PDA

View Full Version : is baby shampoo any good?

Patrycja
March 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have so many small bottles of baby shampoo around the house and got to wondering.Since it is so gentle,can it be beneficial to my hair?Alot less abrasive than the other commercial stuff that I have.

Does anyone or has anyone used it?

meliora
March 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
According to what I read, baby shampoo is alkaline and can actually be harsher to some people. It opens up the cuticle, so it would probably be beneficial to do a vinegar rinse afterwards.

I think it's gentler, because for me it takes two shampooings to get the oil out of my hair after a deep oiling, versus only one with regular sulfate shampoo. In my experience, baby shampoo is pretty mild. I have one bottle of it right now just in case. I use it when my scalp is not that irritated and doesn't need a harsher cleaning.

Some members here had negative experiences with baby shampoo though.

AJoifulNoise
March 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I tried baby shampoo once. It left my hair in a mass of tangles and dried it out terribly.

doodlesmart
March 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I use it to wash my OCM washcloth between launderings. Just a couple of drops in the sink and swish swish swish. I find it to be drying on my hair.

ChloeDharma
March 18th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, baby shampoo seems gentler for use on babies as it's formulated to be alkaline so that if it gets in their eyes it doesn't sting so much. But for the hair alkaline isn't very good. I've also noticed that most are very sulphatey which i find odd considering the advice i've read in the past suggested that sulphates can interfere with the eye development of children under 6 years old due to their action on proteins.

Personally i'd not use it, if you want gentle try CO method or maybe herbs. If you do use it then like has already been suggested make sure you do a vinegar rinse afterwards.

Neon Gloss
March 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
It was definitely better on me when I was a baby. I tried this 7 years ago because I missed the scent. The tangles were never that bad.

squiggyflop
March 18th, 2008, 09:01 PM
ive used baby shampoo before with no ill affects... but there is this child shampoo/conditioner that i like, it says no more tears and no more tangles on the bottle.. i dont remember what brand it was but i got great results from it... i have very sensitive eyes.. just getting water in them is irritating

angelthadiva
March 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
In a pinch, it's great for an eye make up remover...It's very gentle and won't sting...I'd use it as a gentle wash for fine washables too.

carloota
March 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM
From what I've read, baby shampoo is probably best to wash fine washables, and not a fine head of hair. Just my :twocents:

tiny_teesha
March 19th, 2008, 02:37 AM
it is the same pH as your eyes not your hair. So that if it gets in the babies eyes it won't sting.

Constantly lifting up the hair cuticle scales damages it and soon it won't sit down as flush as before. It isn't a good idea i think.

Jadetive
March 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I have thick, oily coarse hair and I find that baby shampoo doesn't seem to cut the grease in my hair. Which makes it very hard to manage of course.

But I do use for washing my face in the mornings. It's so gentle and it doesn't burn/sting if I get it in my eyes. :)

Kirin
March 19th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I do occassionally choose to use baby shampoo, for whatever reason harsh as its claimed to be, my hair likes it best. To be honest its one of the few shampoos I can find commercially thats not a trillion dollars that doesnt have silicone OR protein in it. My hair has never dried out from it.

I'm not high up on the ingredient chain list of sulphates, however, be careful on the brand. Dollar store brands usually have SLS (and a ton of other sulphates) while Johnson & Johnsons (if i recall, i could be wrong) uses something "betaine" or somesuch.

That said, yes baby shampoo is alkaline, which some hair actually loves (some hates), my hair hates acid of any kind, and tends to behave better with a more alkaline shampoo. I do not think baby shampoo is "ideal" but it is affordable and works for some people. So try it, and if you like it, nothing wrong with it.

lora410
March 19th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Nightshade told me that mixed with honey and left on for a few mins is great for lightening hair. I have a bottle I just bought to try this but haven't gotten around to it yet.

pookatrina
March 19th, 2008, 07:35 AM
It's one of the things I used to pull the black dye out of my hair. I do like the scent & have added a few drops of it to my hand soap so it'll smell nice.

wolf girl
March 19th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I use baby shampoo to wash my dogs. It makes their hair soft and smells really nice. Also, I don't have to worry about it getting in their eyes while bathing.

jojo
March 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
it made my hair like straw, its gently for babies as it has stuff which wont sting their eyes, it is good for taking eye make up off though, diluted of course.

I haven't read the other replies so apologise if im repeating anything here

Feisty Redhead
March 19th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I've used baby shampoo and really liked it. I am mostly CO now but if I had to I'd use baby shampoo again. I like it; makes my hair extra soft and helps keep tangles at bay, and it smells so good! But that's just me. :D

Patrycja
March 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I have tons of it and I absolutely dig the smell when I wash my baby's hair.I also got to looking at the ingrediants and also wondered..its so gentle for a baby and cleans wonderfully what about using it in my hair?

basically the question is-has or does anyone use it and wants the results? its johnson and johnson btw ;)

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Didn't you just post this other thread with a very similar question?

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1168&highlight=baby+shampoo

As I said there... When I used baby shampoo it made my hair very tangly and dry.

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Baby shampoo is NOT good for hair, as a rule of thumb. Like all rules, there are exceptions, and some people find baby shampoo works wonders on their hair. Odds are, however, baby shampoo will trash your hair.

Baby shampoo is highly alkaline, it's pH is formulated to keep it from burning a baby's eyes (since it's hard to keep soap out of theirs). Hair is acidic, and prefers an acidic enviroment (that's why a lot of conditioners have ingredients such as citric acid to push the conditioner pH towards being more acidic).

I use baby shampoo to strip DYE out of my hair, and trust me when I say it WORKS. I do not use it for anything else insofar as the hair on my head is concerned.

suicides_eve
March 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM
i use it when mixing with baking soda to do a clarifying shampoo. i follow up with a good deep condioning. i love the smell too. it's so familar,reminds me when i was younger.

Patrycja
March 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM
LOL holy crap.I completely forgot about that thread....omg I need to work on my memory..

thanks ajn I owe you one ;)

Patrycja
March 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
thank you so much for the feedback.I accidently posted another thread about this bc I completely forgot about this one.opppsss

I will try it as a makeup remover and to wash my delicates,but according to all the advice,I will not use it in my hair.

Thanks for the headsup!

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 12:51 PM
LOL holy crap.I completely forgot about that thread....omg I need to work on my memory..

thanks ajn I owe you one ;)

Heh, you're welcome! I thought I was losing my marbles there for a few moments. One of those "wait a minute..." moments.

Blu11
April 12th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I think most of this baby shampoo stuff is a myth. Just my 2 :twocents:, I'm no expert.

I used to think the same, but a friend who is a pharmacist explained to me I was wrong and actually recommended it.

They aren't alkaline, most good baby shampoos are pH neutral. If they were alkaline, they would be harsh on baby's skin too.
And it just doesn't make sense to me that something that's gentle to someone's skin would be harsh to their hair.

I attribute the harshness and dryness some people experience to the lack of cones and softening agents in the shampoo.
I use Hipp baby shampoo (German brand, they also make baby food and stuff) for about 7 months and although it took some getting used to, I love it now. :D

I have oily hair so I sometimes have to wash twice, but otherwise it works just fine for me. Or sometimes I add a few drops of eo-s that compliment oily hair (lemon, tea tree, ylang ylang...) but not to often because the poo smells so nice on its own.:)

Finoriel
April 12th, 2008, 07:42 AM
In general pH-neutral means a pH-level of 7, the eyes have a pH-level of ca. 7,5 so baby shampoo is brought to about the same level to be gentle... gentle to the eyes. Most of them depending on the brand vary between 7,1 and 7,8.
Skin and hair prefer a more sour environment, naturally they have a pH-level about 5,5. Thatīs why baby shampoo can be drying for sensible skin or hair. Somehow paradox, but true facts.
So when baby shampoo is labeled to have a neutral pH-level or to be "gentle" itīs actually too alkaline for skin and healthy hair, but wonīt hurt the eyes... and there is baby-lotion and baby-oil and tangle-free-easy-comb-spray filled with cones to hide the bad drying effects later on. :pins:
Thatīs why most nurses recommend to bath babys and small children with water and oil and to try to leave their skin/hair alone as long as possible.

Using baby shampoo for removing dye makes sense as it opens up the cuticle very wide and dye will come out easier than when the surface of the hair is closed and smooth. But itīs not a gentle way like the word baby-shampoo implies.
Closing it after this with a acidic rinse can be a short time solution and is better than leaving the cuticle opened.
But doing this over and over again, at every wash through the years will be damaging. Like the lamella of a sun-blind, you can open and close them for quite some time, but after a while it will wear out.
:shrug: No one in my family uses baby shampoo.

lora410
April 12th, 2008, 08:10 AM
My hair was a disaster and very dry. I mixed it with honey to help lighten my hair

1nuitblanche
April 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I used baby shampoo for two or three months when I was travelling with shorter hair (growing to chin length from a pixie), and it left my hair feeling really funny after a while (kind of sticky, stiff, greasy, and coarser than normal), but I might've had a little fewer flyaways.

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Harsher than adult shampoos, in my experience. I don't know who decided we have to put detergent and mineral oil on a baby.

I'd clean the bathtub with it.

Blu11
April 12th, 2008, 11:59 AM
That does makes sense, Finoriel... :)
Well, I'll just have to get something to test this poo's pH, and end the mystery. :D
I always assumed pH neutral meant 5.5 and nothing else.
But my weird hair likes it, go figure.

Riot Crrl
April 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
5.5 is acid, 7.0 is neutral.

I found the ingredients of the Hipp baby shampoo (http://www.hipp.co.yu/en/cosmetics.php), I can't know the pH without the ratios of course, but the surfactants in it do look gentler to me than the J&J.

Kirin
April 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I'm one who is pretty skeptical on how "harsh" baby shampoo is.

I don't mean any disrepect to the well meaning people here, but after doing a long internet search, the only thing I can find on baby shampoo is "myths and urban legends". (many of the myths debunked were on "teh Evilz" that it will blind your baby, its harshness and alkaline corrosion to skin.) On comparing the ingredient listings of various brands, the only difference between it, and adult commercial shampoos for instance, is the use of more "Freindly" sulphates. Some contain none at all.

It seems to vary so widely from brand to brand, that "baby shampoo" cannot be classified as having any exact PH level to go across the board. Extensive internet searching, oddly enough, brings up sites that tout baby shampoo as evil, are usually selling some all natural form of it. I do not trust, and basically have begun to just close out pages like that.

Other information I can find regarding baby shampoo is, dang it, all written in blogs, or from individuals as personal posts.

This is not to say information is not out there, just that me, a layman and two hours on my hands, could find absolute bubkis to substantiate any claims that baby shampoo would be across the board damaging to skin or hair (eyes or anything else!).

The only thing i can find, is that as a rule, baby shampoo does have a slightly more alkaline enviornment than skin and hair naturally does (5.5 or so, not in the 7's, cant find any, they might exist).

So after this exhaustive waste of two hours LOL, here's my personal synopsis of Baby Shampoo:

Not all brands are the same, 1/2 of them are exactly the same formulas as adult shampoo

Baby shampoo, depending on the formula is usually 9 times out of ten devoid of huge hair offenders to some people, like perfume, silicones and protein. (and why its a staple in my household).

Its one of the few shampoos that for the most part doesnt contain citric acid (or acid of any kind). For those with acid sensitive hair, this might be for you.

I can't give a general tout to baby shampoo, as the formulas vary so widely, it would be impossible to make a blanket statement.

So.... my humble opinion is, if you like it, use it. If you don't .... don't. I definately do, and keep it ( dollar store "baby days" brand 99 cents) in my rotation always.

Celebrian
April 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I use up my shampoos, especially the cheap, harsher ones, on cleaning bathtubs and sinks. Does a great job.

Nevermore
April 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I find baby shampoo to be VERY harsh, on both hair and eyes, if it's the standard kind. Loreal makes kids shampoo/conditioner combos that are much gentler and smell very, very nice. CO wins for hair-gentleness though, imo.

j4zzin
April 18th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Have any of you shampoo-users ever tried clarifying with baby shampoo (like that amber Johnson and Johnson stuff)? It seems like it would be much gentler on the hair as far as stripping goes. Does it work?

Also, what about using two-in-one shampoo/conditioners in place of shampoo? (Like, you would still use a regular conditioner afterwards) I'm very curious to see if anyone has had success with these products. :D

akurah
April 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Baby shampoo is one of the harshest things you can put on your hair. People use it (with success) to strip out hair dye.

I would reccomend a clarifying shampoo before I'd reccomend a baby shampoo. In fact, I only reccomend baby shampoo if one is trying to strip out dye. Otherwise avoid it.

It's formulated to be very alkaline, which is gentle to eyes. Hair is acidic, and baby shampoo will trash hair 99% of the time. There are exceptions but they tend to be few and far between.

amaiaisabella
April 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Avoid baby shampoo! The only good thing I would say about it is that it is a good body wash. On the hair? Picture red alarms blaring, and frantic LHCers running about! :D

j4zzin
April 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Oh wow! I had no idea!! Thanks for letting me know!

So, what are your thoughts on two in ones?

Kirin
April 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I think other than trying to strip out coloring, you would do best to use a clarifying shampoo. Some have good results using baby shampoo regularly, but from other posts on the subject its clear on some its extremely harsh.

akurah
April 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've used 2-in-1s as shampoo in the past followed with regular conditioner. I don't anymore (probably because it didn't really do anything spectacular), but it didn't hurt my hair at all.

These days I'm alternating conditioner-only washes with regular shampoo&conditioner washes.

catfish
April 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM
A lot of people here don't like baby shampoo (regardless of brand) it is true that the PH of baby shampoos tend to be more alkaline than adult shampoo, but it is not VERY alkaline, in fact they tend to be neutral, like water.( I have tested) Not everyones hair likes acid; and for some people who wash only with water or with shampoo bars(which are alkaline) and don't use an acid rinse afterwards will agree. I may be rare but I am real. I use baby shampoos and they do not strip my hair. The best advise is to try it out. Your hair may like it or not, but as all TLHC members know, there's more than one way to wash a cat..er..head:Dcatfish

Riot Crrl
April 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
J&J Baby Shampoo is in the top 2 of harshest shampoos I have used.

When I used to shampoo, I used 2-in-1s pretty much exclusively, and I still used conditioner after.

Patrycja
April 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1288&highlight=Baby+shampoo

I had that same question not too long ago about shampoo.There was tons of useful replies on that thread.HIH!:o

sahiba
August 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I got this new baby shampoo for my son and gave him a hair wash with it. The effect was too good and silky. Thinking of trying it on myself. Its a Mothercare conditioning baby shampoo with extracts of honey, camomile and aloe vera. What do you guys say?

akurah
August 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Baby hair is slightly different from adult hair--the cuticle of the hair is significantly tighter than ours. So you could probably wash their hair in Dawn and it'd still be soft and silky afterwards (note, please do NOT attempt this on hair that is actually attached to a baby's head, dish detergent is harsh stuff and would trash their scalp and burn their eyes!)

Because most baby shampoo is formulated to be gentle on eyes, it's generally not hair friendly as a result. It'll get your hair clean, and it probably won't completely trash your hair, but you won't get magical results. I mean, seriously, people use baby shampoo by ITSELF to remove hair dye! How gentle can it really be?

Now, all that being said, I don't know enough about the ingredients or composition of that particular brand of baby shampoo to confirm or deny if it will be like all other baby shampoos. But I'm fairly sure it won't do what you want, as I'm fairly certain the "soft silkiness" of your child's hair is simply due to your child's hair, not because of the product.

Boudicca
August 27th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'd recommend against. Baby shampoo is very alkaline, to ensure that it doesn't sting baby's eyes. This really strips your hair, however, and leaves it like straw. Trust me, I tried it.

I agree with akurah. Your baby's hair is soft and silky because it's baby hair, not because of the shampoo :)

ktani
February 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Now I know why baby shampoo gets such mixed reviews.

I am on a tight budget right now and I needed liquid soap for my washroom. I do not want to use anything I have to prepare and leave out on the counter.

The great, new, inexpensive liquid soap I found at my dollar store is back ordered.

I have pH strips, so I test everything, because often, there is no way to judge that, just by reading ingredient lists or labels.

I bought 1 bottle of a pH 5.5 liquid soap (this was stated on the label) and 1 bottle of Essaim Baby shampoo, made in Quebec and took them home, (I was thinking of mixing them). I expected the baby shampoo to be alkaline and the liquid soap to have the pH it claimed. Just the opposite occured. The liquid soap tested alkaline, and the baby shampoo tested about pH 5.5.

I exchanged the liquid soap for more baby shampoo. The point? Not all baby shampoos are going to be hair unfriendly, even though I have no intentiion of using this shampoo on my hair.

annielauri
February 2nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
I remember in highschool chemistry testing different shampoos. We took Head & shoulders, baby shampoo, and I think Faberge honey and wheat to test. We took strands of hair and left them in the shampoo for a week. Both the baby shampoo and the Faberge (sp?) made the hair disintegrate. In otherwords, it ate the hair. The Head & shoulders was by far the gentlest on the hair.

sahiba
February 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I remember in highschool chemistry testing different shampoos. We took Head & shoulders, baby shampoo, and I think Faberge honey and wheat to test. We took strands of hair and left them in the shampoo for a week. Both the baby shampoo and the Faberge (sp?) made the hair disintegrate. In otherwords, it ate the hair. The Head & shoulders was by far the gentlest on the hair.

Really :surprise:

ktani
February 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Formulas for many brands of shampoo have changed considerably, over the years. Companies are very competitive and make changes all of the time. P&G certainly does. I am not implying that their shampoos are not still gentle. I am also not implying that there are still no harsh shampoos out there. There are but one needs to take each one on an individual basis, as they are now.

My best friend loved Faberge Wheat and Honey Shampoo way back when, never had any problems with it and she had/has great hair. She uses various shampoo brands now.

Regardless of the brand, I would not soak any hair in any type of shampoo, conventional or natural, and expect the hair to remain unchanged after a week.

florenonite
February 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I would recommend testing the pH of the baby shampoo and of your regular shampoo. If they are similar, you could try the baby shampoo. However, you may well find that the baby shampoo is alkaline (so as to not hurt your son's eyes) in which case it would be bad for your hair, roughing up the cuticle. It might work if you used an acid rinse after, though.

ktani
February 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Apparently, and contrary to I believed, it is the peg 80 sorbitan laurate in baby shampoos, a very mild cleanser, that makes the shampoo tear free, not the pH.

That would explain the pH difference. The shampoo I bought says tear free on the bottle and tested about pH 5.5.

Unfortunately, depending on what one puts on one's hair, this mild cleaser, is not strong enough to remove what most adults add to their hair care routine, like oils.

It also explains why some children's shampoos have sles added to them, to help remove conditioners, sold for the same demographic.

Iylivarae
February 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
I have an eye-shampoo with SLS in it (yes, there are such things as eye shampoos...), so I am really in doubt about the detergent having an influence on the tearlessness...

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
I have an eye-shampoo with SLS in it (yes, there are such things as eye shampoos...), so I am really in doubt about the detergent having an influence on the tearlessness...

From what I have read it is not just the surfactant but the percentage of it, other ingredients combined with it etc.

You can have sls in a product like that but I doubt if it is the primary cleanser or in the top 2 ingredients listed.

squiggyflop
February 3rd, 2009, 07:09 AM
i always had good hair with baby shampoo... especially folowed by a vinegar rinse.. i mostly stopped because i heard it could get the henna out of my hair.. also i use a clarifying shampoo for washes most of the time now because of my heavy cone use..

its also nice for washing my face.. i have super sensitive eyes so its nice to wash my face with something that doesnt burn..

Drynwhyl
February 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Months ago I used Johnson's baby shampoo, as I figured it's pretty mild, I mean, babies are sensitive and all that. But my hair wasn't too happy with it, got dry...I now see why O_o

ktani
February 3rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
i always had good hair with baby shampoo... especially folowed by a vinegar rinse.. i mostly stopped because i heard it could get the henna out of my hair.. also i use a clarifying shampoo for washes most of the time now because of my heavy cone use..

its also nice for washing my face.. i have super sensitive eyes so its nice to wash my face with something that doesnt burn..

As a mild, liquid hand soap, the one I bought with a pH of 5.5, is working out very well.

On makeupalley.com, baby shampoo is recommended for washing make-up brushes.

Another bonus is that the bottles it comes in, are perfect when empty, for my catnip tea. I consider this a win-win situation.

Tap Dancer
February 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I know a lot of people don't like baby shampoo because it's "harsh," but I get an urge to use it every so often. Kinda like Pantene. ;) Anyway, I picked up a bottle today. It's lavender scented. Mmm... And I was thinking: my scalp tends to get oily. Do you think baby shampoo would be good for my scalp? I plan to deep condition after I shampoo, so that should keep the length soft and moisturized.

florenonite
February 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM
The reason baby shampoo tends to be harsh isn't because of detergents, but because it's got a pH of close to 7.4 (the pH of human tears) so as not to irritate the eyes. I don't see any harm in trying it, but you might want to use an acid rinse, especially if you've got hard water.

That said, I use shampoo bars (which are basic) without an acid rinse and my hair seems just fine, so your hair mightn't have a problem with using a neutral shampoo.

Tap Dancer
February 24th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I don't see any harm in trying it, but you might want to use an acid rinse, especially if you've got hard water.

I'm not sure what an acid rinse is. (Embarrassing for a "guru," huh? :p) But we've got soft well water. I'll try the shampoo/deep conditioner later this afternoon.

contradiction
February 24th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Baby shampoo used to tear up my scalp and leave it dry to the point of flakes, no matter how oily your scalp is I wouldn't try it.

Kaijah
February 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I think whether or not a baby shampoo will be harsh varies A LOT by brand. Some use a bunch of sulfates, are really alkaline, and so on, but others are composed of really gentle cleansers and are just barely neutral or are acidic.

If it's a 'harsher' type, it would likely clean all the oil off your scalp with no problem. But if your scalp is just over producing oil because it's too dry to begin with, that would be counter productive and probably exacerbate the problem.

Acid rinses are Apple Cider Vinegar or Citric Acid rinses, basically an acidic ingredient diluted in water to rebalance your scalp's acid mantle after it's stripped with an alkaline cleanser. ACV is usually roughly 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar in 2 cups water, whereas citric acid is much more dilute (because the acid is stronger) at .25 teaspoons in 3-4 cups water. The liquid should just taste a bit tangy/acidy if you want to check it before use.

teela1978
February 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
The reason baby shampoo tends to be harsh isn't because of detergents, but because it's got a pH of close to 7.4 (the pH of human tears) so as not to irritate the eyes. I don't see any harm in trying it, but you might want to use an acid rinse, especially if you've got hard water.

That said, I use shampoo bars (which are basic) without an acid rinse and my hair seems just fine, so your hair mightn't have a problem with using a neutral shampoo.

I always understood that baby shampoo was quite harsh and laden with detergents, mainly to help dissipate cradle cap.

Tap Dancer
February 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Well, I'm taking it back the next time I go out. It smells good in the bottle, but there was no smell while I was shampooing. I hate that. My hair is still damp right now, but I think it will look and feel that same as always when it dries.

florenonite
February 24th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I always understood that baby shampoo was quite harsh and laden with detergents, mainly to help dissipate cradle cap.

Hmm, maybe it's a bit of both. I know certain children's shampoos (all those ones that say "No More Tears") are around 7.4 so that they don't sting, so it would make sense that it's the same for babies, who are just as likely to get shampoo in their eyes as children.

beez1717
March 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
We all know that Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo is bad for your hair and scalp, but i was wondering just HOW bad it is. When I was a child and during my preteen years I used that stuff religiously. heck I think I used it until high school, and now i'm curious just how bad for your hair it really is. now i'm super curious!!!! :p

Sweetness
March 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
I had a hairdresser tell me it is actually the "most abrasive" and drying shampoo out there (along with head and shoulders if I remember well).

She said it's because babies get so messy, put anything and everything in their hair, and the soap that is made for them is therefore a "stronger cleaner" ...

True or not, no idea (:

Kaijah
March 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Just from looking at their current ingredients list, it really doesn't look all that different from any standard "adult" shampoo. It might feel more stripping because there aren't really any major moisturizers or silicones in it to coat the hair and counter balance all the surfactants. I beleive they adjust the pH with citric acid to be about 7 (true neutral) since that's the pH of human tears.

Water, PEG 80 Sorbitan Laurate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Glycerin, Lauroamphoglycinate, PEG 150 Distearate, Sodium Laureth 13 Carboxylate, Fragrance, Polyquaternium 10, Tetrasodium EDTA, Quaternium 15, Citric Acid, D&C Yellow 10, D&C Orange 4

IMO, it's all about opinion. Some people might be able to use it, some won't be able to. It might be a bad idea just because the adult hair and scalp are both acidic.

farewell_nancy
March 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I didn't know Johnson & Johnson was harsh, good to know.

merseaone
March 22nd, 2010, 02:35 PM
Interesting, I got some kind of infection in my earring holes and a jeweler friend said baby shampoo was the best thing to get rid of it. He said just wash your hair and let the soap get into the infected holes and in a few days you should be fine. Hmmmmmmm

MissMandyElizab
March 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
if you like it and miss it you might be able to use burts bees baby stuff!

Carolyn
March 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
My understanding is baby shampoo is formulated to not sting when it gets in the baby's eyes and also to take care of cradle cap. I've used it from time to time over the years. My last try was with California Baby. I recall it was stripping or drying. Before that it was Johnson's Baby poo and I remember my hair being very squeaky clean which to me means stripped. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but hey, if it's working for you, keep on using it.

beez1717
March 22nd, 2010, 05:41 PM
I hadn't thought about cradle cap before. no wonder it's so harsh!!!

Bethie
March 22nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
my latest Ped. told me to use J&J baby shampoo for my son's cradle cap, which was really bad. But once the cradle cap was under control I should go back to his normal shampoo if I am worried about it drying his scalp out.

elliebean184
March 22nd, 2010, 07:58 PM
I occasionally get styes (infected eyelash follicles) and I was told to treat it by washing twice a day with J&J baby shampoo and warm water. It takes care of the problem in a few days and prevents it from spreading to other follicles. It's a bit harsh on delicate skin and my hair, but it great for really cleaning.

CrisDee
March 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I read somewhere that the very thing that makes it no-more-tears is what makes it harsh - it's apparently very alkaline, which is quite hard on the hair. Maybe follow it with an ACV rinse?

merseaone
March 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
I occasionally get styes (infected eyelash follicles) and I was told to treat it by washing twice a day with J&J baby shampoo and warm water. It takes care of the problem in a few days and prevents it from spreading to other follicles. It's a bit harsh on delicate skin and my hair, but it great for really cleaning.

Yep, me, too. I think I will be sticking my bottle of J&J under the sink. Maybe it would be good for washing the sink clean! LOL

Friesiangirl
March 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I loved JnJ's Lavendar baby shampoo. I used it for many years with no problems and I would gladly use it again except that I do CO mostly now. I never had a problem with it being harsh and I loved the smell. Actually, with my scalp problems, I seemed better off.

Hayley

Feline
March 23rd, 2010, 04:54 PM

I am being watched by my opthamologist for possible glaucoma, and he told me to wash my eyes with a little water and baby shampoo. Evidently this helps to clean out the ducts and helps the eye to drain, keeping down the pressure. So far, so good, after several years still being watched, the pressure and other tests are still good :thumbsup:.

Oh, yeah, and I use the stuff to wash down the walls of the shower, too. Works good. :D

ArienEllariel
March 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I've tried it. It was pretty harsh on my hair..

beez1717
March 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I've tried it. It was pretty harsh on my hair..

I agree! For me, it caused a massive amount of dandruff. If my hair had been longer, I think it would have looked stripped!

hmmm
March 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I hated this shampoo when I tried it, and I only used it the one time.

Purdy Bear
March 24th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I've got a bottle sitting in my bathroom, waiting for me to try, I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I can remember when I did use it before in the shower, the rest of my skin dried out really badly, not good for someone who already has very dry skin.

Dreams_in_Pink
March 24th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I never thought it'd be harsh on hair :( i washed my hair with it a few times and, to be honest, it wasn't as bad as head & shoulders in terms of irritation.

I'm sulfate-free so i no longer use such poos. But if i ever need to clarify, i'd use that one, for it has no cones and i just LOOOOOVE its perfume! :D

Theobroma
May 20th, 2010, 09:40 AM
I was in a shop today buying a comb and the saleslady started trying to sell me some shampoo as well. I explained that I'm trying to avoid sulphates at the moment to see if that'll fix some minor issues I'm having with a sensitive scalp, and mentioned that I was thinking of trying baby shampoo to see whether that would work better for me than conventional products.

She immediately began to read me a little lecture about how adults should never, never, never use baby shampoo because our scalps are completely different and we needed stronger detergents to get rid of the sebum and buildup and what-have-you, and gave dire warnings about how using baby shampoo could CAUSE more problems than it solves for adults because it won't clean our scalps properly, especially if you have fairly thick hair.

Is there something in this? I've never heard it before, and I do know that some people use baby shampoo (and some baby shampoos are even advertised as being suitable for adults who wash their hair every day).

spidermom
May 20th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Here's the deal. Baby shampoo is pH balanced to be compatible with the eye, which is slightly alkaline, so that it won't burn. Your hair and scalp prefer products that are slightly acidic. Look for the words pH-balanced on the label of whatever product you would like to try.

Loreley
May 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have thick hair (iii) and I use baby shampoo. It's SLS and cone-free and works really well. My hair has been much softer any shinier since I started using it. :D
I don't think we need stronger detergents. If we needed them, CO washes wouldn't work at all...

Theobroma
May 20th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Softer and shinier sounds good!

What conditioner do you use after baby shampoo? I'm assuming cone-free, but is there anything else you look out for?

lapushka
May 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Some baby shampoos actually contain SL(E)S (Johnson's did, but I think the formula changed). Always look closely at the ingredients because baby shampoo might not be softer or more gentle at all, depending on which one you use.

Theobroma
May 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, I noticed that; I looked at two brands in the shop the other day and one of them had SLES. :eek: I really wasn't expecting that!

Coffeebug
May 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I actually recently tried Johnsons detangling shampoo and conditioner. To be fair - after using it I didn't have a problem with tangling - I'd say it was more matted rather than tangled. It was horrendous and my scalp felt terrible. I'll never do it again LOL

UltraBella
May 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
Most baby shampoos on the market, unless all natural, are very bad for your hair. Although they are pH balanced to not sting the eyes, they are also formulated to remove cradle cap that babies so often get. Cradle cap is very greasy and crusty, and baby shampoo is supposed to get rid of it. This is why traditional baby shampoo will strip the natural oils from your hair and scalp and leave you with that "squeaky clean" feeling that we all know is awful for the health of our hair.
I realize some people here love using it, but it's very strong, not gentle. It's only gentle when it comes to not stinging the eyes.

Loreley
June 4th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I tried Johnsons, too, but it made my hair terribly dry. :(

Sammich
June 4th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I actually recently tried Johnsons detangling shampoo and conditioner. To be fair - after using it I didn't have a problem with tangling - I'd say it was more matted rather than tangled. It was horrendous and my scalp felt terrible. I'll never do it again LOL

ROFL, damn you tricked me! I was gonna run off to try some of the newer johnsons before I read the last lines! :p Great use of tricker there! ;)

I was recommended by my father to use baby shampoo (he's the one who got me into haircare and smelling nice actually. o.O) because he said baby shampoo(johnsons) is more gentle.
It didn't work too well for me and dried my hair a ton, but hey, the camomile worked and I got brighter blonde highlights! :p

Coffeebug
June 4th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Hahahaha sorry :D

Ah well - not a total waste of chops then if it brightened your highlights!

Topaz
June 4th, 2010, 01:40 PM
I was told by a hair dresser that baby shampoo is one of the most dangerous shampoos on the market. Curious, I did a web search. All I could find is that the baby shampoos seem to have a mild pain killer in them --- in other words, they are not No More Tears because they are gentle, but because they are anesthetizing the babies' eyes so they cannot feel the stinging.

Don't know if it's verified or not, but that's what I found about a year ago when the question came up in my own life. Anybody know for sure?

error
June 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I was told by a hair dresser that baby shampoo is one of the most dangerous shampoos on the market. Curious, I did a web search. All I could find is that the baby shampoos seem to have a mild pain killer in them --- in other words, they are not No More Tears because they are gentle, but because they are anesthetizing the babies' eyes so they cannot feel the stinging.

Don't know if it's verified or not, but that's what I found about a year ago when the question came up in my own life. Anybody know for sure?
OMG THAT CANT BE TRUE .. THAT IS SO AWFUL !!! i dont think the fda would approve something like that!!! im going to look into it now

Fractalsofhair
June 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Most baby shampoos do not have a painkiller in them, but have the pH so that you won't notice it if it gets in your eyes. They might be damaging to your hair, and more toxic than WO though.

UltraBella
June 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM

No, not true at all. You can not numb the eyes without a prescription. My husband is an eye doctor and he had a good chuckle over that. Unfortunately you just came across a webpage that was beyond misinformed.
It is the ph balance that keeps it from stinging, and it is the ph balance that also dries your hair out.

PiroskaCicu
June 14th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Since I ran out of my other shampoo, I decided that using Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo would be OK. I love the smell, it's hypoallergenic, milder and doesn't dry scalp/hair as much. I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin so this is important.

Does anyone else use this?

Lilacs
June 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I have tried using baby shampoo before, and I really liked it, but I don't think I could use it long term because of how thick my hair is and I'm afraid it won't be strong enough to clean my hair well. However, maybe I will try it again and see how it goes long term :)

Arctic_Mama
June 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Baby shampoo, surprisingly enough, is harsher on the hair than normal shampoo! It is pH balanced to not sting eyes, and consequently is NOT an optimal pH for the scalp or hair, itself. It is generally more drying than a gentle adult shampoo, especially once diluted. If it works for you that is great, I had to stop using it on my kids when it was drying their skin out so badly.

lelaelena
June 15th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I enjoy baby shampoo, but not as much as ultra conditioning adult ones. Baby shampoos are definitely mild, but they don't contain the conditioning and smoothing agents adult shampoos do, which my hair really needs.

Heavenly Locks
June 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Baby shampoo, surprisingly enough, is harsher on the hair than normal shampoo! It is pH balanced to not sting eyes, and consequently is NOT an optimal pH for the scalp or hair, itself. It is generally more drying than a gentle adult shampoo, especially once diluted. If it works for you that is great, I had to stop using it on my kids when it was drying their skin out so badly.

What she said! :)

My scalp is pretty sensitive too, I've had good luck with paraben free and SLS free shampoos.

UltraBella
June 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Baby shampoo = mild on your eyes but not on your hair or scalp. Quite harsh actually, is meant to deal with the cradle cap many babies get so it is drying and loaded with sulfates and surfactants.

Raine
June 15th, 2010, 04:09 AM
If you do wish to use baby shampoo, I would look into to the California Baby brand. It's sold online and in trarget, and they have a sensitive formula as well. It doesn't contain a lot of the harsh chemicals or numbing agents that Johnson & Johnson's has, and is a lot more gentle (J&J is only "tear free" because it contains an additive to numb your eyes so you don't feel the pain - we used to use it full strength at work to wash pepper spray out of our eyes when people were sprayed during training or by mistake). I use this on my baby, and it leaves both his skin and his hair really soft.

Loreley
June 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I use kids shampoo, I love it! The best I've ever tried. It's SLS- and SLES-free, very mild and smells like apricot. :D It gives a great slip to my hair even if it's cone-free.
I tried Johnson baby shampoo last year but I didn't like it. I loved the smell but it made my hair dry, tangly and I had to use a huge amount because there wasn't enough foam. :confused:

CrisDee
June 15th, 2010, 05:47 AM
My hair looked like a pile of straw when I tried baby shampoo - as others have said, the very factors that make it "no tears" make it extremely harsh on hair, at least on mine.

cindy58
June 15th, 2010, 06:14 AM
J&J does smell great, though!

Pumpkin
June 15th, 2010, 06:18 AM
A few years ago, I used J & J shampoo. It made my scalp itch...ugh! My hair was very dry at the ends also. Might have been great for me when I was a baby, but not now. :(

breezefaerie
June 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I know there has been some research on this site for baby shampoo used to remove (henna) hair color.
I'm not sure of the exact procedure but you can definitely search for it. That would be my main reason for not using baby shampoo.

Liss
June 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I could only find J&J baby shampoo in my mother's bathroom the other day, so I had no other choice but to use it. My scalp was itching like crazy once my hair dried and I started getting small patches of dandruff after only one use. I never get dandruff. I had to march my mother to the shop and find us something decent right away!

hemolymph
June 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I have a big bottle of J&J shampoo I use on my daughters hair (She's 2) and I always notice how harsh and rough it makes her hair feel. I always have to use conditioner on her hair after.
I am cheap so I want to finish the bottle up, so that's the only reason I still use it.

I really don't think it's gentle at all...

GRU
June 15th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I use baby "hair and body wash" (rather than the baby shampoo) in the shower as a body soap, and DS10 uses it as his shampoo so he doesn't have to be really careful about his eyes when he washes his hair (he uses bar soap to wash his body, I think b/c he wants to be "manly like daddy").

I started using it as my body soap back when DS was an infant. He had horribly sensitive skin (which he has mostly outgrown, thank goodness!), and I had to use the special "allergy free" laundry detergent on our clothes and bedding, too. His face would break out in this horrible angry rash just from cuddling up against someone's clothes washed with regular detergent.

I've noticed that you really have to read labels on baby products -- some of them are milder but some of them are not!

Madame J
June 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM
J&J Baby Shampoo contains fragrance and should not be considered hypoallergenic. Fragrances are one of the most common irritants/allergens in personal care products. And, as has been said, it is not meant to be gentle on hair, but on eyes.

Jeni
June 15th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Before I started dyeing my hair at 13/14 I used J&J Baby shampoo, it worked fantastically for me. Maybe it is because my scalp loves SLS? Once I started using hair dye I couldn't use it, too drying.

Once I finally get all the dye out of my hair (in like 2 years) I may try it again. I remember loving the way it made my hair feel.

melikai
June 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't recommend Johnson and Johnson's, but other baby and child shampoos are great. I use Earth Friendly Baby's Chamomile shampoo, and it's gentle and lovely.

punkcatknitter
June 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I use baby shampoo on myself as body wash. I'm allergic to most commercial soaps (instead of breaking out in a zillion hives I just get one MASSIVE hive somewhere on my body) and the non name brand stuff is cheap and doesn't irritate my skin.

Athena's Owl
June 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM
not johnson and johnson. it's no milder than the other shampoos out there.

i've looked and i think i found a baby shampoo that would be all right, but ihaven't bought it yet. I still have coco betaine left from my soap shop trip.

PiroskaCicu
June 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you guys for your advice! I didn't know it was actually harsher than other shampoos. The reason I thought it was good is because it is hypoallergenic which I need... my skin breaks out from certain shampoos and conditioners (on my face) and I also have a scalp condition which is like baby's cradle cap but for adults....

What do you recommend I use instead? I used to use organic shampoo that was SLS free along with many other things but my skin was STILL very sensitive to it.... I think I need something that is extremely mild with a simple cleanser, no smells. I'm allergic to perfume.

Help, please!!!

melikai
June 16th, 2010, 06:12 PM
This thread may help you, it's a list of fragrance free hair products: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47921

healthystheway
October 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
First let me say hi! Now I have a ? I used Pureology Super Straight poo for 6 yrs till they changed the formulation and I've been searching for a poo that won't irritate my allergies. After a lot of $ and much scalp irritation I came across Calif Baby super sensitive poo and cond and have been using it for a week now. I like it, my hair doesn't feel weighed down and its soft (I have fine straight virgin hair). Im wondering of since it's a baby shampoo will it keep my hair healthy? I wash my hair every day and blow dry on the lowest heat setting and Im done, I dont use styling products or tools so my hairs pretty healthy and I dont know if a baby poo (although made for adults too) is going to keep it healthy. Any thoughts?

VanillaTresses
October 4th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I think that if you don't use styling products and if you don't do heat styling that it will probably be fine. If you want to keep doing the heat styling, then maybe it would be better to use something with 'cones to attempt to protect the hair.

morecowbell
October 4th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I used baby shampoo for awhile before going to conditioner only. It was okay, definitely not any less stripping than a regular shampoo, though. You might try CO, there are quite a few people on this site who have fine hair and have had success with CO.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

KristiLe
October 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
I have been using the generic version of Johnson's Baby Shampoo and I love it. It makes my super thick, kind of coarse hair feel light as air, and softer too. I wash my hair every third day and condition every time, no heat and no styling products. Hope this helps!

healthystheway
October 4th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Great responses and very much appreciated! I have super oily hair at the roots and cannot go a day w/o washing it I have tried CO but it didn't really work for me. The ingredients in the CB poo/cond are wonderful (from what I know) and I do believe the cond has a sunscreen in it. I have no idea why Im so sensitive to shampoos but this brand doesnt have sulfates or cones and I thought that was good? Im trying to educate myself about hair products so forgive my ignorance. I just dont need a poo that gives volume or moisture, I just wanted a healthy shampoo that would clean my hair. I love this forum, all the help, you guys are great :)

Kaijah
October 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I've been using the Super Sensitive version of their shampoo for... a good year and a half, or thereabouts. My hair and scalp have never been better. :) Glucoside cleansers are some of the gentlest available.

Gothic Lolita
October 4th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I use baby shampoo almost every wash and like it! It's softer on my scalp and my hair likes it too.
Baby shampoos are often more alkaline than regular shampoo so you might want to do an acidic rinse afterwards. I don't do this as my hair seems to like it alkaline but I also use Condish and condish is acidic.
Good luck using it! I've found that it's the best for my hair, I can dilute it and it's wayx cheaper than the next-best adult shampoo I could use.

habioku
October 4th, 2010, 09:52 AM
I love baby shampoo for 8 month and my hair looked never so good than now! :) Furthermore it helped to fix my sensitive scalp problems (dandruff, iching). I'll never use another shampoo :).

Coffeebug
October 4th, 2010, 12:33 PM
If it's working for you, it's working for you! I think anything is worth a go at least once.

Except possibly Johnsons Detangling Baby shampoo... ye godfathers, that stuff created a total nightmare both with my scalp and hair hahahaha!

faeflame
October 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I've been using the Calif Baby Sensitive for several months and it is great! I'm superduper sensitive, I even developed a reaction to washing with Rhassoul clay, and this doesn't aggravate any allergies for me or cause any reactions. I am always on the lookout anymore for the gentlest shampoos with the most natural ingredients and Calif Baby and Aubrey's seem to come out on top for me, FWIW.

Pumpkin
October 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
After experimenting with different washing methods, I have found that for my scalp, (itches) that Johnson's Baby Shampoo is working out great for me. My scalp is cleared up completely.

I do not use any styling product or heat on my hair.

As for conditioner, I use a spray, leave-in type. So far, my hair is looking just fine.

Lamb
October 4th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Baby shampoo is not recommended for adults because its ph value is set so it does not irritate babies' eyes. As someone else said, baby shampoo is alkaline, so it may not be your best bet.
Look around, there have been several discussions on baby shampoo in the products forum.

I remember Johnsons's baby shampoo was very harsh on my hair when I tried it some years ago - I can use kids' shampoo without problems, though. :shrug:

Intransigentia
October 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I feel that the concern about baby shampoo being alkaline is unfounded, especially considering that people have had success washing with baking soda, which is decidedly alkaline, while according to the MSDS sheet (http://wfldelearn.pssd.com/BinderView_PSS/vault/006/006443.pdf), Johnson baby shampoo (not sure about others) is roughly pH-neutral (6.8 - 7.2). This is in fact more alkaline than some grown-up shampoos, but it's also less alkaline than a lot of tap water - in my city the average pH is 7.7. I have no doubt that some people have had problems with baby shampoo - nothing works for everybody - but I don't think pH is the major culprit.

On the anecdotal evidence side, I have been using 50% dilute generic baby shampoo and having good results. Habioku, who already posted on this thread,has been using baby shampoo for longer than I have. She just posted some jaw-droppingly gorgeous (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56654) progress pictures.

Kaijah
October 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I feel that the concern about baby shampoo being alkaline is unfounded, especially considering that people have had success washing with baking soda, which is decidedly alkaline, while according to the MSDS sheet (http://wfldelearn.pssd.com/BinderView_PSS/vault/006/006443.pdf), Johnson baby shampoo (not sure about others) is roughly pH-neutral (6.8 - 7.2). This is in fact more alkaline than some grown-up shampoos, but it's also less alkaline than a lot of tap water - in my city the average pH is 7.7. I have no doubt that some people have had problems with baby shampoo - nothing works for everybody - but I don't think pH is the major culprit.

Seconding this. Usually those "alkaline" baby shampoos have a pH of about 7.0, because they're the tear-free formulas. They're just the ones that are supposed to match the pH of eyes to keep from stinging.

Speaking as someone who has tap water with a pH of 9.5, with kH and gH that are (literally) off the charts on water tests, I don't think a neutral shampoo will cause many problems. :rolling:

ktani
October 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
First let me say hi! Now I have a ? I used Pureology Super Straight poo for 6 yrs till they changed the formulation and I've been searching for a poo that won't irritate my allergies. After a lot of $ and much scalp irritation I came across Calif Baby super sensitive poo and cond and have been using it for a week now. I like it, my hair doesn't feel weighed down and its soft (I have fine straight virgin hair). Im wondering of since it's a baby shampoo will it keep my hair healthy? I wash my hair every day and blow dry on the lowest heat setting and Im done, I dont use styling products or tools so my hairs pretty healthy and I dont know if a baby poo (although made for adults too) is going to keep it healthy. Any thoughts?

Welcome to LHC!

Not all baby shampoos are the same. While most are slightly alkaline, the conditioner which would be acidic, should take care of that and the bottom line is your results. You are not having problems. Your hair should be just fine.

vampbutterfly
October 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
i used to use baby shampoo(J&J). it didnt do any harm :cool: and i used heat:rolleyes:

healthystheway
October 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks to all that are replying! Im learning more and more but I am confused about the alkaline thing. I dont understand what it means nor do I know the ph of my water, we're on well water. But I did want to post the ingredients for the CB poo so maybe those who know about what makes a good shampoo can tell me if these are good ingredients. But thanks again, this forum is beyond helpful!
Aqua (Purified Water), *Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera), *Decyl Glucoside and *Lauryl Glucoside (Corn, Coconut and Palm), Quillaja Saponaria (Soap Bark), Herbal Blend of: *Cereus Grandiflorus Extract (Cactus), *Calendula Officinalis (Calendula), *Carrageenan (Irish Moss), *Viola Tricolor Extract (Pansy), *Salix Alba (Willow Bark), and *Yucca Aloifolia Extract (Yucca), Vegetable Glycerin, *Simmondsia Chinensis Oil (Jojoba Oil), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Citrus Grandis Seed Extract (Grapefruit), Polyaminopropyl Biguanide (Extremely Mild Non-Invasive Preservative). No fragrance, clear formula chemicals or scent masking agents.

WaitingSoLong
October 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
OOh, good thread. I have been considering baby shampoo again myself. I do recall using it before and it seemed to leave my hair crunchy, as the LHC term goes. I do not think it did a vert good job clarifying, either. But if there are no sulfates...however the baby shampoo I had last DID have sulfates, which is why I stopped using it.

I use baby shampoo on my dog as he has some severe eye conditions. It is J&J, but a new formula. I am seeing an allergist and I am on all the "free" products except in the shampoo department because they basically do not exist. The one product they gave me samples of is very expensive, has to be ordered and has sulfates in it.

I have a scalp condition from time to time. No shampoo I have ever used helps/aggravates it, except the Rx shampoo that is medicated. Maybe baby shampoo would help there, too!

Funny though, I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection and my scalp condition magically disappeared. Hmm.....

Going to read Habioku's hair care routine...

Intransigentia
October 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks to all that are replying! Im learning more and more but I am confused about the alkaline thing. I dont understand what it means nor do I know the ph of my water, we're on well water.

{nerd}
Quick chemistry lesson: alkaline means the opposite of acidic. Both can be described as a continuum. For example, you could say that baking soda is less alkaline than lye, or you could say baking soda is more acidic than lye, even though both substances are alkaline.

pH is a number that describes where on the scale of acidity/alkalinity a substance sits. Some reference points (courtesy Wikimedia commons)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/PH_Scale.svg/200px-PH_Scale.svg.png

healthystheway
October 4th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Can anyone recommend a good conditioner to accompany the CB shampoo? I use theirs but as natural as it is it's not very conditioning. I have fine hair that gets weighed down easily so I'm hoping for a good cond rec. And you all have beautiful hair! It's nice to know I'm not the only one using baby shampoo :)

Loviatar
October 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I just bought some baby shampoo today after reading Habioku's home page :oops:

I searched for ages to find a conditioner that didnt weigh my fine hair down. Over time and with henna my hair is now fine-to-medium, and I have tried various conditioners on the way, but Biolage conditioner has proved to be the best one for me. It does not have silicones.

Anisaa
October 9th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hi everyone!! I hope everyone is having a great weekend :D I was wondering if anyone uses baby shampoo to wash their hair. I heard on a youtube channel that it was great to promote longer hair and it wasnt as harsh as "regular" shampoos. Has anyone experienced baby shampoos, if so how do you feel about them.

McFearless
October 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Yeah I've used them in the past. I find they are just as harsh as regular shampoos. They leave my hair feeling too clean. Its a good feeling for the scalp but my hair feels stripped.

I do use L'Oreal Kids products though.

BelleBot
October 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Baby shampoos are usually very simple, if you look their ingredients lists are very short so they're not packed with chemicals and perfumes.
However they're designed to deal with cradle cap so can really strip your hair of all it's oils, I wouldn't exactly call them gentle as such, in fact they're probably harsher than most shampoos, they're excellent for clarifying though.

girlcat36
October 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I prefer to use an extra gentle, sulfate-free organic shampoo.

KristiLe
October 9th, 2010, 08:36 PM
I use it once or twice a week, on my scalp only then heavy conditioning from the ears down, and I have had pretty good results with it, my thick heavy hair feels lighter and more "flowy". I've been using the generic brand of Johnson's baby shampoo.

UltraBella
October 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
The cradle cap comment is exactly right, so although baby shampoo is free of dyes and perfumes it is very very harsh and I would never use it on my hair.

Ninika
October 10th, 2010, 01:45 AM
From what I remember, baby shampoo usually has a ph of 5,5 so it doesn't sting when it gets into the eyes. This alkaline ph is not so good for hair, where you'd want something more acidic that closes the cuticle instead of raising it and swelling the hair shaft.

And one more thing, many baby shampoos contain SLS, which is not exactly gentle. If you want a gentle shampoo, try any one that contains coco glucoside as a surfactant. Aside from COing, this is probably as gentle as it gets.

Loreley
October 10th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I use baby shampoo. It's sulfate-free (and cone-free of course), very gentle and it gives a great slip and shine to my hair. I love it!
I tried many baby shampoos and most of them were horrible (for example Johnson&Johnson). They were very drying. Fortunately I found this one, it works great and it's pretty cheap. :cheese:

Dreams_in_Pink
October 10th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I agree to above comments that it is harsh. The only advantage would be that it doesn't hurt the eyes.

KittyLost
October 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I also use the L'oreal kids range and that one is fine however I agree that baby shampoo's are too harsh, there was talk on another thread about the PH balance being different and that's why baby shampoo was not beneficial to adult hair.

ooo
October 10th, 2010, 03:54 AM
In the past I bought baby shampoo from time to time. Thought I always check the INCIs first. Some are harsher then others.

JenniferNoel
October 10th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I used to use baby shampoo and had half-decent results. It didn't seem to be any better for my hair than "regular" shampoo (e.g. SLS) nor did I see any growth-related improvements.
It wasn't very cleansing, either. But my hair type requires a strong cleansing shampoo to get anything sorted out once a week.

xoLegallyAubrey
October 10th, 2010, 07:44 AM
http://www.johnsonsbaby.com/introducing-johnsons-natural

The shampoo there is actually quite good. I use it about once every three days (when I wash my hair) and it's very gentle and doesn't seem to be doing much damage. That being said, I don't think it would be good for every day use, but I use this without conditioner even, and I am left without tangles, no frizz, and my hair's elusive waves even come out to play. =)

growing2shine
October 10th, 2010, 11:24 AM
After joining this forum I may have developed baby shampoo fobia. After reading about how drying and harsh most of it is shudder: ... But I guess I will be very aware of checking the ingredients. :lol:

beez1717
October 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I get dandruff from baby shampoo. That's why I don't like it. If stay away. Now I'm afraid of the stuff!

Coffeebug
October 10th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My hair absolutely HATED Johnsons Detangling baby shampoo - it did just the opposite and turned it into a matted wreck.

Copasetic
October 10th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Did the person in the youtube video say that baby shampoo actually helps hair grow faster or longer? That's absurd!

enfys
October 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I haven't used baby shampoo since I was a baby and my hair is longer, thicker and stronger now so I don't think it's neccessary ;)

ktani
October 11th, 2010, 07:30 AM
The amount used and frequency of use, as well as how an ingredient is used (method) and formulation, determines how an ingredient can affect skin, eyes or hair. Soapnuts (aritha) for example can be very drying to hair for some, and sting like mad based on reports here, leaving eyes bloodshot for hours if a solution of them accidently gets in the eyes. Saponins from shikakai can have the same results. Saponins do not pose a high toxity risk to humans when ingested. However, they should not be allowed to get into the bloodstream.

Peer reviewed article authored by (Kefei Hu, Saideh Berenjian, Rolf Larsson, et al), http://www.dovepress.com/nanoparticulate-quillaja-saponin-induces-apoptosis-in-human-leukemia-c-peer-reviewed-article-IJN, 2010
"Saponin fractions of Quillaja saponaria Molina (QS) have cytotoxic activity against cancer cells in vitro, but are too toxic to be useful in the clinic. The toxic effect was abolished by converting QS fractions into stable nanoparticles through the binding of QS to cholesterol."

CIR Information 2010, http://www.cir-safety.org/findings.shtml
"The Cosmetic Ingredient Review thoroughly reviews and assesses the safety of ingredients used in cosmetics in an open, unbiased, and expert manner, and publishes the results in the peer-reviewed scientific literature."

SLS
"Ingredients found Safe with qualifications, last updated 09/14/10.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - safe for use in rinse-off products; but 1% for leave-on products

SLES
"Ingredients found Safe as used, last updated 09/14/10.
Sodium Laureth Sulfate - up to 50%

Loviatar
October 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Since trying the baby shampoo I would say I may have found a HG product. :)

My hair is fuller looking which is great as I am a finey, but it does not feel stripped.

I am using Weleda calendula baby shampoo with coco glucoside, and if I want a 'sulfatey' clean, I am using Superdrug plain baby shampoo. It has more ingredients than Johnson's and SLS is further down the list. I also dislike the Johnson's smell.

I can detangle without conditioner using baby shampoo, too, and my hair feels like it has more of the natural oils left in it. This may be because I pre-oil a little beforehand on the length, then slather the length in conefree conditioner (Inecto). I use the BS on my scalp and it runs down the length.

I am very pleased :)

But one must remember with all hair products - which I don't always think we do, here on LHC - each to their own. Many on here think baby shampoo is too harsh. I really like it and others have good results with it. YMMV.

:flower:

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 07:01 PM
My hubby used to use a very oily baby shampoo, it do not work for me, it is to fatty, my hair look dirty the next day after washing it, so for me baby shampoo, or at least that baby shampoo did not work. Generally I think baby shampoo is best for baby hair just like dog shampoo is best on dog hair.

ktani
October 13th, 2010, 04:19 AM
These days there are many varieties of baby shampoo on the market and they are not all alkaline, contain sulfates or cause problems for adult hair and scalps.

I remember seeing a baby shampoo in a dollar store that claimed it was acid balanced and it was recommended on the bottle for the whole family to use. I cannot remember the name of it though.

ETA: I almost forgot. Here in Canada, there is a Candian brand of baby shampoo called Essaim Baby Shampoo. For a while I was using it as a liquid hand soap. I bought it at a local dollar store and pH tested it with my paper strips. It is about pH 5.5. I was quite surprised. It is very mild.

rena
November 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I guess J&J straight up baby shampoo is not a good option...but what about the 2 in 1s and conditioning formulas? I know no-more-tangles implies use for actual hair and not cradle cap...so does that mean these would be better for hair or should they also be as ferventely avoided by adults? Thanks!

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I finally settled the baby shampoo alkaline issue re Johnson's Baby Shampoo, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1361462&postcount=631.

I think that the reason baby shampoo causes issues like tangling on adult hair has far more to do with the products used by adults as opposed to a baby shampoo being alkaline. I now think that most baby shampoos are acidic.

A baby shampoo may not be strong enough to remove conditioner residue. If one wants to start using baby shampoo, I think clarifying the hair first may help. It depends on how the shampoo is used as well.

It can and has been reported to make a great choice for adding coconut oil to it, depending on the ingredients, and using one that way may not require conditioner to be used after it.

Debra83
November 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
This was the hair growth secret I found on you tube!!! You can check out my blog for the results so far, even if it is a little early for the official judgment!!! This thread came up, so I thought I'd spill the beans already. It's an experiment in progress, but if the results I got so far are anything to go by, it may actually have some merit. Jury is out until Christmas though, because then it will be a month I've been trying it.

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
This was the hair growth secret I found on you tube!!! You can check out my blog for the results so far, even if it is a little early for the official judgment!!! This thread came up, so I thought I'd spill the beans already. It's an experiment in progress, but if the results I got so far are anything to go by, it may actually have some merit. Jury is out until Christmas though, because then it will be a month I've been trying it.

I looked at your blog and found reference to the hair secet but not the secret. Can you not just post it here please?

rena
November 30th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Okay, great :) I do use no-more-tangles 2 in 1 because its supposed to be gentler, and I practically don't use any products. I am only washing out natural dirt/oil and my hair always feels clean afterward. I was just worried that I might be hurting my hair reading all the negative info on J & J, but I'm glad I can still use it since its acidic.

But if I am perchance making a big mistake, please let me know, if you don't mind. I am a *young* noob and am just learning my first tidbits of proper haircair :o

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Okay, great :) I do use no-more-tangles 2 in 1 because its supposed to be gentler, and I practically don't use any products. I am only washing out natural dirt/oil and my hair always feels clean afterward. I was just worried that I might be hurting my hair reading all the negative info on J & J, but I'm glad I can still use it since its acidic.

But if I am perchance making a big mistake, please let me know, if you don't mind. I am a *young* noob and am just learning my first tidbits of proper haircair :o

Welcome to LHC!

There is nothing wrong with what you are using. You and your hair are safe. Do not believe all of the hype. There are financial reasons behind that, not safety issues http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1359281&postcount=592.

Debra83
November 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I looked at your blog and found reference to the hair secet but not the secret. Can you not just post it here please?

Oops! Yeah, I wasn't going to post it until I knew for sure it worked, but it's on my blog now with a disclaimer!!!! I just couldn't believe there was an old thread here about Baby Shampoo - never saw it before!!!

Debra83
November 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Since trying the baby shampoo I would say I may have found a HG product. :)

My hair is fuller looking which is great as I am a finey, but it does not feel stripped.

I am using Weleda calendula baby shampoo with coco glucoside, and if I want a 'sulfatey' clean, I am using Superdrug plain baby shampoo. It has more ingredients than Johnson's and SLS is further down the list. I also dislike the Johnson's smell.

I can detangle without conditioner using baby shampoo, too, and my hair feels like it has more of the natural oils left in it. This may be because I pre-oil a little beforehand on the length, then slather the length in conefree conditioner (Inecto). I use the BS on my scalp and it runs down the length.

I am very pleased :)

But one must remember with all hair products - which I don't always think we do, here on LHC - each to their own. Many on here think baby shampoo is too harsh. I really like it and others have good results with it. YMMV.

:flower:

What does "HG" mean? I'm sorry, I'm tired!

Elenna
November 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Holy Grail as in found the best product.

ktani
November 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Oops! Yeah, I wasn't going to post it until I knew for sure it worked, but it's on my blog now with a disclaimer!!!! I just couldn't believe there was an old thread here about Baby Shampoo - never saw it before!!!

Thank you for the blog post.

There are several threads here about baby shampoo.

I posted this the other day. It is from 2003 and it contains references to baby shampoo and hair loss, http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=137974. Here is the entire post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1359281&postcount=592.

Apparently it has caused debate for years. Since there are many baby shampoos on the market, if any of them resulted in hair growth, I doubt that it would be a secret for long.

Debra83
December 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
I don't know....we all seem to "grow" out of baby shampoo to bigger and "better" things with more cones, and "ates". For the first 12 years of my life, my mom had baby shampoo for me. And I had shiny, soft, manageable hair, naturally wavy. Then I took over and never looked back at baby shampoo. I'm trying it now as the w in cwc. I already posted some results I've seen since using it, we'll see what happens as I go forward. I'm using Johnson's by the way. I don't think they've played around too much with the formula either, if at all?

By the way, ktani, thanks for the link, and thanks for all the incredible research you do! It's invaluable to all us reasearchaholics-but-don't-have-the-time people. :D

ktani
December 3rd, 2010, 08:00 AM
I don't know....we all seem to "grow" out of baby shampoo to bigger and "better" things with more cones, and "ates". For the first 12 years of my life, my mom had baby shampoo for me. And I had shiny, soft, manageable hair, naturally wavy. Then I took over and never looked back at baby shampoo. I'm trying it now as the w in cwc. I already posted some results I've seen since using it, we'll see what happens as I go forward. I'm using Johnson's by the way. I don't think they've played around too much with the formula either, if at all?

By the way, ktani, thanks for the link, and thanks for all the incredible research you do! It's invaluable to all us reasearchaholics-but-don't-have-the-time people. :D

You are most welcome and thank you!

Johnson's did change the formula somewhat a while back but not in the past 7 years, from that report I linked on the breakdown of its ingredients. That is what I meant if something needed to be removed for whatever reason it would have been. They are not changing the formula to make it do "special" things.They have other versions of it for that.

I agree that people abandon baby shampoo in general as they get older. However, it also depends on one's hair care routine. Baby shampoo cannot necessarily deal with styling products and that is no doubt why use of it results in tangles for some people.

I get where you are coming from with your childhood hair as a comparison, in terms of how it looked and felt with baby shampoo. You need to remember though, that as we age (puberty), and other milestones, hair changes too.

LaurelSpring
December 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM

That pretty much killed any desire I had to try it!! shudder:

I had tried Burts Bees Baby Bee. I didnt really have any problems with that. It is expensive though.

Debra83
December 3rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Thank you for the blog post.

There are several threads here about baby shampoo.

I posted this the other day. It is from 2003 and it contains references to baby shampoo and hair loss, http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=137974. Here is the entire post, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1359281&postcount=592.

Apparently it has caused debate for years. Since there are many baby shampoos on the market, if any of them resulted in hair growth, I doubt that it would be a secret for long.

I was SO surprised to read that Baby Shampoo contains coconut oil and citric acid. No wonder I've been noticing my hair getting even shinier!

ktani
December 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM
I was SO surprised to read that Baby Shampoo contains coconut oil and citric acid. No wonder I've been noticing my hair getting even shinier!

It does not contain coconut oil.

The post links are from the "Movie Star" thread I started, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025, where people are experimenting with cleansing choices for a coconut oil shampoo. Jonson's Baby shampoo has not been reported yet to be tried. The Head-To-Toe baby wash has been tried.

It can be used with coconut oil added to, it to create a coconut oil shampoo.

The ingredients are listed here, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1359281&postcount=592.

It is acidic, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1361462&postcount=631.

LaurelSpring
December 11th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I was in the dollar store the other day and broke down and got some generic baby shampoo to try because...you know how it is...you've got to at least try everything.

I actually got a baby wash. It has shea and cocoa butter and luckily for me, no citric acid so I gave it a try last night. My hair turned out amazing! I didnt even condition it because it has some mineral oil and moisturizers in it. I didnt even really need any conditioner although my ends were a bit crunchy so next time I will C before W ends only. I set my hair on sponge rollers and got the best curl formations I have ever got before with lots of volume. As long as my head doesnt start itching from anything in this I think I am sold on this stuff and its only $1!!!!! :cheese:

I did also get a bottle of regular baby shampoo. This stuff has sorbic acid and has a note at the bottom that it may contain citric acid so I am more leary of that. Citric acid makes me itch and its been so hard to find anything without it. I am going to give it a whirl but this bottle may go to Grandbaby. Either way I am so very happy about the Baby Wash right now. Maybe I have finally found my shampoo.

Update: Baby shampoo made my head itch but my hair looked great.

On a side note, I also picked up another baby brush. I saw a youtube awhile back about one girls hair routine and she only used a baby brush on her hair. I am finding that I love this idea(of course my hair is fine). It smooths nicely without damage. I use the BBB to stimulate my scalp, then smooth and distribute oils with the baby brush.

nowxisxforever
December 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
After experimenting with different washing methods, I have found that for my scalp, (itches) that Johnson's Baby Shampoo is working out great for me. My scalp is cleared up completely.

I love baby shampoo for 8 month and my hair looked never so good than now! Furthermore it helped to fix my sensitive scalp problems (dandruff, iching). I'll never use another shampoo .

I've got some, and I'm going to try it! I've always had a really gunky, itchy, dandruffy, nasty scalp and nothing's ever worked. Wish me luck. :)

MaKenna90
December 18th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I used baby shampoo a few months ago (because i ran out of my normal shampoo and had some in the cupboard so i figured 'what the heck') It really dried my hair out and left it really dull.

nowxisxforever
December 18th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Two washes with baby shampoo so far, my hair seems to be doing fine. My scalp is pretty standard, though drier than normal - this is good, since my scalp gets really gunky, and if it gets too ... moisturized ... ---- TMI!! ---- it's a very gooey, gross gunk, like my scalp has sludge on it. Ughhhhh.

So now, instead of that, the dandruff is coming in normal flakes, and my scalp is mostly dry. This is nice. Still itches and all that, but myehhhh, I'm going to be using henna here soon, which usually clears my scalp mostly up for a while.

lingxi
January 14th, 2011, 01:45 AM
On the one occasion I pinched some of my brother's shampoo (this was back when he was a really little kid) it left my hair dry and brittle. I would say it depends on your hair. Some take it better than others.

BellCat
January 14th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I have fine thin hair and its very gentle on my scalp. I use johnsons baby with chamomille. Because my scalp is sooo oily I like this because it is gentle. I also wanted to buy it as I read doctors would suggest it to people suffering from hair loss? it just made me think it must be gentle :P and someone on youtube claimed her hair grew really fast using it lol

stkl
February 28th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I use the johnsons cammomile one and think its brilliant :) leave my hair very soft and shiny but does seem to make it get greasier quicker

JRC
June 3rd, 2015, 09:54 PM
BellCat,

It's interesting to read that somebody on You Tube found that her hair grew really quickly when she used baby shampoo, especially if it was the one with chamomile in it. I read an article by a cometic company once that said chamomile encourages hair growth, which is why they didn't use chamomile in their face moisturiser and cleanser.

Inga-Marjukka
June 9th, 2016, 02:58 PM
BellCat,

It's interesting to read that somebody on You Tube found that her hair grew really quickly when she used baby shampoo, especially if it was the one with chamomile in it. I read an article by a cometic company once that said chamomile encourages hair growth, which is why they didn't use chamomile in their face moisturiser and cleanser.

I've wanted to give Johnson's Calming Lavender baby shampoo a go for a long time now because stuff that makes you sleepy seems brilliant for night washes :lol: I'm not sure it actually has chamomile in it though, it just says it has a lavender and chamomile scent. A growth boost is always welcome so chamomile, here I come with my high hopes :pray:

Whirled_peas
June 9th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I use lavender baby shampoo, it's never given me any troubles.

lapushka
June 10th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I use lavender baby shampoo, it's never given me any troubles.

YMMV. Whatever works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)