PDA

View Full Version : Ways to darken hair naturally?

charliefarlie
January 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Does anybody have any experience darkening their hair naturally? What did you use? :confused:

After years of colouring my hair pretty much any and every colour under the sun I finally have healthy, happy hair that is growing rapidly.. so the last thing I want to do is use any harsh chemicals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :o

DreamSheep
January 14th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Not used any myself - but methods that I've read about on the forums include:

- Walnut rinses
- Coffee rinses
- Indigo

:)

meteor
January 14th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Darkening naturally is pretty easy, at least temporarily. Just choose your shade! :)

Check out this detailed article and discussion on herbs/plants to dye hair by Nightshade: Hair Coloring with Herbs, Plants & Other Natural Ingredients: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646

Oh, and there are lots of safe, non-damaging, temporary veggie dyes like Manic Panic and Directions. :)

charliefarlie
January 14th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Thank you both! I thought that there must be an article somewhere for this, but my internet connection is so awful where I am searching on here is impossible!
Thank you once again! :o

charliefarlie
January 14th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Thank you both! I thought that there must be an article somewhere for this, but my internet connection is so awful where I am searching on here is impossible!
Thank you once again! :o

luvlonghair75
January 14th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I've heard castor oil helps darken hair naturally, encouraging new growth.

Enrapture
January 14th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I've been trying to find out ways to darken my hair, but I think that I will try black walnut hulls. I can't get it anywhere in my country, so I will order it in the near future.
By the way, after looking at the Nightshade's post I don't understand one thing. Can potatoes really help deepen brown hair? It just seems so unreal. :confused:

Begemot
January 15th, 2015, 02:52 AM
After I started using rosemary (oil and dried leaves) on my scalp I got many people asking if I have dyed my hair and a friend said it does look darker than usual. I didn't know this before but rosemary is used to dye hair but it was said that the effect is light unless you mix herbs together, like rosemary and sage.
I'm not sure if this is permanent but I don't actually mind. My roots look really shiny since the darker color reflects light better.

charliefarlie
January 17th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Very glad to hear that castor oil and rosemary can help! I have been doing castor & coconut oil with rosemary/lavender/ylang ylang eo treatments very recently and do this at least twice a week.
Thanks everybody! :)

Swan Maiden
January 17th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Castor oil does not actually darken hair, it helps hair retain moisture so it might appear darker temporarily ( like having wet hair)

Wildcat Diva
January 17th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I tried walnut hulls unsuccessfully and with a mess. I also heard they are mildly toxic.