PDA

View Full Version : A question about BBB brushing

missblueeyes
January 11th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Hey everyone! I've been growing out my natural hair for over 6 months now and the roots are really starting to show. The thing is, they seem to need some different care than the rest of my head. My scalp produces a decent amount of sebum, which I'd love to distribute down my length with a BBB. My lengths, however, have been heavily chemically processed in the past. There is no heat damage and very little splits. My ends feel good as I recently had a trim. I use silicones on my length, but I've been cutting down recently.

I heard that if used on damaged hair, a BBB can cause more damage than it'd do good. Now, do you think it would be safe to try a BBB to distribute the sebum on my hair? I really want to try it as I think that'd mean that I could stretch the time between washes a little further. It's probably hard to say, but I just wanted to get a second opinion on this topic before I buy one and destroy my hair completely. :/

Madora
January 11th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Missblueeyes, I have no experience with using a pure bbb on damaged hair so cannot say whether or not it would damage your hair. That said, from your description, it sounds like your hair would do well with being brushed with a bbb, PROVIDED that you use a 100% bbb and you use the proper technique. And as you know, you always detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before you start to brush. If you want to know more about bbbs and how to use them, please feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help.

missblueeyes
January 11th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Missblueeyes, I have no experience with using a pure bbb on damaged hair so cannot say whether or not it would damage your hair. That said, from your description, it sounds like your hair would do well with being brushed with a bbb, PROVIDED that you use a 100% bbb and you use the proper technique. And as you know, you always detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before you start to brush. If you want to know more about bbbs and how to use them, please feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help.

Thank you so much for the helpful response, Madora! I would, of course, use a 100% BBB. Concerning the technique, I've been lurking quite a bit on the forum and I read a lot on how BBBs should be used. :) I just wasn't sure if my hair would benefit from them at all so I thought I'd ask first. I'm probably going to get one tomorrow and see how it goes. Again, thanks a lot!

Madora
January 11th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Missblueeyes, if you haven't used a bbb, may I caution you that if you do start using one, you MIGHT notice your roots/scalp becoming greasy for the first two weeks. This is because your scalp has to adjust itself to the brushing. Once your scalp has settled down, you should notice a decrease in the greasies. I never had this problem myself..but then I've been using a brush since I was six.

missblueeyes
January 12th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Missblueeyes, if you haven't used a bbb, may I caution you that if you do start using one, you MIGHT notice your roots/scalp becoming greasy for the first two weeks. This is because your scalp has to adjust itself to the brushing. Once your scalp has settled down, you should notice a decrease in the greasies. I never had this problem myself..but then I've been using a brush since I was six.

Alright! That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for shiny hair. I got a 100% BBB today and the first brushing worked really well. After making sure my hair was detangled properly, I parted my hair in the middle and brushed one side first before switching to the other. The difference was immediately noticeable. I lost three hairs overall, which all looked severely damaged. I guess they're from the bottom layer of my hair, which breaks super easy. My roots are super greasy now but that's understandable as I'm on day 4. :) I love the feeling of the BBB against my scalp.

Wildcat Diva
January 12th, 2015, 06:58 AM
I actually sometimes use a BBB on my roots only and lift it up and out instead of trying to make it through my ends. My wavy/curly hair clings together, and when I do DO BBB all of it, it takes a LONG time and the results are frizzy ends, even with using my hand to smooth it, AND small amount of coconut oil on ends. I think if I did BBB through my hair daily, I would sacrifice my natural texture and probably risk damage from the extensive mechanical wear and tear required to detangle enough to use a BBB safely. I'm happier finger combing most of the time.

Robot Ninja
January 12th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I have been using a BBB on dye-damaged hair for about a year now and it hasn't seemed to cause any additional damage. Like you, I hadn't used chemical dyes for about six months when I started, and never used heat. I do lose quite a bit of hair when I do it but they're all sheds.

desisparkles
October 16th, 2019, 07:46 PM
I actually sometimes use a BBB on my roots only and lift it up and out instead of trying to make it through my ends. My wavy/curly hair clings together, and when I do DO BBB all of it, it takes a LONG time and the results are frizzy ends, even with using my hand to smooth it, AND small amount of coconut oil on ends. I think if I did BBB through my hair daily, I would sacrifice my natural texture and probably risk damage from the extensive mechanical wear and tear required to detangle enough to use a BBB safely. I'm happier finger combing most of the time.

I've been brushing with a soft bbb and liked it enough that I splurged and got an extra firm one and I think your method sounds perfect. I don't want to possibly risk hurting my fragile ends (half of my length is previously dyed).

I know this thread is several years old but I'm curious if you still use this method Wildcat?

*For the record, I finger detangle, then use my wide tooth comb before & after I carefully use my bbb - to avoid the hair sticking together and tangling*

*** I tried to PM you Wildcat but it said your inbox is full - Hoping you see this***