PDA

View Full Version : SO... I'm back

horseprincess
January 3rd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Not that I ever really "left". I've just been out of the "hair" swing of things since life got busy. I've still kept my hair long, and I'm still trying to grow it out. But my fine hair keeps splitting! So I've been cutting like 2 inches every 7/9 months or so. I also lost some thickness while in the military, I think due to stress (although I did wear my hair in a bun all day). I had also been using extra virgin coconut oil on my length, but somehow it wasn't really doing TOO much. Still splitting and breaking. I use no heat at all, with the exception of letting a hair dresser blow dry my hair once. For washing, had been stretching them to about twice a week (using conventional shampoos/condish). I still felt as though the conditioners I'd use didn't help much. But every time I complained about my tangly, splitted ends or breakage people would tell me my hair looked perfectly healthy, even hair dressers would tell me my hair seemed healthy and seem amazed that I have virgin hair...

So now I've decided that this year I'll quit conventional shampoo, and I would like to go water only down the road. I honestly feel that sulfates and all the silcones built up on my hair and caused it to break. I clarified my hair last night, and did a ACV rinse. So hopefully here's to better, longer hair in a few months!

Questions.... Does anyone have and good alternatives to using baking soda as a cleanser? I've looked at a few recipes, I'm just not sure yet. Also any no poo/water only advice/input would be great!

I also had a weird question because I used to have a tad darker hair when I was a little younger, before I had so much chemical buildup on my head. Can the lack of sebum, or excessive chemicals cause lackluster natural color?

Thanks!

horseprincess
January 4th, 2015, 10:42 AM
anyone?

I also want to add that my hair seems straighter after clarifying and skipping the cone loaded conditioner. I used suave daily clarifying...

embee
January 4th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I cannot deal with baking soda - it left my hair like straw and it took a long time and much conditioner to feel better to the touch. I could not comb my hair, there was *no* slip whatsoever.

horseprincess
January 4th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Yeah I have yet to try it, I'm honestly scared to though. I have read a couple articles stating that it is actually BAD for your hair with long term use. I've looked at other no poo alternative recipes a few that involve aloe, coconut milk, or raw honey. I'm just not sure what to use... :confused:

Wavelength
January 4th, 2015, 11:25 AM
If your hair is already splitting then baking soda is a bad idea -- it can make your hair very brittle. If your hair was previously damaged (i.e. from blowdrying or buildup) then it will take awhile for the damage to grow out. Have you tried conditioner-only washing, called CO? There's another treatment called SMT which is basically a homemade silicone free deep-conditioning treatment. You should be able to find plenty of information on both here on the forums.

Madora
January 4th, 2015, 11:26 AM
before I had so much chemical buildup on my head. Can the lack of sebum, or excessive chemicals cause lackluster natural color?

Thanks!

Yes, excessive use of chemicals can do a number on your hair. In his book, George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair (1981, Doubleday) Dr. Michael explains.."The sheen of the hair results from the transparency of the cuticle. If this cuticle is soiled, damaged by overbleaching, overpermanenting, and so on, it isn't transparent, so, of course, it won't shine".

I would also suggest that you try limiting what you put on your hair (less is more!). Try diluting your shampoo and diluting your conditioner. I don't recommend no poo/no water because it is important that your scalp be kept clean.

Splitting/breaking can be a sign of either mechanical damage or lack of moisture. You might want to try 2 or 3 drops of Mineral Oil (aka baby oil) to help keep your hair moisturized. (Apply the MO to your palms, then run your palms through your hair several times). MO works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can also use it on damp hair, or dry hair. Use it sparingly! It is very lightweight and washes out easily in your next shampoo. Also helps tame frizzies and is a great detangler. The most effective MO is one that contains only MO and a fragrance, nothing else (additives make MO less effective).

For help with splits: Catnip rinses for splits by former LHC member KTANI: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

CousinItt
January 4th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Baking soda is terrible. It ruined my hair. I'm water only now, but not in the strictest sense. I sometimes use herbal rinses, which are really effective at keeping the greasies at bay. Use astringent herbs for greasy hair. Meadowsweet really cleaned my hair, but I tend toward dry scalp, so it was too much for me. Green tea was much gentler. Jasmine green tea has the benefit of jasmines anti-fungal properties I'd you are prone to dandruff. Smells good too.

Washing with clay can also help keep hair grease free and shiny. If you look up clay for hair on Google, you can find all kinds of recipes. Clay mixed with aloe Vera juice seems effective for many people. I use clay washes rarely, but always have good results.

Vinegar or citric acid rinses are a must for hard water. Not as necessary if your water is medium or soft. Still does wonders for curl and detangling.

Sebum definitely adds luster to hair and deepens the color. I also oil the ends of my hair with vegetable oils which adds luster as well, and i haven't had issues with build up.

Edit: catnip rinses are very good for splits and to strengthen hair. I still do them from time to time. It also cleans the hair, so that's a two-in-one.

Wavelength
January 4th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Seconding (thirding?) the catnip rinses. I forgot to mention them but they really do help.

catasa
January 4th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I would also suggest that you try limiting what you put on your hair (less is more!). Try diluting your shampoo and diluting your conditioner. I don't recommend no poo/no water because it is important that your scalp be kept clean.

Splitting/breaking can be a sign of either mechanical damage or lack of moisture. You might want to try 2 or 3 drops of Mineral Oil (aka baby oil) to help keep your hair moisturized. (Apply the MO to your palms, then run your palms through your hair several times). MO works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can also use it on damp hair, or dry hair. Use it sparingly! It is very lightweight and washes out easily in your next shampoo. Also helps tame frizzies and is a great detangler. The most effective MO is one that contains only MO and a fragrance, nothing else (additives make MO less effective).

This! My current recipe for good hair most days is to use diluted shampoo, preferably some mild, SLS-free variant. I use from maybe half a teaspoon to one and a half depending on how dirty my har is and what kind of shampoo it is, and dilute with maybe one and a half to two deciliters of plain shower water (I do the mix in the shower right before usage). I usually add a dash of apple cider vinegar as well since I found that something acidic makes the dilution work better (I donīt know if the water destroys the shampoo PH level maybe). The hair gets as clean as with none-diluted shampoo, and it is much easier to distribute the shampoo over the scalp.

Also seconding the mineral oil. Most people seem to use it on damp hair but I get the best results with using it on streaming/dripping wet hair, straight from the shower after a last dunking. I also use about six drops (concentrated mostly on the ends) which is more than the average user it seems, but I guess that since I use it on wet hair instead of damp, and fold the hair up in an old t-shirt for some ten minutes afterwards, this would remove some of the oil.

ETA: I sometimes use conefree confitioner in between shampooing and mineral oiling, sometimes not. My hair benefits more from conditioner nowadays than it did before, but it still gets angry/poofy/build-up-y if I use it every wash.

I hope you find something that works! :flower:

horseprincess
January 28th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get back here...

Since my last post I've only washed my hair with water (hot) once and rinsed with ACV. It seemed to help spread the oils as I was washing it, and after the ACV rinse too. My hair doesn't look TOO bad... not even THAT greasy. But more of a waxiness and dandruffy build up on the roots. I've been a sorta massage with my head upside down to get ride of the dandruff ish problems. I've mostly been wearing it in a french braid. But I'm getting so tired of this. I almost want to wash it, but I only have sulfate, cone loaded shampoo, and while my hair would look/feel better I would be stripping and then adding to the damage with getting a cone build up. AGhh. What to do?

Also where do you all get your catnip? I would like to try it.

divinedobbie
January 28th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to get back here...

Since my last post I've only washed my hair with water (hot) once and rinsed with ACV. It seemed to help spread the oils as I was washing it, and after the ACV rinse too. My hair doesn't look TOO bad... not even THAT greasy. But more of a waxiness and dandruffy build up on the roots. I've been a sorta massage with my head upside down to get ride of the dandruff ish problems. I've mostly been wearing it in a french braid. But I'm getting so tired of this. I almost want to wash it, but I only have sulfate, cone loaded shampoo, and while my hair would look/feel better I would be stripping and then adding to the damage with getting a cone build up. AGhh. What to do?

Also where do you all get your catnip? I would like to try it.

Is it possible for you to get sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner? They're fairly readily available at regular stores and grocers, and I swear that's what saved my hair. Not so much the cone free part, but more of going sulfate free and only clarifying (which only requires a diluted sulfate shampoo) every once in a while when you notice build up. It shouldn't harm your hair if you only clarify every few weeks or months.

horseprincess
January 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
Is it possible for you to get sulfate free shampoo and cone free conditioner? They're fairly readily available at regular stores and grocers, and I swear that's what saved my hair. Not so much the cone free part, but more of going sulfate free and only clarifying (which only requires a diluted sulfate shampoo) every once in a while when you notice build up. It shouldn't harm your hair if you only clarify every few weeks or months.

Yeah this is seriously what I've been contemplating. My hair feels so gross!! I'm sure its in better shape already since I haven't washed it with sulfate/coney products in almost a month. I was thinking of maybe trying a burts bees shampoo, and just do a ACV rinse after. I also was thinking of making my own shampoo. I've seen recipes on pinterest that have a small amount of castille soap paired with other ingredients. I just don't want to go on a mad hunt for them!

divinedobbie
January 28th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Yeah this is seriously what I've been contemplating. My hair feels so gross!! I'm sure its in better shape already since I haven't washed it with sulfate/coney products in almost a month. I was thinking of maybe trying a burts bees shampoo, and just do a ACV rinse after. I also was thinking of making my own shampoo. I've seen recipes on pinterest that have a small amount of castille soap paired with other ingredients. I just don't want to go on a mad hunt for them!

I've used Burt's bees with success in the past :) I'm not sure about their new formulas but I'm sure it's just as great. There's also homemade shampoos on etsy and soap bars already pre made if you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own. It could be fun though!

sjlaurence
February 4th, 2015, 01:58 AM
... or raw honey. I'm just not sure what to use... :confused:
If you are still looking for a natural homemade shampoo here is an easy honey one that worked okay on my hair: http://empoweredsustenance.com/diy-honey-shampoo/
I went "no poo" for a bit and found that no matter what I did my hair never looked shiny and I disliked it's new, waxy texture. I now use Nature's Gate which is sulphate free, vegan, and is not tested on animals :)