PDA

View Full Version : Horses with super long manes and tails!!

stachelbeere
January 4th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Just came across this article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266904/Meet-Wonder-Horses-19FEET-manes-slept-hair-plaits.html). wow... so beautiful. Incredible

askan
January 4th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Wooha that are a couple of long manes! I hope they weren't too much in the way for the horses. It would have been interesting to see more of how they were braided when they were not wearing the manes down for show. Anyway, really beautiful, thanks for posting! :D

Aurum
January 4th, 2015, 02:37 PM
This kind of thing has come up before. As a horse owner, I feel that this wouldn't be fair to the horse itself. Constant braiding and caretaking would be very time consuming, and the horse wouldn't be able to defend itself against flies and such. My horse has amazing hair genes and could probably grow to this length with help, but I just wouldn't do that to him.
However, you have to consider the time period. These long-haired horses made money and were therefore valuable. That kept them from starving or being slaughtered. So I have mixed feelings about these horses.

StellaKatherine
January 4th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I love the look of the long manes and tails. But to me the ones on the grownd lenght are little too much... That isn't "healthy" lenght for the animal. But that is just my oppinion.

Saddlebredsrus
January 8th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I own saddlebreds and most have lovely long tails. Fresians also too although their tails are braided mostly all year around

Nadine <3
January 8th, 2015, 02:20 PM
It is pretty, but I also have mixed feelings. The time and care that must have gone into that, when does the horse just get to be a horse?