PDA

View Full Version : Hi all :) Just done a big chop a few weeks ago and its really chunky/thick?!

stephy190
January 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Would be great to get some advice :)
I got my hair cut into a bob (sort of bottom of neck length, not yet shoulder) and want to grow it out.. but its so thick! Like really bulky hair chunks that won't straighten and look just like big unmanageable chunks.. I got it cut to this length due to bad hair sheers experience (they shredded all the hairs) and the hairdresser just went crazy with them.. so now I've got a bob that's unmanageable.. I went last week and got layers put in and the weight taken out of the bottom, but maybe she didn't take enough weight out as its a bit better but still chunky.. is there anything else I can do apart from thinning shears ? Or will it all just become more normal and not chunky when it grows out ? My hair has always been long before this and ive never had chunky hair problems before getting a bob lol!
Any advice would be appreciated J

I also don't wanna cut any more length off.. cause ive just been cutting it loads lol is this something I just have to wait out and the chunkiness will go away or will I have to get more weight taken out ?

spidermom
January 9th, 2015, 12:41 PM
I vote no thinning shears; they make ends pop out all over the place.

Just grow. The added weight will calm down the chunkiness.

Try styles with head-bands or pulling the sides up and back with pretty clips/pins. You can even braid the sides back, especially if you master lace braiding.

Happy growing!

Sharysa
January 9th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I'd like a picture of your hair if possible. Your avatar looks perfectly normal in thickness, and most people tend to confuse "thick" hair with "VOLUMINOUS" hair. Most thick hair doesn't look poofy unless it's extremely short--it's actually pretty flat most of the time because it's weighing itself down.

However, you may have at least a little bit of wave in your hair because "chopping hair = UNMANAGEABLE" is a near-ubiquitous sign of waves/curls that are no longer weighed down properly. Do you straighten your hair a lot?

Night_Kitten
January 10th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I'd say don't cut or thin, as your eventual goal is growing it out, and thinning will mean dealing with taper and plenty of tiny layers later on...
Perhaps oiling or putting some product can help make it look better while you're growing it out? Or like spidermom suggested use hairtoys?

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 02:29 PM
If you want to grow hair, first rule of thumb is: do not trim it. I've read you cut a lot of hair since you been on here. That's for sure not the way to go, I'm sorry to say. :) But here you are with your new bob. Nothing you can do now but grow it out.

What's the texture of your hair?

PraiseCheeses
January 10th, 2015, 02:58 PM
If your hair's really thick and was just chopped off bluntly, you might find that beveling or slightly thinning just the last inch or two can really help it lie correctly. Even if your hair isn't super thick, that shaping of just the last inch or two can really make a difference - and it won't significantly delay the growing out process.

The chunkiness will go away as your hair gets longer; all hair grows and sheds at slightly different rates, so the lines will soften with time. I've had this happen many times when I'd get layers at a salon - for the first month or so I'd feel like they were really blocky, but they'd be much softer around the end of month 2. My layered cuts always looked best two months in.