PDA

View Full Version : If it works for me should I keep doing it?

Scelesta
January 6th, 2015, 02:54 AM
I know silly question!

Last week i bought a new shampoo and conditioner..herbal essence Totally Twisted. I've been shampooing and conditioning daily since i bought it. I used to only shampoo once or twice a week, but my scalp didnt agree with that at all so daily shampoo it is. My scalp doesnt itch anymore now so yay!

My hair seems to be in complete love with it. My curls are drying curly not frizzy, and my hair seems to not be tangling as badly and feels less dry. i havent even been using coconut oil each day like i used to, i had to slather on so much to prevent my poor hair from tangling on me when i slept.
I also bought a new wide tooth comb, which i brush my hair out with when its wet, where as before i pretty much only finger combed.

I'm just worried i could damage my hair in the long run, i dont know if the ingredients in this stuff is bad or not for my hair...I just know that i have a VERY hard time finding shampoos and conditioners that my hair likes when i find something i tend to like to stick with it. Its awesome that its cheap to i dont like spending a ton of money on hair products i'm not sure will work...

Hotrox
January 6th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Keep using it, if your hair and scalp are happy then you should also be happy!! Some people never find their perfect products!

I use the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration range, I really rate these products and have not experienced any negative side effects in the year or to I've been using them.

lapushka
January 6th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Keep using it. If your hair and scalp (scalp is *very* important) agree with it, then it's settled. Done. :) Don't doubt it for a second. After all... Anyone know what I'm about to say? :lol: It's not about what we want it's about what our hair wants.

Chiaroscuro
January 6th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Sure, keep using it but be sure to listen to your hair. How does it react to the products over time? If you get build up or dryness or breakage, you may need to clarify once in a while, especially because you are shampooing so often. You also might want to look at other ways to clean the scalp only (such as making your own dry shampoo) so that you don't have to shampoo as often---that can turn into a problem or two in the long run. Lots of daily oil isn't good, either. You can use a scarf or sleep cap plus braiding the hair in sections so that it doesn't tangle at night. Bye.:)

Johannah
January 6th, 2015, 07:13 AM
If it works, keep using it. Simple as that.

Madora
January 6th, 2015, 08:27 AM
If your scalp shows no sign of irritation, then your new products would appear to be fine. However, try washing every other day and see how your scalp responds.

sarahthegemini
January 6th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Sure, keep using it but be sure to listen to your hair. How does it react to the products over time? If you get build up or dryness or breakage, you may need to clarify once in a while, especially because you are shampooing so often. You also might want to look at other ways to clean the scalp only (such as making your own dry shampoo) so that you don't have to shampoo as often---that can turn into a problem or two in the long run. Lots of daily oil isn't good, either. You can use a scarf or sleep cap plus braiding the hair in sections so that it doesn't tangle at night. Bye.:)

Sorry but that doesn't make sense - why would she need to clarify more if she's shampooing more?

Anyway, op - only stop what you're doing if you stop liking how your hair is looking /feeling.

Chiaroscuro
January 6th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Sorry but that doesn't make sense - why would she need to clarify more if she's shampooing more?

Asking me for clarification is one thing. Stating that I didn't make sense is another.

I made sense.

I'm responding with my assumptions of what I think might be going on based on Scelesta's comments. She says she is slathering on "oil each day". And, she says her new shampoo does this: "My curls are drying curly not frizzy, and my hair seems to not be tangling as badly and feels less dry." My GUESS is that the shampoo might have lots of silicones or oil in it. From your experience, what do you think are the various possibilities that would cause a shampoo to have such an effect? Especially based on her liking of oil? If the new shampoo has silicones or oil in it, then the more she uses it, the more the possible build up, and therefore the increased need to clarify.

I think I have very wisely counseled Scelesta to continue to use the shampoo but listen to her hair, and I have told her what might happen and possible solutions to fix it if it does.

My hair should be to my knees in about 6 months barring unforeseen catastrophy or health crisis. Scelesta is at her chin and you are at your armpit. Pardon me, but I think I have years of successful experience upon which to base my claim of making sense.

Robot Ninja
January 6th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Having more hair doesn't automatically make you better at wording things clearly.

That said, Herbal Essences is pretty coney, so Scelesta will probably need to clarify once in a while.

patienceneeded
January 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM
I use Herbal Essences as well, the waves for days version. I've been using HE for about 2 years now. I do clarify every few months, as the combo of cones and oil treatments build up over time. I really like HE and have no plans to stop. My hair is hip length.

Chiaroscuro
January 6th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Having more hair doesn't automatically make you better at wording things clearly.

I said: "If you get build up or dryness or breakage, you may need to clarify once in a while"
What part of that is not clear?

If a person knows shampoos, the rest of the sentence makes perfect sense, too: "especially because you are shampooing so often."
So again, what part is not clear?

If a person does not understand shampoos or something else, why not ask me for clarification instead of telling me my statement doesn't make sense? Put another way, a person could alternatively state that, I [emphasis on EYE] don't understand what you said. Versus telling me my statement doesn't make sense. Being told my statement doesn't make sense seems dismissive to me, and therefore hurtful because I like to think I am a sensible person who makes a good faith effort to communicate clearly in order to help.

And even if I rambled or made a mistake (which I don't think I did), please accept that I, like others I am sure, give advice out of love and caring for others on the long hair journey. Time is precious, so I am sorry if I am succinct or even if I make a mistake, but my advice is given with as much love, care, and thought as I can muster within the time available to me.

Scelesta
January 6th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Thank you :) I'm just stilll surprised to find something that works.

I do in fact have a clarifying shampoo and plan to pay attention and watch for build up, its very much a learning process for me. Build up is in fact something i'm used to cause yes i do have a love of oil and the amounts i had to use was kinda crazy just to keep it slippery, so every week i'd have to clarify it was very much a hassle not having to oil as much or at all is kinda nice.

On a side not i did not know dryness was a sign of build up, that is suprising to me and very good to know.

yogagirl
January 7th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Scelesta, I'm glad you found a way to ease your scalp issues! Did you figure out if you might have SD? That's what jumped out at me when you said the itching happened when you were stretching washes. It sounds like it could be SD. Forgive me if that has been discussed and ruled out in other threads already.

What is helping me with similar issues (itching and increased shed when stretching washes) is using Head & Shoulders roughly once a week. I wash every 3-4 days now and it's working well. When I notice itchiness I make sure to use H&D as soon as possible. If you do want to give this a try, make sure you only apply H&S to your scalp and protect the length with conditioner before applying H&S. It can be a little drying to the length otherwise.

sarahthegemini
January 7th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Asking me for clarification is one thing. Stating that I didn't make sense is another.

I made sense.

I'm responding with my assumptions of what I think might be going on based on Scelesta's comments. She says she is slathering on "oil each day". And, she says her new shampoo does this: "My curls are drying curly not frizzy, and my hair seems to not be tangling as badly and feels less dry." My GUESS is that the shampoo might have lots of silicones or oil in it. From your experience, what do you think are the various possibilities that would cause a shampoo to have such an effect? Especially based on her liking of oil? If the new shampoo has silicones or oil in it, then the more she uses it, the more the possible build up, and therefore the increased need to clarify.

I think I have very wisely counseled Scelesta to continue to use the shampoo but listen to her hair, and I have told her what might happen and possible solutions to fix it if it does.

My hair should be to my knees in about 6 months barring unforeseen catastrophy or health crisis. Scelesta is at her chin and you are at your armpit. Pardon me, but I think I have years of successful experience upon which to base my claim of making sense.

Erm, excuse me? I asked for clarification because I didn't understand what you were saying. No need to be <Mod note: Edited>. Also, you've got almost knee length hair? Congrats, you've been growing it longer than I have. Doesn't mean you know a damn thing more. Ugh. Get off your pedestal.

spidermom
January 7th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that what our scalps need isn't the best for maintaining good condition of the hair. I'm concerned that daily washing may mean that your ends dry out, but scalp health trumps hair condition. I developed seborrheic dermatitis last year and now have to use a medicated shampoo at least once per week. So far my hair seems to be tolerating this moderately well, fingers crossed.

Scelesta
January 10th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Scelesta, I'm glad you found a way to ease your scalp issues! Did you figure out if you might have SD? That's what jumped out at me when you said the itching happened when you were stretching washes. It sounds like it could be SD. Forgive me if that has been discussed and ruled out in other threads already.

What is helping me with similar issues (itching and increased shed when stretching washes) is using Head & Shoulders roughly once a week. I wash every 3-4 days now and it's working well. When I notice itchiness I make sure to use H&D as soon as possible. If you do want to give this a try, make sure you only apply H&S to your scalp and protect the length with conditioner before applying H&S. It can be a little drying to the length otherwise.

I dont think it was ever mentioned (SD that is) that i can recall. i've always had a scalp that got itchy if i didnt wash it for a while, but now even daily washes dont help I'm blaming pregnancy hormones on this. My new shampoo/conditioner is great for my hair and well after a few days my scalp is back to itching something fierce, so i'm gonna try the head and shoulders stuff and see how that works for my scalp at least cause if i'm not careful or paying attention i will scratch till i bleed :( I probably should mention this to my doctor when i see him next maybe then can reefer me to a dermatologist(is that the skin ones?) so i can figure out why my scalp itches so badly no matter what i do. (Wash, dont wash, condition no condtioning, oil no oil etc.) I only get temporary relief it seems :(

höpönasu
January 10th, 2015, 05:40 AM
I've experienced scalp itching too when stretching washes, but I don't have any skin condition. I've had itching as soon as the next day. I found out that the products I was using just didn't suit my scalp even though they did good work on the rest of my hair. You might want to try and switch to another brand - or only use it on your lengths - just in case it's just irritating your scalp. Best of luck! :o

EvelynMay
January 10th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I definitely think it's better to go with what works with your hair, not just what you think you should use! And if your hair in a few months doesn't seem to like it, you can always switch it up! Heres an example... I had a shampoo that was discontinued a few years back, so I started searching for another sulfate free shampoos... found one that had GREAT ingredients in it, smelled good etc I really thought that sulfate free ALWAYS meant gentle, and that good natural ingredients always meant fabulous hair... well... it was VERY drying, and it even burned my face if some got on it and it was left too long... but I was stubborn and thought, well this is what using good products must do, so I gotta suck it up! lol. It was even a moisturizing formula, so perplexing!! I kept thinking "well, maybe I just gotta deep condition more often... " And would and it wouldn't make much of a difference. FInally I couldn't take it anymore and tried something else that also was sulfate free and had great ingredients, and the difference was INSANE. Soooo much better for my hair. Sometimes it's not just about making yourself use what you perceive as "good," but rather finding something that makes your hair look and feel great. Even similar products can do vastly different things for your hair!

LongHairLesbian
January 10th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Nothing wrong with herbal essences shampoo and conditioner. :) Lots of people here use it, and get great results. The only thing you should watch closely is shampooing daily. Chin length hair might be okay with a daily shampoo, but BSL or waist or BCL hair probably won't be. At that point, you may want to consider stretching washes, scalp-only washes, or the condition-wash-condition method, which involves putting conditioner on your length before shampooing your scalp. :)

Annalouise
January 10th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Erm, excuse me? I asked for clarification because I didn't understand what you were saying. No need to be a spiteful bitch. Also, you've got almost knee length hair? Congrats, you've been growing it longer than I have. Doesn't mean you know a damn thing more. Ugh. Get off your pedestal.

Insulting people is not cool.

jeanniet
January 10th, 2015, 05:23 PM

Erm, excuse me? I asked for clarification because I didn't understand what you were saying. No need to be a spiteful bitch. Also, you've got almost knee length hair? Congrats, you've been growing it longer than I have. Doesn't mean you know a damn thing more. Ugh. Get off your pedestal.

Both replies were equally insulting. This is a site for everyone. It's certainly not OK to make members with shorter hair feel inferior. In any case, I didn't quite understand what she was getting at either, so the further explanation was helpful.

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Insulting people is not cool.

Seconding that. Have at least a *little* amount of respect, please, for people who have been here longer than you and who have longer hair than you. They at least don't have to prove a damn thing anymore about how to grow hair the right way, so they might know a thing or two more than you as well. :)

neko_kawaii
January 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Seconding that. Have at least a *little* amount of respect, please, for people who have been here longer than you and who have longer hair than you. They at least don't have to prove a damn thing anymore about how to grow hair the right way, so they might know a thing or two more than you as well. :)

Having longer hair does not indicate knowing anything more than someone with shorter hair. All that can be told from length is time, and not even that can always be judged accurately.

No one, short or long has to PROVE anything. Questions, answers, and peanuts should be kept KNIT.

lapushka
January 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Having longer hair does not indicate knowing anything more than someone with shorter hair. All that can be told from length is time, and not even that can always be judged accurately.

No one, short or long has to PROVE anything. Questions, answers, and peanuts should be kept KNIT.

I happen to disagree on that, and do think we need to keep in mind that people with longer hair have a little more experience and knowledge, but let's agree to disagree. :flower:

Annalouise
January 10th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I happen to disagree on that, and do think we need to keep in mind that people with longer hair have a little more experience and knowledge, but let's agree to disagree. :flower:

Yeah, I agree with lapushka. It takes an incredible amount of time and diligence to grow long hair and an incredible amount of trial and error. If someone has achieved longer lengths then they must have had success in one way or another. Even if you have the coarsest most resilient hair on the planet you still have to get it right.:)

tokugawa.miyako
January 10th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Woah, woah, this escalated quickly. I think there is a way to agree to disagree here. There's probably some truth to the idea that someone who's been successfully growing their hair for a long period of time has more experience and knowledge than someone who hasn't. But it's also true that everyone's hair is different; your milage my vary on a lot of hair advice, even advice from a hair veteran. Appropriately, I think this is something we can learn from the OP and relevant replies.

In any case, let's try to be friendly. We can disagree, even passionately, without name calling or assuming things. :blossom:

Llama
January 10th, 2015, 09:45 PM
I thought this site was for supporting those who are trying to grow their hair, not a place for "longhairs" to be condescending towards people with hair shorter than their own. Definitely insulted more than one person with that APL comment.

jeanniet
January 11th, 2015, 12:25 AM

But that doesn't mean that someone with longer hair can be condescending, or that members with shorter hair deserve less respect. Having longer hair doesn't assign superiority. Anyway, just because someone has shorter hair now doesn't means they've never had long hair. A number of members have gone between short and long hair. Anyone who is a member here is entitled to the same level of respect as anyone else.

ETA: Just want to reiterate that insults aren't OK. But the insults went both ways, and in my book it's not OK to give a pass to one person and not the other simply because one has long hair. Also, I'm looking at this from both a long and short hair perspective, since my hair now is much shorter than a couple of years ago.

ladyjulia
January 11th, 2015, 02:05 AM
I thought this site was for supporting those who are trying to grow their hair, not a place for "longhairs" to be condescending towards people with hair shorter than their own. Definitely insulted more than one person with that APL comment.

And I agree with this! That was a mean thing to say and honestly ladies this is a site for learning from others, no one likes a teacher who is condescending. Yes a lot of ladies here have absolutely gorgeous long hair and that's why I'm here to learn from you, but it is ridiculous to think that just because another member has shorter hair than you at the moment you can't learn anything from them.