PDA

View Full Version : How do you use your whipped Shea butter?

sabrinaclrke
January 2nd, 2015, 07:30 PM
I've gotten a lot of vague advice on how to use it, so I'm wondering how you guys use it. I whipped 100% Shea butter with a scoop of coconut oil and a dash of evoo.

I heard people use it as a leave in, conditioner, ect. I just want to learn more about how to use it. I was originally go to use it in my hair like I do with coconut oil after a wash, but I haven't heard of anyone using it like this.
Anway, any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys!

I forgot to add that I have fine/medium thick heavy hair that's about two to three steps to almost completely straight. ( sorry I've been here for two years and still don't know the hair typing system!)

Nadine <3
January 2nd, 2015, 07:50 PM
I use it on my skin, it's great in the winter! Best thing I've found for my dry skin. I tried it in my hair and it was just to heavy for my fine hair, regardless of how little I used. Every once in awhile when I'm putting it on my body, I'll run my hands through my hair afterwards to get whatever is left on my hands off, but that's about it.

pearlsandpinups
January 2nd, 2015, 07:54 PM
I use it as a deep treatment! :)

chen bao jun
January 2nd, 2015, 08:27 PM
Seal the ends with a dab after wash to hold the moisture in. It's actually a great skin cream too, especially in this cold dry weather.

sabrinaclrke
January 2nd, 2015, 08:45 PM
Seal the ends with a dab after wash to hold the moisture in. It's actually a great skin cream too, especially in this cold dry weather.

Thanks! I'll try it next time I wash. And I have a very dry face and am thinking of trying it, does it work well for faces ?

sabrinaclrke
January 2nd, 2015, 08:46 PM
I use it as a deep treatment! :)

I will try it :) do you mix it with a condish

ARG
January 2nd, 2015, 09:50 PM
A bit of a DT and leave-in after wash day. I follow Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream recipe (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586).

hennalonghair
January 2nd, 2015, 11:06 PM

I use it this way also mixed with coconut oil. I also use a bit here and there on just my ends plus I use it on my skin. I personally love this stuff.

CurlyCap
January 3rd, 2015, 12:19 AM
I mix my own butters at home. My current mix is ~40% shea, 40% cocoa.

The best use for me is to apply to wet hair in the shower. Adds lots of definition and softness, without the crunch or...flakiness?...of conditioner. It's just a lot of work and so I rarely do it.

Usually, I just melt butters by rubbing my hands together and oil my scalp, putting any remainder on my ends. With my hair, just about any product application is better the wetter my hair is.

TrapperCreekD
January 4th, 2015, 12:55 PM
It's amazing on skin! My hands took a beating in a recent cold snap and my shea/coconut/evoo mix turned my skin nearly silky smooth. A particularly rough spot on one of my knuckles was was gone in a few days; it's like it never even happened.

For my hair, I use it [Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586)] as part of the LOC method, sandwiched between my leave in condish and gel. It's also great on ends that need babying. This stuff is a HG for me!

MagicalCurls
January 4th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I melt it and add mustard oil to the mixture. After washing my hair and applying a leave in conditioner, I section my hair and apply it all over from my root to tips, paying special attention to the ends of my hair.
I have a separate Shea whip for my scalp that has peppermint essential oil in it. I usually go through my hair and use my finger to rub it into my scalp. Then I get a boar bristle brush and brush it all through.
Sometimes I do this when my hair is super dry, after listing it with water, put a plastic cap over my head before bedtime and I wake up with super soft hair :)

In the future, I might experiment with adding grape seed oil to the mixture in hopes to make it a tiny bit less greasy on my hair.
Shea butter is the best :)

meteor
January 4th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks! I'll try it next time I wash. And I have a very dry face and am thinking of trying it, does it work well for faces ?

Yes, I actually prefer it on skin, when it's dry.

On hair, I like to do a 50%/50% coconut oil + shea butter mix as a deep treatment or leave-in. But it builds up on me over time, so I need to be careful with amounts

Komao
January 4th, 2015, 03:15 PM

Ditto, & it makes my hair incredibly shiny but I only use a small amount on length of hair. Less is best at first and you can see how your hair likes it. :)