PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with a microscope?

Number 3
January 11th, 2015, 04:48 AM
I've heard a lot of specific oils for healing damaged hair and smooth the cuticle.

http://www.kynxhaircare.com/uploads/images/before-after-hair-treatment.jpg

Anyone willing to do the experiment for us?

Here's the list:
Shea butter
Coconut oil
Jojoba oil
Monoi de tahiti oil
Sesame oil
Nigella sativa oil

Should be in hair for at least 12 hours, shampoo and rinse after.

DreamSheep
January 11th, 2015, 05:02 AM
I think those photos are made with Scanning Electron Microscopes (I doubt anyone has one of those at home - but if anyone is in a research lab or company with one then it might be possible!).
I know I don't have access to any, but am also curious to see the results.

The main shortcoming I can think of is that I believe specimens need to be coated in a thin layer of gold (or other appropiate material) for the scan - so I guess it wouldn't be possible to compare identical hairs before and after - but then this is based off what I remember, there may well be other mechanisms nowadays that don't involve coating the specimen and thus making it available for only one snapshot :hmm:

Merlin
January 11th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Dreamsheep, I'm sure if you got the samples and fluttered your eyelashes at one of the technicians around the biology dept they'd do it for you :-)

TwilightShadow
January 12th, 2015, 05:14 AM
DreamSheep is right, those images are taken with a Scanning Electron Microscope and you don't just find one in every research lab, unfortunately. In the institute where I work, there is only a Transmission Electron Microscope.