PDA

View Full Version : haircut from hell

Brightfeather
January 12th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I've been growing out my hair for around 5 years now, and finally bit the bullet on friday and broke the perming cycle. My natural hair is baby fine and pin straight, so it just kind of lays there when it gets long. I started perming it when I hit BSL so that it would have a little volume, and the curls were a lot of fun, but as it grew longer, the damage was adding up, and I was wearing my hair in protective styles more and more, so continuing to perm didn't make any sense. Rather than wait another 5 years to grow out all that permed hair, with such a huge difference in the two textures, I decided to do one last perm to take my non-virgin hair back to the same general straightness as my roots. I knew that this would include some significant damage to the ends (the process is harder on your hair than perming on rollers, since you spend 30 min combing the solution through your length while it is super vulnerable), and that I would still need to chop off a chunk when we were done with the perm process. When I walked into the salon, my hair was about 3" below my waist, and all one length. I had a discussion with my usual hair stylist, with pictures, regarding what I wanted to do with the cut, assuming that I'd be chopping off something in the area of 5-6 inches. THAT part of the haircut was right on target. The problem is LAYERS (cue doom music). I was very specific about what I wanted. Brought in a pic of a waistlength cut with a rounded hemline, and light layers that were, at their shortest, about 4-5" shorter than the hem. To that I added: "I'd like the layers to be longer than this, just enough to give the hemline some movement." I was very clear about the desire to get rid of damaged ends while preserving as much length as possible, and my view that the first actually serves the second goal. I THOUGHT we were on the same page.

My shortest layer is now 2" below my nape. It doesn't even reach my shoulders. I have 12+" of ends between the shortest layer and the hemline (currently 2 1/2" above my waist, about where I anticipated). It looks like it was cut with a weed whacker, ends stick out of every braid, twist, bun, and wrap that I can do at this length, and it is THIN. All of that layering, combined with the straight, fine texture, means that there just isnt' a lot of hair that makes it down to the hemline. It just looks ratty and stringy and trashy and cheap. The only solution that I can see is cutting off a huge chunk of the overall length to bring it up closer to the shortest layer, and regrowing it all again. I just want to cry.

And my family is thrilled that I'll no longer have "weird long Amish hair." No support or understanding, or even sympathy with the fact that I am obviously upset. :(

Kaelee
January 12th, 2015, 11:22 AM
:justy:

I can totally sympathize, I got the hack job from hell a few years back. Looked like a 6 year old cut it. The next hairdresser I saw actually said "Why did she DO that???" By BF at the time actually had the gall to say "well you know sometimes hairdressers know better than you do what will look good. They ARE professionals....." :justy:

Avis
January 12th, 2015, 11:44 AM
:grouphug: That's rough. Sorry your hair stylist didn't listen to you. I once went in and asked for my hair to be cut about to about my collarbone and it was that length...but only in the back. The front was about chin length. :doh: Do what you have to to feel good about it again. Hope it never happens again.

And phooey on your family. As long as you like it, what they say doesn't matter. :blossom:

Brightfeather
January 12th, 2015, 11:54 AM
this is why I posted here. You guys understand why I'm so hacked off about it (pun intended). I think the people around me don't grasp how much work it takes to "not do anything with your hair."

chen bao jun
January 12th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I am sorry. This has happened to me. Don't complain to your family, complain here. And join a lot of us in never going to hairdressers again. Sorry again l

Brightfeather
January 12th, 2015, 12:02 PM
and sometimes, they just need to respect their client's wishes. grrr

TwilightShadow
January 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Wow, that's awful, Brightfeather. I don't know if you should cut so much of your hair yet, you might regret losing all that length, even if it looks ratty. Wait at least a week, maybe cut 2-3 inches and see how that looks.

The last time I cut my hair at the hairdresser (about 3 years ago), I had it mid-back length (that's what it looks like in pictures taken about a month before) and I said I wanted a trim. I specifically asked that even my shortest layers should long enough to be pulled back into a ponytail. Of course, that didn't happen, it took a few good months before I was able to pull all the hair into a ponytail, but the shortest layers weren't even cut at the same length on both sides. There was an obvious difference of at least 5 cm between the left side and the right side. I thought it had to do with the parting, because I sometimes change it, but no matter how I tried to switch the parting, the difference remained.

hennalonghair
January 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I am sorry. This has happened to me. Don't complain to your family, complain here. And join a lot of us in never going to hairdressers again. Sorry again l

I'd like to echo Chen's words of wisdom.
Never go to a hairdresser again.
Most of them think of themselves as hair artists and unfortunately your hair is their medium.

I honestly feel your pain. Its a horrible feeling trusting someone with our crowning glory and having that trust abused.

:flower:

Brightfeather
January 12th, 2015, 01:19 PM
TwilightShadow, I can't hold off on the "correction," because of my work environment. Very formal office, the expectation is that you will be immaculately turned out. millions of ends frizzing out everywhere from my updo isn't an option. I scheduled extra time at the hairdresser so that we can cut it back in stages until we get to a point that I can work with.

TwilightShadow
January 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear that :( I hope this time the hairdresser will respect your wishes.

Brightfeather
January 12th, 2015, 01:48 PM
if she doesn't, I'm gonna be that crazy lady you'll see on YouTube :D

Aurum
January 12th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Oh no! I'm sorry; it's such a shame when you spend good time and money to end up with something you didn't want. Fear not, it will grow back, and we will be here with comfort cheese in the meantime. :gobblecheese:

Excuse me while I snicker at "weird Amish hair," that's a good one! ;)

TwilightShadow
January 12th, 2015, 01:59 PM
if she doesn't, I'm gonna be that crazy lady you'll see on YouTube :D

Hahaha, I can just imagine this.

slynr
January 12th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I am a fellow fine hair whose mother permed my hair from age 8 and I kept it like that until age 25 or so. From there my hair was always layered and highlighted/bleached to "give movement and rough up the cuticle to appear thicker". Needless to say, I ended up with absolutely trashed hair that was continually thinning and I was afraid it would be permanent. Sooo.....about 2 1/2 years ago I decided to just stop. I found LHC and started to embrace my natural hair type for the first time in my life. Stopped the processing, curling iron, hair soray, back combing and grew out the layers and I'm almost finished with the bleach ends. My hair finally is really healthy, shiny, soft, and the areas that were thinning are coming back. Should hit waist length by this summer.

Congratulations on ditching the perm! I would leave it alone for a while and regroup. You have us to commiserate with when you need it.

arr
January 12th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Im so sorry! I hate to hear these stories, it seems to happen way too often. It took me a year and 8 months to grow out/recover from the damage of my own haircut from hell. Its up to you what you want to do but i cut off the worst of it (about 4 inches) so i could grow in peace. Personally it was just too upsetting looking at it everyday in its shredded state. I realized that i would rather look at it shorter but decent rather than long but a shredded mess. Whatever you choose to do, just know that time flies by and you will get your beautiful hair back.

GlassWidow
January 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm so sorry that your hairdresser didn't clearly hear your expectations. That sucks. Are you going back to the same person when you go to have corrections? :scared:

chen bao jun
January 12th, 2015, 02:35 PM
The worst time, the hair dresser hacked me just before my wedding . Everyone (family ) also said it looked much better than my hair before, which was one length and not in style in 1983. I cried and cried. After wedding cut off to shortest layers which left me with maybe 1 1/2 inch hair. There was no LHC and I got many cuts I didn't want after that, but none so memorable. They were always supposed to be 'trims'. Kept wondering why my hair went from bra strap to APL, all those trims added up. No more. Never.

Brightfeather
January 12th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I'm so sorry that your hairdresser didn't clearly hear your expectations. That sucks. Are you going back to the same person when you go to have corrections? :scared:

Oh, HELL no! She isn't getting near my head (or my wallet) again!

yogagirl
January 12th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Brightfeather, I'm so sorry! I have had a similar disaster and it sucks so bad. At least you can be sure you'll find nothing but compassion here on LHC.

As far as cutting back more to make it office appropriate, could you maybe gather the shorter layers at the top of your head with a sleek pin, kind of like you would for a half-up style? And then make a neat bun with the length? How about bun nets so they can't get too fuzzed out?

mindwiped
January 12th, 2015, 05:40 PM
I'm so sorry about the hair'hacker' (sorry, dresser or stylist was NOT gonna work). I know I actually cried when I sat down in my current hairstylist's chair. He looked at the previous cut and gently asked if the person before intentionally cut one side shorter, or if my hair just grew that way. I started sobbing, and wailed that they'd butchered my hair...fix it. But leave as much of it as you can, because I've never wanted my hair 'that' short. So, three years later when I stated that I wanted to try something shorter, he made me wait three trims (almost a year) before he'd cut it more than a trim...and even then he made me bring pictures of what I wanted, and then left it an inch longer than my photos, just in case. This is why I'll still let him at my hair, even though I'm growing it out. He understands my fine curly/wurly hair HAS to get trims, or I lose length in breakage, but only what it requires, and then let it grow.

Something to google: snood. Funny old word for a hairnet/bun net, one that's not lunch lady, but lady in waiting. Almost hair jewelry in some cases.

chen bao jun
January 12th, 2015, 05:49 PM
I am a fellow fine hair whose mother permed my hair from age 8 and I kept it like that until age 25 or so. From there my hair was always layered and highlighted/bleached to "give movement and rough up the cuticle to appear thicker". Needless to say, I ended up with absolutely trashed hair that was continually thinning and I was afraid it would be permanent. Sooo.....about 2 1/2 years ago I decided to just stop. I found LHC and started to embrace my natural hair type for the first time in my life. Stopped the processing, curling iron, hair soray, back combing and grew out the layers and I'm almost finished with the bleach ends. My hair finally is really healthy, shiny, soft, and the areas that were thinning are coming back. Should hit waist length by this summer.

Congratulations on ditching the perm! I would leave it alone for a while and regroup. You have us to commiserate with when you need it.

Encouraging story.

RachelRose
January 12th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I feel your pain I'm so sorry . May I suggest just doing protective styles and micro trims ? You'll slowly rid yourself of the damage amd layers without starting over on length :/ I have a lot of layers too . I didn't think really hard before the cut to remember I hate layers on myself Grrr. Anyways I'm growing to waist and starting micro trims . I hate the sticky outies too. They look messy , but oh we'll I say .

Majorane
January 12th, 2015, 10:16 PM
whose mother permed my hair from age 8
Wait, what? Stop. You have 1b/F/ii, I have 1b/f/ii, we have the same sort of hair. WHY would your mother perm your hair AT AGE 8? Is that a 'thing'? Who perms an 8 year old's hair?! Isn't that dangerous, with the harsh chemicals?
My mom had no idea what to do with my fine hair, so I was doomed to a cute kiddie bob. (which, I have to admit, was easy, and while it wasn't long mermaid hair it definately looked really really good on me) I have no idea how both of us would have managed with fine, straight, damaged permed hair. Why would your mom do that? (even though I am sure she is a lovely lady)

Brightfeather: I am so sorry for you. I think most of us know the feel of being hair-butchered, it sucks so bad :( I once went to the hairdresser and said "I want to grow it long". I took off my glasses (WRONG, MISTAKE, wear your contacts to the hairdresser so you can see what they do) and afterwards she was all smiles and said "weeeel, now you can grow it long again". SO rude. I've also been to hairdressers and said "surprise me" and then they do have full autority to do crazy stuff, but not when you are so clear about what you want! How did the hairhacker respond afterwards, and what did you say? Did you even pay? Did she think it was nice? From you description it sounds horrible.

Good luck at the savior-hairdresser, may the hairforce be with you. Also, cutting your hair yourself can be done, too, it's not difficult.

LauraLongLocks
January 12th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! I have had my share of hackjobs, too. The most memorable two events were the one where I lost 4"-5" length in a "trim" of all healthy, virgin hair, and the one where the stylist "freshened up my layers" without asking, and totally butchered my hair. I had layers from chin to BSL that were the choppiest, ugliest layers ever. It looked horrid. I'm almost done growing them out.

Zebra Fish
January 13th, 2015, 01:05 AM
I am sorry that that happened to you! :grouphug:

I have very fine hair and not much of it, and a hairdresser cut it in layers with a razor, and that was exactly the opposite I asked - a minimum trim and no layers. That was 2 years ago. After that I learned selftrimming. It is veeeery spooky at the beginning, but it's quite easy. I would suggest you to learn that. I know it sounds freaky before you try it. I was the "lets do everything at the hairdressers' so you don't ruin your hair" type of girl, and actually THAT ruined my hair.

raingirl
January 13th, 2015, 07:51 AM
*hugs* I hear your pain. When growing out my henna they did an angled bob on my hair the I told them I wanted it all the same length. And it was too short to do anything for so long, I was so depressed.

One thing I have learned that I will pass on though. When I asked my hairdresser for LONG layers, that actually means layers that are shorter/higher up and a greater difference between the shortest and longest hair (as per my hairdresser). SHORT layers are when you only want a bit of layering at the tips/ends of the hair. I'm SOOOO glad I asked to have that clarified once!

Rowdy
January 13th, 2015, 08:34 AM
One thing I have learned that I will pass on though. When I asked my hairdresser for LONG layers, that actually means layers that are shorter/higher up and a greater difference between the shortest and longest hair (as per my hairdresser). SHORT layers are when you only want a bit of layering at the tips/ends of the hair. I'm SOOOO glad I asked to have that clarified once!

My mind is blown. How did I not realize this?! :doh:

Belle Paix
January 13th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Who perms an 8 year old's hair?[/B]! Isn't that dangerous, with the harsh chemicals?
Lol! I loved your response, brought back memories! My mom had my hair permed frequently too when I was that young. I think that's one of the many reasons that I've never really been able to grow my hair long. It's ALWAYS been short, or permed/colored, and I'm frequently making changes to it...It took LHC for me to understand exactly how one should care for her hair.

Majorane
January 13th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Lol! I loved your response, brought back memories! My mom had my hair permed frequently too when I was that young. I think that's one of the many reasons that I've never really been able to grow my hair long. It's ALWAYS been short, or permed/colored, and I'm frequently making changes to it...It took LHC for me to understand exactly how one should care for her hair.
Kai tu, Brute? Again I ask: WHY would you perm a child's hair? This is totally a hijack of the topic, for which I apologize, but I just don't get why one would perm a child's hair?

truepeacenik
January 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Wait, what? Stop. You have 1b/F/ii, I have 1b/f/ii, we have the same sort of hair. WHY would your mother perm your hair AT AGE 8? Is that a 'thing'? Who perms an 8 year old's hair?! Isn't that dangerous, with the harsh chemicals?
My mom had no idea what to do with my fine hair, so I was doomed to a cute kiddie bob. (which, I have to admit, was easy, and while it wasn't long mermaid hair it definately looked really really good on me) I have no idea how both of us would have managed with fine, straight, damaged permed hair. Why would your mom do that? (even though I am sure she is a lovely lady)

Brightfeather: I am so sorry for you. I think most of us know the feel of being hair-butchered, it sucks so bad :( I once went to the hairdresser and said "I want to grow it long". I took off my glasses (WRONG, MISTAKE, wear your contacts to the hairdresser so you can see what they do) and afterwards she was all smiles and said "weeeel, now you can grow it long again". SO rude. I've also been to hairdressers and said "surprise me" and then they do have full autority to do crazy stuff, but not when you are so clear about what you want! How did the hairhacker respond afterwards, and what did you say? Did you even pay? Did she think it was nice? From you description it sounds horrible.

Good luck at the savior-hairdresser, may the hairforce be with you. Also, cutting your hair yourself can be done, too, it's not difficult.

Totally a thing. 1970s, Toni home perms, red hair, chop the damage.
Oh, did I mention I went by my middle name, Ann?
The sun will come out Tomorrow...

Belle Paix
January 13th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Kai tu, Brute? Again I ask: WHY would you perm a child's hair? This is totally a hijack of the topic, for which I apologize, but I just don't get why one would perm a child's hair?

:shrug:Dunno...quite a few of us kidlets had perms in my area, from what I can remember. I didn't think it was weird then. And I agree, I would NEVER perm my daughters hair, though I didn't think about it when I was a kid.
Sorry for the topic hijack!!

raingirl
January 13th, 2015, 09:56 AM
All my friends had perms when they were kids in the 80s. I was always so jealous! They always used those home perm kits and would play with the rollers in their hair while it set.

Brightfeather
January 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM
*hugs* I hear your pain. When growing out my henna they did an angled bob on my hair the I told them I wanted it all the same length. And it was too short to do anything for so long, I was so depressed.

Wait, WHAT? that is completely counter-intuitive. Was it opposite day when they named the technique???? If that's the case, you'd think that hairdressers would realize they need to clarify things when a client asks for long layers, to make sure everyone is on the same page.

chen bao jun
January 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Black mom's routinely relax their daughters ' hair nowadays, sometimes as young as s two or three. When I was young, this didn't happen, but my mom did have me straightened with a hot comb from age 8, inspire of y dad's protests.
I have a friend who went blonette at age 12. Her mom had her hair bleached. All fell out.
I've never had a daughter but in my mom's case, she had a new baby, no family or help and a daughter who cried whenever she combed her hair ( you can't comb curly hair in a rush ) so she weighed the options and thought this was besst. Mom's rarely do things out of malice, although sometimes they make poor choices due to stress, lack of time and a lot of people s needs having to be met a at once. My mom chemically straightened my hair, true, but stopped taking care of hers at all, literally, so it all fell out. Which she wouldn't have let happen to me.

Majorane
January 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Chen: oh, I am positive that no mother would perm a kids hair out of malice! But, I.. can't stop going.. shudder: at the idea of kiddies in such harsh chemicals...? I had veggie dyes when I was 12, and after that henna at 12, and that was huuugely controversial in my school and with the parents there. Maybe I'm the weird one, apparently a lot of people have had perms as a kid, seeing all the replies about it...

One other thing, while I understand that very tightly curled hair is not always as easy as straight, I have only recently discovered to what great lengths a lot of African descended women go through to get (blegh, permed) straight hair and I find it horrible. The Surinam friends I have all have normal, natural hair in all flavours and it is gorgeous, I had no idea there was so much straightening pressure and horror going on and I find it terrible. "Black" hair is amazing, why would anyone want to kill that?

Topic starter, so sorry for the hijack again, I will really bow out now,

PinkyCat
January 13th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Oh Im so sorry & I know your pain. Same layering fiasco happened to me too. Why is it so damn difficult to do layers?

spidermom
January 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
I do understand. Some stylists are not good at their jobs. I do wonder, however, whether there was more damage than you anticipated, and that is why she cut more than you asked.

Don't panic! A few 1-inch trims should bring your hair closer to what you wanted.

spidermom
January 13th, 2015, 10:51 AM
P.S: Around the salon where I used to go, long layers meant that there was only a few inches difference between the shortest layer and the longest layer.

share801
January 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM
http://thebeautydepartment.com/2014/09/language-of-layers-part-1/

This article brings some definitions to "layers" and states that "long layers" are the opposite of what most of us here want.

TLDR quote "Short layers don’t mean that your top layer is short in length. Short (when describing layers) simply defines the distance between one layer and the next. Think of it like this– it’s just a “short distance” to the next layer."

share801
January 13th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I was so eager to post the link above I forgot to say I"m sorry this happened. It sounds like you were more than clear about what you wanted. Some pople just seem to disregard clients wishes.

chen bao jun
January 13th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Chen: oh, I am positive that no mother would perm a kids hair out of malice! But, I.. can't stop going.. shudder: at the idea of kiddies in such harsh chemicals...? I had veggie dyes when I was 12, and after that henna at 12, and that was huuugely controversial in my school and with the parents there. Maybe I'm the weird one, apparently a lot of people have had perms as a kid, seeing all the replies about it...

One other thing, while I understand that very tightly curled hair is not always as easy as straight, I have only recently discovered to what great lengths a lot of African descended women go through to get (blegh, permed) straight hair and I find it horrible. The Surinam friends I have all have normal, natural hair in all flavours and it is gorgeous, I had no idea there was so much straightening pressure and horror going on and I find it terrible. "Black" hair is amazing, why would anyone want to kill that?

Topic starter, so sorry for the hijack again, I will really bow out now,

Oh, do you know people from Surinam? My aunts ALL married men from Surinam, so a whole lot of my paternal cousins are half Surinamese. None of them have kinky curly hair though, they all have silky wavy hair. They are African descended, partly but their dads were very mixed race, is purer African common in Surinam? Are you in Holland?

I hate relaxed hair too and mine, which is definitely an African hair type, is MUCH easier to handle in its natural state. I'm unhappy my mom had my hair straightened with heat, aND yes chemicals are worse and heavens knows what th e effect is on very little children. The moms need to be educated about t his, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

chen bao jun
January 13th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Double post.
imagine you see a cute kitty...

embee
January 13th, 2015, 02:19 PM
OP, I am so sorry that your hair was butchered, especially when you have a professional work environment where you must look "right". What a pain.

As for kiddie perms - I am old enough to have had heat-wave perms (with chemicals plus heat) as a young child.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perm_%28hairstyle%29

I will never ever forget the horrible stink of the hot chemicals and my burned hair... it lasted for weeks, no matter how much washing. And I had *many* of these. My mom was *determined* that I have golden ringlets. I must admit these are the only perms that have ever lasted any time in my hair.... giant balls of frizz (not ringlets!). :(

Brightfeather
January 13th, 2015, 04:15 PM
On a side note, the office dress code (it's not written out, but everyone knows what's expected and why) basically boils down to "VERY well groomed." While I meet this requirement, i definately don't match the other women in the office. I don't wear heels or follow fashion trends (I know what they are, they just don't suit my body), I don't wear flashy jewelry or lots of makeup, I'm not toned and tan, and I don't have super styled hair. Everyone else seems to have a new color and cut every other week. Hot tools and tons of product every day. Needless to say, it's universally short and fried, but really fashionable, and they look really great. Then there's short zaftig me, with my linen trousers and white silk blouse. I always thought of myself as the inconspicuous one, though I feel feminine and pretty and enjoy my fancy knots and buns, until I was brushing out my hair after work one day, after being there about a month, and one of my coworkers sighed (sighed!) "you have such beautiful hair," and another chimed in that she was blown away by how I could throw it up into a fancy bun with 2 seconds and a hair stick. I never blushed so hard in my life :)

Apparently, while I was feeling inconspicuous and a little shy, they thought I was scary competent and loved my hair. Who knew?!?! It made a nice icebreaker :D

embee
January 13th, 2015, 07:18 PM
ha! That's a great story and I'm glad you wrote it out. I think your linen trousers and silk blouse sound just fine, but they're for sure not what the others were wearing. :D

If I were you, I'd just put what I have left into a bun and grow out the mess. After all, you *cannot possibly* be the only one in that office to have had a wretched salon experience. I'd not even mention it, but if somebody says something, you say the only way to really fix it is to grow it out. Roll your eyes and look disgusted. Give it 6 months - if your diet is great and you do not trim (only S&D occasionally) you should have eliminated many of the layer problems.

slynr
January 13th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Kiddie perms...it was a thing in the 70's. The stench is burned in my memory and it burned my skin badly. I'm no sure what drove my mother to do that to my hair. All I know is it definitely left me with the impression that there was something wrong with my natural hair. I continued to do that and then bleaching, curling and back combing, all in the quest to put "body" in my fine hair. I guess that's why I'm so big on accepting and working with natural hair now. Fine ii hair is pretty much straight down on your head. That's normal. And it's ok.

So yeah...kid perms. Ughhhh!!

spirals
January 13th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I have curly hair and yet I asked for a perm. And I got it. I was 11, maybe. It was the 80s; we did a lot of crazy things.

rina06
January 14th, 2015, 12:50 AM
I can totally empathise with your experience, I'm trying to grow out layers that were cut unevenly, recut to correct this (which made my hair shorter) and hoping my digi perm disappears as my hair grows longer so I can pretend none of this happened.

Hang in there, we can grow it all out together! :)
For the time being I've taught myself the hairband gibson tuck to hold me over, perhaps that can be an option for disguising it if you want to?

spirals
January 14th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Oh yeah, that gibson thing works well with layers. This is what mine looks like:

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt170/naturallyfrizzy/bohemeright.jpg I didn't mean for the scarf to peak out, but I liked it. I always have lots of layers, and it works.

upnorthmama
January 14th, 2015, 05:24 AM
I have curly hair and yet I asked for a perm. And I got it. I was 11, maybe. It was the 80s; we did a lot of crazy things.

Me too. I think I was about 10 and had my long hair chopped to chin length and permed (and I have curly hair!!!). The 80's was just all around bad for hair!

emilia1992
January 14th, 2015, 06:49 AM
TwilightShadow, I can't hold off on the "correction," because of my work environment. Very formal office, the expectation is that you will be immaculately turned out. millions of ends frizzing out everywhere from my updo isn't an option. I scheduled extra time at the hairdresser so that we can cut it back in stages until we get to a point that I can work with.

I'm so sorry to hear about this! :blossom:

Just wondering, would a bun net or something similar be able to prevent the ends sticking out from an updo?

Clarkie
January 14th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Just wanted to add my support. My last haircut (nearly a year ago) was also an unwanted layers fiasco. The only positive thing that came of it is that it led me to find the wonderful people and advice on LHC. :flower:
I think the bun net is a good idea. When my layers were shorter I would do strategic twisting and pinning. If you check out Youtube there are tons of ideas for updos for shorter hair. All the best!

Clarkie
January 14th, 2015, 08:58 AM
The dreaded double post!! Sorry:kitten:

spirals
January 14th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Me too. I think I was about 10 and had my long hair chopped to chin length and permed (and I have curly hair!!!). The 80's was just all around bad for hair!

Yep, and I have an 80s-themed birthday party to go to Saturday. Gettin' out my hairspray and curling iron. Wooh!

KellyZoe
January 15th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I'll use this story as a test if I ever go in for a haircut again. After sharing this story with them, if they respond, "Well, that's just because your hair is fine, and layers give it more movement" or something similar, I'll run.

If they respond, "Why would they do that? That's horrible." I'll feel safe.

Clarkie
January 15th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Yep, and I have an 80s-themed birthday party to go to Saturday. Gettin' out my hairspray and curling iron. Wooh!

Make sure you spray the hairspray on while bending at the waist with your hair hanging down. When you stand up your hair should be several inches higher. That's how we did it in the '80s baby!!:rockerdud

spirals
January 15th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I forgot about that trick. I used to rat it, but I can't bear to. My poor hair!

mindwiped
January 16th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Spirals-tomorrow, wet your hair, and scrunch the heaviest gel you have through it. Let it dry, and then either comb or brush (what your hair can handle) until you've got huge volume. It's what I did the last time I needed 80s hair, and I'm not quite as curly as you are

Brightfeather
January 16th, 2015, 10:09 AM
update: so the haircut went better than I feared. I'm at BSL now, so I've lost more length than I originally intended, but I didn't have to go all the way back to a bob. Cassie The Wonder Stylist (tm pending) took another couple of inches off the bottom, reshaped the hemline, and blended the layers together so it doesn't look all choppy. I still have a lot of ends, but it works better for my fine hair, and is easier to contain (a little hair oil is enough to keep them mostly contained in my bun, now that they aren't sticking out out locks). She also taught me a few options to make the most of them when my hair is down, so it looks like the layers are supposed to be there, instead of like a fuzzy mess. She's a long hair, as well, so she's got a better idea of care and styling considerations (ie: I will NOT be blowing out my hair every morning, or using a curling iron, etc). Also was VERY communicative on EXACTLY what she was cutting, and why, and what I could expect the results to be, BEFORE she picked up the scissors. I'll be going back to her for my trims from here on out (I have mobility issues that make trimming my own hair evenly a little problematic).

After the cut, I went to visit my sister at the winery where she works, and she treated me to a tasting. I felt much more relaxed about the whole situation by the time we were done. :D

LauraLongLocks
January 16th, 2015, 10:38 PM
update: so the haircut went better than I feared. I'm at BSL now, so I've lost more length than I originally intended, but I didn't have to go all the way back to a bob. Cassie The Wonder Stylist (tm pending) took another couple of inches off the bottom, reshaped the hemline, and blended the layers together so it doesn't look all choppy. I still have a lot of ends, but it works better for my fine hair, and is easier to contain (a little hair oil is enough to keep them mostly contained in my bun, now that they aren't sticking out out locks). She also taught me a few options to make the most of them when my hair is down, so it looks like the layers are supposed to be there, instead of like a fuzzy mess. She's a long hair, as well, so she's got a better idea of care and styling considerations (ie: I will NOT be blowing out my hair every morning, or using a curling iron, etc). Also was VERY communicative on EXACTLY what she was cutting, and why, and what I could expect the results to be, BEFORE she picked up the scissors. I'll be going back to her for my trims from here on out (I have mobility issues that make trimming my own hair evenly a little problematic).

After the cut, I went to visit my sister at the winery where she works, and she treated me to a tasting. I felt much more relaxed about the whole situation by the time we were done. :D

This is a happy ending. Glad you found a stylist that was so wonderful.

monaaa75
February 20th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Ive been there... just get yourself a nice bob and grow your hair again.

lapushka
February 20th, 2015, 11:35 AM
This is a happy ending. Glad you found a stylist that was so wonderful.

:agree: Yes, I'm glad this worked out and that you're much happier with it.

MagicalMystery
February 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I feel your pain. I had a hairdresser once who didn't understand what shrinkage was, and basically pulled my hair straight and chopped, not knowing that it would dry and shrink. Horrible haircut. Ugh.

I see you managed to get it fixed, and that's awesome!! :)

embee
February 20th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Just read your update. Glad you found a solution. Geez. What a mess though. I'd have been frantic and so sad.

MINAKO
February 20th, 2015, 01:09 PM
omg, im really sorry this happened to you and angry at your stylist. why didnt they just offer to perform a keratin treatment and gradually takeyou back to straight hair? i can imagine how harsh the process must have been on your fine hair as it added up. i had bad expirience too and while i consider my hair resistant, still it was completely fried and i big chopped some time after.
just try to save now as much as you can andmy suggestion to find another hair dresser in the future is pretty self explanatory if they call themselves experts and perform a straightening perm with know about all theprevious processes.

spidermom
February 20th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Now it seems there isn't agreement across the hairstyle world about what is meant by short layers, long layers, etc. Contrary to the link posted earlier, I found this description on hair math.

Short layers is when the shortest cut of your layers are high on your head. Long layers is when the shortest cut of you layers are within a few inches of the longest length of hair. Medium layers is somewhere in between the two, usually when your layers start at ear or chin level.

mothcub
February 20th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I pretty much have a distrust for hairdressers. I'm sure lots of them are understanding and respectful and, well, listen to what you actually say, but everyone around me seems to keep having awful experiences and I also get quite anxious going to a hairdresser (mind you I haven't been since I was a teenager now, but it just isn't a comfortable thought). Sorry about what happened, and at least people here will understand why you're upset! It's so mean to ignore someone's feelings just because YOU prefer their hair a certain way.

ositarosita
February 20th, 2015, 02:54 PM
You can always do what i did .. just take off .5" you dont gain any length but you gain the THICKNESS and you grow out your layers. Using this method you can even grow out your layers to a point where you're happy with them then just snip