PDA

View Full Version : Shiny scalp - HELP?!

Bisq
January 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM
So around a month ago I noticed that my scalp was SHINY. Like balled men-grade shiny. It looks as if I have a really oily scalp, but I rub a finger on it and it doesn't seem oily. Even after I wash it it's still shiny. I'd been to a hair salon and dyed and cut my hair, but I don't know if it was like this before or after the appointment. I just know that my scalp didn't look like this before.
I googled and all results lead to hair loss articles or forum posts, as shiny scalp was likely due to overproduction of sebum and thus leading to hair loss. I haven't noticed a change in my hair (yet) but I'm losing like 20+ hairs in the shower, although that may (or not) be normal.

My hair is pretty thin, it gets greasy if I don't wash it for 2 days. I usually use a shampoo called Nioxin which is advertised for its ability to remove excess sebum and deep clean the scalp, I haven't changed anything so don't know why my scalp turned this way. It's driving me crazy as my hair is also dark, the scalp shines through and makes my hair looks even thinner! :( Can anyone help me with this?

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 02:40 PM
You know, I would recommend that you see a doctor, to be honest. Of course, it could be as simple as Nioxin being too drying and pushing your scalp to overproduce oils, but it could be a lot more serious.

Have you measured your ponytail circumference over some time, at least a few months? 20+ hairs lost in the shower sounds like very little, so I wouldn't worry about that number at all. But since you already use Nioxin (it's for thinning hair and supposed to really deep-clean the scalp) and you see shiny scalp... Shiny hair is OK, but seeing shiny scalp is something I would really want a doctor's opinion on. I would get blood tests done, especially focused on thyroid hormones, iron, vitamins B12, D, etc.

I really hope the situation will soon improve dramatically! :flower: Best of luck! And happy growing! :D

Bisq
January 1st, 2015, 02:48 PM
Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately doctors in my city don't take hair problems seriously. Last time I'd been to a doctor due to hair concerns (probably a year ago), I had to persistently nag my way through the receptionist to get an appointment. I got my blood tested for thyroid, iron and vitamins level and they appeared normal. Can shiny scalp be related to a deeper problem?

yogagirl
January 1st, 2015, 02:54 PM
Was your scalp less shiny before or could it be that you're noticing the shininess more now for some reason?

I think scalp can also get shiny when too harsh of a shampoo is used. Since you're saying it doesn't feel oily, maybe this could be the case? Did it start when you started using Nioxin?

Bisq
January 1st, 2015, 03:11 PM
Was your scalp less shiny before or could it be that you're noticing the shininess more now for some reason?

I think scalp can also get shiny when too harsh of a shampoo is used. Since you're saying it doesn't feel oily, maybe this could be the case? Did it start when you started using Nioxin?

My scalp was definitely less shiny before. I've also checked my mother's and boyfriend's scalp and theirs are definitely matte. I had been using Nioxin for about a year prior to noticing the scalp shine (which was around a month ago), and even so I sometimes (but not often) alternated with Sascha Juan's scalp shampoo.

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 03:20 PM
My scalp was definitely less shiny before. I've also checked my mother's and boyfriend's scalp and theirs are definitely matte. I had been using Nioxin for about a year prior to noticing the scalp shine (which was around a month ago), and even so I sometimes (but not often) alternated with Sascha Juan's scalp shampoo.

Well, if you are using Nioxin because a doctor prescribed it, I'd go back and ask the doctor, of course.
But if you just decided to use Nioxin on your own, you might want to try rotating it or just plain experiment with another product instead to see if it will help? I've heard many people complain that Nioxin was extremely drying to their scalp, so they stopped... but I'm certainly in no position to recommend stopping it, because I don't know your particular situation.

Bisq
January 1st, 2015, 08:12 PM
Well, if you are using Nioxin because a doctor prescribed it, I'd go back and ask the doctor, of course.
But if you just decided to use Nioxin on your own, you might want to try rotating it or just plain experiment with another product instead to see if it will help? I've heard many people complain that Nioxin was extremely drying to their scalp, so they stopped... but I'm certainly in no position to recommend stopping it, because I don't know your particular situation.
This may be true, although I just remembered that I actually hadn't been using Nioxin for a few months prior to the hair salon appointment, and then I started using it again after I noticed my scalp super shiny and it's been a month now. I don't know, it just bothers the hell out of me :/