PDA

View Full Version : Need short hair, no heat styling advice...

Belle Paix
January 6th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I hope this question isn't posted somewhere else already, and if it is; I sincerely apologize! :)
Here goes:
I have short, mid-neck length hair. I can manipulate it into a ponytail-ish look, with oodles of bobbypins, but it's not a comfortable, everyday look. The ends flip out when my hair dries naturally. Like, FLIPS.OUT. But I'd really, really like to go the no heat styling route since my hair is all virgin anyway, and I'd like to keep it as healthy as possible. Does anyway have any suggestions with this?? Once it's long enough, say three months more, it won't be much of an issue. But for now....it's an annoyance.
Thanks in advance!!

ickle_cat
January 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM
have you tried over-night curling methods? I've found one that I really like with my current hair length and type so it might take a bit of experimenting to get one you like. Look on YouTube or How To Hair Girl for some of the methods or search the web for terms like "vintage curls" and "overnight heatless curls". Rag curls, pin curls and using socks and straws are all terms you might see used.

Another option is victory rolls, you can pop one in the front of your hair assuming you have about 4 inches at the front. You don't necessarily need to curl it before-hand like some tutorials will tell you to do, see how it goes without it and secure it with a couple of bobby pins and some hairspray if you want. If you don't want the drama of the victory roll then you can pin a quiff up with a simple twist.

You can use pin curls as a style as well at almost any length, or try finger waves.

Another option I used when my hair was really short was french braids. I find that these work in really short or layered hair. It can be nice to do a french braid just around one side of your head and pin the ends behind your ear, I did that with hair that was about 3-4 inches all over! Waterfall braids can be good for the same sort of length.

For just keeping it all up and back I like the french braid(s) into ponytail or bun look, this is great if your hair is layered as it incorporates the short layers without giving you the fluffy braid from your nape downwards because the layers are all fluffing out.

Failing any of the above, buy some nice headbands and pretty clips!

Hopefully I've given you some ideas x

ickle_cat
January 6th, 2015, 03:13 PM
have you tried over-night curling methods? I've found one that I really like with my current hair length and type so it might take a bit of experimenting to get one you like. Look on YouTube or How To Hair Girl for some of the methods or search the web for terms like "vintage curls" and "overnight heatless curls". Rag curls, pin curls and using socks and straws are all terms you might see used.

Another option is victory rolls, you can pop one in the front of your hair assuming you have about 4 inches at the front. You don't necessarily need to curl it before-hand like some tutorials will tell you to do, see how it goes without it and secure it with a couple of bobby pins and some hairspray if you want. If you don't want the drama of the victory roll then you can pin a quiff up with a simple twist.

You can use pin curls as a style as well at almost any length, or try finger waves.

Another option I used when my hair was really short was french braids. I find that these work in really short or layered hair. It can be nice to do a french braid just around one side of your head and pin the ends behind your ear, I did that with hair that was about 3-4 inches all over! Waterfall braids can be good for the same sort of length.

For just keeping it all up and back I like the french braid(s) into ponytail or bun look, this is great if your hair is layered as it incorporates the short layers without giving you the fluffy braid from your nape downwards because the layers are all fluffing out.

Failing any of the above, buy some nice headbands and pretty clips!

Hopefully I've given you some ideas x

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I'm just wondering, is the flipping out so ugly? It may be that you are the only one who thinks so.

velorutionista
January 6th, 2015, 03:52 PM
one of the first "up" styles I was able to do when I grew out my super short hair was double french braids--you could also try lace braiding just around your face if you just need to keep hair back out of your face (kind of like making your own headband of hair). Good luck! This stage is kinda fussy, but it gets better soon!

Alexa
January 6th, 2015, 03:53 PM
My hair is slightly wavy, but I always thought it was straight and just flipped out strangely. It drove me crazy for years! Could it be yours is waiver than you think? Now I use a modified Curly Girl method and am much happier with my hair than when I tried just combing it after showering or even using heat. I use a wee bit of soft-hold gel to give the hair some structure as it dries, scrunch it, and use the curved palms of my hands to gently encourage the ends to curl in instead of out as it air dries. It's very simple, I can brush through it (no crunch) when it dries, and for the first time in my life I'm enjoying my natural hair!

velorutionista
January 6th, 2015, 04:03 PM
woops, double post.

Belle Paix
January 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM
You guys are awesome!! Maybe it is curlier than I think...? I know I have some wave in my hair, and maybe there's more there than I give it credit for. It's been five years, after all, since it's been at this length. I love the idea of french braids, and I'll have to experiment with that this weekend. I also love the idea of pin up curls...but as hectic as everything is, I don't know that I have the patience for it :-P

tokugawa.miyako
January 6th, 2015, 04:10 PM
This sounds really familiar; my hair does the exact same thing at that length! Back when that used to happen I would sometimes put it in pigtails in the back. They stayed in much better than one ponytail. I also sometimes did a half-up ponytail higher up on my head, which made the flipping out less noticeable on the sides. A lot of the time though, I did just use a straightener or learned to live with the flip. The good news is, the obnoxious flip with eventually morph into lovely waves with a little patience!

Lady Mary
January 6th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Claw clips, claw clips for days! I'd be lost without them.

lindsayhv
January 6th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Can you post a pic of this "flip"

two_wheels
January 6th, 2015, 06:39 PM
I had this issue. I used to pin it flat while it was wet and wait for it to dry. Then it would dry straight. I don't know if the pinning was less damaging than heat, but it definitely worked. Looked rather silly while it dried of course!

Belle Paix
January 6th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I had this issue. I used to pin it flat while it was wet and wait for it to dry. Then it would dry straight. I don't know if the pinning was less damaging than heat, but it definitely worked. Looked rather silly while it dried of course!
Ooo...I like this idea!!!

Flowerness
January 6th, 2015, 11:46 PM
I second the claw clip idea. (I love that look on short hair, myself.) I used to twist my hair up into a claw clip damp, and go about my day or errands. When I'd take it down, I'd have a barrel curl there. Or, if I wanted my hair straight, but to just turn under instead of every which direction, I would use large size velcro rollers. I would detangle my hair when damp and put 2 or 3 of them in my hair- in only the top layer (doing my whole head would take forever!), being careful to tuck the ends under. I would only do the top part of my hair, so that my hair could do whatever it wanted, but still have a smooth top, with body, that curled under. This saved me time and having to use the curling iron. The last time I blow dried my hair straight, I used them in my hair, carefully keeping them in place until my hair was actually dry (I used to blow dry part of the way dry) with claw clips for my thick hair.

I hope that velcro rollers are an okay heat-free curling method. (Maybe some of the more experienced ladies here would know?)

Belle Paix
January 7th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I second the claw clip idea. (I love that look on short hair, myself.) I used to twist my hair up into a claw clip damp, and go about my day or errands. When I'd take it down, I'd have a barrel curl there. Or, if I wanted my hair straight, but to just turn under instead of every which direction, I would use large size velcro rollers. I would detangle my hair when damp and put 2 or 3 of them in my hair- in only the top layer (doing my whole head would take forever!), being careful to tuck the ends under. I would only do the top part of my hair, so that my hair could do whatever it wanted, but still have a smooth top, with body, that curled under. This saved me time and having to use the curling iron. The last time I blow dried my hair straight, I used them in my hair, carefully keeping them in place until my hair was actually dry (I used to blow dry part of the way dry) with claw clips for my thick hair.

I hope that velcro rollers are an okay heat-free curling method. (Maybe some of the more experienced ladies here would know?)

I went and stocked up on the claw clips last night :). And thank you for the velcro roller idea....I think I have some stashed around somewhere. Must try to dig them out this weekend!