PDA

View Full Version : Stuck between two curly lengths: should I cut off a few or grow a few?

CostaRita
January 9th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Okay, so I recently posted about this head of hair:http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482800022528540649/

I love it and I think that it's stunning.

I also love Rose's hair from Titanic as many of you know: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/482800022528240420/

I think that Rose's hair is a bit longer than Black Widow's. I'm stuck on whether I should keep growing to get to Rose's or cut a few inches off to resemble Widow's.

The reality of the matter is that my hair will never look like either of them. Both are fake, perfect curls that have hours put into them. I spend 5 minutes styling and I'm not looking to spend any more time.

Anyway, I like how Widow's bounces. It has a certain amount of bounce that I think Rose's lacks. One reason to go shorter?

I also don't know at which point curls get "dragged down."

I do think that Rose's has a bit of classic elegance to it, though.

Also, I will add that Kate is around 5'7'' and Scarlett is more like 5'3'', so if height matters at all, I'm 5'2.5''.

Cheers!

Here are some pics of me with different lengths of hair:http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/rbouwens/library/?sort=3&page=1

To make things even more complicated, I also love Kiera Knightly's hair in Atonement. That's a whole other length :P

Quixii
January 9th, 2015, 11:45 PM
My default response to people questioning whether to grow on or cut back is: grow on! If you hate it, it's super easy and painless to cut back. If you cut back without trying the longer length, you'll just keep wondering whether you'd like the longer length.

CostaRita
January 9th, 2015, 11:51 PM
That's true! Thanks for the tip!

Aurum
January 10th, 2015, 01:04 AM
Why not just stay in between the two? That way you'll get the best of both worlds without needing any change.

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 07:43 AM
What I get from your posts (correct me if I'm wrong) is doubt. Doubt whether or not to grow, grow more at all. If you keep looking at pictures of celebrities, you might one day be disappointed if they make drastic changes to their hair. If you grow, I say grow for you, and because you want to.

CostaRita
January 10th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the tips!

I guess I just want hair that's movie-perfect. Not gonna happen, but that doesn't stop be from emulating it :P Staying between the two is a great suggestion!

kganihanova
January 10th, 2015, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=CostaRita;2915333

I guess I just want hair that's movie-perfect. Not gonna happen, but that doesn't stop be from emulating it :P Staying between the two is a great suggestion![/QUOTE]

Keep in mind what is behind the movie perfect hair. Accept yourself! You'll only ever be you.

spidermom
January 10th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Grow out to one, cut back to the other. Repeat.

If you put your hair into a ponytail on top of your head and roll the ends on curlers, you'll get bouncy curls.

Night_Kitten
January 10th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I'd second Quixii and say grow it longer, and if you see you don't like it you could always cut back... :)

I think a lot of the way the hair moves has to do with the way the person walks and moves - a more "bouncy" or "energetic" style of walking / moving will make hair move more whether it's longer or shorter, while a more "calm" style of walking / moving will make hair move less... Perhaps try adjusting your style of walking to achieve the effect you like instead of adjusting the length?

CostaRita
January 10th, 2015, 10:25 AM
^ hehe that's true

StellaKatherine
January 10th, 2015, 11:27 AM
To be honest I never understood this "wanting " a movie character hair. If you want mine 100% honest oppinion... I am not a fan of the black widow's hair at all , just too "done" looking. Roses hair is much nicer. But from all the 3 I actually like your own natural hair texture the most. I would suggest you to maybe look less on how the hair looks on celebrities, movie characters and more on how it looks on you! Taking photos helps a lot. Maybe grow a little more and see how it feels/looks...

CostaRita
January 10th, 2015, 11:41 AM
My sis says the same thing ^. She think's that Widow's looks too done and fake. I agree.

looniac
January 10th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I love the texture of your curls - but you will never know what that texture will look like at longer lengths unless you let it grow to that length! As another curly haired woman, I also am playing the balance between length and whether or not my curls are being too weighed down. It's worth it, though, I think, to grow on and experiment with different care regimens to find out what your curls like best. :) Just my 2 cents.

CostaRita
January 10th, 2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks! I think I will keep growing. I'm pretty close to BSL I think. :)

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks! I think I will keep growing. I'm pretty close to BSL I think. :)

Oh heeey, almost a milestone! :D Can we celebrate yet? ;)

CostaRita
January 10th, 2015, 02:37 PM
mmm....it looks like my ends are reaching the top of my bra strap. It is tapered in the back, too. It's curly right now as well.

I'm going to get a trim in two weeks or so because I'm studying abroad for four months.

CostaRita
January 10th, 2015, 02:38 PM
mmm....it looks like my ends are reaching the top of my bra strap. It is tapered in the back, too.

I'm going to get a trim in two weeks or so because I'm studying abroad for four months.