PDA

View Full Version : Winter weather, fine hair and dry ends

cdonald2
January 3rd, 2015, 09:58 PM
Hi all! I have a quick question!
i have very fine silky hair, I am finally at the point where I can let it go with no trims for a while. I know how bad the winter weather is on ends. Any tips on keeping them well moisturized so I can avoid splits or straw like ends? any suggestions welcome :)

ps, I am shoulder length with chin length at my temples, so braids are a no go right now.

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 10:11 PM
Use a little bit of oil as a leave in after washing. Keeps my hair happy till next wash. Keeping it tucked away helps.

RapunzelKat
January 3rd, 2015, 10:46 PM
I'd suggest an SMT, with some coconut oil added and applied over damp hair. Got that in my hair right now actually, it's a great way to combat winter dryness. :) We've been having unusually cold windy weather here, and my hair has not been happy. :p

amanda_the_tall
January 3rd, 2015, 10:47 PM
I'm shoulder length in the back and collarbone in the front. I'm using cones fairly often (pretty much every other wash or every two) and doing either a twist with a clip or a ponytail with the non-metal elastic. I feel the twist protects it more.

Verdandi
January 4th, 2015, 03:49 AM
I keep my ends tucked away (easier for me with hip length hair, but I've been there too) and practice the LOC method, especially in winter. I use a spray on conditioner /detangler, some panacea and then seal it all with a coney serum. The cones on the ends are a great end-saver since I live in the yucky cold Scandinavia and humectants just dries it out in winter.

Nique1202
January 4th, 2015, 06:06 AM
You should be able to do dutch/french braids at shoulder length, either as twin/milkmaid braids or as crown braid. It takes some practice (I couldn't do twin dutch braids reliably until I'd tried every day for about three weeks with a youtube video right in front of me) but it'll be worth it in the end.

Madora
January 4th, 2015, 08:45 AM
"How to Avoid the Winter Hair Blues" article by former LHC member KTANI: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-to-avoid-winter-hair-blues.html

Johannah
January 4th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I like to put oil in my hair and leave it overnight and putting it up in a bun works wonders.

lapushka
January 4th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Yes, a few drops of oil, maybe for your length even one drop is enough, spread it through your palms and coat your ends with what's on your hands. That should do it.

Kendrix
January 4th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Oh my. I actually have very fine hair that is dry and frizzy at the ends too! How much oil is good for bcl hair? I never know and when I do it, I think I use too much because it gets limp and clings together like it's wet!

Madora
January 4th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Oh my. I actually have very fine hair that is dry and frizzy at the ends too! How much oil is good for bcl hair? I never know and when I do it, I think I use too much because it gets limp and clings together like it's wet!

If you are using mineral oil, then only two drops at most. Apply the drops to the palms of your hands, then run your hands through your hair several times until the oil sheen has nearly vanished from your palms.

lapushka
January 4th, 2015, 05:13 PM

I either use a serum (pump until you get a 2 eurocoin's worth) or mineral oil (just 2/3 drops is enough for TBL+ hair).

cdonald2
January 4th, 2015, 10:09 PM
I have olive oil, I was told that olive oil does not absorb into the hair but rather coats it. Does my hair have to be wet before putting the oil on it?

hanne jensen
January 5th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Don't use olive oil on fine hair. You will regret it. Olive oil is just too heavy for us finies. Just 2 or 3 drops of baby oil is enough. Coconut oil or shea butter in small amounts is good too.

Your hair is long enough to do a fingerloop. Gather your hair in a low pony with one hand, wrap your hair around 1 finger and secure with a beak clip. As youn hair gets longer, use more fingers. This is what saved my hair when I was your length.

RachelRose
January 8th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I use 6 drops of baby oil :/ top much ? I don't think it looks or feels oily just soft and moisturized

Wildcat Diva
January 8th, 2015, 09:00 PM
You absolutely must try for your ends the shea butter based Nightblooming's Panacea product. There is a thread about it on here. She has a shop on ETSY. There is a sampler pack of three different variations. You only need a small little smear.

Pseudoavatar
January 12th, 2015, 05:16 AM
I have managed to avoid dry hair this winter by rubbing a little aloe vera gel mixed with a little glycerin to my hair, and then putting a bit of coconut oil on top. If it's minus degrees outside, I usually braid my hair and tuck it inside my collar or under the scarf so that it's not in contact with outside weather, and always wear a hat when I go outside. I also stay away from clothing materials that cause static electricity.
I find that the dry room air and static inducing clothes are the worst culprits when it comes to dry hair, and adding moisture and sealing it in with oil is the best way to fight that. Haven't even had static hair all winter so far!:joy:

Wildcat Diva
January 12th, 2015, 06:50 AM
I often put my silk sleep bonnet on early when I am in the house for the night. That way, my ends are protected from the dry heated air, and the air inside the cap is warm and moist (especially if I mist my hair/ scalp with a spritz or two of rose water first (not a lot).

Gertrude
January 12th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I would also avoid olive oil as well. My fine hair can't cope with it, much too heavy. I use a leave in after washing, but will also put a little when needed on the ends on non -wash days. Like Hanne Jensen said a beak clip should keep your hair up, experiment with that. With my fine hair I cannot avoid trims in winter if I don't wear it up. And that's in not really cold and really moist England.

Olympias7
January 12th, 2015, 05:02 PM
I have the same problem - fine hair, dry ends, especially in winter. I have been using coconut oil and jojoba oil on the ends. I am not sure which is the best as of yet.