PDA

View Full Version : What Comes After BSL...?

Wonder17
September 29th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Hello! I finally reached BSL! And now, I guess midback length is the next step, but I've no idea what midback really is. I figured it must mean the middle of the back, but that would make waist length not much different.
So, if there are any others in the same situation, come join me in my quest for long hair!

P.S.: This is a pic I took almost a month ago!;)http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk197/NorthStar_17/Image028.jpg:cheese:

Anje
September 29th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Depending on your proportions, I think waist is the next usual point. However, from the pic I'd say your waist is quite far down your torso, compared to mine (mine's about 3 inches south of BSL).

I'm not sure where midback is, either.

lora410
September 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
you come join us at BSL to Waist :D http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=284799#post284799

Arctic
September 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think and use midback length (MBL) and BSL interchangeably, I choose to use MBL as it's genderneutral.

paper
September 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I think and use midback length (MBL) and BSL interchangeably, I choose to use MBL as it's genderneutral.

I wondered too, what the difference was. Thanks Arctic, for clearing that up.

kowlrea
September 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
your hair is wonderful ... your BSL hair makes my BSL hair look like SL hair

Carolyn
September 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I define mid back as half the distance between the spot where my neck joins my shoulders and waist length. I'm extra long there at 18 3/4". So mid back on me would be 9 3/8" below base of neck or the same distance above waist. Most of my bra straps sit at about 4" above my waist. So on me BS length is quite a bit longer than mid back. It's all in the bra you wear and how it fits you. An improperly fitting bra strap will ride around arm pit length.

nisolu
September 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I am just below BSL and I was wondering the same thing. My waist is about 5 inches away. I am 5' 9". I need to buy a tape measure! LOL

wintersun99
September 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM

same here.

So, I guess after MBL/BSL it would be "not quite waist" :D

Tabitha
September 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
It seems to be a long, long wait, for me at least; even though I'm only 5'3" and quite shortwaisted. I seem to have been "almost waist" for months. I guess it didn't help that I had a trim just after my sig pic was taken in May. My waves seem to eat up length.

Radulfr
September 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
your hair is wonderful ... your BSL hair makes my BSL hair look like SL hair

Same situation with my hair. :agree: Your hair looks great! :thumbsup:

mortiziia
September 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I am just below BSL and I was wondering the same thing.

Same here!! I'm using "BSL+" because it's not waist yet, but definitely not BSL anymore either.

Radulfr
September 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM
same here.

So, I guess after MBL/BSL it would be "not quite waist" :D
I thought a good term maybe 3/4 back?

Wonder17
September 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks, guys! How long does it usually take from BSL to waist? 8-9 months?

Periwinkle
September 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks, guys! How long does it usually take from BSL to waist? 8-9 months?

I guess it totally depends on your hair's type and where you measure from and how fast it grows.

For example, you might have curly hair and measure dry and count BSL as the top of the strap and get less than average growth. That would take you quite a while to reach waist.

If you have straight hair, measure wet/taught, count BSL as the bottom of the strap and get more than average growth, you'll be there very quickly.

Personally, I define BSL as the bottom of the strap, and I'm just beyond that, so I'm a lot further than I was at the top of the strap.

Flaxen
September 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
What Comes After BSL...?
Lots of stuff (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27422). :misskim:

snowbear
September 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I coined the term "midback abyss" while I was between BSL and Waist--you might find it a useful description, too.

anna1850
September 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I've always thought of mid-back as half-way between BSL and waist. I don't think BSL should be the same as MBL as BSL is definitely not the middle of the back (at least not on most people), it's too high up. I think referring to BSL as 'bottom of shoulderblades line' is fine if you want to make it gender neutral, although BSL is a bit lower than the shoulder blades but it is way too high up to be mid-back I think. I might be alone on this though ;)

BSL to waist took me a little less than a year as it's a 5" difference for me. Very frustrating for me as my hair always looked "too long" when it was an inch or 2 past BSL and it didn't look right again until I was close to waist. Also, I've had BSL plenty of times before so it's only feeling long now it's got to waist. So I think for most people it can take up to a year or longer if you have trims, although it can vary hugely depending on where your waist is/what bra you wear etc.

Oskimosa
October 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
:cheese: Yaaay for reaching bsl! Congrats! :) Wish I were there at BSL with you, but time... patience... *checks measuring tape again*

sky
October 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
I guess either mid-back or waist?

Thank you for the photo.....I have been wondering just where "BSL" should hit and now I know.

I have such huge, heavy boobs that my bra strap is about 3 inches wide. Don't know if I should aim for the upper edge, the lower edge or somewhere in the middle.

:lol:

sky

Buddaphlyy
October 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
For me, since I rarely wear a bra (and even when one does, there's debate about whether BSL is the top or bottom of the band), I'm just going from APL to waistlength. So as you can imagine, I will not be having length updates for a lonnnnnggggg period of time.

WavyGirl
October 4th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I coined the term "midback abyss" while I was between BSL and Waist--you might find it a useful description, too.

This is how I use it too. It is quite handy when the trip from BSL to waist is taking forever. I've made it to waist wet and trimmed back for damage removal. I then changed my mind about what I was calling waist. I now won't use it again until I'm there dry so, for me, MBA is going to last a lot longer. I could be as much as a year if I keep maintaining here. As to what comes after BSL...

Lots of stuff (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27422). :misskim:

Flaxen beat me to it. :D

Congratulations on BSL and happy growing. :cheese: :hollie:

Robinlyn
October 4th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Your hair is so pretty! Congrats on getting to BSL. I think the next milestone is waist! Happy growing!!

MissCharizard
December 18th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I have damaged hair from a relaxer treatment that is more apparent on the last 4 inches or so. I have been afraid to use ANYTHING on my hair since, even henna. If I use henna will it really improve my hair health?

I am about to order some if it would!

PrincessBob
December 18th, 2010, 03:43 AM
BSL goes to the mid-back abyss until it reaches your waist which many people think of as their natural waist (Which I actually think of as belly button if the line from the hair were projected through my torso to the front.)

ericthegreat
December 18th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Ahh, the classic mid-back abyss. Its true, the difference between BSL to waist length is often very great. Its not that your hair doesn't continue to grow longer, but if often SEEMS like you hair isn't growing any longer because there is no distinctive body part that you can use as a reference point to show that your hair is indeed getting longer.

I just call it the midback blues or the more popular midback abyss, since length always appears to stall there.

luxepiggy
December 18th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Ahh, the classic mid-back abyss. Its true, the difference between BSL to waist length is often very great. Its not that your hair doesn't continue to grow longer, but if often SEEMS like you hair isn't growing any longer because there is no distinctive body part that you can use as a reference point to show that your hair is indeed getting longer.

I just call it the midback blues or the more popular midback abyss, since length always appears to stall there.

For once in my life, I discover it's good to be ridiculously short-waisted (^(oo)^)v

LissaJane
December 18th, 2010, 04:21 AM
whoops, too many tabs open... posted in the wrong thread :o

PrincessBob
December 18th, 2010, 04:36 AM
whoops, too many tabs open... posted in the wrong thread :o
I find myself doing this more and me lately, LissaJane. I simply attribute this to my short term memory problems ^.^

</hijack>

LissaJane
December 18th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I find myself doing this more and me lately, LissaJane. I simply attribute this to my short term memory problems ^.^

</hijack>

Haha glad to know I'm not the only one :p I blame my computer for crashing, thus me having to post on one I'm not all that familiar with. Anything to avoid admitting a mistake!

And in keeping things on topic: Congrats on reaching BSL! I too am at this length... I was so close to waist, but my ends were damaged pretty heavy so I had to chop off a pretty significant amount. My hair thanks me, though, it's looking much better.