PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if i have build up/losing curl

Chocowalnut
January 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM
My hair has been kind of weird recently and I am trying to figure out what's going on with it. Basically for the past couple months my hair has been drying very straight-ish, like 2b or so with the roots like completely straight, and very flat and limp. Before this my hair has always been at least 2c with some parts 3a- the bangs especially would curl up into defined 3a ringlets. Now the bangs dry like barely wavy. I don't think it's because it's getting longer because my hair has been longer and curlier than this before. I have a couple theories to why it's happening but wanted some others' opinions. I think it might be because of the weather- is that possible? Like in high humidity my hair curls up more and it has been winter here. But yet my hair did not do this last winter. My other theory was it could be build up, but I don't know how exactly that feels either.What's the best way to clarify without damage? I was also wondering if it could just be my genetics or diet or something but idk. I don't think it's happening from damage or anything like that this is the healthiest my hair has probably ever been- except for the fact it seems like it's thinning a lot, and it feels soft when it dries. Is there anyone else who has had this problem or thinks that they can offer any advice? :)

picklepie
January 9th, 2015, 01:30 AM
Buy some clarifying shampoo, do a wash followed with a moisturizing conditioner, and see how it dries? If there's hard water in your area, you could try a chelating "swimmers" shampoo. Results after clarifying are always informative.

Bambi
January 9th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Buy some clarifying shampoo, do a wash followed with a moisturizing conditioner, and see how it dries? If there's hard water in your area, you could try a chelating "swimmers" shampoo. Results after clarifying are always informative.

I agree, also do you do ACV-rinses?

Hotrox
January 9th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Your hair, migh in fact, be over moisturised. Do you use any protein containing products? When my curls need a boost I use a protein heavy conditioner, it always has them popping back up!

lapushka
January 9th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I'd try clarifying. You can't but try and see what it does. And clarifying is always the first thing that pops up when hair starts to behave a little "off".

Chocowalnut
January 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I've tried using acv on my hair a few times before but not within the past 2 months I have used a hot oil treatment last week which has protein in it though I think. And I will try clarifying then and see what happens thanks for the replies

GRU
January 10th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Hormones can change things, too -- when nursing my son, my bangs didn't curl *at all*... he weaned and they started growing in curly again.

Thyroid issues will affect your hair, too.

And for terminology clarification -- oil is only oil, not protein. I see people saying, "use coconut oil, it has protein in it" when it doesn't -- oil is oil, protein is protein.

And for me personally, protein is more likely to make my hair brittle and dry, rather than curly. YMMV.