PDA

View Full Version : My friend has wonky but pretty hair.

Nadine <3
January 2nd, 2015, 12:23 AM
My best friend, who is sitting next to me, has the prettiest, but...strangest hair I have ever seen lol Here's a photo. She came over and I helped her do a protien treatment. This is her hair after it dried.

No flash. Weird color.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8611/16172093415_0faceae0bb.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qD5cWP)001 (https://flic.kr/p/qD5cWP) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

Flash
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7512/16172089535_7677bbf7e7.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qD5bMV)002 (https://flic.kr/p/qD5bMV) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

Her ends are bleached, but there really isn't to much of that left. She used to flat iron it, but she hasn't done it in awhile. She washed about every three days with shampoo, then she conditions the crap out of it. Coconut oil every so often. What could be causing her hair to be so curly on top and straight on bottom? She used to have hair that resembled a bush. People used to call her Hermione and Shirley Temple.

CurlyCap
January 2nd, 2015, 12:46 AM
Looks like heat damage.

Sometimes, if curlies flat iron their hair too much, it loses it's ability to curl back and becomes fragile.

I've seen people come back after a VERY long time of pampering their hair, but it's not the norm.

ETA: She will likely have to cut out the damage, either in a big chop or by maintaining. She could keep the length, but there will be a demarcation line. BUT, if she starts pampering and maintaining now...a lot changes in the course of a year.

chomsky
January 2nd, 2015, 02:15 AM
Seconding heat damage. And as CurlyCap said there's pretty much no way of reverting it. Your friend's hair is a lovely colour!

vega
January 2nd, 2015, 03:50 AM
Looks in bad shape poor thing Nadine you Defintely need to help a sister out there

yogagirl
January 2nd, 2015, 04:51 AM
Aw she will have gorgeous hair with a little TLC, even if the heat damage can't be reversed. Maybe start with regular SMTs if she is up for it? I love her curls and I'm sure they will be thud worthy when properly managed.

Night_Kitten
January 2nd, 2015, 05:02 AM
I too think it has to do with damage, probably the damage from the old bleach combined with the heat damage changed the hair structure...
Her hair color is lovely, and her hair looks shiny, even if not in the best shape it can be... The wave/curl pattern on the top part is really nice, and with some more TLC her hair can look great :)
Maybe braid-waves can help the bottom section look more like the top section and "blend in" better (if she doesn't mind braiding her hair for the night that is)?

Johannah
January 2nd, 2015, 08:40 AM
If you have some bad luck straightening your hair could be permanent. So another vote for heat damage.

MeAndTheMaz
January 2nd, 2015, 08:45 AM
Sorry, I don't have any useful advice, but why would she want to straighten those curls? Sheesh. :)

It's going to look awesome once you get her straightened out (so to speak), though.

prettyinpink
January 2nd, 2015, 09:42 AM
I think its cool looking. Tell her to try co washing, then when she gets out of the shower use about a tablespoon full of plain old conditioner as a leave in. It will help with the natural waves

spidermom
January 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM
I agree with most - heat and bleach damage have destroyed her curls. I'd advise deep conditioning, trimming, and wearing her hair up.

Upside Down
January 2nd, 2015, 10:08 AM
My hair was growing much less curly when I was on birth control pill.

Rowdy
January 2nd, 2015, 10:13 AM
My hair was growing much less curly when I was on birth control pill.

Same here!

CoveredByLove
January 2nd, 2015, 11:11 AM
This is EXACTLY what my hair looked like after I stopped abusing it with heat...bottom was straight, top was curly. It's a hard transition that takes a whole lot of patience. I would recommend stop heat all together. I literally piled all my heat tools together, grabbed the whole mass of wires and metal and chunked it in the garbage can outside never to be replaced! :cool: That was a long time ago now, and my hair keeps get better with time.

I recommend wearing braid waves in the process of growing it out! I chose not to do a "big chop", and just trimmed little by little over time. The braid waves helped give my hair a uniform look while it grew out.
Protein treatments do help, but not completely. Heat damage is permanent, I'm afraid.
She does have beautiful hair! Just give it lots of time and TLC. :)

lapushka
January 2nd, 2015, 11:13 AM
That looks like a 2b/2c hair texture trying to bust outta there. Heat damage. Unfortunately. Seconding that fact. Does she want wavy hair? Have you asked her? Because if so, she might need to start treating her hair differently.

Nadine <3
January 2nd, 2015, 11:29 AM
After talking with her, I think she's leaning towards chopping it to shoulder. She used to hate her curls, but now that they're gone she misses them. She does like braids and buns done on damp hair to make her hair look uniform, but she's tired of the damage and wants a change. That top bit is actually MUCH curlier than in looks in the picture. If you look at the under layers she has spirals.

As far as care goes, I had her try out CO washing and using a leave in to try and encourage curl and the top area got super curly, while the bottom just stayed the same and refused to do anything but look stringy. She didn't like CO because she could never get her hair clean, so now she CWC and is happy with that. I think once the damaged stuff is gone I'll teach her how to use the LOC method, and maybe convince her to get rid of her flat iron and brush. Maybe I'll get her a couple hair toys and slowly convert her...:eyebrows:

lapushka
January 2nd, 2015, 04:23 PM
Nadine you are simply wicked. Love it! ;)

CurlyCap
January 3rd, 2015, 02:33 AM
I'll play LHC Gamble and guess that she has 3b curls under all of that.

Her curly part at the top is the same as my hair looks if I use too light a product to set it.

XD

As I am biased towards the curlies, I'm interested to see what happens!

Johannah
January 3rd, 2015, 08:48 AM
After talking with her, I think she's leaning towards chopping it to shoulder. She used to hate her curls, but now that they're gone she misses them. She does like braids and buns done on damp hair to make her hair look uniform, but she's tired of the damage and wants a change. That top bit is actually MUCH curlier than in looks in the picture. If you look at the under layers she has spirals.

As far as care goes, I had her try out CO washing and using a leave in to try and encourage curl and the top area got super curly, while the bottom just stayed the same and refused to do anything but look stringy. She didn't like CO because she could never get her hair clean, so now she CWC and is happy with that. I think once the damaged stuff is gone I'll teach her how to use the LOC method, and maybe convince her to get rid of her flat iron and brush. Maybe I'll get her a couple hair toys and slowly convert her...:eyebrows:

:cheer: You can do it, make her one of us! :p

Caraid♫
January 3rd, 2015, 10:40 AM
I think the contrasting textures actually look really cool! But I can also imagine how amazing her hair would look if she grew out the hair that's been straightened often and has her natural texture the whole length- she has very beautiful hair!

JellyBene
January 3rd, 2015, 11:22 AM
I'm going to agree with the heat damage theory. Hair has hydrogen bonds that cause it to curl/wave, enought heat over a long period of time can break those hydrogen bonds causing it to fizzle out

Sharysa
January 3rd, 2015, 12:16 PM
Sorry, I don't have any useful advice, but why would she want to straighten those curls?

Because there's a huge straight-hair bias in most of the world right now. People think naturally wavy/curly hair is messy/unkempt or weird because they're only used to iron-produced curls, so the only thing people know to do is to straighten it so it looks presentable.

I straightened my hair through high school and about half of college for the same reason.

The Curly Girl/natural hair movement is very, very new.

TrapperCreekD
January 3rd, 2015, 12:24 PM

Great plan, Nadine! :thumbsup: I cannot wait to hear about her journey, it sounds like she's in awesome hands.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Yes, why not have her join here, if she's interested?

anitacs9101
January 3rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
My cousin had something similar. She straightened her hair to death every day. I was showing her how to wear her hair natural when I noticed the pieces in the front wouldn't curl for anything. Sure enough she admitted to straightening those pieces extra, just out of boredom. shudder:

wilderwein
January 3rd, 2015, 01:00 PM
I don't want to sound narcisstic, but I feel like I made a huge change at my highschool a couple of years ago, girls used to straighten their hair every single day, and I felt so bored with my natural straight hair, so I was making heatless braidwaves and wearing them super messy, with volume, the first year I was the only one doing that to my hair
then on daily basis I had girls coming asking me which hair crimper I used to make my hair like that, when I was telling them that it's just braid waves they start ALMOST all of them wearing their hair like that, then 2-3 years later they realised that it's pretty much similar to their natural hair texture so they stopped using straightners/ braid waves completely and just embrace their natural hair texture, so I am kinda proud of that change hahaha

I graduated last year, and when I recently went back to visit my school, the younger ones was all with straight fried hair =/

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 01:20 PM
Nadine you are simply wicked. Love it! ;)
Yes, yes I am haha

I'll play LHC Gamble and guess that she has 3b curls under all of that.

Her curly part at the top is the same as my hair looks if I use too light a product to set it.

XD

As I am biased towards the curlies, I'm interested to see what happens!

I'm very interested to see it in it's full glory to. I mean I've seen it natural before, but she's always brushed it to try and get it to behave soI've never seen in natural and properly cared for. I'm excited! :)

:cheer: You can do it, make her one of us! :p
Haha, one of us! One of us!

I think the contrasting textures actually look really cool! But I can also imagine how amazing her hair would look if she grew out the hair that's been straightened often and has her natural texture the whole length- she has very beautiful hair!
She does have amazing hair, I love that she's so willing to let me braid it, wash it...treat it with whatever, try out heatless curls. It's rather fun!

Because there's a huge straight-hair bias in most of the world right now. People think naturally wavy/curly hair is messy/unkempt or weird because they're only used to iron-produced curls, so the only thing people know to do is to straighten it so it looks presentable.

I straightened my hair through high school and about half of college for the same reason.

The Curly Girl/natural hair movement is very, very new.
That's pretty much why. When everyone else is straightening their hair you do what you have to to try and fit in. My hair was pretty straight growing up and even I somehow ended up straightening mine...

Great plan, Nadine! :thumbsup: I cannot wait to hear about her journey, it sounds like she's in awesome hands.
Thanks! I can't wait. She wants to get it healthy and then grow it to her butt with me. It's like all my dreams are coming true, she has seen the light lol

Yes, why not have her join here, if she's interested?
I've invited her, but she feels like A) it's a little weird, and B) going to college and working full time doesn't give her much free time. She would much rather I post, ask questions and then just tell her what to do to fix the problem, and I really don't mind haha

My cousin had something similar. She straightened her hair to death every day. I was showing her how to wear her hair natural when I noticed the pieces in the front wouldn't curl for anything. Sure enough she admitted to straightening those pieces extra, just out of boredom. shudder:
Eeek! Poor hair, I guess you never realize just how bad a flat iron it for your hair until you decide you want to wear your curls...and you can't. That would be horrifying.

I don't want to sound narcisstic, but I feel like I made a huge change at my highschool a couple of years ago, girls used to straighten their hair every single day, and I felt so bored with my natural straight hair, so I was making heatless braidwaves and wearing them super messy, with volume, the first year I was the only one doing that to my hair
then on daily basis I had girls coming asking me which hair crimper I used to make my hair like that, when I was telling them that it's just braid waves they start ALMOST all of them wearing their hair like that, then 2-3 years later they realised that it's pretty much similar to their natural hair texture so they stopped using straightners/ braid waves completely and just embrace their natural hair texture, so I am kinda proud of that change hahaha

I graduated last year, and when I recently went back to visit my school, the younger ones was all with straight fried hair =/

LOL, it's sad that the younger generation is flat ironing, but her, you left a legacy I'd say!

wilderwein
January 3rd, 2015, 01:26 PM
Nadine <3 Oh yeah, we should make more kids (LHC members), and spread them to schools, bars, streets to inform hair oblivious creatures!

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 01:33 PM
Nadine <3 Oh yeah, we should make more kids (LHC members), and spread them to schools, bars, streets to inform hair oblivious creatures!

Yees! I'm still working on my mom. It's going okay, I managed to give her a wide tooth comb without her getting suspicious... I ordered a new one when I didn't need one, then I said rather loudly with her on ear shot, "OH GEE NOW I HAVE AN EXTRA COMB WHATEVER SHALL I DO WITH IT" and then I was like..."mom, do you want this comb? It's very nice but I no longer need it" and she took it, only time will tell if she actually uses it. I have all my fingers crossed, the next step is sabotaging her brush so she has no other choice MWAHAHA

wilderwein
January 3rd, 2015, 01:41 PM
Yees! I'm still working on my mom. It's going okay, I managed to give her a wide tooth comb without her getting suspicious... I ordered a new one when I didn't need one, then I said rather loudly with her on ear shot, "OH GEE NOW I HAVE AN EXTRA COMB WHATEVER SHALL I DO WITH IT" and then I was like..."mom, do you want this comb? It's very nice but I no longer need it" and she took it, only time will tell if she actually uses it. I have all my fingers crossed, the next step is sabotaging her brush so she has no other choice MWAHAHA

Damn your are good with that!
Are you studing managment/salings or something like that? Couse if not then industry is losing a natural talent!!!!!

meteor
January 3rd, 2015, 02:06 PM
Beautiful hair!
You can clearly see a demarcation line where she stopped using heat. She's definitely naturally much curlier than those straight ends would suggest.
I'd recommend hydrolyzed proteins to bring back some structure / patch-repair temporarily, specifically on those ends: something like a strong gelatin treatment, or Aphogee 2 step or Joico-K Pack Reconstructor.
Also penetrating oils of course, and keeping those ends protected (updos, sleeping on silk, gentle handling...)
I'd also recommend experimenting with the Curly Girl method and using LOC on those ends. :)

lapushka
January 3rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
Beautiful hair!
You can clearly see a demarcation line where she stopped using heat. She's definitely naturally much curlier than those straight ends would suggest.
I'd recommend hydrolyzed proteins to bring back some structure / patch-repair temporarily, specifically on those ends: something like a strong gelatin treatment, or Aphogee 2 step or Joico-K Pack Reconstructor.
Also penetrating oils of course, and keeping those ends protected (updos, sleeping on silk, gentle handling...)
I'd also recommend experimenting with the Curly Girl method and using LOC on those ends. :)

Nadine knows what to do with gelatin! ;)

Yes, Curly Girl or have her go to the Tightlycurly site. It's curlier hair than hers, but it's the same technique for all curls (with a little tweaking here and there)!

Nadine <3
January 3rd, 2015, 03:24 PM
Beautiful hair!
The picture was taken after a gelatin treatment, I had her keep it on for 15 minutes. I used the blow dryer on warm to heat up her ends so they got it really good, then after that was rinsed I had her sit with an SMT on her head for a half hour. After that was rinsed she put it in a t shirt for 15 minutes, she blow dried her bangs (straight crossed bangs with curls is really funny unless heat styled lol) and I sealed everything with 3 drops of grapeseed oil. I don't know how I'd ever convince her that putting her hair up in an updo everyday is a good idea. She loves to wear it down, but I have an extra silk pillow case I can just give her lol

Nadine knows what to do with gelatin! ;)

Yes, Curly Girl or have her go to the Tightlycurly site. It's curlier hair than hers, but it's the same technique for all curls (with a little tweaking here and there)!

Yeah, I've been having a love affair with gelatin lol Good call I'll send her the link to those sites! Thanks!

Flowerness
January 3rd, 2015, 05:30 PM
I have to sheepishly comment that I, too am a member of the "hair wonkdom" club! My hair does this all the time- and not from damage. I used to blow dry my hair straight with a brush (flat irons didn't work on me for some reason) and doing this over time did make the hair less wavy, and more breakage. But, just as an alternative perspective, I had to add that my hair does this according to how I've washed it! I've gotten straight ends over waves, or ultimate-uber waves with 1c straight sides next to my face along with random straight pieces. It really DOES look wonky on me! I get it from my hair being weighed down too much- even with wavy hair, this happens to me easily. I make sure to try to clarify (a gentle clarifying shampoo, mixed with baking soda), followed by conditioner. The next wash, I make sure to use really gentle shampoo and cone-free (cones straighten my hair out) conditioner twice (encourages my waves), as long as it is a lighter (non-"moisturizing") formula. (I heart VO5 Vanilla Mint! It smells so good I could just stand there and sniff it!) This usually helps do it for me.

If all else fails, your friend has some awesome curls there! Has she tried a "curl enhancing gel" on the end? I used to use that, when I did curly girl. I hope this helps!

Good luck with your friend!

lapushka
January 3rd, 2015, 05:43 PM
I have to sheepishly comment that I, too am a member of the "hair wonkdom" club! My hair does this all the time- and not from damage. I used to blow dry my hair straight with a brush (flat irons didn't work on me for some reason) and doing this over time did make the hair less wavy, and more breakage. But, just as an alternative perspective, I had to add that my hair does this according to how I've washed it! I've gotten straight ends over waves, or ultimate-uber waves with 1c straight sides next to my face along with random straight pieces. It really DOES look wonky on me! I get it from my hair being weighed down too much- even with wavy hair, this happens to me easily. I make sure to try to clarify (a gentle clarifying shampoo, mixed with baking soda), followed by conditioner. The next wash, I make sure to use really gentle shampoo and cone-free (cones straighten my hair out) conditioner twice (encourages my waves), as long as it is a lighter (non-"moisturizing") formula. (I heart VO5 Vanilla Mint! It smells so good I could just stand there and sniff it!) This usually helps do it for me.

If all else fails, your friend has some awesome curls there! Has she tried a "curl enhancing gel" on the end? I used to use that, when I did curly girl. I hope this helps!

Good luck with your friend!

It takes years to get heat damage out. It's like you have to start over from a shaved head, so it can take some time still...

As far as the baking soda goes. I'd no longer use that as it is *very* alkaline and drying and not at all good for hair.

Nadine <3
January 6th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Well guys, today is the day! She's asked me to cut it off at her shoulders, so she's coming over in a little bit for the chop! Pictures will be up later today after the deed is done.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Oooh... waiting for photos! She is fortunate to have a friend like you Nadine who can help with hair advice and, it seems, haircuts too! Is she interested in joining the LHC?

Nadine <3
January 6th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Oooh... waiting for photos! She is fortunate to have a friend like you Nadine who can help with hair advice and, it seems, haircuts too! Is she interested in joining the LHC?

No haha, I've asked her before but she is going to college and working full time. She Doesn't have much time, so generally when she has a hair related issue she just asks me...and if I don't know I come here :) I've never really done a full hair cut, but I watched a few videos on youtube. I do my own trims all the time. I suspect it will be like that, just taking off more hair. We're going to do it slow. She's told me she's not even nervous haha

She'll be here after she picks up her little sister from school. I'm going to charge my camera!

hannabiss
January 6th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Im waiting with such suspense right now!! Ill bet her hair looks really nice after the cut.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I bet it will look great! (munching popcorn while I wait)

momschicklets
January 6th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Oooh...looks like I jumped on at a good time...can't wait to see the transformation! I'm joining Sarahlabyrinth for popcorn :popcorn:

Nadine <3
January 6th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Here it is! We chopped it off.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7515/16191882536_8f80c49d0d.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qEPCyy)011 (https://flic.kr/p/qEPCyy) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

I think it will look curlier after a wash, I tried dampening it and scrunching in some condish but...I don't think it worked very well lol

Nadine <3
January 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8672/16030280048_b48fc82a6d.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qqxnLL)017 (https://flic.kr/p/qqxnLL) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

She wanted me to post this one because she like it lol

lapushka
January 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM
It looks better already. Amazing! Just keep feeding her great (curly) advice.

Belle Paix
January 6th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Ouch, that's a lot of length gone...but it definitely looks healthier!

MeAndTheMaz
January 6th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Yeah. That looks much better. Might I suggest, though, maybe a bit of a U to the hem?

She's in very good hands.

hannabiss
January 6th, 2015, 04:24 PM
So much better! Its like night and day! Hope she grows it long. Im jealous of the curly girls and feel like theyre doing injustice by not letting them curls roam free.

momschicklets
January 6th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Wow...I'm dumbstruck! Her hair is *really* beautiful and with some good care and a lot of patience, her hair could be super fantastic. How very brave of her to cut all that damage off in one big chop, and what a good friend you are to help her with this. I look forward to her progress pictures in the future!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Oooh that looks so much better now! Well done! Now she will be able to enjoy doing all the right things to her hair.

Caraid♫
January 6th, 2015, 07:08 PM
you did a really great job Nadine! I really hope she'll stay off the heat- her hair is so gorgeous when it's all that texture! :D

Kelikea
January 6th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Beautiful! I'm sure she's loving her "new" look:)

CurlyCap
January 6th, 2015, 09:35 PM
A cheat to the U-hem is to do a curl-by-curl cut after she washes, conditions, and sets.

Basically, go through her hair and trim the curl where it stops curling. It looks like ~1-2" up the length, and it'll vary depending on the clump. The curl by curl will break up the harsh hemline and add a little dimension to her curls without worrying about the difficulties inhering with layering.

JellyBene
January 7th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Yay it looks so good! as the condition continues to improve, likely the curls will too :)

jeanniet
January 7th, 2015, 09:12 AM
A cheat to the U-hem is to do a curl-by-curl cut after she washes, conditions, and sets.

Basically, go through her hair and trim the curl where it stops curling. It looks like ~1-2" up the length, and it'll vary depending on the clump. The curl by curl will break up the harsh hemline and add a little dimension to her curls without worrying about the difficulties inhering with layering.

Yes, this. Her hair looks great now, but a bit more will really make the curls pop. If you're not comfortable doing curl by curl, do a bit of laying with the compact cut (ponytail on top of crown) but only about 1/4-1/2" (go cautiously). Then you can snip curls for a little lift. You'll get the idea as you go. That's what I did to fix a bad cut (too flat) and it came out pretty well.

spidermom
January 7th, 2015, 09:29 AM
In my experience, a straight-across cut on wavy or curly hair = pyramid. If that happens and she doesn't like it, layers help.