PDA

View Full Version : Whole 30 and hair growth

loki51
January 3rd, 2015, 07:07 AM
I am starting a new diet that is supposed to reduce inflammation by eliminating added artificial ingredients. It is a 30 day detox and there is lots of info online about it. I will be tracking growth over the 30 days and update. I thought about tracking because I had been taking vitamins for growth and the vitamins have additives that could cause inflammation. I will post a measurement later today when I find the tape.

ravenheather
January 3rd, 2015, 08:44 AM
Watching...

hanne jensen
January 3rd, 2015, 11:47 AM
Waiting and bookmarking this thread. If it works, I will try.

Knifegill
January 3rd, 2015, 12:31 PM
You have to maintain proper caloric intake. That's the biggest mistake people make when changing their eating. If you suddenly cut calories, your body WILL respond in bad ways!

I love whole 30, it's awesome, I've done it twice. But calculate your food and make sure you are eating enough. Have 4. Macros are not as important as micronutrients and caloric sufficiency.

For micronutrients, have the bone broth, the seaweed and greens in normal amounts, they are already nutrient dense.

For calories, it varies by person. If you have a steak for dinner, don't have a 3 ounce nugget, have more like 10 ounces. Having an avocado that day?

If you are like me, you will probably eschew variety in favor of a few affordable/nutrient replete staples. That means you'll have to get used to eating more of each item in place of the usual variety of foods you had before.

BUT if you like variety and can afford it, then definitely make it a point to have many items at each meal. For the sake of your hair, eat enough.

Ever notice that, I mean with plenty of exceptions, if you walk around a store hair-browsing, the heavier people often have shinier, healthier manes than the super-thin people? Don't get me wrong, plenty of thin people have have AMAZING hair. But in the general population, those who are getting less food overall are also getting fewer vitamins along with the stress of under-eating, and you can see it in their hair. Please don't misunderstand, there are plenty of folks who have found the balance and maintain healthy or even thin weight while taking in all the nutrition they need. But I'm saying don't set yourself up for the malnourished look. Eat big!

Meat and eggs and veggies and fruits are a given. I highly recommend oysters and organ meats also, for price but also for the fact that they are superior sources of B12 and other easy-to-digest nutrients that plants just can't provide in good amount.

For the record, I'm doing almost whole 30 this month, but I'm including white potatoes and a few other items that would be considered no-no, like larabars.