PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Straighten Their Hair? (Heat-Free)

Springs10808
January 14th, 2015, 09:49 PM
So I've noticed that I don't see a lot of people talking about heat- and chemical-free straightening on here, but I know it exists and I'm sure some people do it. I was hoping that maybe those of you that do could share your routines and what works for you.

I'm working on developing my routine right now. My natural hair is 3a/3b, and I've been able to get it down as far as a 2a or so. I WCC with L'Oreal Eversleek sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner, then put in L'Oreal Eversleek's leave-in cream and some argan oil. The extra conditioning, leave-in, and oil tend to get rid of my copious amounts of natural frizz, which in itself is a miracle. Then I put it up in a doobie wrap and leave it overnight. When I take it out, it usually takes a half-hour or so to settle in (it looks a little weird at first from the hairs sitting in the wrong direction all night and whatnot), and I often put a little more argan oil in to keep it flat. That's the best I've been able to figure out so far, but I'd really like to make it straighter (maybe 1c would be possible?). I also notice that, being naturally curly, it tends to clump up (probably because those clumps would normally form curls). It's also kind of stiff compared to naturally straight hair (instead of falling and flowing nicely, it tends to hold shapes like it's made out of pipe-cleaners or something). I don't know if there's anything I can do to rectify these problems or make it any straighter, but I figured that if anyone has perfected this, they would be on LHC.

So what do you guys do?

Rebecka
January 14th, 2015, 10:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RO-d1Z9Hs

(not my video hehe)

I'm not as curly as you, but this is the best thing for me so far. I had done it on my profile picture and got some waves, but not i've learned to do it better now. Really looks straightened now, except sometimes the ends become like a little hook. And also i don't know your hair length, i think this method might be frustrating with long hair, haha :p
A tips is to try out to wrap the hair in both directions, i normally change the parting to the right side though i normally have it on the left, it makes my layers straighter :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15249&d=1421300603

Just woke up so excuse my pyamas :p

Knifegill
January 15th, 2015, 12:55 AM
I am also 2b. All I have to do is keep it straight as it dries (aka towel wrap) or I can use a little too much coconut oil and a BBB to get it glossy straight with a flip at the end.

CurlyCap
January 15th, 2015, 02:34 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85483

Starts with a specific method, but then becomes a more general discussion about heatless straightening.

Springs10808
January 15th, 2015, 11:12 AM
@Rebecka - That's what I mean when I say I do a doobie wrap. It definitely does a lot for me (3a/3b to 2a) but I was just wondering if there was anything I can do to refine it more. Maybe it'll get better as I get more used to doing it. Also, do you cover it when you're done, like the girl in the video does with the hair net? I don't, and was wondering if that would make any difference.

proo
January 15th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I wrap when dry or just ever-so-slightly damp,
do a tight lace rope around the perimeter, only 5 or 6 turns of the rope,
then cover with a wide stretchy headband, no pins, leave in for about an hour.
IMHO the problem with wrapping is usually too much wetness in the hair-
that baby has to be bone-dry to work.

Springs10808
January 15th, 2015, 08:09 PM
That's interesting. I thought the whole point was that it dried from being wet while in that position, although I guess if it's wrapped up and never dries fully, that could be why it curls up a bit.