PDA

View Full Version : Hair stylist moved!!!!

EvelynMay
January 10th, 2015, 09:37 AM
so my worst fears happened... my hair dresser apparently moved out of state! I guess that's what happens when you only get your haircut once a year, a lot can happen in between! It already stressed me out when we moved across country and I had to find a new salon , and I STILL am nervous every single time I get my haircut even with a person that I have seen multiple times. So, the only reason I go to a salon still for a haircut is because I have layers. I don't want to attempt those at home. I see myself possibly transitioning to an all one length hair sometime in the coming years so I can do my trims myself at home. But I'm not quite ready for that yet. I only get 2 inches off every 8 months or so right now. And a refreshing of the layers.

The fact that I have to see a new person is seriously stressing me out... several months ago I posted here about my last haircut, the first one since I had started completely taking care of my hair different and better, and I was very aware of the fact that when she blow dried it she was very rough and holding the super hot hairdryer super close to my hair over and over again... so I had made up my mind that the next time I went I would let her cut it and then leave with a wet head, since I have seen her enough to know that the cut is probably fine. WELL. Now that I can't see her anymore because SHE MOVED (still so shocked and sad about it... lol) and I'm going to someone who has never cut or even seen my hair, is this a bad idea? Shuold I let them blow dry it at least the first time only just in case they need to do after touches, or so that I can see right away how they cut it? And then leave with a wet head in the future after I trust them? Everyone's interpretation of "layers" is soooo different it always makes me nervous. Of course I will bring in pictures just like I did with my girl before, and stress "LIGHT layers" and that I don't do any styling or anything with it. But still, it always worries me they'll do something crazy. I've already waited over my usual 8 month rule, it's now been nearly 10 months... so I really gotta get in and get it trimmed. Is it a good idea for the new person to blow dry it the first time to make sure it's all good? Or do I dare leave with a wet head?? I really want my old stylist back :( I feel kinda irritated that no one notified me... I didn't find out until I called the salon to make an appointment!! Hair nuts like me don't like surprises and changes. Boo.

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 10:35 AM
By chance that you do want to cut layers yourself - maybe. There are two methods called "compact cuts". It's from the book "Haircutting for dummies". The first method, you make the ponytail on the top of your head, like so (http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/cutting-hair-with-lightning-speed.html) and snip a bit off. This gives you longer layers. If you want short layers, you put the ponytail on the top of your forehead and snip a bit off. I have the latter kind of layers and my layers go from BSL+ to TBL+ and I love it. Wouldn't change it for the world. These methods can be too much if you have shorter than BSL hair, though. The layers may come out too short.

kganihanova
January 10th, 2015, 10:38 AM
What kind of light layers do you like? I found success by putting the ponytail closer to the back of head and cutting the tiniest bit off the tip.

EvelynMay
January 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM
like I said, I'm not quite there yet for doing it on my own at home :) And I don't think i'll ever attempt layers, I'm way too picky. Probably keep my layers at least 2 more years, which is pretty much 2 more haircuts haha and then consider growing them out and maintaining all one length at home! I really think that is what i'll end up doing.

For this thread I'm just inquiring about when you get a new stylist should you let them blow dry your hair the very first time (even though you'd usually leave with wet hair) to make sure that they really did it right since they don't know your hair as well. Any thoughts?

truepeacenik
January 11th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Is leaving damp, wandering around with your hair down for an hour or so and popping back in so the stylist can double check the result an option?

You can request cool dryer only, and claim tenderheadedness.

Wildcat Diva
January 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM
I have asked to blow dry the hair myself. This can let them get started on the next person and check back with them at the end of the next haircut, or while that other person is under the dryer or sitting there with foils on or whatever.

Lavenderhaze
January 11th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Evelyn may, it can be stressful to have your hairstylist leave, I know. But chances are you'll find another good one soon. I've never had my hair blowdried in a salon or at home, and always leave the salon wet headed, but maybe your hair style is different.

Lapushka, used to know a girl who had the coolest looking layers and when I asked her how she got them she showed me that same ponytail cutting technique. I thought she was kidding! Good to know it's a real technique! Thanks for posting that.