PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Hair: will this style last longer than 5 minutes?

shinyspoon3
January 4th, 2015, 01:05 PM
So I think I'd like to do this with my hair for my wedding: http://theenchantedcove.tumblr.com/image/83020575198
but I don't know how they do that and make it stay. I know there are a lot of hair stylists on here....Has anyone here tried this or had this done? Will it last? Or will the curls separate and spread out, dropping the flowers as soon as I turn my head?

teddygirl
January 4th, 2015, 01:52 PM
There is probably close to 100 bobby pins in there, so the flowers are pinned in. They shouldn't fall out if you turn your head, but maybe if you're dancing.

CurlyCap
January 4th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Yep. Heat curls, hair sprayed into utter submission, with the flowers staying by either wires or pins. If done at a salon, it will be pretty indestructible. But i don't think a hair friendly approach will make an equivalent that will last through a wedding.

Sharysa
January 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Yep, pins and hairspray galore for this level of definition and hair-pretty.

I'm also willing to bet that those are fake flowers, because 1) they're all the exact same perfectly-opened blooms, and 2) real flowers will start browning or at least losing some petals after an hour or two, especially under the lights of a photoshoot or in the heat of a church.

I'd say if you want hair-friendly flowers and prettiness, a wreath/circlet would be much more likely to last the full ceremony and dancing. Flowers pinned/woven into a braid or a half-up would also be lovely.

Edit: Found some examples!

http://www.pinkous.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/milkmaid-braid-flower-crown-coachella-hair-inspiration.jpg

http://s5.favim.com/orig/54/braid-flowers-hair-separate-with-comma-Favim.com-526175.jpg

winship2
January 4th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Sooooo... You might want to also keep in mind-- you're going to need hair that can last through the ceremony and party, and will also handle, ahem, the afterparty. A style that will be difficult to take down-- won't need a stylist just for that and then a wash for all the hairspray-- might be better :) Oh, and congratulations!

Chiaroscuro
January 4th, 2015, 11:04 PM
The curls might be sewn in place in addition to the pins and spray, etc. If you find some videos on youtube of equivalent styles, you might see some examples of hair sewing.

I say, "Go for it!!!" I can't see how one day of hair spray, pins, and fake flowers will do any damage if you are careful at the comb out. A wedding is usually a once-in-a-lifetime event. I say, don't wear a dress you can wear to any ole dance/cocktail party--wear a once-in-a-lifetime dress. Same for hair---you will probably have ONE TIME IN YOUR LIFE to wear a style like that---if you have the hair to pull it off---especially if you have the hair to pull it off---GO FOR IT!

Congratulations and Happiness Always!!

Stormynights
January 5th, 2015, 01:46 AM
Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine hair spray is amazing. It is water soluble and can be brushed out. It will stand up to anything. I bought it by the gallons when I was working. It was the only hairspray I used.

FireFromWithin
January 5th, 2015, 02:04 AM
If you stared with a braid, a mermaid braid or basket weave, leaving out some hair and/or removing hair from it as you go you could pin the curls onto the braid and it would be a lot more secure. You would need curls, non-heat ones actually stay in my hair better, they are just less predictable but that's less of an issue if you are wearing it down. I agree that fake flowers is the way to go. I'm going to have to do this style though because it's so pretty and you've got me thinking about it! Will post updates on of my ideas work tomorrow when I have some flowers.

edit
looking at it again I tink the braid may be a very puffed out reverse fishtail. Or something similar, with a couple of bits taken out and pinned.

Fairina
January 5th, 2015, 02:06 AM
that is so absolutely beautiful I'm sure if it starts to come out it'd still look beautiful if you tied it halfway up with a ribbon or something. Go for it!

shinyspoon3
January 5th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Thank you all so much for your input!

Sharysa: I love your suggestions! I have been thinking about a floral circlet. So pretty!

Chiaroscuro: Thank you for your kind words! I have never heard of hair sewing. I'm going to google it for examples after I'm done here.

Stormynights: I am totally going to go check out that hairspray.

Firefromwithin: I think you've got the right idea. I did more research and found this very similar style with a how-to: http://www.fabartdiy.com/how-to-diy-gorgeous-loose-curly-bridal-hairstyle/ . It does use a braid at the center. In fact, the whole thing is a loose curly braid done in layers. I would never have figured that out without this picture. If you try it PLEASE post a picture! I would love to see it!

woodswanderer
January 5th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Just be sure to practice ahead of time. Then you will know if a style is practical.

AmandaPanda
January 5th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Definitely do a trial run! I ended up getting 2 trials (two different stylists), and can't recommend it enough!
That is a very pretty style!

Good luck with your wedding!

I got married recently so let me know if you need any advice. lol