PDA

View Full Version : Part of my Hair is Dry!

Number 3
January 3rd, 2015, 01:31 AM
About a 1-2 inch diameter circle in my head where hair grows, it starts 3 inches from the hairline from my forehead.

That part of my hair is dry from root to ends, I tried SMT but nothing changed, the rest of my head is somewhat normal. I don't have oily hair though.

My routine is shampoo bar and ACV rinse (1-2 cap fulls to a tall glass of water)
Henna 1 a month
Senna 1-2 a month
oil my hair 1-2 times a week

I used a clarifying shampoo about a month ago

lapushka
January 3rd, 2015, 04:18 AM
Maybe you're overdoing it on the henna/cassia, that's one thing once every two weeks. If your scalp is already dry, this *could* be drying. Maybe try some deep-deep moisture treatments. Such as pre-oiling, then a deep conditioner after washing.

Number 3
January 4th, 2015, 01:37 AM
Maybe you're overdoing it on the henna/cassia, that's one thing once every two weeks. If your scalp is already dry, this *could* be drying. Maybe try some deep-deep moisture treatments. Such as pre-oiling, then a deep conditioner after washing.

My last henna/cassia treatment was about 3 weeks ago.

But what gets me is that all my hair is well moisturized except that part, even most of the splits ends are there, like 90%.

Is oil considered a moisture treatment?

lapushka
January 4th, 2015, 07:21 AM

I think so, if you use it pre-wash.

Johannah
January 4th, 2015, 09:04 AM
My last henna/cassia treatment was about 3 weeks ago.

But what gets me is that all my hair is well moisturized except that part, even most of the splits ends are there, like 90%.

There are oils which penetrate (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.be/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html)the hair, and there are oils who seal the hair. Using penetrating oils (especially as a pre-poo) can be considered as a moisturizing treatment as far as I know, but sealing oils can't. You can use sealing oils (and off course penetrating oils as well) as a leave-in because they lock the moisture in (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/02/part-2-necessity-of-oils.html).

Number 3
January 6th, 2015, 12:32 AM
I did a coconut oil treatment over night.

Still that part is extremely dry and brittle and full of split ends. It's weird! just like when some people have white hair in a specific spot in their head.

The feeling of that hair is nothing like the rest of my hair.

I've chopped all the heat damaged hair, all the hair I have has never been near any heat tools.

I think I'll mix aloe vera juice with raw honey and let it overnight and see what happens.

morrigan*
January 6th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Oil is never considered moisturising, except if you dampen your hair and use it as sealant.

Number 3
January 11th, 2015, 04:33 AM
An update:

The other day I was out ACV, so I just used the shampoo bar. And the dry feeling is not noticeable! Could it be ACV?!!!!
I only use for detangling in the shower, use 1-2 cap fulls in a glass of water.

Wildcat Diva
January 11th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Oil is never considered moisturising, except if you dampen your hair and use it as sealant.

In response to this, I wanted to mention what I read on the DIY hair treatment thread:

According to the way dermatologists define "moisturizing", yes, oil is a moisturizer, since it provides both emollient and occlusive action.
A moisturizer has to fulfill one or more of these 3 functions:
- humectant (attracting and holding onto water),
- emollient (providing softness and lubrication), and
- occlusive (preventing water from evaporation).

But of course, oil is not end-all, be-all, and other ingredients are important.
I like to use honey (humectant) + oil (emollient, occlusive) + conditioner as my moisturizing pack, if my hair is extremely dry.

I'm learning more about how oils affect hair, that is a good thing for me.

morrigan*
January 28th, 2015, 05:56 AM
In response to this, I wanted to mention what I read on the DIY hair treatment thread:

I'm learning more about how oils affect hair, that is a good thing for me.

O thank you for that WD, i was thinking more in a sense of humectant as honey or aloe. I always look at oil as nourishing rather than moisturizing. Also best is to use combination of ingredients for deep treatment rather than just one.