PDA

View Full Version : Any Clip-On Bangs or Hairband bangs That You Would Recommend?

Komao
January 4th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I've been growing out my bangs. Now about chin level. Before this stage, I could still work with them and make them look decent but all of a sudden they are just at a very awkward stage.
I love bangs for updo's. I have something special coming up or I would probably try to keep living with it.
I don't want to cut bangs cause that will defeat the progress I have made.

Just saw a video that lapushka posted link in a thread she created. It was how to make bangs using your own hair. Very interesting in concept but difficult for me to do with hair a little longer than hip length.
Tried many different videos and just can't seem to do it with my hair.

I have never used extensions. Are the clip on bangs uncomfortable? Are they bad for hair if using occasionally? Do you have a favorite brand? Do you like the blunt bangs or the side swept bang?

I saw some that were natural hair but only came in black but it said you could dye it. I don't know how successful that would be going to a lighter shade?

I don't want to spend a lot but I don't want real fake looking bangs, either. So willing to spend a moderate amount for decent bangs.

I do love the way bangs can give you an entirely different look but don't want the commitment right now.

Any help is appreciated. :o

Komao
January 7th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Anybody out there have experience with clip-on-bangs? Need feedback. :o

Savvyhorsez
January 7th, 2015, 07:18 AM
I have clip in colored extensions just for the fun of having color without dye, for me, after a while my head starts to hurt from the pull of the clips, but I've never tried bangs, that sounds like fun to try.

Komao
January 7th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Savvyhorsez, Thanks. I think I'll give bangs a try. Perhaps they won't pull as much but really want them for fun as they give me a whole new look. :)

Savvyhorsez
January 7th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I can't wait to hear your review and/or see before and after photos?! :D

CremeTron
January 7th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I used to glue (yikes) or clip in bangs. I usually made my own as then they can be tweaked easily enough.

They are quick to make but you can end up with sore spots as they are clipped on to sensitive parts of the head. Don't know where you live but if you have a major city near you, there is probably what I call a black hair shop. It is like Sally's but with more hair and products for people with the African hair types. You can buy hair from there and a packet of hair clips, needle and thread which come in the same packet. Just hold to hair up to your self in the mirror and cut it how wide you want it and then sew a clip at each end.

Then what I used to do, being very careful is cut it approximately the the length I wanted by measuring and clipping it onto a friend ( I am a professionally trained barber so be very careful) and doing the rough cut. Then I would put it on myself and very carefully trim it to blend with my own hair. Best to pin it in and then mark it with chalk, then take it off and cut. Use a scissoring, downward motion for the initial cut and then use an upward position to blend using only the top 1 cm of the scissors- for example if it is attached to your head then scissors point up to your forehead and you cut into the hairs vertically.

Hope this helped.

meteor
January 7th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I used to glue (yikes) or clip in bangs. I usually made my own as then they can be tweaked easily enough.

They are quick to make but you can end up with sore spots as they are clipped on to sensitive parts of the head. Don't know where you live but if you have a major city near you, there is probably what I call a black hair shop. It is like Sally's but with more hair and products for people with the African hair types. You can buy hair from there and a packet of hair clips, needle and thread which come in the same packet. Just hold to hair up to your self in the mirror and cut it how wide you want it and then sew a clip at each end.

Then what I used to do, being very careful is cut it approximately the the length I wanted by measuring and clipping it onto a friend ( I am a professionally trained barber so be very careful) and doing the rough cut. Then I would put it on myself and very carefully trim it to blend with my own hair. Best to pin it in and then mark it with chalk, then take it off and cut. Use a scissoring, downward motion for the initial cut and then use an upward position to blend using only the top 1 cm of the scissors- for example if it is attached to your head then scissors point up to your forehead and you cut into the hairs vertically.

Hope this helped.

^ That's excellent! :D And I was going to suggest the same.
Here is a video on how to create your own extensions from hair you can buy at Sally's or some barber's shop, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RObM3WEGp2g
More instructions here: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Clip-In-Hair-Extensions/
Then just cut them any way you want for your bangs. :)

Komao
January 8th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Thanks CremeTron & meteor, I did watch some YouTube videos on this. It does sound like the best way to go. I did order a cheap pair of clip on bangs. I have a feeling not to get to excited as I don't have a good feeling about them. Probably going to be uncomfortable and not very good quality.
I did check out Sally's but as you said CremeTron, they were quite limited, at least the day I went in what they had. Thanks for your instructions and now meteor, I'm off to look at the links you provided. :o

Thanks for cutting tips, CremeTron, I have a feeling I wouldn't have thought to use chalk and then take off and cut. I can see where this would be a much better way to go about it. ;)

CremeTron
January 8th, 2015, 02:46 PM
^ That's excellent! :D And I was going to suggest the same.
Here is a video on how to create your own extensions from hair you can buy at Sally's or some barber's shop, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RObM3WEGp2g
More instructions here: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Clip-In-Hair-Extensions/
Then just cut them any way you want for your bangs. :)

haha thanks!

CremeTron
January 8th, 2015, 02:48 PM
You are welcome Komao!

Savvyhorsez
January 10th, 2015, 07:11 PM
So I had to try it! I ended up making my own and I found out with my thin hair, I can't hide the ends, however, when put around a bun, it makes nice fringe. But now I'm stuck with miles of hair that I have no clue what to do with it. The place where I got the hair/clips from had nothing in a smaller pack, so I ended up using maybe 10 inches out of at least two of my arm spans. :/

Komao
January 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM
So I had to try it! I ended up making my own and I found out with my thin hair, I can't hide the ends, however, when put around a bun, it makes nice fringe. But now I'm stuck with miles of hair that I have no clue what to do with it. The place where I got the hair/clips from had nothing in a smaller pack, so I ended up using maybe 10 inches out of at least two of my arm spans. :/

Oh no, I'm not good at helping you out as I've never tried extensions. Hopefully someone with experience can help. CremeTron if still looking at this thread might have good suggestions. YouTube would have lots of videos and perhaps that could help.
I'm glad I'm just sticking to bangs, lol. ;)

StellaKatherine
January 11th, 2015, 07:46 AM
How about making braids out of the extra hair ? 1 could be used as a band near the face or around the bun. I really need to buy some hair for making those, but I have such a weird hair color that I can't simply decide which color I need :D

Savvyhorsez
January 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Thank you both for your suggestions, but the hair is maybe 8 inches long, so braids are pretty much out of the question. Onto google search I go! ;)