PDA

View Full Version : advice needed for first trim in a year (pic heavy)

OleanderTime
January 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Hi great minds of LHC, I turn to you for advice! I’ve been waiting to post this until it’s been exactly a year since my last trim. I am ready to get a little bit of a maintenance trim, but am pretty nervous because I love how much length I’ve gained by not cutting for a full 12 months, and I think my hair is in pretty good condition (I baby it, and S&D when necessary). I really value your opinions, thanks in advance!
:blossom:
My questions are:
(1) Do you think I need a trim? If so, what would you recommend?
(2) What do you think of my hemline? I never thought I liked “fairytale” ends, and I’m not sure that’s what I have yet, but I do really like a little texture to help bring out my waves. I think it looks pretty when down.
(3) Should I should get a bit of face-framing long layers? I think I like the face-softening look of having my hair like the very last pic below. Not really “bangs”, but a little length difference up front.
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/1_zpsac99b400.jpg http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/2_zpsb683936c.jpg http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/3_zps24654705.jpg http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/4s_zpsc368466e.jpg http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/5_zpsaebfb58d.jpg http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/6_zpsd5f66727.jpg

Madora
January 15th, 2015, 10:12 AM
OleanderTime, your hair looks great. Maybe trim half an inch. As for the face framing layers, if you're willing to put up with ends that are shorter than the rest of your hair, and thus more problematic if you're doing updos, then go for it.

Tussi
January 15th, 2015, 10:16 AM
The face framing layers looks pretty on you. If you like them and accept the challenges Madora mentioned, the go for it :)

OleanderTime
January 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
OleanderTime, your hair looks great. Maybe trim half an inch. As for the face framing layers, if you're willing to put up with ends that are shorter than the rest of your hair, and thus more problematic if you're doing updos, then go for it.

Thanks, I'll go for the smallest trim possible!

The face framing layers looks pretty on you. If you like them and accept the challenges Madora mentioned, the go for it :)

Great, I think I will do the face-framing chunks. honestly, now that they've grown out and go into my bun, i've been feeling like my updos are a bit too severe, and i could stand to hide my forehead just a bit more. ;)

Kome
January 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
I think you would look good with chin length bangs. I also think your hair looks better with fairey tale ends. If you really want to trim you could just trim off like half an inch to an inch and see if you like it better. I often feel like that even out my hemline a lot without taking too much off.

catasa
January 15th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I think your hair looks great also! And I think that the "fairytale"-like ends in the new photos looks nicer than the blunt cut in the lower picture. I agree with you, I have personally never been a fan of fairytale ends either, but if that is what you have, I think it looks nice! :) As Madora and others say, maybe a minor trim only.

I have a bit of face-framing shorter hair, still (just) long enough to be able to keep back in a low bun or pony, and I really like them. I think your photo with those face framing layers looks good also, so I say go for them! :)

almorin
January 15th, 2015, 11:11 AM
I like your hemline as is, and don't think you need a trim aesthetically. It looks a lot more elegant imo in the new photos than with the blunt cut in the second-to-last pic. I agree with those above that the face framing layers look good!

Begemot
January 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
(1) Nope, I think your hair looks just fine!
(2) Your hemline looks nice and personally I love wavy fairytale ends.
(3) Face framing bits are good option for most when you don't feel like committing to short bangs. You look really lovely in the last pic.

After 12 months your ends are looking really good so if you're not feeling like having a trim then you shouldn't. You can always trim later when you are feeling more comfortable about it.

spidermom
January 15th, 2015, 01:00 PM
In the absence of damage and extreme unevenness, I'd just grow on. I like the current hem, also the face-framing bits.

kganihanova
January 15th, 2015, 01:35 PM
How about a 1/2 inch trim like its been suggested to you before? Those always refresh my ends without losing a ton of length.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 15th, 2015, 01:38 PM
wow, I think your hair looks great just the way it is, and if you feel you need a trim, then just half an inch. Having fresh ends feels great!

lapushka
January 15th, 2015, 01:43 PM
I don't know about the FF layers, but your hemline looks just fine to me. Keep growing!

Nebulae
January 15th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Your ends look good to me, especially if it's been a year without trims!
I think the face framing looks good on you, also you're really pretty! :)

Carolyn
January 15th, 2015, 02:12 PM
I don't think your ends are very fairy taled. (sorry I know that's not a word) I'd trim less than an inch if you want to freshen things up a bit. The FF layers are a personal preference. Start small and keep them long enough to pin back in case they annoy you.

Nadine <3
January 15th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I think your hair looks great as is! If you feel you need a trim, maybe take off half an inch and continue to grow.

PS: I love the Totoro hanging behind you!

Fairlight63
January 15th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Your hair is just beautiful! I don't think that you need a trim at all.

TrapperCreekD
January 15th, 2015, 02:54 PM
(1) Do you think I need a trim? If so, what would you recommend? No, I think your ends look really nice! I know from experience that the camera can hide a lot of splits - if you're seeing split ends when you check your hem a small trim is probably in order, if not, I would just keep growing and maybe micro trim if you really want the feel of fresh ends.
(2) What do you think of my hemline? Looks good to to me. :)
(3) Should I should get a bit of face-framing long layers? They can be a hassle when not long enough to reach a ponytail/braid or stay tucked behind your ears, but I really love them when my hair is down.

DreamSheep
January 16th, 2015, 02:39 AM
(1) I wouldn't trim. I like your hem more now than when it is super trimmed - but then I don't love superdefined hemlines on wavy hair, I think it looks nicer and more natural the way they are now. I wouldn't say they are fairytale ends yet though. :) Maybe grow on for 3-6 months and then have a trim, S&Ding in between?
(2) Love your hemline right now so much <3 I'm more of a fan of U and V hemlines, and I think your soft U hemline suits you perfectly.
(3) They suit you. They can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but if you are happy to put up with that, go for it! :) And at least they will take less time to grow out than full short bangs should you get fed up of them. :)

allierat
January 16th, 2015, 02:49 AM
I love your hemline, looks very pretty to me!

FuzzyBlackWaves
January 16th, 2015, 04:27 AM
(1) Do you think I need a trim? If so, what would you recommend?

Only a tiny little maintenance one. Maybe half or quarter of an inch?

(2) What do you think of my hemline? I never thought I liked “fairytale” ends, and I’m not sure that’s what I have yet, but I do really like a little texture to help bring out my waves. I think it looks pretty when down.

It looks more like a result of your texture than actual unevenness. If you got it cut to be blunt it'd probably curl up on itself again and end up looking the same but shorter.

(3) Should I should get a bit of face-framing long layers? I think I like the face-softening look of having my hair like the very last pic below. Not really “bangs”, but a little length difference up front.

That sounds like a good idea! You have a beautiful, long thin face, and some texture around it will make your features look even prettier.

Gertrude
January 16th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I don't think you need a trim, but if you want fresh ends half an inch would be ample.

The blunt hemline in the photo really doesn't suit your hair and the wavy hemline is much better. And looks just lovely.

Your hair can take light layering, and a few face framing bits would look nice, but could be a hassle too, like Madora and others have said.

OleanderTime
January 20th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I really appreciate all of the helpful (and sweet!) comments everyone. My appointment is for next week (on the morning of my birthday!). I am planning on asking for a dusting on the hemline, and my existing face-framing pieces shortened. i will update the board after that. :) I love posting anniversary threads, so that will be a year of growth plus a short trim. thanks again, cheers!