PDA

View Full Version : Hair has become very oily...help?

sarahbeth16
January 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
Hi! I'm new here. I've had a very annoying problem with my hair for the past two months or so. Suddenly, almost overnight (around late October/early November), my hair got incredibly greasy. As in, if I wash it in the morning, the roots look greasy by evening. Before this happened, I could go two days without washing my hair, no problem. Now I absolutely have to wash it every day or it looks terrible. The greasiness is especially obvious when I brush my hair. The hair at the roots just...separates, and brushing makes it look even oilier. This is only observable from my roots to the top of my ears. The rest of my hair (it's between BSL and WL right now) looks fine.

My hair used to be bleach blonde, but I dyed it to a dark brown after I saw the damage the bleach was doing to my hair. With the dark brown, I only have to color it every 2 1/2 months. It's also made my hair noticeable shinier and softer. My mother tells me that my hair is doing this weird oily thing because of the dark color (???), and that I need to dye it lighter. But I think she's just saying that because she doesn't like it so dark.:rolleyes:

I currently do the typical "lather, rinse, condition" routine in the shower, but I'm thinking of switching to CWC, alternating with WO.

Any advice?

mcdonaldv89
January 3rd, 2015, 06:55 PM
Dry shampoo is always an option if its bothering you badly.

sarahbeth16
January 3rd, 2015, 06:58 PM
Dry shampoo doesn't work on my hair. Every brand I've tried has left the roots looking ashy and hasn't done anything to get rid of the oil.

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 07:00 PM
Can I ask how old you are? You sound young to me, I would say it's hormones.

sarahbeth16
January 3rd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Can I ask how old you are? You sound young to me, I would say it's hormones.

Seventeen. I'm thinking hormones, too, and I'm planning on going to my GP to get a blood test done to make sure everything's ok.

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
Seventeen. I'm thinking hormones, too, and I'm planning on going to my GP to get a blood test done to make sure everything's ok.

Definitely hormones then! I remember when I was 17 I could wash my hair and go to school and have to use dry shampoo halfway through the day. By the time school was over it looked like someone maked bacon on the head. Don't be afraid to wash daily if you need to, just condition your ends well and you'll be okay.

prettyinpink
January 3rd, 2015, 07:08 PM
Try cutting out shampoo and just co washing. It will take a while for your scalp to adjust, but it will be worth it. My scalp use to be so horribly greasy until I started only co washing and now I pretty much just water wash, and I never have an oil problem unless I start using shampoo (ironically) but thats good your going to get your blood tested, just to make sure there isnt a more serious problem! Good luck! :p

sarahbeth16
January 3rd, 2015, 07:10 PM
Definitely hormones then! I remember when I was 17 I could wash my hair and go to school and have to use dry shampoo halfway through the day. By the time school was over it looked like someone maked bacon on the head. Don't be afraid to wash daily if you need to, just condition your ends well and you'll be okay.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this haha! Can you tell me what you did to manage it? When do you think it should subside?

sarahbeth16
January 3rd, 2015, 07:15 PM
Try cutting out shampoo and just co washing. It will take a while for your scalp to adjust, but it will be worth it. My scalp use to be so horribly greasy until I started only co washing and now I pretty much just water wash, and I never have an oil problem unless I start using shampoo (ironically) but thats good your going to get your blood tested, just to make sure there isnt a more serious problem! Good luck! :p

Thanks for the advice! For CO, do I apply conditioner all over (including scalp) or just from the ears down?

CurlyGrace
January 3rd, 2015, 07:16 PM
Try using a nice clarifying shampoo and conditioning or applying oil to your ends only when you feel that it's necessary. HTH :)

P.S. I've heard that shikakai powder works wonders for oily scalps; it's very clarifying and deeply cleansing. If it's some sort of serious condition with your scalp, like it's flaky or something, then maybe trying some neem oil too.

prettyinpink
January 3rd, 2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the advice! For CO, do I apply conditioner all over (including scalp) or just from the ears down?

You can just eyeball a few tablespoons full and scrub your scalp with it the same way you would with shampoo. It works surprizingly well! (:

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 07:40 PM
It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who's experienced this haha! Can you tell me what you did to manage it? When do you think it should subside?

I just washed my hair daily, and kept a little bottle of dry shampoo in my locker. If it was really bad I would pull my hair into a pony tail. Now that I know better it would probably be a bun, but my hair never suffered from daily washing when I was a teen. I'm not sure when my greasies settle down because I kept daily washing and didn't pay attention to my hair until I was 20 lol

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Woopies, double posted

mariechin1234
January 3rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
You can use dry shampoo for your hair. It is best suited for oily scalp. Hope this helps.