PDA

View Full Version : Static Solution

raingirl
January 6th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Is there a good solution for static in winter? I presume it's due to cold dry air combined with wearing fuzzy hats.

I have super thin fine hair that gets greasy/oily quick so I don't use any product as it just weighs my hair down. Just SLS free wash and coney condish daily in the mornings. Right now my hair is too short to do any braids or anything.

Hopeful65
January 6th, 2015, 07:37 AM
One thing I do is run my wet hands (with just water) over my hair. It immediately stops the static, but it is temporary of course.
I tried a static spray once, but just didn't like the smell, and it didn't seem to work any better than my water trick.
Misting with a spray bottle would help too.
I have fine hair as well, and always have static when it's cold outside/warm inside. Drives me nuts, so the water trick gives relief.
I've heard of running a dryer sheet over your hair, but I've never tried it. I would think it would work well though.

Madora
January 6th, 2015, 07:55 AM
You might try a drop of Mineral Oil (aka Baby Oil). Put it on your hands, then run your hands through your hair several times. Mineral oil is very lightweight, washes out easily in your next shampoo. It is also a great detangler and conditioner. Best of all, it is cheap. While best used on hair that has been clarified first, you can use it on damp hair, or even dry hair. Use it sparingly! Your hair is short, so one drop should do nicely. And MO is known for helping tame frizzies.

Sterlyn
January 6th, 2015, 07:56 AM
I use a dryer sheet, it seems to work rather well. I usually only use it in the winter when my fine hair can literally start to levitate with static. ;)

raingirl
January 6th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Yeah, the MO doesn't work for me. It weighs down my hair, even just a dab on my hand from a qtip lightly dipped, then rubbing my hands so it's so thin is too heavy for my hair. Just the natural oils from my hands ruin my hair a few hours after washing (I compulsively run my fingers through my hair all day). But even when my hair is oily, it still gets static. :(

Guess it's just a cold weather thing we need to deal with.

meteor
January 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Is there a good solution for static in winter? I presume it's due to cold dry air combined with wearing fuzzy hats.

I have super thin fine hair that gets greasy/oily quick so I don't use any product as it just weighs my hair down. Just SLS free wash and coney condish daily in the mornings. Right now my hair is too short to do any braids or anything.

Static-y hair happens when the hair is too dry, so running a few drops of water and/or oil or a laundry sheet removes the static right away.
However, in the long run, I'd look for more in-depth solutions. For example, you can:
- avoid static-inducing materials around your hair (wool, flannel, acrylic, etc) - if you wear a fuzzy hat, use a silk lining/scarf underneath, and consider hoods;
- sleep on silk/satin or other smooth materials;
- don't brush your hair too much with nylon/plastic bristles and other brushes/combs that cause static - use a wooden/horn comb instead.
- do pre-poo oilings or light leave-in oilings regularly;
- condition more thoroughly in winter to weigh down and moisturize your hair more (use bigger amounts of conditioner than shampoo or do double-conditioning);
- shampoo less frequently (daily shampooing might be removing too much of your natural oils leaving your hair too "stripped" and more likely to get static-y).

Personally, even though we have ridiculously dry winters here, I haven't experienced static in years due to no brushing, oiling my hair and conditioning it more intensely.

Anje
January 6th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Best thing for me, honestly, is to contain my hair when it's still a wee bit damp. Mist it a smidge, enough to get the static down, then bun it or braid it. That helps keep the moisture in and the hair halo from forming too much.

On the other hand, fleece hats are amazing for generating static. Because, you know, sometimes this is fun too. (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/tn/TNOAKenergy1_prov.jpg)

LongHairLesbian
January 6th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Static-y hair happens when the hair is too dry, so running a few drops of water and/or oil or a laundry sheet removes the static right away.
However, in the long run, I'd look for more in-depth solutions. For example, you can:
- avoid static-inducing materials around your hair (wool, flannel, acrylic, etc) - if you wear a fuzzy hat, use a silk lining/scarf underneath, and consider hoods;
- don't brush your hair too much with nylon/plastic bristles and other brushes/combs that cause static - use a wooden/horn comb instead.
- condition more thoroughly in winter to weigh down and moisturize your hair more (use bigger amounts of conditioner than shampoo or do double-conditioning);
- shampoo less frequently (daily shampooing might be removing too much of your natural oils leaving your hair too "stripped" and more likely to get static-y).

Personally, even though we have ridiculously dry winters here, I haven't experienced static in years due to no brushing, oiling my hair and conditioning it more intensely.

Perfect post. :applause I also haven't experienced much static this year (and I used to get A LOT), which is definitely to do with the fact that I've laid off the brush, and have been wearing my hair up when I'm outside.

raingirl
January 6th, 2015, 12:40 PM
I think with my hair I would prefer static to oily. Even just a smidge weighs it down so much. Darn my thin baby fine hair! I don't use dryer sheets so that's not an option. I guess I just water it down a bit when I get to work and deal with static on the train/commute. It's too short to put up yet...

velorutionista
January 6th, 2015, 01:42 PM
If I'm getting a lot of static in my hair, I mist it occasionally (mostly just the ends, not so much near the scalp) with a very dilute mixture of aloe gel and water. It weighs the ends down enough (and the aloe is "sticky" enough) that it usually takes care of static for several hours. I wouldn't recommend running your hands through your hair with it there, though, if you're prone to develop greasies from products.

teddygirl
January 6th, 2015, 07:34 PM
I second the dryer sheets. Inexpensive, and you can get scented or unscented. I just carry one around in my purse lol.

ooglipoo
January 6th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Get a humidifier for your bedroom? That seems to help me.

curiouskitty
January 7th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Wooden brushes! I had problems with static a few months back, and my favorite YouTuber suggested using a wooden brush. Wooden brushes are great: not only do they never cuase static; they also help distribute natural oils from the scalp down the hair shaft without all the friction that a boar bristle brush tends to cause.

snolol
December 23rd, 2019, 07:12 PM

Ah, thank you! These are great suggestions.
I am always so nervous to over-condition my hair because it gets oily very quickly.
You're right, though, in the winter I seem to be able to get away with adding more product than I can in the hotter / more humid months.

Groovy Granny
December 23rd, 2019, 07:48 PM
Ah, thank you! These are great suggestions.
I am always so nervous to over-condition my hair because it gets oily very quickly.
You're right, though, in the winter I seem to be able to get away with adding more product than I can in the hotter / more humid months.

BIOSILK products have helped me....shampoo/conditioner/serums....especially using just a drop or so of serum at night before braiding, or a light pass in the daytime over fly aways.

I find it gives me adequate moisture balance any time of year; I just adjust the amount as needed.

Welcome ~ enjoy the forum :cheer:.

0xalis
December 24th, 2019, 12:27 AM
I wrap my hair in my satin pillowcase (it acts like a scarf) before putting on a winter hat. If I do it right, you won't even see the satin.
It does give me that "I'm bald under this hat" look but I really just don't care lol. Satin insulates heat well, too! Super warm.

TreesOfEternity
December 24th, 2019, 03:10 AM
I would stay away from plastic combs, use a wooden comb instead as I've experienced that brushes make my hair more oily, or if you brush do it upside down (bending down a little and pulling all the hair fordward).

Also I would use a tiny tiny bit of leave in or something hidrating which doesn't contain oils, like this one:
https://media.meindm.at/asset/dmshop/product_seo_big/ffffff/garnier-fructis-hydra-aloe-air-dry-leave-creme--10038738_B_P.jpg

snolol
December 24th, 2019, 10:31 AM
BIOSILK products have helped me....shampoo/conditioner/serums....especially using just a drop or so of serum at night before braiding, or a light pass in the daytime over fly aways.

I find it gives me adequate moisture balance any time of year; I just adjust the amount as needed.

Welcome ~ enjoy the forum :cheer:.

Thank you!! I will check Biosilk out!

snolol
December 24th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I would stay away from plastic combs, use a wooden comb instead as I've experienced that brushes make my hair more oily, or if you brush do it upside down (bending down a little and pulling all the hair fordward).

Also I would use a tiny tiny bit of leave in or something hidrating which doesn't contain oils, like this one:
https://media.meindm.at/asset/dmshop/product_seo_big/ffffff/garnier-fructis-hydra-aloe-air-dry-leave-creme--10038738_B_P.jpg

Woah your hair in your avatar is so shiny!
We have similar hairtypes! What products are you currently using in your routine and are you / have you ever been cone-free?
Ive been considering giving no-cone a try but have heard so many mixed opinions! Im wondering if itll make my hair even more brittle / static-y...

Deborah
December 25th, 2019, 12:22 PM
I agree with switching to a wooden bristle brush. I have had no static since I bought my WIDU.

TreesOfEternity
December 25th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Woah your hair in your avatar is so shiny!
We have similar hairtypes! What products are you currently using in your routine and are you / have you ever been cone-free?
Ive been considering giving no-cone a try but have heard so many mixed opinions! Im wondering if itll make my hair even more brittle / static-y...

I use shampoos without cones and with sulfates, sometimes coco sulfate sometimes something more harsh, but not an specific brand.

When it comes to masks/conditioners I really dont see a diference: some work for me, some don’t, but it doesnt really depend on them having cones or not. I use both types.

C_Bookworm
December 27th, 2019, 01:48 AM
I wrap my hair in my satin pillowcase (it acts like a scarf) before putting on a winter hat. If I do it right, you won't even see the satin.
It does give me that "I'm bald under this hat" look but I really just don't care lol. Satin insulates heat well, too! Super warm.
I love that! I’ve seen some pretty scarves and hoods that are lined with satin on Etsy...but the price point is steep. Your solution is great.

lapushka
December 27th, 2019, 03:51 AM
To me the key is: moisture, moisture, moisture.

If I condition my hair well, there is *no* static whatsoever. Ever since going on WCC (double conditioning), I have been static-free and I used to get quite the bit of static when I was younger! I also use the LOC/LCO method, so I do some styling on top, on top of a moisturizing leave-in or curl cream. It helps hugely.

The Lizard Wife
December 27th, 2019, 10:32 PM
Switching from a plastic to a wooden comb was a game-changer for me. I completely take for granted now that my hair won't be full of static, and it's wonderful.

The humidifier in my room probably also contributes a lot, come to think of it (I really am a lizard, give me that 50% humidity!). I've had a lot less static when touching metal outside of my house in winter (I used to have a winter reflex where I'd tap a knuckle against the bathroom and locker door at work automatically before I went to touch it properly, because the first touch would always be a decent shock), my winter coats aren't super static-y anymore...so I guess it must have been helping my hair as well.