PDA

View Full Version : Modern hair problems: fun article

Entangled
January 1st, 2015, 03:00 PM
This was a fun article.
http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=60364 (http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=60364)

I was pleasantly surprised by this article. Usually such articles bemoan thigs such as animal fat in hair and focus on Victorian era techniques which aren't actually very harmful (with the exception of poisonous hair products). This one focused on actual dangerous things. I'm surprised they didn't bring up polish plaits, though. Thoughts?

Nadine <3
January 1st, 2015, 03:08 PM
Mental floss is one of my favorites. Some of that had me squirming though. Anyone here use cow blood in their henna? Crushed Tadpoles?:stirpot:

jacqueline101
January 1st, 2015, 03:24 PM
I was creeped out about the lice on the mummy. Then the men refusing to remove their hats due to lice.

MsPharaohMoan
January 1st, 2015, 03:57 PM
lead comb dipped in vinegar for hair darkening? interesting. anyone know the science behind that one? is it damaging?

Salty Sloth
January 1st, 2015, 04:00 PM
lead comb dipped in vinegar for hair darkening? interesting. anyone know the science behind that one? is it damaging?

Since it's lead which is incredibly toxic I wouldn't let it anywhere near me let alone in my hair where it could be in contact with my skin.

pixldust
January 2nd, 2015, 02:29 AM
The monks plucking their hair made me cringe. That'd bring tears to your eyes. I also find it amazing that 17th c French women could have put up with those towering hair styles. They must've weighed a heck of a lot and caused a fair few head and neck pains. And sulphuric acid on your hair? :shudder:

Entangled
January 2nd, 2015, 09:59 AM
Some of the chemicals we put in our heads scare me. Like bleach.:|

meteor
January 2nd, 2015, 12:44 PM
This part is really crazy: "Romans darkened their hair using a lead comb dipped in vinegar and made it blond with a mixture of pigeon dung and human pee. During England’s Elizabethan era, when red hair became faddish, folks opted for a delicious cocktail of rhubarb juice and sulfuric acid. In a surprising twist, this would often burn off the hair, which made balding high foreheads vogue, even for women."

But I must admit, I love how they made the best out of this unfortunate hair-loss: just make balding fashionable! :cheese:

I have a theory that that's also how ombre got popular: long hair became fashionable but lots of folks already had bleach/dye that would break their hair off if they kept reapplying it... So what to do? Ombre!

Some of the chemicals we put in our heads scare me. Like bleach.:|

Yes, I bet when chemists finally find a way of lightening hair without bleach and damage (pretty please! :pray:), they'll be laughing at our sad use of bleach.

pixldust
January 4th, 2015, 11:15 AM
I wonder if they'll write articles like this in a hundred+ years, and people will cringe while they read about things like bleach, PPD containing dyes and Brazilian blowdries?