PDA

View Full Version : All Natural Shampoo UK????

jnnfrch
January 1st, 2015, 01:28 PM
So I've been using Avalon Organics shampoos, the tea tree, biotin complex, lemon and rosemary ones, but having read the ingredients, it doesnt sound like theyre too good for your hair :(

I've been recommended the Calia Hydrating shampoo but it's proving impossible to get hold of in the UK

Does anyone have some all natural shampoos that you can get hold of in the UK????

(I'm not keen on using Baking soda, my hairs fine and I don't think it would cope with it well!)

Panth
January 1st, 2015, 01:53 PM
What ingredients in particular are you concerned about / unsure about?

What is your definition of "natural"?

If you really want absolutely no synthetic chemicals, you'd probably be best considering foodstuff/herbal methods such as egg, soapnuts or Indian herbs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17). You would probably be able to get advice on those by posting in the "Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare" part of the forums.

Also, you're quite right about baking soda. It is both chemically damaging (due to the very high pH) and very abrasive. There are very, very few people who can use it sucessfully long-term and pretty much none of those are actually growing / have long hair. Also, baking soda isn't really that natural - it's made using synthetic processes, just like lots of other chemicals. People just seem to be less scared of it because it's edible, single-ingredient and they can pronounce it...

schweedie
January 1st, 2015, 01:57 PM
I was going to suggest Naked Bodycare, which was a UK company, but it seems they've gone out of business. :( But if you can find their products anywhere - I know Boots used to stock them - their Sensitive Scalp shampoo was really great for me.

And hey, it does seem like you can order it from Boots (http://www.boots.com/en/Naked-Care-Mildness-Unadorned-Sensitive-Shampoo-250ml_853919/)!

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 02:21 PM
What ingredients in particular are you concerned about / unsure about?

What is your definition of "natural"?

If you really want absolutely no synthetic chemicals, you'd probably be best considering foodstuff/herbal methods such as egg, soapnuts or Indian herbs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17). You would probably be able to get advice on those by posting in the "Recipes, Henna and Herbal Haircare" part of the forums.

Also, you're quite right about baking soda. It is both chemically damaging (due to the very high pH) and very abrasive. There are very, very few people who can use it sucessfully long-term and pretty much none of those are actually growing / have long hair. Also, baking soda isn't really that natural - it's made using synthetic processes, just like lots of other chemicals. People just seem to be less scared of it because it's edible, single-ingredient and they can pronounce it...

Excellent answer! :agree: I was typing out the same thing when I saw that you succinctly expressed exactly what I meant, too.

I'd say things that I would recommend as natural would be primarily herbs to make a paste/mud "cleanser". You could experiment with shikakai, aritha (soapnuts), clays, maybe even eggs? (Note: shikakai is more conditioning than aritha, which can be drying, I would say.)

Also, please don't forget that even water is a chemical, and certainly Avalon Organics and Calia that you mentioned and any other "organics" company still uses lab-manufactured chemicals, and, unfortunately, many plant extracts that they use have a potential to build up on hair, often without any scientific research to support the idea of including them in formulations in the first place. :confused:
And pronounceability of ingredients certainly does not correlate with effectiveness and safety.