PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder length styles?

cdonald2
January 9th, 2015, 03:42 PM
My hair is shoulder length with chin length in the front by my temples. I usually do Gibson tucks, buns with elastics and claw clips. I cannot brain it yet since half of my hair still falls out of the braid in front, and it drives me nuts having the front of my hair lose while the back is up. Are there any toys or styles I can do for the time being? Also, are hair elastics ok as long as you're using them for buns? I'm hoping to get to bsl by August and I know the only way I can is by using protective styles snd keeping my ends moisturized and neat.

skeletonous
January 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I'd love to have some answers for this too, sounds like we have the about the same hair issues right now! ;)

Vivalagina
January 9th, 2015, 05:33 PM
I like to do double dutch braids at SL since they contain the front pieces well. I'll also do a lace braid or twist along my hairline and then braid or bun the back. A super quick way to contain the front section is with a little pouf - I like to use a snap barrette instead of bobby pins.

skeletonous
January 9th, 2015, 05:38 PM
^ I would love to be able to do dutch/french braids right now, but it still won't hold the front sections well for me even though they're about midneck. Not sure if it's my technique or what.

Vivalagina
January 9th, 2015, 05:40 PM
^ I would love to be able to do dutch/french braids right now, but it still won't hold the front sections well for me even though they're about midneck. Not sure if it's my technique or what.

Have you tried to spritz your hair with water first, then braid? I am able to get a much tighter/smoother braid if my hair is damp. :)

skeletonous
January 9th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Have you tried to spritz your hair with water first, then braid? I am able to get a much tighter/smoother braid if my hair is damp. :)

I haven't tried that yet :) thanks for the tip! It might help me see the sections better too and help me figure out what happens.

cdonald2
January 9th, 2015, 05:54 PM
What Type of Dutch braid do you mean? I can't find a tutorial for a normal one.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 9th, 2015, 06:01 PM
French braiding can be easier on damp hair and it does hold better. When my hair was shoulder length I loved peacock twists. Just so easy and quick and hair is up and out of your way. Plus your ends are protected, too.

Vivalagina
January 9th, 2015, 06:53 PM
What Type of Dutch braid do you mean? I can't find a tutorial for a normal one.

It's like a French braid but the braid strands are pulled under instead of over.

SnowbirdRose
January 9th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Before I was able to get all my layers in a peacock twist I would use a small or mini flexi-8 to keep my shortest front layers up.

cdonald2
January 10th, 2015, 10:33 PM
I thought peacock twists left your ends exposed?

skeletonous
January 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM
^ they do however they're not brushing against anything so I'd say they're decently protected as long as it's not super windy.

lazuliblue
January 11th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I didn't start doing proper protective hairstyles until I was about APL, so unless your hair is very fragile I'd imagine that it will be ok until then. I used to just tie it up with elastics, use nice scrunchies (they are less damaging) and Dutch braid pigtails.

skeletonous
January 11th, 2015, 08:28 AM
That's good to know :) I personally worry about it rubbing on my shirt/jacket collars when it's down, so I try to keep it in a ponytail (I use foldover elastics, scrunchies, claw clips, etc.) or clipped up in some way.