PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent braid shredding?

emilia1992
January 12th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Hi there!

So, my braid always looks really frayed after maybe a couple of hours, with loads and loads of little flyaway hairs sticking out down the length of the braid. It looks like I've been sleeping in the braid for days!

My hair is naturally dead straight and in fairly good condition. I know that ultimately, the only way to stop braid shredding is for the hair to be practically all the same length. My layers are gone and the ends are blunt, but clearly there are lots of little shorter hairs wanting to escape. I use conditioner, but it's clearly not enough.

So, my question is, how do I keep all the hair in the braid and not looking messy? Is there a way to keep the braid smooth, and somehow disguise all the little flyaways?

spidermom
January 12th, 2015, 07:07 AM
You could use gel or some kind of styling cream to help hair cling together, but if the braid is hanging free, swinging around over your clothing, the newer, shorter hairs are going to escape and stick out. I've found the best way to keep a neat braid is to pin it up or bun it.

butterfly_dream
January 12th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I have the same problem with my braid, so I'll place here waiting for tips and tricks. :popcorn:

DreamSheep
January 12th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Curious to hear this too! I have layers too and get incredible braid shreds.
I would've thought certain gels/products/hairspray would help with the flyaways, but I never really bother using any/ don't own any.

ashke50
January 12th, 2015, 07:44 AM
My sleep plait normally shreds loads, but I've noticed that if I oil my hair before plaiting it it looks much tidier in the morning - oiled plaits definitely shred less for me.

Madora
January 12th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Hi there!

So, my braid always looks really frayed after maybe a couple of hours, with loads and loads of little flyaway hairs sticking out down the length of the braid. It looks like I've been sleeping in the braid for days!

My hair is naturally dead straight and in fairly good condition. I know that ultimately, the only way to stop braid shredding is for the hair to be practically all the same length. My layers are gone and the ends are blunt, but clearly there are lots of little shorter hairs wanting to escape. I use conditioner, but it's clearly not enough.

So, my question is, how do I keep all the hair in the braid and not looking messy? Is there a way to keep the braid smooth, and somehow disguise all the little flyaways?

To help lessen the frayed look, wear your braid up so it isn't subject to interacting with clothing or being moved around. The only other way to keep it looking smooth is to rebraid your hair every so many hours.

woodswanderer
January 12th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Maybe you could slightly water down a small dab of clear aloe vera gel and smooth it over the finished braid. I've been thinking of doing it to my braid, but I haven't got around to it yet. I used to use it to keep wispy hairs off my forehead when I was training my new part.

Madora
January 12th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Hi there!

To help lessen the frayed look, wear your braid up so it isn't subject to interacting with clothing or being moved around. The only other way to keep it looking smooth is to rebraid your hair every so many hours.

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2015, 08:32 AM
I use hair setting lotion lotta body brand and it holds mine for a week with out helmet hair hard hair. Other then this there isn't too many options except to wear it up. If not wearing it up try a hair bag so it's not rolling all over the place.

prettyinpink
January 12th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I braid my hair when its slightly damp then I comb through a little glob of aloe, or a little bit of herbal essences honey im strong conditioner. Its a little sticky, so it kinda helps "glue" the braid together. I suppose you could try using real honey too, if your brave! (:

MeowScat
January 12th, 2015, 09:09 AM
My hair is stick-straight, all one length, and my braid shreds are epic. The two things that work for me are bunning the braid so there's zero friction or using a ponytail protector. I use this one since you don't have to lace it up like a shoe like many other protectors. I use an elastic to keep it on.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrapter-Hair-Wrap-Black-Size/dp/B00ABZSC7M/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1421078399&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Ponytail+protector#customerReviews

MeowScat
January 12th, 2015, 09:17 AM
You can also google, "hair glove". There are lots to choose from. :)

hendy
January 12th, 2015, 10:37 AM
I have a suggestion that works on my layered hair - when braiding, try to rotate the strand before weaving it.. not sure how to explain, but I just kinda flip the strands one time with my finger before braiding them...after some practice it becomes natural
This way the hair is held by the rotation and not only by the crossing and the small hairs have less chance of escaping

I also use some hairspray and hair mousse to make my hair less slippery and more manageable

Gertrude
January 12th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Fine, slippery straight hair here, and it is mostly one length, but one length does not exist. Hairs shed and new ones grow in at individual moments all the time. So the braid shred is epic and actually looks lovely and bohemian, have been complimented on it.

I wear the braid up in a bun, sigh, the only bun holding on me is braided with a stick or a two prong fork and a lot of wavy Amish pins, and that really helps. Oiling can work but it's just hard to braid my hair tightly together. It wants to unfurl itself. So if I wear a braid down I just re-do it twice a day. Not an encouraging reply, sorry..........

meteor
January 12th, 2015, 11:20 AM
My hair is stick-straight, all one length, and my braid shreds are epic. The two things that work for me are bunning the braid so there's zero friction or using a ponytail protector. I use this one since you don't have to lace it up like a shoe like many other protectors. I use an elastic to keep it on.

http://www.amazon.com/Wrapter-Hair-Wrap-Black-Size/dp/B00ABZSC7M/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1421078399&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Ponytail+protector#customerReviews

You can also google, "hair glove". There are lots to choose from. :)

^ I think these are great suggestions! :D I suspect that things like hair bags (horse tail bags) can help.
A silk scarf used as a paranda can help keep those strands smoother.
Also, try wearing silky tops whenever you wear your braid down.

Personally, I find the only way to keep my braid from looking messy is to pin it up, and preferably in a bun, not a coronet style, so that the braid is more compacted and less exposed to the elements. So braided cinnabuns, braided lazy wrap buns, braided nautilus... would be helpful/

TwilightShadow
January 12th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I braid my hair when its slightly damp then I comb through a little glob of aloe, or a little bit of herbal essences honey im strong conditioner. Its a little sticky, so it kinda helps "glue" the braid together. I suppose you could try using real honey too, if your brave! (:
Does the aloe make it sticky as well? I'm thinking of buying some, if it gives good results.

silverstars
January 12th, 2015, 12:25 PM
I have been using hair pudding while braiding lately. It's been really helpful with my braid shred issues. I can't do my 7 strand or fish tail braids without it now. They look so much better now. I can give the brand when I get home from work. I found it in the ethnic hair care section of my grocery store.

Edit: It is Olive Oil Smooth-n-Hold Pudding if anyone wanted to know.

Nadine <3
January 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Oiled braid stay nicer, longer, or if I plan of keeping the same braid for multiple days I use my homemade hairspray. 1 teaspoon dissolved into a cup of boiling distilled water makes a nice hairspray that smooths the braids without making it crunchy. I add a bit of essential oil to mine for a nice scent.

swearnsue
January 12th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Oiled braid stay nicer, longer, or if I plan of keeping the same braid for multiple days I use my homemade hairspray. 1 teaspoon dissolved into a cup of boiling distilled water makes a nice hairspray that smooths the braids without making it crunchy. I add a bit of essential oil to mine for a nice scent.

Hi Natine. One teaspoon of what? lol. Did I miss it?

Nadine <3
January 12th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Hi Natine. One teaspoon of what? lol. Did I miss it?

Oh goodness that is so embarrassing! LOL 1 teaspoon of sugar...you can add more for a stronger hold, but this is the recipe I've settled on.

emilia1992
January 13th, 2015, 04:29 AM
Wow guys, thanks for all your suggestions!

Yes, I realise now that it probably is due to my braid rubbing against my clothing when I move around.

The 'Wrapter Hair' looks really interesting - I didn't even know they existed!

And thanks to several of you who suggested oils in some form - I'm definitely going to try this.

And of course, the suggestion to wear it up - I think this would be the most practical solution - I'll do this when I don't have time to oil.

:)

Kwebb831
January 19th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I actually do two braids. One with the top half of my hair and the other using the rest. It's not super cute, but with my fine and thin hair, it all just slips out of one braid. So I do two.

Daydreamer.
January 20th, 2016, 02:57 AM
My braids get that way when they rub against something (clothes, furniture, etc.). Try oiling your hair before braiding. Pinning them up helps tremendously (less contact with surfaces). You can also try making them a little tighter (but not too tight) to keep hair from falling out the braid. Good luck!

jocelyn anne
January 20th, 2016, 03:02 AM
Hi there!

It would be best to use some hair oils or hair sprays before braiding it. Also, use quality bands to avoid hair shedding.

ethanbawasanta1
April 5th, 2016, 09:47 PM
My braids get that way when they rub against something (clothes, furniture, etc.). Try oiling your hair before braiding. Pinning them up helps tremendously (less contact with surfaces). You can also try making them a little tighter (but not too tight) to keep hair from falling out the braid. Good luck!

Does it damage the hair if you are tightening your hair braid?

AJNinami
April 6th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Does it damage the hair if you are tightening your hair braid?

Tightening the braid after it has been plaited will just end up in more shred, and is damaging at the same time. Wearing tighter braids will help with shred, but the damage done will depend on how tightly you plait them. Sometimes braids are too tight and cause friction against the other hairs. Tight braids also put a lot of tension on the hair strands, so it's best to just do medium-to-loose braids. Like many have suggested here, bunning or pinning braids up is the best way to keep them tidy. But if you really want to wear them down, I would suggest investing in some hair-friendly clothing, as what you wear really affects how badly your braid shreds. (No hoodies, no grabby clothing, etc.)

lovetoread
November 4th, 2017, 09:24 PM
I have this issue as well, so I'm glad to have found this thread. I am definitely going to try oiling and see how it goes!

leayellena
November 5th, 2017, 01:56 AM
stick straight hair problems. or have u ever seen a chinese woman wearing her hair braided?
try something like this: https://www.quora.com/Can-I-wear-braids-as-an-Asian-girl

Kat
November 6th, 2017, 04:21 AM
I've oiled before, too, but I don't always want oily-looking hair (especially if I also want to wear it down some time before I wash it again). Or, for that matter, oily-feeling hair, in case someone happens to touch it. (And since my hair pulls out everywhere, from root to tip, I'd also have to oil my crown and that's definitely not the oily look I want.)

I have a suggestion that works on my layered hair - when braiding, try to rotate the strand before weaving it.. not sure how to explain, but I just kinda flip the strands one time with my finger before braiding them...after some practice it becomes natural
This way the hair is held by the rotation and not only by the crossing and the small hairs have less chance of escaping

I'm going to try this. It won't help with the little bits that pull out around my crown, but at least the braid itself doesn't have to look awful.

So the braid shred is epic and actually looks lovely and bohemian, have been complimented on it.

Lucky! I'm not one of those people who can look pretty or edgy or fashionable in "messy" hair... I just look like an unkempt slob who never cares for her hair. I'm so jealous of people on whom this looks nice!

stick straight hair problems. or have u ever seen a chinese woman wearing her hair braided?
try something like this: https://www.quora.com/Can-I-wear-braids-as-an-Asian-girl

I don't know about Chinese women, but I've seen some lovely braids on Thai women here.

Beeboo123
November 6th, 2017, 05:05 AM

Braids are a traditional Chinese hairstyle. I hope you mean that you believe that it is hard to have braids with stick straight hair, and that you thus assume that we can’t have braids, and that you did not mean that we should not be wearing our hair braided. Because we’ve been braiding our hair for thousands of years.

LadyCelestina
November 6th, 2017, 06:24 AM
I'd assume the straighter your hair is, the less braid shred you have. Epic braid shreds on straight hair are probably still better looking than epic braid shreds on curly hair :D

Kat
November 6th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I'd assume the straighter your hair is, the less braid shred you have. Epic braid shreds on straight hair are probably still better looking than epic braid shreds on curly hair :D

I think it depends on the hair itself. My hair is pretty straight, but I think the problem is that I have a lot of little shorter bits, and that's what pulls out. That's why my braid looks so frayed and fuzzy, and around my crown too.

Kikyou
November 6th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I think that curls are a bit less shreddy than straight hair. I don't know why, they seem to hold together somehow. My best and only way to keep braids smooth is to pin them up. Nothing else works.

leayellena
November 6th, 2017, 11:40 PM
I think that curls are a bit less shreddy than straight hair. I don't know why, they seem to hold together somehow. My best and only way to keep braids smooth is to pin them up. Nothing else works.

yes!
btw: has anyone thought of weighting their curls down and probably having a straighter braid? for example coney conditioners, of course not on your scalp if you are allergic or so.
for me using my moisturizing leave-in conditioner makes my hair almost straight.

lucid
November 7th, 2017, 03:27 AM
I think that curls are a bit less shreddy than straight hair. I don't know why, they seem to hold together somehow.

Yes, this is true in general. For straight hair, curling it before braiding will typically greatly reduce braid shredding. I actually find that even old braid waves reduce braid shredding to a noticeable degree :)

Oiling the hair or applying some kind of styling product will help as well. Anything that makes the hair clump together.

Kitke
November 7th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I get some mad braid shredding and coconut oil/only braiding greasy day 4 hair is the only thing that controls it.

To be honest the fraying doesn't bother me too badly, since lots of the shredding ends are also split ends. It becomes a great opportunity for a little s&d without the effort of searching for them :)

LadyCelestina
November 8th, 2017, 01:38 PM
^ Funny. With my hair, a braid gets so much shred the actual braid pattern is invisible after a few hours unless I rebraid or slick it back a looot with products :D Maybe I just have broken hair.

leayellena
November 9th, 2017, 12:08 AM
I think it's about the feel of your braid more than the hair texture. I could do a long lasting (day to day braid kept for sleep braid) fishtail braid! maybe I should try bun a fishtail braid one day..