-heat curls today and I sprayed them with sea salt spray (label m sea salt spray - the ingredient list is quiet interesting, it contains proteins!) to alter my texture a bit, get some beach-y waves. I really enjoyed the results - I got lots of volume. But my hair now feels a bit sticky and coarse. I detangled and brushed it and it feels kind of dry and as if there was a film around each hair.

Are styling products damaging? If yes, what would the potential damage be in the long run? Mechanical damage or do products dry the hair out?
I really liked the visual results of the sea salt spray but I'd rather not damage my hair...

What are your thoughts?

Panth
January 15th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Salt-based products can be very drying, depending on the salt concentration. If the product is making your hair sticky, you may find additional tangles and/or stuck-together hairs and may cause some damage when detangling.

However, the end result is likely to be very dependent upon your hair, the precise product(s), how often you use them, whether you comb or wash them out, etc. You're probably just best monitoring how your hair looks/feels and going from there.

Majorane
January 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Styling products kill. Don't use them! They will cause baldness, glue-ear, necrosis of the elbow and severe allergies to goldfish.

Okay no seriously, salt can be drying. Glue like stuffs, like gel and spray can damage hairs because they are glued together and can get a flaked cuticle when pried loose. (I think Nightshade has an article about that in her siggy.) Dry shampoos give a lot of friction, and parfume in products is also ...parfum. Buuuuut. A lot of the sticky feel your hair feels now, is probably because all the spray is still in your hair and thus, you have "dirty" hair. I'm probably going against LHC wisdom with this, but I don't think occasional use of styling products will do a lot of damage. (...compared to what life in general does to hair) My hair is very fragile, but I never noticed much damage occurring from products. Of course, I could have missed it and I'm N=1 but yeah.

I have no scientific sources to back up this ^^ by the way, but it's what I live by. :)

velorutionista
January 15th, 2015, 01:21 PM
^^I agree...I like salt spray, actually! I just know when I use it, I can't be running my hands through my hair as often as if it were un-shellacked since the stickiness of the spray and the extra texture would probably contribute to more tangles than usual and a few more snapped hairs if I did that. Once I wash it out, my hair is back to normal. If I use it a lot over time, my hair does get drier, but a deep conditioning treatment takes care of that problem.

I think styling products are a play-it-by-ear sort of thing...pay attention to how your hair's doing while you use them, and you'll be fine!

Robot Ninja
January 15th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Brushing out styling products is definitely damaging, since you're prying apart hairs that are stuck together. You have to wash them out first. A lot of styling products have alcohol in them too, which is drying.

RapunzelKat
January 15th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Styling products kill. Don't use them! They will cause baldness, glue-ear, necrosis of the elbow and severe allergies to goldfish.

Okay no seriously, salt can be drying. Glue like stuffs, like gel and spray can damage hairs because they are glued together and can get a flaked cuticle when pried loose. (I think Nightshade has an article about that in her siggy.) Dry shampoos give a lot of friction, and parfume in products is also ...parfum. Buuuuut. A lot of the sticky feel your hair feels now, is probably because all the spray is still in your hair and thus, you have "dirty" hair. I'm probably going against LHC wisdom with this, but I don't think occasional use of styling products will do a lot of damage. (...compared to what life in general does to hair) My hair is very fragile, but I never noticed much damage occurring from products. Of course, I could have missed it and I'm N=1 but yeah.

I have no scientific sources to back up this ^^ by the way, but it's what I live by. :)

:spitting: :rollin:

Stachelbeere, I occasionally use heavy-duty hairspray. I like to avoid using a brush until after I've washed it out, and I generally like to wash my hair the next day, but I've never noticed any damage.

Definitely watch out for dryness, but I personally think occasional use of that kind of thing is fine. :)

Carolyn
January 15th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I would say use them sparingly for special occasions and take care in washing them out. Salt and alcohol both are drying but using them once in a while for a fun style shouldn't be a hair killer. And BTW I would kill for straight hair like yours.

TrapperCreekD
January 15th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I don't really use conventional styling products but I think if you're aware of the individual effects then they're definitely okay for moderate use. Salt and alcohol (non-conditioning ones) can be quite drying, especially with continual use, but I think a good deep condition would go a long way in negating the effects. I would say: when in doubt, wash it out. A few extra washes won't be harmful, whereas trying to brush/detangle product-y hair can create a lot of unnecessary damage.

How does your hair feel about coconut oil? You can make your own salt spray with coconut oil to be more conditioning, plus you know how much salt was used. :)

stachelbeere
January 15th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the super helpful replies, I learned something new from each :) I guess I could be applying styling products on 2nd and 3rd day hair and then wash it [and do a SMT afterwards]... but I always oil my hair the night before. Will the coconut goodness be able to penetrate through the layer of styling product? I guess I'll find out... I guess that depends on the ingredients. And do you recommend shampooing the length as well in that case or will squeezing the shampoo foam from the roots down the lengths be enough?

The idea of not brushing the hair out before washing it is really good! I shall do that [and ignore the sheds in the shower...]

Majorane until I got to the 'goldfish part' I felt my heart sinking and I was getting sad ;)

Carolyn thank you :blossom: but with 1c hair and me being a 1b we should have pretty similar hair :)

TrapperCreekD my hair loves coconut oil so I'm intrigued about the salt spray recipe! Could you pass it on? :)

lapushka
January 15th, 2015, 04:17 PM
I guess it depends on the styling products you use and how much you use. I use the LOC method, which means a leave-in, a serum and gel goes into my hair, but it's such a minute amount of each that I don't see damage even at TBL+. YMMV. A sea-salt spray can be made at home, and would be much better than anything commercial, IMMHO.

TrapperCreekD
January 15th, 2015, 05:47 PM
*snip* but I always oil my hair the night before. Will the coconut goodness be able to penetrate through the layer of styling product? I guess I'll find out... I guess that depends on the ingredients. And do you recommend shampooing the length as well in that case or will squeezing the shampoo foam from the roots down the lengths be enough?

TrapperCreekD my hair loves coconut oil so I'm intrigued about the salt spray recipe! Could you pass it on? :)

There's a zillion variations on pinterest, but this one looks good (http://blog.modcloth.com/2014/05/13/diy-surf-spray/). Aloe or flax would probably work pretty well if you didn't want to use regular gel.

I don't know if it would penetrate or not. I *do* shampoo my oiled length, but if you have a day you don't have to be super presentable, try both ways. Also, a lot of people have success with using conditioner to wash out the oil.

Majorane
January 16th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Will the coconut goodness be able to penetrate through the layer of styling product? I think so? Oil is usually pretty good in removing a lot of beauty products, it wil leave a greasy film (DUH) but it's usually pretty good in solving and greasing up conventional products? Again, no scientific evidende to back this idea up!

And do you recommend shampooing the length as well in that case or will squeezing the shampoo foam from the roots down the lengths be enough? That last bit, think : Those hairsprays are all made to rinse out easily, so they are easier to use. Easiness is a big important thing in commercial hair stuffs. And on anecdotal evidence, I never met a haispray that wasn't easily washed out. If I walk through the rain, my hairspray dissolves and poofs! into nothingness even, and that is very much unwanted. The stuff usually is water soluabe, so I'd say be easy on shampooing your length. tart with the mild washes first, you'll notice soon enough if it works or not :)

Majorane until I got to the 'goldfish part' I felt my heart sinking and I was getting sad ;) Mhaha! Sorry!

Gertrude
January 16th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Nothing to add but my experience that every hairspray I or hairdressers have ever sprayed on my hair, and often heavily, has washed out easily in standard CWC wash with mild shampoo on the scalp only.

stachelbeere
January 16th, 2015, 10:05 AM
thanks lapushka I'll review the LOC method. I never really took interest in it but I'll have a look now :)

There's a zillion variations on pinterest, but this one looks good (http://blog.modcloth.com/2014/05/13/diy-surf-spray/). Aloe or flax would probably work pretty well if you didn't want to use regular gel.

Thanks! :blossom: seems legit - I shall try. It's a great idea with the flax gel also. I know already that the coconut oil will solidify but no biggie :)

I think so? Oil is usually pretty good in removing a lot of beauty products, it wil leave a greasy film (DUH) but it's usually pretty good in solving and greasing up conventional products? Again, no scientific evidende to back this idea up!

Good point! I use oil to clean stuff. It works as a great make up remover on my face and even removes the most stubborn eye shadow primer. I'll see how it goes.

That last bit, think : Those hairsprays are all made to rinse out easily, so they are easier to use. Easiness is a big important thing in commercial hair stuffs. And on anecdotal evidence, I never met a haispray that wasn't easily washed out. If I walk through the rain, my hairspray dissolves and poofs! into nothingness even, and that is very much unwanted. The stuff usually is water soluabe, so I'd say be easy on shampooing your length. tart with the mild washes first, you'll notice soon enough if it works or not :)

Nothing to add but my experience that every hairspray I or hairdressers have ever sprayed on my hair, and often heavily, has washed out easily in standard CWC wash with mild shampoo on the scalp only.

okay - noted. Totally makes sense

Thanks guys! :blossom: