PDA

View Full Version : how often do you use masks/deep condition

Baby_doll
January 6th, 2015, 02:17 PM
i wouldn't call the mask type thing i mix up a "deep conditioner" just because its primarily oils, i mix aloe vera gel (fruit of the earth) almond oil, a few drops of glycerin, olive oil, and a tiny bit of coconut oil, in with a bit of water and wet my hair, put it on, wrap my head in a plastic bag (so attractive:cool:) and put my boyfriends beanie over it. i let that sit for about a hour, then wash. I'm not sure if that's considered deep conditioning but i do it at least once a week, or every other wash.
tooo the question part: how often do you deep condition or use a mask type thing, what do you use? and for what reason do you us the things in it for?:confused:

Islandgrrl
January 6th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure I've ever deep conditioned. Unless you count a henna gloss.

Madora
January 6th, 2015, 02:47 PM
My hair has never been deep conditioned except for my 3 visits to the GM salon (last one 26 years ago).

woodswanderer
January 6th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I think never.....too much like work for me. Maybe when I finally get around to trying henna gloss.

Longtale
January 6th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I use a deep conditioner but not on a regular basics. Once or twice a month then will skip a few months, so nothing formal.

Years ago, about the only one I knew of was called Clairol deep conditioner, came in a small white tub. You would scoop out a portion and let it sit on your hair for I think 20 minutes? It's been awhile. I do remember it seemed to smell nice. And it seemed to thicken my hair. I liked it.

I don't know that I've used anything called a "mask" but have seen them in packs at the store. I've used mayonnaise, wouldn't do that again. Egg, wouldn't do that again either. I lean more toward oils if conditioning. Using what is on hand, olive, coconut, suntan oil, etc.

Hibernis
January 6th, 2015, 03:21 PM
I do SMT 2-3 times a month right now, but its also winter. If my hair starts getting tangles, it's moisture time. I only wash every 5-7 days

sarahthegemini
January 6th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Never. Since I started co-washing (back in September 2013) I haven't needed too. I think they're generally a marketing gimmick anyway. Most 'masks' and 'deep conditioners ' are no different to ordinary conditioners.

Katrina
January 6th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Never? I put coconut oil on my hair at least an hour before wash, but that is all.

FallingDarkness
January 6th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I think that mainly using oils DOES count as deep conditioner, and I deep condition before EVERY wash (once a week, but at most every 9 days). I love putting coconut oil on my hair and bunning it and leaving it in for 24 hours before I wash my hair, and as a result my hair is luxuriously soft. Traumatizing moment today: My friend touched my hair because they thought it looked really soft! And then they claimed that it was really soft, and so I glared at them and told them to stop touching my hair lol. That's the punishment for wearing your hair down I guess.
Anyways, I think that deep conditioning is very beneficial.

Bambi
January 7th, 2015, 01:22 AM
I oil my hair before every schampooing I do, which is once a week. The reason is that I have old bleached parts that need that extra TLC. I mostly use EVO because my hair love it, if I have more time I'll use a mixture of honey, EVO and conditioner and let it stay in my hair over night.:).

xAlicex
January 7th, 2015, 01:53 AM
I'd never really considered it before, until a friend bought me a Dove mask for Christmas this year. I mix it half and half with honey in my palm, apply, and let it sit for 10 mins in the bath. I do this every other was/about weekly. It smells amazing although I'm not sure I could use it in the summer too!

I'm currently trying to remove/lighten henna so my hair really needs it after some pretty intense treatments, that's the main reason I use it. Also the honey is supposed to lighten it slightly - I'm not sure how well that's going!

hanne jensen
January 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM
I'll heavily oil my hair a day or two before hairwash. When I remember I'll sometimes use a 3 minute moisturizing mask.

luvlonghair75
January 7th, 2015, 05:28 AM
I oil mine about once, maybe twice a week with coconut and castor oil.

embee
January 7th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Never. Ever. In my entire life, not just TLHC part of my life. Never had it done *to* me either.

Johannah
January 7th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I heavy oil my hair and leave it overnight. Except that... Never actually. The only 'deep conditioning' I do is leaving my normal conditioner in my hair for 10 minutes.

Larki
January 7th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Once a week, if I can. Sometimes (like now) circumstances prevent me from doing it, but I try to do it once a week. I love it. :)

YvetteVarie
January 8th, 2015, 01:16 AM
I deep condition every time I wash my hair (at least once a week). My hair type gets dry so easily, and deep conditioning is one of the best ways to keep it moisturized

Nettyx
January 8th, 2015, 04:09 AM
I use coconut oil about once a week as a deep treatment (I have OSC so am obsessive about washing and struggling to get out of the habit of daily hair washing). Occasionally I will use Lush Retread conditioner if my hair is feeling crunchy but I have run out and I think coconut oil is better for me. I may try EVO next.

GoblinTart
January 8th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I use a mix of castor and coconut oil, slather it in, bun it and leave it there until my next shower. My hair has been loving this. I do it probably 2 or 3 times a week.

lady mechanic
January 8th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I deep condition whenever my hair needs it which is usually once or twice a week. I just use a store bought deep conditioner then seal it with oil

curiouskitty
January 8th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I do a hot coconut oil massage/mask on my hair once every two weeks. If I do it too often, my hair begins to depend on it to not dry out completely. I leave the oil in over night, under a shower cap. Gives my hair a much needed moisture/protein boost.