PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for curls to lose their shape?

BeepBooop
January 7th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I don't know if this happens to everyone or if I haven't perfected my routine yet, but putting my hair up in buns and braids makes me lose most of my shape. :rant:While I do keep some shape, it's a more limpy and stringy version of my curls. An example of what I mean:

This is my hair several hours after my routine and soon after scrunching as much of the crunchiness out. It looks pretty soft, but it was actually crunchy (LA Looks Sports gel is to blame).

http://i.imgur.com/G5kiHUY.jpg?1

This is my hair before bed after wearing it in a relatively loose and simple bun. It still has some shape, but it lost the parts that I love:(

http://i.imgur.com/DutKA6T.jpg?1

My current routine gives me mediocre results (in my opinion), and I am currently in the process of finding the perfect products for me.

My current routine is:
V05 as cowash and leave-in
Coconut oil , occasional (there is little difference whether or not I use it)
Gel (I don't have a favorite gel, but I'm liking Cantu Shea Butter Twist and Lock gel)

So, I don't know if it's A) my routine B) my products or C) it happens to everyone

Nadine <3
January 7th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I don't have curly hair, but I would think that's pretty normal for the curls to be stretched out after being in a bun. Maybe you could try dampening it and re scrunching?

kitschy
January 7th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Yes it is totally normal. I lose the fullness and body in my hair too, so that it seems thin and lifeless after I take down my updo.

Red'N'Curly
January 7th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I'm not going to be any help, because my curls do the same thing. And they fall out over time, so by day 7 I'm wavy instead of curly. But I just wanted to say WOW! Your curls are to die for! In both pics. And that you still have so much curl at that length! You have goddess hair.:thud:

meteor
January 7th, 2015, 09:30 PM
I don't have curly hair, but I would think that's pretty normal for the curls to be stretched out after being in a bun. Maybe you could try dampening it and re scrunching?

^ This.
I think re-wetting again and using the right curl creme or other finishing product should help a bit.

BeepBooop
January 7th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Nadine <3, I also assumed curly hair would get a little stretched out, I just didn't expect to lose that much shape. I also completely forgot to mention that the second picture was taken after dampening and rescrunching :doh:

kitschy, My hair not only becomes limp and lifeless, but looks like it's about to form dreadlocks!

Red'N'Curly, Thank you so much for the compliment! I always feel like I could use some more definition at the top of my head.

meteor, I did re-wet my hair in the second photo, but I haven't thought of reapplying gel. I think a spray gel would be best for second-day hair.

lapushka
January 8th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Yes, my waves do that same thing. They sag after a week of updos. You can't do anything about it. Why not wear your hair out on day 1 and 2, and then start the updos to finish the week.

jeanniet
January 8th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Yes, totally normal. My hair gets flattened and pushed out of shape overnight, but a little reschrunching with conditioner and water resets the curls. My hair tends to get a bit curlier between washes, I guess because of adding water/conditioner to it, but also a little fuzzier each day. Still working on maintaining shape while minimizing the fuzziness.

BeepBooop
January 8th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Yes, my waves do that same thing. They sag after a week of updos. You can't do anything about it. Why not wear your hair out on day 1 and 2, and then start the updos to finish the week.

I think a ponytail would be better for me, I don't like the idea of my hair in my face and on my neck. :uhh: The problem for me is my hair loses its curl hours after I put it up on the day I washed it. :(

Yes, totally normal. My hair gets flattened and pushed out of shape overnight, but a little reschrunching with conditioner and water resets the curls. My hair tends to get a bit curlier between washes, I guess because of adding water/conditioner to it, but also a little fuzzier each day. Still working on maintaining shape while minimizing the fuzziness.

How long can you go between washes? I don't normally reapply conditioner because I am one of the laziest people around.:oops:

I guess I'll reapply my conditioner and wear my hair in a ponytail when I want my curls to shine. :eyebrows:

Knifegill
January 8th, 2015, 11:04 AM
I like my day 1 curls the best, too. But getting hair rather wet and rescrunching/resetting the curls works really well.

ladyjulia
January 8th, 2015, 11:08 AM
My hair is very wavy but once I put it in a Cinnabon or something else this happens to me too so yes It is normal. If you wanted more curl just re-wet them.

Atira
January 8th, 2015, 11:17 AM
Normal. My hair goes almost straight if I bun it at all and even straightens if worn in a pony.

jeanniet
January 8th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I think a ponytail would be better for me, I don't like the idea of my hair in my face and on my neck. :uhh: The problem for me is my hair loses its curl hours after I put it up on the day I washed it. :(

How long can you go between washes? I don't normally reapply conditioner because I am one of the laziest people around.:oops:

I guess I'll reapply my conditioner and wear my hair in a ponytail when I want my curls to shine. :eyebrows:

I usually wash about every 3 days. I can go as long as 5 if conditions are just right (not often, lol). I don't always use conditioner, but if my hair feels a little dry I'll use some. Generally it's only about 1/4 teaspoon, and I mix it with water so it's easy to distribute. I'm lazy, too, so it can't take too much time or room. I have little pump bottles of water and conditioner (separate), so it's pretty easy.

BeepBooop
January 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Intending to follow the advice I received, I decided to wash my hair yesterday and it came out like this

http://i.imgur.com/Fgnx91i.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/FMm1C8y.jpg?1

By the end of the day, my hair became limp. Today, I dampened my hair and reapplied a bit of my conditioner and gel. It came out like this

http://i.imgur.com/eZO9oJC.jpg?1

Thanks to all of you for your help and reassurance:)

curlylocks85
January 12th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Mine does the same, unless I add water. I just grow with the flow. :)

mamaherrera
January 12th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Yes it kills me to see the transofrmation every day. So big with volume on wash day, and then I sleep with a braid, and it looks like I lost half my hair overnight (volume) and I get stringly lifeless clumps. I've tried rewetting, but it's just not the same for me, anyways. They never get as pumped with volume/AIR as on wash day.

Anje
January 12th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Totally normal. Extreme curlies will often bun or braid expressly for the purpose of stretching out their curls.

terylenerose
January 12th, 2015, 08:39 PM
This happens to me too, but more so; IMHO your hair looks quite curly in all the pictures you posted. I don't get too bothered about it because leaving my hair in a state where curls matter is always impractical.