PDA

View Full Version : Help! Blow Drying Dry Hair

Fantak
January 10th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Hello everyone :)

I am at a new job and need to blow dry my hair to get a 'finished' look at least once a week.

I want to avoid damaging my fine fragile hair. I know blow drying it on high heat is damaging so plan to blow dry it when my hair is dry and to keep the heat as low and as far as possible.

Will I need a heat protector? What is the best/least damaging brush to use?

Do you have any tips and tricks? I'm a total newb at this blow out business -.-

I have tryed steam curlers but they don't give the shiny finished look I need :(

thank you :))

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 07:27 AM
I'm TBL+ and my hair gets diffused on warm every week, for 5 min. tops. It gets my roots dry and the rest of my hair pretty dry (this is after my hair was in a turbie for 15-20 min., and after about an hour, an hour and a half of air drying). I have no splits, nor white dots. So it's not all that harmful, provided you keep a few things in mind.

If you keep the temperature such that when you hold your hair in the airstream for a long time without it burning - it should be fine. Just drying it without roundbrushing it, that is.

Fantak
January 10th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Thank you lapushka!

Any suggestions for which brush I should use? I'm sorry I've never done this and the big bristle round brushes scare me :/

Upside Down
January 10th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Have you seen the method called saran wrap?
If you have straight-ish hair, I'd guess you can skip the roller part (lucky....)

Roller Set & Saran Wrap | Straight Hair Method:
http://http://youtu.be/SsS7nwiORKc

This used to be pretty popular on the interwebs a few years ago, and the results on many youtube tutorials were impressive, flat ironed like hair.

I've been meaning to try it for ever, to be honest :) it will probably take some practice with TBL hair..

FallingDarkness
January 10th, 2015, 12:38 PM
For detangling your hair, just use a wooden wide tooth comb.
Whenever I use any form of heat on my hair I like to use a heat protectant, especially because I rarely use heat on my hair so it might have a higher impact. Or at least I once heard a horror story of that happening to someone, so now I'm afraid LOL.
I'd also use coconut oil on your hair as a prepoo to counteract any potential damage :)

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Thank you lapushka!

Any suggestions for which brush I should use? I'm sorry I've never done this and the big bristle round brushes scare me :/

I'd not use a brush, just dry it. Brushing while blow drying is not a recommendation I'm willing to give.

Fantak
January 11th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Upside Down: Thank you for saran wrap suggestion. Will have a look :)

FallingDarkness: I use a wide tooth comb to detangle. I think I may just use a regular paddle brush to blow dry and see how it goes :/ fair point on heat protectant! I know I have some lying around somewhere..

Lapushka: Even if hair is already dry?

lapushka
January 11th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Lapushka: Even if hair is already dry?

Huh? If it's already dry, why blowdry it? Or do you mean give it a final brush through after blow drying - that's fine.

Fantak
January 11th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Huh? If it's already dry, why blowdry it? Or do you mean give it a final brush through after blow drying - that's fine.

Because if I don't it looks 'unfinished' which is fine by me but I need it to look sharp for work :(

lapushka
January 11th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Can't you wear it up? Some sort of updo? With a claw clip, perhaps.

SkyChild
January 11th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I know what you mean by the blowdry bit making it look sleeker and more finished, even if it's then going into an updo.
Blowdry it on high speed but the cool setting (not only is this better for hair but it makes it look sleeker too) and I wouldn't use a brush to dry it, but just to brush through once it's done. If you must use a brush, a paddle is good for shine. I'd avoid round brushes like the plague because I have a horrible habit of tangling my hair around it and then I have to cut the brush out :S

Pseudoavatar
January 12th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Hello everyone :)

I am at a new job and need to blow dry my hair to get a 'finished' look at least once a week.

I want to avoid damaging my fine fragile hair. I know blow drying it on high heat is damaging so plan to blow dry it when my hair is dry and to keep the heat as low and as far as possible.

Will I need a heat protector? What is the best/least damaging brush to use?

Do you have any tips and tricks? I'm a total newb at this blow out business -.-

I have tryed steam curlers but they don't give the shiny finished look I need :(

thank you :))

How about trying the headband curls method? http://www.topinspired.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/15.jpg
I use it at work a lot, because if you use large sections of hair, the hair turns very sophisticately wavy, but not in a 'big bouncy' way. I have found that it gives a very sleek finish and makes your hair look as if you had done something to it for hours and hours, even though it takes about 5 minutes to wrap those bad boys up :) If you brush it with a bristle brush, it gives an even nicer classic and sleek finish.

Kina
January 12th, 2015, 05:00 AM
A dubi set will give you straight hair w/ no need to blowcdrive, maybe w/ a slight wave. You can Google it for instructions, search term would be variations on spellings do dubi, doobie, etc.

spidermom
January 12th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Just don't use the blow-dryer on hot and your hair should be fine. When I blow dry, I use the heat protectant spray even though I don't use the hot setting. I think it adds to smooth results.