PDA

View Full Version : Curly cut help

BeepBooop
January 12th, 2015, 04:50 PM
I've been thinking about trimming my hair. The problem is, there are differing opinions on how to self trim curly hair. Some say wet and others say dry. It's confusing. I've never cut my own hair before and, quite frankly, I'm afraid I'll mess it up. There doesn't seem to be anyone to trim my hair for me. I have a special event coming up and would like to wear my hair down. Should I just visit a curly-trained hair dresser? I hear getting layers is recommended for curlies, but I normally wear my hair up, in braids, and occasionally in a ponytail. Would the styles be any different with layers? And would my hair look odd with no products?

CurlyCap
January 12th, 2015, 06:49 PM
What are you hoping to get out of a trim? Do you have tired ends? Do you want more shape? Let us know and it might guide the advice you get. I have some ideas but want to know your goals first.

Welcome to LHC!

BeepBooop
January 12th, 2015, 08:02 PM
What are you hoping to get out of a trim? Do you have tired ends? Do you want more shape? Let us know and it might guide the advice you get. I have some ideas but want to know your goals first.

Welcome to LHC!

I was hoping to even out my ends and cut out some damage. I think I would like some shape, but I'm unsure about it. I am open to all ideas, so feel free to share:)

Sharysa
January 12th, 2015, 08:26 PM
In generally, really curly hair should be cut dry because the length and shape differs so much when wet. As for cuts, are you trying to just even up your hemline, or do you want to try a U/V-shaped hem?

BeepBooop
January 12th, 2015, 08:45 PM
In generally, really curly hair should be cut dry because the length and shape differs so much when wet. As for cuts, are you trying to just even up your hemline, or do you want to try a U/V-shaped hem?

I haven't been able to find a guide on trimming curly hair that don't require you to have layers. I'm thinking of getting a more U shaped hemline because my ends are all over the place, but nothing is definite yet.

CurlyCap
January 12th, 2015, 11:01 PM
I recommend curl by curl trimming. Someone JUST asked for links to youtube tutorials, so let me see if I can find the links.

Here we go:
My favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEbKM-azac

Lapushka posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWuQ7lJrPb4

In my experience, if you are just trimming off a certain amount of length, it doesn't matter whether you cut wet or dry. The length is the same either way, as long as you understand that a curl equals a longer distance when stretched out. So, if you want an inch off, cut an INCH off, not an inch of curl. I think this is much easier to do curl by curl, but things can get confusing when you cut en block like they do at most salons.

However, if you want to shape, cut it dry. Then your curl pattern will be set and you can see where you have the most bulk and cut appropriately. This is a LOT harder to do, and to be honest, I haven't tried it since my hair was shoulder length because I don't want to grow out botched layers. Looser curls like 3a can pretty much straighten their hair with overnight bunning and use Feye's method, but my hair (3b/3c) would never acquiesce to that. I have cut the random curl on my hair to lie where I want it (I have a clump that acts like a curly cowlick), but one or two curls doesn't matter much to me.

Hope that helps.

BeepBooop
January 12th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Lapushka posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWuQ7lJrPb4

That video was extremely helpful, it was very informative. Thank you so much. I'll try that method; however, I am considering cutting a more U shaped hemline, do you know how I would go about doing that?

Upside Down
January 13th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Maybe check out Feye's self trim tutorial and cut into a U and follow by curl by curl? This is kind of my plan, when I gather the courage and time.

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com

Hotrox
January 13th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Maybe check out Feye's self trim tutorial and cut into a U and follow by curl rl by curl? This is kind of my plan, when I gather the courage and time.

This is what I do. Feye's self trim method on wet hair so the ends are even and then a few curl by curl cuts from my layers on dry and styled hair. Best of both!

BeepBooop
January 13th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Maybe check out Feye's self trim tutorial and cut into a U and follow by curl by curl? This is kind of my plan, when I gather the courage and time.

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com

This is what I do. Feye's self trim method on wet hair so the ends are even and then a few curl by curl cuts from my layers on dry and styled hair. Best of both!

I think I'll try Feye's method on dry hair and cut strand by strand. When would I add layers? From what I can gather, pulling part of the hair in front of the head and trimming straight across is the preferred method.

Sharysa
January 13th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I use Feye's method on dry hair due to my waves, and it's fantastic!

jeanniet
January 13th, 2015, 05:58 PM
When I did a curly cut on myself (to fix a botched "curly cut" that wasn't), I first did Feye's on dry hair, then added light layers with the compact cut method (ponytail on crown of head), then did some curl-by-curl cutting. It was much better than before, but TBH nowhere near as good as a curly cut from someone who knows what they're doing. I have a good stylist now, so don't really do my own cutting unless there's a curl here or there that's acting weird all of a sudden. When I did my own cut, I did bit by bit over a couple of days to get the look I was looking for.

BeepBooop
January 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM
When I did a curly cut on myself (to fix a botched "curly cut" that wasn't), I first did Feye's on dry hair, then added light layers with the compact cut method (ponytail on crown of head), then did some curl-by-curl cutting. It was much better than before, but TBH nowhere near as good as a curly cut from someone who knows what they're doing. I have a good stylist now, so don't really do my own cutting unless there's a curl here or there that's acting weird all of a sudden. When I did my own cut, I did bit by bit over a couple of days to get the look I was looking for.

Do you have any photos? I'm curious to see how it turned out.

jeanniet
January 13th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I don't, sorry! What I was trying to fix was lack of spring and lift, if you understand what I mean. I had a lot of flatness and poof, but not much pop to the curls. I have thick, fine hair and it needs judicious layering to get crown lift. So I cut curls to improve that, kind of by trial and error. I'm sure it was quite uneven, but doesn't really show in my hair. If you ever straighten, you do want to be more careful.

BeepBooop
January 14th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Do I have to part my hair exactly down the middle? Doing so separates some of my curls.