PDA

View Full Version : Hair around the neck knots badly!

StellaKatherine
January 6th, 2015, 03:11 AM
It looks like I have a new issue with my hair :rolleyes: The hair around my neck started to grow very well. But this hair is very fine and almost curly in texture. The rest of my hair is thicker and more wavy than curly. I would like this neck hair to grow, but it is hard. This hair knots so badly! Actually today I was forced to cut one knot as it was not possible to open it - yup that bad! Can I do anything for it ?

I usually conditioner only the lenght of my hair, maybe I should conditioner my neck as well ? Will it help at all ? Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

emilia1992
January 6th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Yes, I think that conditioner should help. My hair mats up at the neck too, especially if I'm wearing a polo neck top or jumper. Usually I tie my hair in a ponytail, with another band about 2/3 inches further down the tail, and that helps stop any knots from forming, but of course, you might already be doing this or something similar :)

Hotrox
January 6th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Conditioner should help, I also found that putting my hair up in a high bun at night was causing more friction on these fines hairs, so now I do a lower style so they are less exposed. This has really helped with the fairy knots. Necklaces and collars can also cause mechanical damage so it might be worth having a think as to whether you neck hairs are exposed to any damage causing elements and see if you can reduce it.

StellaKatherine
January 6th, 2015, 06:09 AM
I always braid for night. I wonder me combing my hair less than before makes them knot more as well ? Before I was combing 1-2 times per day ( morning and evening ). Now I am trying to keep my waves which do die when brush. Maybe I should go back on combing as well...

Angela_Rose
January 6th, 2015, 06:20 AM
I have some mechanical damage at my nape curls, too. I have to wear a collared shirt for work and I know that doesn't help, but ever since I was a baby, I have had those little curls that never get more than a couple of inches long. I do condition that area, but they've never really grown much.

lapushka
January 6th, 2015, 06:21 AM
I go a week without detangling. My hair never knots at the neck, but your hair might need the detangling - every hair is different. Maybe finger detangling?

Gertrude
January 6th, 2015, 06:29 AM
I don't have curly hair at all, but I concentrate my leave in after washing on the nape area because it's so fine. My hair there does grow longer but not as long and is very fine. It soaks up conditioner and leave in.

StellaKatherine
January 6th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Angela_Rose, the knot I was forced to cut today had some pretty good length hair in . Almost made me cry to cut it. But really I couldn't do nothing else at that stage. I have a feeling this ones could start grow if only I take a better care of them.

lapushka, hmm I could try that. But if it comes to ether combing and loosing waves or cutting knots off, then I would comb ;)

Anje
January 6th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Conditioner should help. Also, are you wearing scarves much for the winter? Having something like that at my neck can affect it for me. (Not that I avoid s scarves when I want them, but it's a consideration.)

StellaKatherine
January 6th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Yeah, it is winter here... today is -25C outside. A warm hat, scarf are both in use. Hmmm... those actually could make the hair tangle more then. But to be honest when it is this cold... The scarf is a MUST! I will try the conditioning more.. maybe it will help

Robot Ninja
January 6th, 2015, 07:08 AM
I get this too, and like Lapushka said, finger-combing helps. I only finger-comb the nape hairs. Wearing a scarf and a wool coat makes it a lot worse, and if you're wearing a lot of sweaters that could be contributing to the problem.

Johannah
January 6th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I've had the same thing. Conditioner was magic!

Angela_Rose
January 6th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Angela_Rose, the knot I was forced to cut today had some pretty good length hair in . Almost made me cry to cut it. But really I couldn't do nothing else at that stage. I have a feeling this ones could start grow if only I take a better care of them.

Doesn't it just kill you to have to snip some length? But in the long run, hair that's been knotted so badly that you have to consider cutting it has already been damaged by the knot and will probably break off anyway.

raingirl
January 6th, 2015, 08:06 AM
I have the same issue. I have to comb all day long to keep it from knotting. My hair is super thin and fine and it will knot up in a big mess just minutes after combing. :(

Madora
January 6th, 2015, 08:13 AM
I always braid for night. I wonder me combing my hair less than before makes them knot more as well ? Before I was combing 1-2 times per day ( morning and evening ). Now I am trying to keep my waves which do die when brush. Maybe I should go back on combing as well...

StellaKatherine, I've found that not combing every day will encourage tangles that are already present to tangle more. So yes, combing less will encourage more tangling, especially in the nape area, where the snarls/tangles are shorter and more stubborn. Those little devils hurt like crazy to deal with. If the tiny hairs are long enough, perhaps you could try using one bobby pin to hold down the errant hair. As far as dealing with them, you might want to try a drop of mineral oil in the problem area (put the oil on your hands, don't apply directly to the scalp). If you want to get down to the real nitty gritties, then try dabbing a bit of mineral oil on the tines of your comb, then gently combing (in the bent at the waist position) to reach those pesky short hairs. A comb gives you better control through your short hairs. Also, if your hair is very fine, then perhaps using a fine tooth comb would be more thorough.

StellaKatherine
January 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
I could really try bobby pins as my hair is definitely long enough on my nape to be pinned up. And will be combing again at least for the winter as I won't be wearing it down anyway. I've been wanting to try the mineral oil - i think it's a good time to do so :D

Anje
January 6th, 2015, 11:01 AM
-25°C, brrrr! Yes, a scarf is sort of a necessity at those temperatures!

It's -12°C here right now, supposed to get to the -20° or -25°C range tomorrow, but it's fairly unusual for the temp here to go below -15°.

LongHairLesbian
January 6th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Urg, nape/neck hair in general is the worst. Mine are definitely finer-textured than the rest of my hair. Anything with a collar, and any jacket, scarf, or hat will matt those hairs up if I'm not careful. Conditioner seems to help, I always put conditioner in that area. But at the end of the day, jackets, scarves, and big winter hats will cause tangles and breakage, and with the weather you have there is not much you can do about it. I live in a very cold climate too, and sometimes I feel like my hair suffers because of it. Dryness and hair static, and your hair inevitably rubs against your warm winter clothes, causing more dryness and static and tangles. Boo to freezing cold weather! :(

sachaa
January 6th, 2015, 11:46 AM
My neck tangles are ALWAYS caused by scarf-wearing. If you wear a scarf, I suggest putting your hair up, or leaving your hair outside of the scarf, if that makes sense?
Just make sure there is no hair between your neck and your scarf

meteor
January 6th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it is winter here... today is -25C outside. A warm hat, scarf are both in use. Hmmm... those actually could make the hair tangle more then. But to be honest when it is this cold... The scarf is a MUST! I will try the conditioning more.. maybe it will help

I agree with advice you already got, especially conditioning and combing... But I really wanted to add: use a silk scarf under your warm scarf! It really makes a huge difference, just like wearing hats with silk linings.
And obviously, wear hair up or always contained in order to limit hair moving and reduce tangles.
Good luck surviving those winters! :D I (and my hair) have troubles with such winter-time too! :grouphug:

Nadine <3
January 6th, 2015, 12:21 PM
My hair does this too. The hair at my nape is super fine and gets really damaged so easily. Recently, I've been paying special attention to those hairs when I condition and then when I put in my olive oil leave in I make sure to concentrate a drop on those hairs. I've discovered that if I keep them oiled enough they just stick to the rest of my hair when I put it up and they don't need to be pinned.

raingirl
January 6th, 2015, 01:55 PM
As soon as your thread came up I remembered this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109530

Mine is short again now so I haven't had to deal with this in a while but I've noticed that now it's getting just at/past my shoulder than I am getting tangles again. I feel your pain!

teddygirl
January 6th, 2015, 07:32 PM
I notice in winter my hair almost mats at the neck due to jackets rubbing. Do you put your hair up with the scarf? Usually if my hair is up it isnt too bad. But down even in a braid it gets tangled.

Kome
January 6th, 2015, 08:55 PM
I would take some conditioner or maybe coconut oil, after your hair dries, and rub it at the base where it is tangling and then run it through. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

RachelRose
January 6th, 2015, 08:59 PM
This ! Grrr I was just thinking about this today . I saw some of my baby neck hairs amd they had splits . What the hell? They're like 5 inches long maybe ... I know my hair rubs my jacket , but dang. It's like darned if you do and darned if you don't . If you wear it down you risk damaging the ends and length and if you put it up you get damage on the underlayer and nape of the neck . I want it all to be protected and short of a silk bag I don't know what to do .

Adiro
January 7th, 2015, 12:37 AM
What Meteor said: add a silk scarf over the bring clothing, be it high turtleneck or underneath a thick wool scarf

lapushka
January 7th, 2015, 05:40 AM
My hair never knots, I think, because it's in an updo like all the time, esp. when I wear scarves. But the tiny nape wispies might tangle a little, I notice that much (darn scarves).