PDA

View Full Version : Scared of the big bad boar bristle brush lol

RachelRose
January 4th, 2015, 03:28 PM
ok so my fears are probably unfounded but upon searching the forums I found several accounts of people claiming damage from bbb or saying brushing in general isn't good . I know common sense is if you see damage then stop using it but I'm afraid to even try it out lol. How is it I'm a total product junkie but afraid of a hair brush ? anyone have any testimonials or bad experiences especially with a similar hair type to mine ? If you do use it what are your routines , strokes, minutes brushing etc?:o

Madora
January 4th, 2015, 03:45 PM
My hair type is not the same as yours but there is no reason you can't use a boar bristle brush safely, provided you have the right type of bbb and you use the proper technique. Brushing is more than just putting the brush to your hair and starting to brush. You use a wide tooth comb first, before that brush touches your head, to gently detangle all your hair. Then you use the boar bristle brush, in the bent at the waist position.

If you have not brushed before, then you need to go slowly, and only do 10 strokes at first, and over the next two weeks gradually increase the amount of strokes. Your follicles need to be trained to accept the new position they are being drawn to. Of course you can brush standing erect too, but you miss out on the benefits of better scalp stimulation.

If you'd like to know more about boar bristle brushes and how to buy/use them, please pm me and I'll be glad to help. I adore bbbing and have been doing it for more than 40+ years, with great results. Brushing is the only thing I do for my hair and if done properly, with the right brush, leaves you with shiny, soft, beautiful healthy hair. The number of strokes is up to you. Naturally, it is better if you brush every day, than haphazardly, if you want to enjoy the full results of what brushing can do. Consistency is important when brushing, not number of strokes brushed.

RachelRose
January 4th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks Madora :) ! I bought the conair wooden 100% boar bristle brush . It feels fairly soft compared to the other ones I felt which prob had nylon in them . If I start I don't know if I can stop at 10 lol . I'm either nothing or overboard almost . Geez I need some balance In my life ;)

Madora
January 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Thanks Madora :) ! I bought the conair wooden 100% boar bristle brush . It feels fairly soft compared to the other ones I felt which prob had nylon in them . If I start I don't know if I can stop at 10 lol . I'm either nothing or overboard almost . Geez I need some balance In my life ;)

I don't know which Conair bbb you have but just go easy with the brushing...otherwise your scalp will hurt like the dickens because the follicles will protest mightly.

Salty Sloth
January 4th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I have to keep from squealing after I touch my hair after using my BBB because OH MY GOD SO SOFT

RachelRose
January 4th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Salty sloth you have me rolling lol so no one has noticed an increase in splits or damage ?? And Madora dually noted I will proceed with caution or learn the hard way teehee :)

Nadine <3
January 4th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I have the same problem. I'll brush with it, but nervously because my fine hair is picky and I worry about causing damage. I'm just going slowly and doing damage checks often. If I find an increase in splits I'll stop.

Fairina
January 4th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I hope no one minds that this is slightly unrelated, but do you know of a vegan alternative to a BBB? I am really looking to get one. I think that brushing won't always damage the hair! Especially since boar bristle is excellent at just spreading the sebum and not actually detangling or damaging.

RachelRose
January 4th, 2015, 04:39 PM
When I was looking for my brush I seen one by Eco that was animal friendly and felt nice and mentioned spreading oils etc .

Fairina
January 4th, 2015, 04:43 PM
When I was looking for my brush I seen one by Eco that was animal friendly and felt nice and mentioned spreading oils etc .

Thank you I'll look for that! I just watched a few videos of the benefits of BBB brushing, george michael, (madora follows his methods) really seems to recommend it.

DMARTINEZ
January 4th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I'd like a recommendation for a good reasonably priced Bbb. I have thickish coarse hair,and alot of white hair!

browneyedsusan
January 4th, 2015, 05:06 PM
I'd like a recommendation for a good reasonably priced Bbb. I have thickish coarse hair,and alot of white hair!

I've got a Conair 100% boar bristle brush from Walmart. I think it was 7 or 8$? I've seen them at CVS, too. :)

:agree: I just started using mine regularly.

_____

Laura Long Locks has a BBB tutorial on youtube. I'll try to link it up --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpcpmeNJ48

Madora
January 4th, 2015, 05:09 PM

If you live in the US, DMartinez, you might like to investigate the Conair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster, available at Target, for about $9.99. It is 100% pure bbb with 6 rows of nicely spaced boar bristle klumps. The back of the brush is flat, about 2 inches across and about 8 inches long (rounded at the top). There is a hole in the handle and around the neck of the brush is a small black, nubby Neophrene-like band that is supposed to give your finger a better grip on the brush as you use it. My hair hated that band so I took a boxcutter and cut it away. The bristles themselves are moderately stiff and do NOT penetrate all the way down to your scalp. Be that as it may, I liked it so much I bought 2 of them. One other caution: I washed the brush and was dismayed when it shed like a cat. I've never had this problem with all my previous bbbs and worried that I had purchased a lemon. However, after that initial wash, the brush stopped dropping bristles when I washed it and has been a great addition to my hairbrush collection. My hair is moderately thick and I found the Conair did just fine. I use my Madora brush if I want to penetrate right down to the scalp when brushing. Also, be sure to detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb BEFORE the brush meets your hair!

RachelRose
January 4th, 2015, 05:28 PM
I tried it and I love Love love it ! I didn't stop at 10 madora :blushing: and I see what you mean about scalp tenderness I prob did about 30 and it's ever so slightly tender and definitely stimulated. My grown out layers and side part combined with the boar bristle gave me Jessica rabbit hair :)

Sharysa
January 4th, 2015, 06:49 PM
The main difference regarding boar bristle brushes is texture. IN GENERAL: People with straight hair love bbbs, but anyone with significant waves and curls will face frizz and damage because it wrecks the curls' clumping pattern and pulls the waves out.

Angela_Rose
January 4th, 2015, 08:35 PM
^^^^^ Case in point!!
I am a wurly girl, and while I do continue to use my BBB, I do find that it gives me "tent hair" and disrupts my wurl pattern. But I keep using it because the oil distribution is unmatched and I love the soft feel of my hair after use.

LadyLongLocks
January 4th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Glad to hear you are using the Madora brush now. I was feeling badly that you did not like it when you first got it. It's the only bbb that can penetrate to my scalp. BBB at my floor length is difficult now for me.

spirals
January 5th, 2015, 12:23 AM
I'm a curly who uses one. What happens is not what I would call damage at all; I make sure it's detangled before using my BBB. What happens is pouffiness and frizz. But that's temporary and a non-issue if I run a comb through after brushing, or if I put my hair up. If anything, the brush helps my hair by distributing oils and taking out lint, which contributes to tangles. Now, I have dry sebum which is hard to draw down from the scalp, so I like to lightly spray my brush with oil and start at the ends of my hair. This ensures a nice oiling without greasiness. I got a boar/nylon hybrid cushioned paddle with a wood handle at Sally's and really like it. It's nice to use and a nice-looking brush as well. Go for it!

Panth
January 5th, 2015, 03:04 AM
If I use them I get massive static, pouf and frizz (and yes, that's even with doing it "properly", detangling first and following the brush with my hand to reduce static). I'm sure people who love the BBB would say I just need to practice and learn how to use it "properly" but I don't see the point in doing that when every learning experience looses more hair than I do on washday and puts in tangles via static.

So for me, yes, it most definitely is damaging. And that's despite me being a 1b.

I also suspect that, were I to attempt to use a BBB daily I'd also get serious mechanical wear. I cannot see how that could not happen, especially as I'm an F. You always want to reduce manipulation and abrasion. As I wash approximately twice weekly (rather than doing a near-SO routine, as the BBB routine was initially designed for, back in the Victorian era) I don't have enough sebum hanging around to make the benefits of sebum distribution counteract the downsides of increased abrasion.

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Glad to hear you are using the Madora brush now. I was feeling badly that you did not like it when you first got it. It's the only bbb that can penetrate to my scalp. BBB at my floor length is difficult now for me. Yes, you were spot on about the Madora brush, LadyLongLocks. My hand finally got used to the narrow handle and the tiny space for my thumb at the neck of the brush. Those bristles are magical! The first brush I ever had that actually penetrated my hair all the way down to my scalp! Worth every penny!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Yes, you were spot on about the Madora brush, LadyLongLocks. My hand finally got used to the narrow handle and the tiny space for my thumb at the neck of the brush. Those bristles are magical! The first brush I ever had that actually penetrated my hair all the way down to my scalp! Worth every penny!

Madora, would you say that the Madora brush would be your favourite brush at the moment? What I mean is, would you choose to stock up on them rather than another brush if you could? I love mine, personally, love the way it penetrates to my scalp! I am wondering how often I would need to replace it. ETA: BBBing straightens my waves considerably - I don't worry about that if I am going to bun my hair. If I want to wear it loose with my waves, I just lightly spritz my hair with water after brushing and my waves reappear.

spirals
January 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I do that, too. I use catnip/horsetail tea as a detangler and also curl spritz.

Crumpet
January 5th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Madora, would you say that the Madora brush would be your favourite brush at the moment? What I mean is, would you choose to stock up on them rather than another brush if you could? I love mine, personally, love the way it penetrates to my scalp! I am wondering how often I would need to replace it. ETA: BBBing straightens my waves considerably - I don't worry about that if I am going to bun my hair. If I want to wear it loose with my waves, I just lightly spritz my hair with water after brushing and my waves reappear.

I'm also a wavy and I'm using a BBB again. I don't worry about destroying my wave pattern because I do that anyway when I bun my hair. The upside/bummer about being a 2b/c wavy is that my hair takes on whatever shape I put it in, so I'll get bun-shaped waves whatever I do or don't do to my hair ahead of time.

A quick word on technique: Madora has been kind enough to give advice on proper technique. And it does make a different. It feels strange learning how to brush my hair as a woman in her 30s, but I had to do the same thing with washing my face (using a wash cloth properly made a world of difference in my skin!). There's a thread on George Michael techniques in which both Madora and LLL explain how they brush. Its very helpful for those interested in learning.

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Yes, Sarahlabyrinth, the Madora brush is my favorite brush..period. I never, ever thought anything could replace my love for my Goody brush but the Madora brush, although unconventional at first (only 4 rows, very narrow handle, hardly any room for the thumb), trumps every brush I've ever owned. Those bristles really penetrate beautifully and it feels so wonderful! If I had an oil well or a diamond mine, I'd stock up for sure..but at $40.00 a pop, "stocking up" isn't an option. (Though that is exactly what I did back in the day (with my 3 Goody brushes). I am seriously thinking of getting another Madora when I visit the GM salon in October.

Depending on how you care for your Madora brush, it should last you for at least 7 years...provided you do not use it to spread oils, etc (other than natural sebum). I never recommend using a boar bristle brush to spread any kind of oil because I don't know how any excess oil is going to react with the glue that is holding the bristles in the brush. Also, I'm alternating my bbbs to help extend the life of my Madora brush. One day I'll use the Madora, then wash it. The next day I'll use my Goody brush or my Conair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster brush. Since The Madora brush is so expensive, I thought it was a good idea to alternate brushes.

Crumpet
January 5th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Madora -- how often do you wash your brushes? Do you do it daily? I have a dry cleaning brush I can use to clean my BBB, which is great for removing hair/lint. Its quick and easy to do it daily and I wash once a week. Would you recommend washing more often?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 5th, 2015, 03:25 PM
Yes, Sarahlabyrinth, the Madora brush is my favorite brush..period. I never, ever thought anything could replace my love for my Goody brush but the Madora brush, although unconventional at first (only 4 rows, very narrow handle, hardly any room for the thumb), trumps every brush I've ever owned. Those bristles really penetrate beautifully and it feels so wonderful! If I had an oil well or a diamond mine, I'd stock up for sure..but at $40.00 a pop, "stocking up" isn't an option. (Though that is exactly what I did back in the day (with my 3 Goody brushes). I am seriously thinking of getting another Madora when I visit the GM salon in October.

Depending on how you care for your Madora brush, it should last you for at least 7 years...provided you do not use it to spread oils, etc (other than natural sebum). I never recommend using a boar bristle brush to spread any kind of oil because I don't know how any excess oil is going to react with the glue that is holding the bristles in the brush. Also, I'm alternating my bbbs to help extend the life of my Madora brush. One day I'll use the Madora, then wash it. The next day I'll use my Goody brush or my Conair Classic Wood Natural Shine Booster brush. Since The Madora brush is so expensive, I thought it was a good idea to alternate brushes.

Thank you Madora:) Yes $40 for a hair brush is really expensive (and it is pretty much double that in my currency). However, if you calculate that you could get 7 years' use out of it, that kind of modifies the horror of paying that price. I think I will stock up with several at the salon in Oct, since you say it is a great brush - and you should know! I do think it feels so wonderful and so I might as well get them while I can. I could get several Conair brushes too. I am saving hard for October, I tell you:)

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 07:05 PM
Madora -- how often do you wash your brushes? Do you do it daily? I have a dry cleaning brush I can use to clean my BBB, which is great for removing hair/lint. Its quick and easy to do it daily and I wash once a week. Would you recommend washing more often?

Yes, I wash my brush and comb daily (after I use my hair rake to get out the tiny bits of lint and small hairs that get stuck at the bottom of the bristle clumps). Now I never used to do this daily washing but I figure since I only shampoo my hair once a month, the best way to stretch my washes is to keep my hair as clean as possible...so if I use a clean brush every day, this cuts down even further on my hair picking up more dirt (for a brush tends to pick up lint, etc.) and if you have an oily scalp (which I do not) then it is even more important to keep your brush clean. My daily brush cleaning is pretty swift: use a bit of Neutrogena hand soap on a nail brush to get it soapy, then run the soapy nail brush thru the bristle clumps several times (up/down/sideways), then rinse with cold, running water. Shake the brush, then run my fingers over the bristles several times to expel even more water. Dry the wooden parts of the brush with a towel, then lay the brush down on a lint free towel (bristles side down!), out of direct sunlight. When dry, place in a baggie. The brush is given a proper cleaning once a week. I have a tall plastic container into which I place a tablespoon of my GM pink crème shampoo, then add 10 ounces of warm water. Stir thoroughly and immerse the brush so that all the bristles are covered. Let soak for 7 minutes, then rinse with cold, running water as described above. Generally speaking, my brushes last on an average of 7 to 8 years.

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thank you Madora:) Yes $40 for a hair brush is really expensive (and it is pretty much double that in my currency). However, if you calculate that you could get 7 years' use out of it, that kind of modifies the horror of paying that price. I think I will stock up with several at the salon in Oct, since you say it is a great brush - and you should know! I do think it feels so wonderful and so I might as well get them while I can. I could get several Conair brushes too. I am saving hard for October, I tell you:)

Maybe as you're travelling thru the States you may want to stop at some of our drug stores (like Walgreen's or Duane Reed on the east coast) or Target or Wal Mart, and see if they carry the Con Air brush. I might mention here that Con Air makes several types of boar bristle brushes so not all models may be available at all outlets. Also, there's a fairly quick turnover in hair goods so chances are the Con Air brush you're looking for might not be available (not carried any longer). That happened to me with my wonderful Goody Brush from the 1970s. Goody replaced it with an inferior brush. I was so disappointed.

Crumpet
January 5th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Great cleaning tips -- thanks Madora!

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Great cleaning tips -- thanks Madora! My pleasure, Crumpet!

QMacrocarpa
January 5th, 2015, 08:13 PM
As others have said, it depends on your hair. My hair is curly and prone to splits and breakage, so I wouldn't use a BBB. In my teens, when I was using a BBB, my hair got noticeably shorter on one side than the other, and I think it was because I was absent-mindedly brushing more on that side and causing more breakage there. Additionally, my hair is a big lint trap, so I'd be spending lots of time cleaning and ministering to any BBB, which isn't an activity that interests me. I'll stick with my tangle teezer that can be popped into the dishwasher when it needs a good de-linting.

Robot Ninja
January 5th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks to Madora, I actually cleaned my brush. I have no idea how long it's been, and holy lint Batman. I'm still not sure if I got all of it.

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks to Madora, I actually cleaned my brush. I have no idea how long it's been, and holy lint Batman. I'm still not sure if I got all of it.

Robot Ninja, if you have trouble getting those tiny pieces of lint out of your brush, you might want to investigate a metal hair rake..something like this: http://www.mileskimball.com/buy-hair-brush-cleaner-312810

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply, you might want to check out the hair rakes there. The Sally's where I live had two types of hair rakes..but only one was worth purchasing (other was way too flimsy).

FallingDarkness
January 5th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Okay, still on topic (kinda), but I have a BBB and I've never been taught the "bent at the waist" position of hair brushing. I've seen this mentioned often but have been afraid to try it in afraid of getting it WRONG. OH DEAR! Anywho, I assume you bend over at the waist, but do you have your head upside down and brush towards the floor. . . ? :/ Do you detangle like this as well? IDK. If this is way too off topic (I don't think it is, it still pertains to my BBB which I love hasn't damaged my hair yet) then oh well. :P

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Okay, still on topic (kinda), but I have a BBB and I've never been taught the "bent at the waist" position of hair brushing. I've seen this mentioned often but have been afraid to try it in afraid of getting it WRONG. OH DEAR! Anywho, I assume you bend over at the waist, but do you have your head upside down and brush towards the floor. . . ? :/ Do you detangle like this as well? IDK. If this is way too off topic (I don't think it is, it still pertains to my BBB which I love hasn't damaged my hair yet) then oh well. :P

Hi, FallingDarkness! Am pming you with info re: detangling and brushing with a boar bristle brush.

Robot Ninja
January 6th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Robot Ninja, if you have trouble getting those tiny pieces of lint out of your brush, you might want to investigate a metal hair rake..something like this: http://www.mileskimball.com/buy-hair-brush-cleaner-312810

If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply, you might want to check out the hair rakes there. The Sally's where I live had two types of hair rakes..but only one was worth purchasing (other was way too flimsy).

I didn't even know those things existed until now. I was using a fine-toothed comb, which is probably not great for the brush. I'll check Sally's the next time I'm there.