PDA

View Full Version : What's causing these splitends?

diddiedaisy
January 6th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with splits but only at the front sides of my hair. My hair is now long enough to check the back and I rarely find one there.

Here's my routine, daily wash and condition, when I remove my towel I apply redken anti snap then a serum, then gently comb through hair, it's never tangly at this point, leave to air dry, put up. I swap between a protein conditioner and a moisturising one. I never brush my hair and if I get any tangles I always apply a serum or oil before I comb it. I deep condition probably every two weeks and overnight oil a couple of times a week. Once a month I blow dry straight on low heat for length pics, I never use irons or tongs. Oh and I dye my roots blonde every 4-6 weeks.

The splits are always at the ends and are the bog standard v shaped ones. I don't have the option just to take a cm off overall as I am lucky to find two hairs the same length. (Shed recovery). The last five inches of hair are a million different lengths. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks

Anje
January 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM
I get splits in the front sides too. To some extent, I figure it's a product of relatively fine hairs that get a lot of handling. Those are the hair that get played with, are in the outside of ponytails, flipped back over the shoulders, wrapped around buttons, rubbed in zippers, etc. It's a lot for those little hair to take!

Now for me, protein more than a few times a year makes my hair tangle faster than I can detangle it and generally be awful, but your hair might well be more cooperative about such things. Still, look at things like tangles and where the splits are must dense compared to where your hair ties hit. I think you have a source of friction here somewhere, and tracking it down will help you.

luvlonghair75
January 6th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I just recently heard that using terry cloth towels on wet hair can actually cause the hair to tear, causing split ends!! So instead of twisting wet, fragile hair into a towel, try using a cotton tee shirt to absorb extra moisture. I've been doing this lately and noticing alot less tangles and smoother hair.

lunalocks
January 6th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Do you sleep on your side? That could contribute.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Do you wear a sleeping cap to protect your hair while you sleep?

diddiedaisy
January 7th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. Anje, I think the protein moisture I have going at the minute is working ok for me as my hair feels healthy. Luvlonghair75, Lunalocks and Sarahlabyrinth, I am a side sleeper, but I don't want to wear a cap for bed, it would drive me nuts!!! Also, I turn a lot at night so I'd probably need to superglue it on. I'll try french braiding it to protect it better. And replace my terry towel with a microfibre towel.

sjlaurence
January 8th, 2015, 04:10 AM
Diddiedaisy, I also can't stand things on my head while I sleep. Try a silk/satin pillowcase instead: all of the benefits none of the frustration.

Hotrox
January 8th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Yes, silk pillowcase for the win!!

Also, is there anything causing mechanical damage/friction on these hairs? Are they rubbing on your clothes, seat back, catching on your bag straps? Try being extra observant for a few days and see if you notice anything that could be damaging them. Even how you are putting it up could cause damage, do you vary the style, position and securing method often?

Annalouise
January 8th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Zoiks! You probably don't want to know what I think but your hair is Fine, and its armpit length correct? If you dye your hair then by the time that hair is 3-4 years old? (How old is armpit hair length? Depends on your height and how much you trim annually)..., by the time your hair is x many years old that might be the time that your hair shows the wear and tear of the dying.
I don't recommend people with Fine hair to dye it because its too fragile if you want to achieve LONG lengths. Fine hair is very fragile. I can't repeat that enough times. Often fine hair doesn't even have a medulla (center core). So when you chemically treat that hair with dye it WILL damage it. The question is....how long can that hair grow before it starts to break apart because of the damage to the cuticle.

Granted, there are folks with hair past classic length who dye their hair but I don't believe I've ever seen such hairs that are Fine. Probably Medium to Coarse hair.
If anyone knows an ultra long fine hair that dyed their hair all along the way let me know.:)

diddiedaisy
January 8th, 2015, 11:11 AM
I may try a silk pillowcase. They are also more pronounced on the longer face framing layers too, so it could be that.

As for dying my hair, unfortunately that's here to stay. I'm a natural blonde who has typically gone darker, and although I've tried to live my new colour for about 15 years until I started to dye, it just doesn't suit me. My skin tone was made to go with blonde hair and nothing will change that!!!! Also as I'm in my mid 40's the greys have started coming and I'm not ready to live with them yet. Actually, they've come through white so at some point the transition will be good. Thirdly the longer hair at the back is showing no signs of damage so I don't think it's the dye. Plus, being a finey I'm not planning on the super lengths, but we all know the dangers and moving goal posts of being on lhc :)

I'll give the towel change and pillowcase a whirl and see if that helps.

Thanks

diddiedaisy
January 8th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I may try a silk pillowcase. They are also more pronounced on the longer face framing layers too, so it could be that.

As for dying my hair, unfortunately that's here to stay. I'm a natural blonde who has typically gone darker, and although I've tried to live my new colour for about 15 years until I started to dye, it just doesn't suit me. My skin tone was made to go with blonde hair and nothing will change that!!!! Also as I'm in my mid 40's the greys have started coming and I'm not ready to live with them yet. Actually, they've come through white so at some point the transition will be good. Thirdly the longer hair at the back is showing no signs of damage so I don't think it's the dye. Plus, being a finey I'm not planning on the super lengths, but we all know the dangers and moving goal posts of being on lhc :)

I'll give the towel change and pillowcase a whirl and see if that helps.

Thanks

thirstylocks
January 8th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Is it necessary to wash every day ? You can try stretching washes. I've started washing twice a week and already see a difference!